PDA

View Full Version : What's the consensus on washing with hot water?

SpecialKitty
March 21st, 2009, 10:21 PM
I've read a couple of blogs and posts that mention not using hot water to wash or rinse hair - that this can cause splits and white dots. I've always loved the feeling of hot water on my scalp, face and skin. Especially because I tend to feel cold a lot.

Do those of you who have long hair in good condition avoid hot water most of the time? I would love to find a way to prevent new damage if that would help. Otherwise, my hair care routine is very damage-free.

BranwenWolf
March 21st, 2009, 10:24 PM
I've used hot water all my life. I tried the warm/cool rinse thing and all it left me was freezing, I didn't notice a difference with my hair.

spidermom
March 21st, 2009, 10:35 PM
On my hair, I use water warm enough that it feels good on my body, too. Sometimes I crave hotter water and move my hair out of the way or clip it up.

DragonLady
March 21st, 2009, 10:37 PM
I've always used hot water. But after months here trying all kinds of different things, my only recurring problem is still white dots and splits. The last two washes I'ved used much cooler water, and think I already see some improvement. It may be awhile before I know for sure, but I still get damage, and the water is the only potential source I can find.

LittleOrca
March 21st, 2009, 10:38 PM
I wash in warm water. I have tried to rinse in cooler water, but it left me cold as well and very uncomfortable. My hair has responded well to the warm water so far in my life, so I figured, "Why change now?"

LittleOrca
March 21st, 2009, 10:39 PM
I've always used hot water. But after months here trying all kinds of different things, my only recurring problem is still white dots and splits. The last two washes I'ved used much cooler water, and think I already see some improvement. It may be awhile before I know for sure, but I still get damage, and the water is the only potential source I can find.

Do you have hard water maybe? If you do, I know there are some shampoos and conditioners at I think it was Sally's that is made to work with hard water. Never tried it though.

spidermom
March 21st, 2009, 10:43 PM
My hair has improved since keeping it out of hot water. I hope that was the last bad habit I have to give up to keep my hair in good condition.

hurricane_gia
March 21st, 2009, 10:44 PM
After I read, here at LHC, about the importance of using cold water on hair, I tried it a few times. I hated it every time and never kept it up long enough to see if it improved my hair or not. I just cannot stand cold water touching me! So, I just deal with whatever the effects of hot or warm water are.

DragonLady
March 21st, 2009, 10:45 PM
Do you have hard water maybe? If you do, I know there are some shampoos and conditioners at I think it was Sally's that is made to work with hard water. Never tried it though.

Yes; I hadn't considered hard water. I'll look into that a bit. Thanks! :)

BunnyBee
March 21st, 2009, 10:45 PM
I absolutely hate cold water, still I try to turn the temp down when i wash my hair and at least do a final cool rinse. I've not noticed any damage occurring from using hot water but if you can stand it, cooler is most probably gentler. Not to mention that the warm/cold switch will help boost your circulation which can only be a good thing :)

SpecialKitty
March 21st, 2009, 10:46 PM
Interesting responses so far.......thank you! :flowers:

Spidermom, I like the idea of clipping my hair out of the way when I need a hot water fix.

It seems that most of you are using warm and not hot water. I may just wash/rinse with warm water for awhile. I'm pretty sure the water I've been using has been too hot for my hair.

BritHair
March 21st, 2009, 10:48 PM
I always use hot water to shower. I have also tried warm and cool water shower/shampooing. I have not really noticed any changes with my hair after either temperature.

I only wash my hair once a week though. I put a shower cap on for my daily showers.

Hmmmm....hot feels good so I guess I'll stay with my hot shower.:eyebrows:

Ash
March 21st, 2009, 11:00 PM
I use hot water daily in the shower. If I don't, my hair will be limp and dull all day and an overnight oiling will never come out. I do a final rinse with cold distilled water though. I don't notice extra damage from this.

Heavenly Locks
March 21st, 2009, 11:04 PM
I wash with hot water on my self (not as hot as my hubby though, he likes to roast!) and I do a final rinse with cool water. It's been working great for me. I don't have much damage at all, few splits and few white dots.

