PDA

View Full Version : Is it damaging to go outside with wet hair?

Yedda
March 21st, 2009, 07:53 PM
Is it damaging to go outside with wet hair?

Is it damaging to go outside with wet hair in the winter (when your hair turns into icesickles)?

I tend to go outside with my hair wet, and I'm wondering if it could cause damage, or if it makes a difference with different temperature?

sneakybea
March 21st, 2009, 08:17 PM
I hope it's not damaging to go outside with wet hair, because I do it all the time. I don't do it when it's below freezing, though, because I think frozen hair has to be a bad thing; it might break right off! If it's just below freezing, I'll sometimes tuck my wet hair into a hat, and let it dry on the bus or in my office.

marla
March 21st, 2009, 08:21 PM
I go outside with wet hair all the time, because I don't use heat products. When I lived in the north, I would get icicles in my hair. I didn't notice any problem.

AmyJorgensen
March 21st, 2009, 08:34 PM
My belief is that it doesn't damage it. My hair has been routinely getting frozen in the winter for years. It has never snapped off...it simple gets stiff and then melts and bends when my warmer hand touches it, or when I go inside. However, I should say it is never in those conditions for longer than 20 minutes...usually more like 5-10. Maybe it could freeze hard in super cold temperatures, but I haven't had any trouble in as low as 0 degrees F.

spidermom
March 21st, 2009, 08:35 PM
I've got a nice cozy angora hat to tuck my hair into if I have to go out when it's wet. The only damage I get from that is tangles.

bjjowett1993
March 21st, 2009, 08:44 PM
The only way I could see the hair getting damaged by freezing is because water expands when frozen, so it may do something to the hair when it is holding water, or wet at the time.

may1em
March 21st, 2009, 08:45 PM
I'd say going outside with wet hair is not generally a problem. In the warmer months, I do all the time.

That said, hairsicles are pretty brittle, and I imagine they'd break easy. For that reason, I like my warm, fleecy hat.

Ash
March 21st, 2009, 08:45 PM
I have done this every day of my life pretty much and have not noticed any damage from it. Also, my hair stays wet to damp for over 6 hours on work days because it is braided. I have never had icicles in my hair that I can remember, but unless you are frantically headbanging with frozen hair, I doubt it will damage it, cold water is often good for hair.

Igor
March 21st, 2009, 08:50 PM
Is it damaging to go outside with wet hair in the winter (when your hair turns into icesickles)?
If it is so cold that the moisture in your hair freezes: Yes
Water expands by 10% when it turns into ice. Which means that the water inside your hair strand will expand too and push the structure of the hair apart.
Its probably not damage you will be able to see in shape of splits, but it will weaken the structure of the strands
We have all seen what freezing (and expanding water) can do to even the strongest concrete!

Darkhorse1
March 21st, 2009, 08:54 PM
I wouldn't go out in the winter with wet hair for health reasons. It is fun though if your hair freezes, but I can't see it being healthy.

Debra83
March 21st, 2009, 10:42 PM
My ex-boss's hair snapped off when it was frozen in an icicle.

Cinnamon Hair
March 21st, 2009, 11:38 PM
Unless there's a chance for your hair to freeze I think it's safe. People don't get sick from having wet hair, except maybe from hypothermia (but again, no wet hair when it's below freezing), it's the germs that will get you and they don't care whether your hair is wet or not.

Helen Baq
March 22nd, 2009, 12:13 AM
I don't go outside with wet hair when it's cold because I definitely get sick easier when my head gets too cold. I will go outside in the summer with wet hair, though. It will lighten in the sun easier when wet, but I haven't seen a problem with damage.

I'm a night time shower person, however, so I usually don't have wet hair during the day when I'm outside.

Cinnamon Hair
March 22nd, 2009, 12:17 AM
It will lighten in the sun easier when wet...

Really? I have never heard of this. I wonder what causes it, do you have any info?

jera
March 22nd, 2009, 01:35 AM
My ex-boss's hair snapped off when it was frozen in an icicle.

That same thing happened to one of my GFs. I think this is what she must've meant when she asked if it was safe to go out into the cold with wet hair. It will snap and break off if the shaft is frozen in an icicle. :(

Arctic
March 22nd, 2009, 05:26 AM
This is a question I have been thinking sometimes too, as I live in a cold climate and am always running later so I often go out with wet hair. I try to hide my hair under the hat so it's warm and protected.

I also have been thinking if hair really needs to be protected from cold weather (I'm talking about dry hair here) because I see beautiful long hair all the time here, people don't seem to cover their hair from cold and still manage to have healthy hair. It puzzles me because here (LHC) I have started to think like Igor, that the moisture in the hair shaft will expand when it freezes damaging the hair, but then again I see prove of otherwise in real life every day.

Feye
March 22nd, 2009, 05:37 AM
I think that the hair could be in danger of breaking off, if the ice breaks in the middle. However, it also depends on how cold it is. Some places are so cold that everyone knows that you'd better tuck your hair inside the hat, because even breathing on it could break it off. Other places you could go with icicles and nothing happens. It's interesting with the comments about the swelling water when frozen and the damage on the hair shaft... that's scary!

I switch to washing in the evening during winter, and I tuck the hair inside my hood when going outside. I would also worry about catching a cold. Wet hair on the scalp in winter is so... ugh! I avoid it as much as possible.

Feye
March 22nd, 2009, 05:42 AM
I also have been thinking if hair really needs to be protected from cold weather (I'm talking about dry hair here) because I see beautiful long hair all the time here, people don't seem to cover their hair from cold and still manage to have healthy hair. It puzzles me because here (LHC) I have started to think like Igor, that the moisture in the hair shaft will expand when it freezes damaging the hair, but then again I see prove of otherwise in real life every day.

Yes! I see very long beautiful hair here often too! As in the case of a classic length braid the other day, the woman must have knee length hair when unbraided!
I doubt that my hair would look as nice if I wore a braid all day. I would most likely get splits.

Perhaps it depends on the hair type and the speed of growth too? Coarse hairs and 1 inch a month can probably take more than fine to medium hair and 1/2 inch a month.

rach
March 22nd, 2009, 07:41 AM
i think most the time hair is robust generally but when your hair is put through extreemes you instictavly protect it.
really hot weather -you'd rather have it up and out of the way or protected eg under a hat or scarf . therefor protecting you ends from getting fried in the sun.
cold weather you tend to keep it inside clothing mostly are i like using it as abit of a scarf to help keeping you warm.
hows that as a theory ? any good? :p

Speckla
March 22nd, 2009, 08:30 AM
I leave the house with wet hair everyday. No damage from that.

Helen Baq
March 22nd, 2009, 09:14 PM
Really? I have never heard of this. I wonder what causes it, do you have any info?

I don't, I'm sorry. I just know mine always did. It doesn't lighten at all here in Seattle, though. :(

I'll see if I can find some info, though. :)

eadwine
March 23rd, 2009, 03:39 AM
Without reading anyone's replies here, I'd say: no it is not damaging, but with the freezing cold it can be, so don't do it in the freezing cold or protect the hair so it cannot freeze over :)