PDA

View Full Version : Thickening My Pony?

Urchin
April 1st, 2008, 06:10 PM
Does anyone have tips for thickening my ponytail circumference? Is that even possible. I know growing my bangs will help, anything else? I have a bit under a 4 inch circumference, and fine-medium hairs.

I want that long, thick, serpentine braid I've dreamed of since I was young.

sapphire-o
April 1st, 2008, 07:26 PM
I'm sure a 4" ponytail is enough for that long, thick braid you want. :) Ya and adding the layers and bangs should help, too. All you need is to grow it longer. :)

Jeni
April 1st, 2008, 07:46 PM
Wow, 4"! Mine is only 2.5". :(

OhioLisa
April 1st, 2008, 07:46 PM
4" is a pretty good thickness, in my opinion. Some of us here have much less. And there really isn't much you can do about it anyway. Enjoy what you have! I'm sure your braid will look great. :)

doodlesmart
April 1st, 2008, 07:48 PM
I don't have much advice, but since I ride, I saw this and thought: beet pulp and rice bran? (Two horse feeds that can be used to well, um, thicken ponies) :rolling:

Anje
April 1st, 2008, 07:54 PM
Another post from someone envying the thickness you already have.... I'm another making the most of 2.5 inches.

You might get more in a few ways, though.

Scalp massage and similar methods to increase bloodflow to scalp.
Multivitamins -- if you're deficient in something, your hair won't grow as thick or as nice.
Henna. Before you do this, make sure you know what you're getting into. Henna adds an orangey-red coating to your hair and is more easily removed with scissors than with chemicals. Thickness from it lasts for a while. Cassia might also thicken (I don't know from personal experience), and leaves only a faint yellow cast on hair that is rarely noticable.
Different washing methods. Some may cause you to shed more than others. I found I shed minimally with water-only washing, but I struggled with dryness. Still trying to find the best solution.
Miconazole. Check out the Monistat thread -- some people are noticing fantastic growth applying the stuff to their scalps.

Hope that helps. YMMV.

Urchin
April 1st, 2008, 08:22 PM
Thanks for the advice, ladies!

I'll try to appreciate what I've got more. The grass is always greener, eh?

I do scalp massages. I'm going to get some multivitamins like you suggested, Anje. I already henna, but I'm concerned about getting overly red. At the least I'll keep up my roots.

Oh, and I'll finally read the Monistat thread. I've never taken it seriously, perhaps it's time!

spidermom
April 1st, 2008, 08:27 PM
To keep thickness from nape to ends, you will probably have to do some trimming. So far, I've had the best growth combined with the best-looking and thicker ends with a schedule of trimming off about 1/2 inch every 3 months.