Helen Baq
March 21st, 2009, 11:25 PM
I use very warm/hot water, but rinse with cool or cold. How long I do a cold rinse depends on the season, but the change in temperature is good for circulation and good to do in the shower, as well, if you wash your hair separately. I've read that the cold water helps to relax the scales on the hair shaft so that it's smooth and shiny. It also helps keep your hair cleaner longer, I think. It's good to rinse your face with cold water after you wash it, as well. It helps stimulate blood flow and tighten pores. :)

ReddishRocks
March 21st, 2009, 11:25 PM
After I read, here at LHC, about the importance of using cold water on hair, I tried it a few times. I hated it every time and never kept it up long enough to see if it improved my hair or not. I just cannot stand cold water touching me! So, I just deal with whatever the effects of hot or warm water are.

Yeah, I hate the feeling of cold water on my head and body. :tmi: I have always read that it settles the cuticle of your hair shaft back down after the warm water, but I'm told you can also accomplish that using diluted apple cider vinegar (has to do with hair's pH being more acidic than water, blah blah).

That said, I'm lazy. :D If I want a cold rinse, I use the shower with the hose shower head so I can avoid my body as much as possible... but then I have to deal with the cold drips down my back later, LOL!

I wash with warm to hot water most of the time, even though I list a cold rinse as a part of my routine. :o

Myrrh
March 21st, 2009, 11:39 PM
My hair seems less frizzy when I use cool water. But, I love hot water and I hate being cold. So I'll do a cold water rinse with my body out of the water, then turn on the really hot water and just let it sluice down my neck/shoulders and keep my head out of the way the best I can :)

Cantabile
March 22nd, 2009, 12:21 AM
I prefer using lukewarm water for the general hair washing process simply because it feels nice and soothing. :D Once I'm done washing though, I pin it out of the way with a ficcare, and I'll turn up the heat for the rest of my shower. I follow at the very end with a cold rinse. I get excellent results with this - closing of the follicles, smooth hair, and such.

Cinnamon Hair
March 22nd, 2009, 12:25 AM
I use hot water to wash my hair. No cold at all unless the hot runs out :) Awhile back I tried cold water rinsing at the end of my shower, but decided it wasn't worth the trouble.

longhairedfairy
March 22nd, 2009, 12:59 AM
I think it depends on the individual person/hair type. I use warm water pretty much all the time, but I don't like to use hot water because it makes my skin irritated and my stomach feel sick. My sister tried rinsing with cold water once and said that it did make it smoother.

EdG
March 22nd, 2009, 10:04 AM
I wash with warm water. It seems to work well. :)

I have my water heater temperature set fairly low, partly to save energy but also because I don't have a need for really hot water.
Ed

AnneAdeline
March 22nd, 2009, 10:32 AM
During the warmer months, I tend to do a final rinse with cool water. I find it very refreshing, and my hair does seem to like it. When it is cold, however, warm water is my friend.

Radulfr
March 22nd, 2009, 10:35 AM
I never wash with hot water. Just doesn't feel right. Too damaging or something.

xeternalsilence
March 22nd, 2009, 10:41 AM
Don't know if this has been mentioned. I haven't read the whole thread...

For the past 3 days, I've taken cool/cold showers. Up until then, I wash with hot water and followed with a 30 second cold water rinse.

I've started the cool/cold water showers not only for hair, but because I've read recently that it was great for anxiety and depression. My hair looks better than it ever has. It's so soft and shiny and the curls form beautifully. I was extremely skeptical at first, because up until then I really hated cold water on my body, so I had to kind of work my way into it the first time, but it's totally worth it.

The only time I use warm water is right before I put my conditioner in and right after - to rinse it.

Not sure if it's only psychosomatic, but I really do feel a bit better as far as the depression and anxiety goes after the showers - which really was one of my biggest reasons for doing it in the first place. Supposedly, contrast showers (going from as hot as you can stand to as cold as you can stand and switching back and forth) are even better, but I was advised not to do that because of my heart problems.

I'm gonna stop rambling now. This has gotten off topic. :o
Anyway, to summarize - my hair looks/feels significant better with no hot water on it at all with the cold showers than with just the final cold water rinse.

