PDA

View Full Version : Henna on Chemically Dyed Hair

madworldmilly
March 21st, 2009, 04:56 PM
oooh wow,

Henna forum eh! tres exciting!

Joined LHC as my boyfriend has long hair, but henna is definatly something IM interested in

Basically, i have been dying my hair since god knows when. in the last couple of years it has mainly been platinum blonde, right now its reads purple, mainly ontop of my natural colour.

On the ends its purple ontop of blonde, so its a bit brighter, but theres not too much of that left now, as my hair is quite short and i get it cut regularly.

I basically stopped being platinum blonde because of the damage to my hair, My hair was fine with it for about 2 years, but then one time i put the bleach on, and i dont know what was different, but it frazzled my hair.

but anyway, yeah most of the damaged was blonde bit is gone now, except on the very ends, Basically, ive been wanting to treat my hair nicer for a while, and my boyfriend is very keen on me using more natural products and less chemicals on my hair

How do you guys think it would react with my current colour/hair???

Its much healthyer than it was, due to growing out the bleach, but obv it still has the purple red on it.

My hair is super fine, and pretty short too, dont know if this helps at all.

So yeah, just wanted opinions really

Also has anyone in the UK tried the henna dyes from LUSH?

they seem quite good, and all premade which is a bonus!

i eagerly await your replies

sorry I wrote so much!

xxx

RancheroTheBee
March 21st, 2009, 04:59 PM
I used Lush's Caca Rouge over a faded blue-black dye about a year ago. The ends stayed generally quite dark, but I didn't get any green reaction or breaking. But still, try a strand test.

The thing I don't like about Lush's henna is that you have to grate it yourself. It takes loads of time.

madworldmilly
March 21st, 2009, 05:03 PM
oooh thats good to know

heres alink if anyone wants to read about the lush henna

https://www.lush.co.uk/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=445&category_id=519&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=80

x

AcadieAnne
March 21st, 2009, 10:52 PM
I've used Rainbow and Light Mountain brands over hair that is black with blonds streaks at the ends and chemically dyed red (Feria dye, which is said not to react well with henna) in the middle with no ill effects. I have also read that the BAQ henna is safest on colored hair, but I haven't tried BAQ yet.

Isilme
March 22nd, 2009, 04:29 AM
the lush henna is very weak compared to other hennas and are a pain to grate and wash out. And lush's instructions are crappy. Go with baq henna. It shouldn't react to your hairdye, but keep in mind that henna won't lighten, it'll put an red/orange transparent layer over the colour you have now.

IndigoInk
March 22nd, 2009, 08:09 AM
The one time I used Lush henna on my step brother we didn't grate it at all. We stuck it in a ziploc bag, wrapped it in a towel and smashed the crap out of it with a hammer until it was in little bitty pieces. It was fun :D

The instructions are horrid though, I went to Lush's forum and their henna thread as well as hennaforhair and found far better methods than what was included.

HennaMuse
March 22nd, 2009, 08:27 AM
You need to be certain that you've got a henna that is 100% pure. Many hennas packaged for hair have other additives. The thing that's the most harmful to chemically processed hair are metal salts which are used as a mordant and to shift the color. If you aim for BAQ, or body art quality henna you'll be sure to avoid this.

This is a list of trusted suppliers of BAQ henna.
http://hennasuppliers.org/supplier-directory

Jen

mugglemomof3
March 22nd, 2009, 08:27 AM
I've never used henna before, but ordered my first batch from hennaforhair.com last week. Have you read the henna thread? Or done a search for henna-related newbie threads??? Tons of info there.

Anyway, welcome to the boards! Hope you enjoy your stay. :waving: :D

bsc
March 22nd, 2009, 09:37 AM
If you are in UK I recommend you to use henna from www.hennaboy.com. If you are in the US use henna from www.hennaforhair.com. In this last site you can down load a book that tells you all about how to apply henna. I have applied henna over chemically dyed hair and the results have been good. Do a strand test though. Good luck.

Katze
March 22nd, 2009, 09:45 AM
Another UK site is www.renaissancehenna.com - she has nice before and after pics, and is a friendly, kind person too.

There is a wealth of henna information, including for hair, at www.hennatribe.com, which is also a nonprofit.

I dyed with henna over bleached hair and looked like a pumpkin. It was awful. But red-orange-etc are NOT for me, with my complexion, so that could have been part of it. Remember that your hair is extra porous now and will soak up henna just as it soaks up purple etc.

good luck!

Unofficial_Rose
March 22nd, 2009, 09:46 AM
Hennaboy's henna is good quality, pure BAQ.

I have to add that Lush henna doesn't seem to have any nasties (metallic salts etc) in it. I know because I've had bleached highlights over their Caca Rouge! Just wanted to say that because there are often concerns over commercial hennas.

akurah
March 22nd, 2009, 09:06 PM
Frankly? I don't think you will be happy with henna if you change your haircolor frequently, even if you keep your hair short.

Elumen might be a better option.

long.again
March 23rd, 2009, 01:58 PM
Frankly? I don't think you will be happy with henna if you change your haircolor frequently, even if you keep your hair short.

I totally agree and was thinking this as well. Henna is wonderful, you'll get great color, and, if you use good henna, it'll do wonders for your hair. However, it is not like other hair dye, it dyes your hair to the shaft and it is nearly impossible to get out. Especially considering you have fine hair. I have fine hair and it took multiple bleaches to get my henna out - and it ruined my hair. Even to dye over it you are going to have to bleach it a few times.

My recommendation is 1. seriously consider just doing a streak or streaks with the henna before you do your whole head or 2. hold off until you are sure you want to be a henna head for a very long time.

redtea
March 23rd, 2009, 03:22 PM

Another one to agree with this statement. Count on henna being PERMANENT. I did a strand test on my hair a couple weeks ago - left it in bleach for nearly an hour - I think the only color left was a bright bozo orange henna color - all my natural color looked like it had been bleached out of the strand. I've also dyed my hair dark brown twice.. but the brown faded and the red was STILL THERE. So, if you use henna, realize it'll be there until you grow it out and cut if off. It's not fun to deal with if you decide you want to change your haircolor and realize you can't.

madworldmilly
March 23rd, 2009, 05:35 PM
oooh

thanks for all the replies guys, i certainly have alot to think about

i really appreciate your help