AJoifulNoise
March 22nd, 2009, 10:44 AM
I wash with hot water. Always have. I'm not really prone to splits (I didn't take scissors to my hair for over 3 years and only had a few splits in that time). I do a quick cold rinse before I get out, but that is as much for washing my face (can't stand hot water, or even warm, on my face) as it is for my hair.

Anje
March 22nd, 2009, 11:10 AM
Hmmm. I wash my hair with nice warm water, same temperature I use on the rest of my body, and while my hair is in generally good condition, it is quite split-prone. (I'm noticing a lot right now, but that could have something to do with flying and with not having hair scissors with me. I always find more splits when I can't get my scissors.) I might consider washing my hair in cooler (probably lukewarm, I don't like freezing, and my house is cold in the winter), if there's evidence that it makes a significant difference.

ratgirldjh
March 22nd, 2009, 11:27 AM
there must be something to this
because i have washed my hair in the sink in lukewarm water and finished with a cold rinse for years and i have never had splits or white dots
i've always liked what cold water does for my hair better than hot or even warm

but then i take hot or warm baths and put my hair up when i'm in the bath

Buddaphlyy
March 22nd, 2009, 12:09 PM
Since I wash in the shower, I use lukewarm water. Hot water makes me ... well... hot, and uncomfortable and so does too cold water, so I pick a temperature in between.

Johanna64
March 22nd, 2009, 12:42 PM
I wash with warm water,my skin don't like too hot water.It's so drying.
But my final rinse is always with cold water,I think it makes my hair a little shinier.

Silverlox
March 22nd, 2009, 12:53 PM
Perhaps some of the confusion comes from how each of us define "hot"?

I use something between lukewarm and warm for washing, as that is the most comfortable. Hot water on my scalp gives me a headache, so the hair never got a vote on that one.

On the other side, I always wash my hair separately from my body and in the summer a cool rinse of the hair and scalp can be very nice. Not ice cold! Brrrr!

sandigirl
March 22nd, 2009, 12:59 PM
I have very thick healthy hair. I use warm wash and rinse. I don't think hot will hurt you but you should rinse with warm. Someone told me cooler rinses were better but I don't like them either unless it is really hot outside.

LadyLongLocks
March 22nd, 2009, 01:41 PM
For my first shampoo I do like the water more hot. I avoid the ends by bending forward and concentrate on the scalp with shampoo and warmer water. Then for the second shampoo I do it with warm water. I rinse with it a bit cooler. I always pre condition the ends of my hair with conditioner,coconut oil and water mixed.

janeytilllie
March 22nd, 2009, 01:49 PM
I think everyones hair and scalps react differently? My hair hates warm/hot water it makes my hair frizzy and dry. So I tend to wash in cool water. Nice in the summer :) but very uncomfortable in winter :( ! The things we do for our hair :D

SmellyJelly
March 22nd, 2009, 01:58 PM
I always thought it was bad for hair as I once read that using hot water on hair that has been dyed a colour you dislike, that the hot water will help strip the colour. Stripping colour is bad for hair, I guess it is making hair more porus which leads to less moisture.But I do love using hot water especially if Im cold :)

SpecialKitty
March 22nd, 2009, 02:14 PM
Thanks everyone for the great replies! :flowers:

Of course, I tend to look down the thread to find out who has hair types similar to mine. Most ii's seem to like cooler or warm (not hot) water for hair health (ie: no splits or white dots).

I think I'm going to be changing my routine!

freznow
March 22nd, 2009, 02:18 PM
I use hot water, I can't stand anything less in winter. In the summer I move it down to warm and sometimes cool. It harms my hair [not drastically, I imagine, but it makes it feel rough] and I know it, I wish I could break the habit. It gets easier, though, as warm weather comes.

julya
March 22nd, 2009, 02:23 PM
I like to rinse just the length with cold water at the end of my shower for a minute or two. I try to avoid getting the cold onto my body. I wash with warm water.

ETA My hair is more shiny and less tangle prone if I do the cold rinse.

viking_quest
March 22nd, 2009, 04:30 PM
I wash in hot water and I don't have any damage. I can't stand washing in anything cooler than that except for my final rinse in cooler/cold water which only lasts for a few seconds anyway.

Rini
March 22nd, 2009, 09:26 PM
Hi there SpecialKitty!!!:flowers:

I use warm water, but always do an icy cold rinse at the end. Of course, this is easy in the horribly hot summer here. In winter though, I do a contortionist-like back bend in the shower so that the cold water only goes on my head/hair and not on my body (or else the dive reflex kicks in and I'm gasping for breath!)

HTH

LadyEliza
March 22nd, 2009, 09:51 PM
I don't have a problem with cold water. I wish I had a swimming pool full of it.

I wash in hot water, wash my hair in warm water, but I always rince my hair in cold water in summer, slightly warmer in winter.

There are advantages in living in the subtropics :)

Electronika
March 22nd, 2009, 09:59 PM
I have always used hotter water. I feel that cold water is a slow and painful torture.

I do not think it is especially bad for you.

Alaskanheart
March 23rd, 2009, 12:52 AM
I generally wash my hair in luke warm water, and final rinse with freezing cold water. It has made a huge difference in how my hair dries frizzy and flyaway vs smooth wavies.

That being said I can only tolerate cool and freezing water on my scalp, once it touches my back its like pure torture. I am very good at keeping my body safe during the luke warm and freezing rinses.

Bloodflower
March 23rd, 2009, 03:39 AM
I've tried cold rinses after washing but have never seen of felt any difference in my hair. I wash my hair in water that feels warm to me so I don't freeze and continue the rest of the shower with hot water. Works for me and my hair!

Emme76
March 23rd, 2009, 03:42 AM
I always wash my hair with warm water.
Then I get out of the shower - just pop my head in there - for a final COLD rinse. I use really cold water. It has made a difference on my very fine hair. I never put the cold in when I am still standing in the shower. I HATE the cold...lol...

Katze
March 23rd, 2009, 04:53 AM
I always wash with warm water, except in the very hottest weather when I might end my showers with a cold rinse.

Long ago when I was a serious bike racer and rather more disciplined than I am now, I often showered cold, but it was always like a form of torture. Since moving to a climate that is mostly cool and damp, hot water is one of the things that keeps me happy and healthy. I am not willing to give this up for my hair.

Since coming to LHC I have a lot less splits than I ever did. I think the good care makes up for any damage I might be doing to my hair by using warm water.

brok3nwings
March 23rd, 2009, 05:56 AM
Ups... i have to start thinking about this lol i loveee hot water, warm is cold to me considering most people, i really use hot hot water so hot that i cant put it in my face...only the rest of the body and hair..so yes, i will stop it at least on my hair. :/
does anyone know how about sauna heat and hair damage?

akka naeda
March 23rd, 2009, 06:05 AM
I use warm water to wash my hair, and then as cold a rinse at the end as I can stand. For me cold water doesn't get shampoo or conditioner out so well, so it's much quicker (and uses less water) to use warmer water for washing.

Arctic_Mama
March 23rd, 2009, 03:58 PM
I use hotter than body temp for my shampoo rinse and cooler than body temp for my conditioner rinse. It works very well.

You want to use slightly hotter water to rinse shampoo in general, otherwise you may end up with residue in your hair. I had a very skilled hairdresser warn me of this when I was younger and indicated I washed in coolor cold only. She said this was great for a conditioner rinse but that I'd have better results going hotter initially.

She was right, at least when it came to my hair.

Katla
March 23rd, 2009, 04:08 PM
I love hot showers too much. Finishing off with cold, wet hair (even when I try to keep the rest of me from a unwanted cold shower) was more than I was willing to do. I figure, I wash my hair once a week at the most and I've always used hot water and not seen any obvious downsides to it, so I'll probably stick with that.

The only time I'm likely to give my hair a cool rinse is in summer, during heatwaves. And that's less for my hair's sake and more because I'm melting :o

gmdiaz
March 23rd, 2009, 05:33 PM
Lukewarm water. . .

Life is too short to force yourself to endure cold water. And I haven't seen that it helps much.

shayly-fyanna
March 25th, 2009, 03:11 AM
I've always used hot water to wash hair and body, not steaming but sometimes in very cold weather as hot as i can stand it. never noticed any harm or damage. the cold water makes me sick, trully i've tried cool water and even have washed just my hair upside down in a tub with cold tap water and every time i've done it i've gotten sick within a few days. but mostly it happens in winter, so maybe it has more to do with cold weather and very cold water. of course there are days in summer that i need and desire a cool water bath but that's different, i rarely get sick in the summer. i've not noticed any change, even the shine is brighter when i wash with hot water. but of course that is my own humble opinion. i say do what works, tried so many things that did not work or worked for a few days/weeks but not for longer that i basically now stick to what works for my hair and skin and take advice often but never make a decision on what someone else has experienced or done. I experiment often with many things, but it all comes down to what my skin, hair and body need and want.

tiny_teesha
March 25th, 2009, 04:01 AM
i noticed hair bubbles when i used hot water, but my hair is mostly fine, some medium top is coarse.

GlassEyes
March 25th, 2009, 04:09 AM
I use hot water to shower with, and then I rinse with cold (if I can be bothered).

I haven't noticed if it's given me damage, but I don't see any white dots when it's dry. :shrug: It probably does some sort of damage, but meh, I don't like cold water.

That said, I do think the final rinse does help a bit.

kwaniesiam
March 25th, 2009, 04:10 AM
I wash in hot water, rinse in lukewarm-cool depending on the temperature outside. My hair has yet to protest, but I don't tolerate heat well so to me, "hot" may be warm to someone else :shrug:

Nera
March 25th, 2009, 04:15 AM
I don't wash my hair with hot water.

Because I'm obsessed with not-damaging my hair. So I do everything I can.
And I do a final rinse with icecold water...

marzipanthecat
March 25th, 2009, 05:57 AM
Yes, I do use hot water (I like the feel of hot water on me too!) but I do find that my hair is a lot easier to comb out after washing it if I use cooler (NOT cold, just not really hot) water to wash it.

I haven't found it makes a huge difference to my hair generally, though.

earthdancer
March 25th, 2009, 06:50 AM
I have a condition (I actually found out that it's a "syndrome", a real medical condition) where I get severe cold/flu-like symptoms when exposed to cold water - within minutes of exposure - and my muscles get almost paralyzed. So, I stay away from icy-cold water, but lukewarm is what I use on my hair. Hot water on my scalp makes my hair get very oily fast. I've only had problems with split ends in the last year as my hair went past BSL.

Deborah
March 25th, 2009, 04:31 PM
I wash my hair in water as hot as I can stand it! Yep. I've tried warm, lukewarm and even ice cold, but they all feel miserable, and none gets my hair as clean as hot, steamy water.

I do a final rinse in ice cold water, to close the cuticle. I've always done that.

LHGypsyRose
March 25th, 2009, 04:59 PM
I have always washed with warmer water. After a dilluted ACV rinse I do my final rinse with cool (but not freezing cold) water.
I use to get little white dots all the time, but the main thing I found that changed that was when I stopped using SLS shampoos.

avraea
March 26th, 2009, 01:25 PM
I wash my hair in the shower, and I always wash both hair and body in barely lukewarm water. If I wash my hair in warm, or worse, hot water, I end up with more flyaways and frizz. More importantly though, anything warmer than lukewarm water makes my skin dry, and in the winter, if I use anything even close to hot water, my skin will get so dry that it's itchy.

I'd rather deal with lukewarm water than tight itchy skin.

Forever_Sophie
March 26th, 2009, 03:17 PM
I love hot water but do a final cold rinse religiously. I have a hand held shower head, so the rest of me doesn't feel it ;)

Feline
March 26th, 2009, 04:58 PM
I love hot water, really hot water. I always wash my hair in hot, but do the final rinse using cold. Since I hate standing under the showerhead and getting cold water all over, I fill a demoted water bottle with real cold water before getting in the shower, then rinse with that. Works good. :thumbsup:

Silverlox
March 26th, 2009, 05:08 PM
Special Kitty, I'm just wondering about one thing in your OP. :flower:

Consensus? :bigeyes: On anything except for the love of long hair?

Eh.. You know this is LHC, right? :silly:

DMARTINEZ
March 26th, 2009, 05:20 PM
I wash with warm water and rinse too. But if I want a final cold rinse, I just lean sideways and
let the cool water rinse through the length with my hand held shower head. EASY!

Deb