PDA

View Full Version : does eating bananas really make your hair grow faster?

ratgirldjh
March 21st, 2009, 03:39 PM
i have just started eating a banana a day - and i heard from someone that this will make your hair grow faster.

i have only been doing this faithfully for about 3 weeks and i swear my hair has grown an inch! when it started feeling longer i thought it was because i had been doing indian herbs a little and not washing it as much - but then my bf noticed it looks longer and one of my friends too.

when we measured it it was actually 1 inch and 3/8" longer than it was just a few weeks before.

this could have been an accident in the measuring - so i'm not getting my hopes up too much - just wondering if anyone else believes this helps!

chrissy-b
March 21st, 2009, 03:43 PM
I eat a banana almost everyday and have for years. I haven't noticed any increased growth from it, but that's awesome if it works for you!

SmellyJelly
March 21st, 2009, 03:55 PM
Bananas are rich in pottasium (correct me if im wrong) Im not sure if that speeds growth but if it does then thats great. Maybe I will blend a banana with my daily pint of soya milk :)

Copasetic
March 21st, 2009, 05:57 PM
I sure wish this worked for me. I eat a banana almost every morning, and I still get a half inch every month in growth.

bjjowett1993
March 21st, 2009, 06:30 PM
Well, if this is true, I'm kind of screwed. I have an intollerance to banannas. :P

Speckla
March 21st, 2009, 07:18 PM
I eat 2 bananas a day. Haven't noticed more growth but it's certainly good for your brain (postassium helps blood flow to the brain).

I thought this thread said dogs eating bananas...lol!

Feline
March 21st, 2009, 10:00 PM
Very interesting. I had never heard that one before. I tend to eat a lot of bananas, but really can't say that it has any effect. Darn. :hollie:

spidermom
March 21st, 2009, 10:32 PM
I was told eating foods high in omega-3 fatty acids - like salmon, flax seed, pumpkin seed - made hair grow fast and strong. I'm allergic to bananas.

Phalaenopsis
March 22nd, 2009, 03:37 AM
I can always use some potassium :) I like to eat banana on a sandwich in the mornings.

Aditi
March 22nd, 2009, 04:09 AM
Never heard of this myth :hmm: but still if it works for you then its really nice.

plainjanegirl
March 22nd, 2009, 07:12 AM
I don't know cause I never eat bananas. You could always monitor your growth for a few months while eating them and then also for a few while not eating them and see if there was a big diffference.

Finoriel
March 22nd, 2009, 08:39 AM
Never heard of this myth... possibly thatīs because Sweden is not a banana republic. (:p Sorry could not resist this one.)
At least itīs safe to assume that not eating bananas does not make ones hair grow slow. They are my least favourite fruits :wink: have not eaten one in years I guess.

ratgirldjh
March 22nd, 2009, 04:11 PM
well maybe it is the chia seeds i've been eating also - they are very rich in omega 3 oils

just trying to figure out what actually helped - because before that i was in a growth stall and i hardly ate any bananas... or chia seeds
maybe it is just because it's spring :)

Feline
March 22nd, 2009, 08:11 PM
Never heard of this myth... possibly thatīs because Sweden is not a banana republic. (:p Sorry could not resist this one.)

Funny! LOL! :D

jojo
March 23rd, 2009, 06:29 PM
I don't know if they do or they don't but I will tell you something for nothing, if you eat too many you may have a tendency to beat your chest and swing from lamp shades; you have been warned!

Here is a picture of (scroll down) of a good friend of mine who ate banana's for hair growth, it went terribly wrong; again you have been warned!

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l283/joanna_eglin/CIMG2366.jpg LOL!!!

Paliele
March 23rd, 2009, 07:02 PM
I haven't heard that bananas increase growth, but I have heard that eating lots of bananas makes you more attractive to mosquitoes. :shrug:

Tressie
March 23rd, 2009, 07:16 PM
I eat 2 bananas a day. Haven't noticed more growth but it's certainly good for your brain (postassium helps blood flow to the brain).

I thought this thread said dogs eating bananas...lol!
hijack warning.....Woah! My brain needs all the blood flow it can get! Thanks for this tip! (o: (o: (o: Going out to buy a stalk of bananas!!

CreativeHere
March 23rd, 2009, 07:58 PM
I haven't heard that bananas increase growth, but I have heard that eating lots of bananas makes you more attractive to mosquitoes. :shrug: NNNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I already use way too much bug spray in the summer, and now the possible miracle fruit is going to make the problem worse?!
:justy:

:cry:

Darn...;)

Tressie
March 23rd, 2009, 08:40 PM
NNNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I already use way too much bug spray in the summer, and now the possible miracle fruit is going to make the problem worse?!
:justy:

:cry:

Darn...;)
Uh, make that a stalk of bananas and a can of mosquito repellant!!

Sorry for the hijack....again!

Merlin
March 24th, 2009, 03:06 AM
Probably the same way that eating carrots during the war helped you see well during the blackout....

Arctic
March 24th, 2009, 03:19 AM
I haven't heared of this before, but I do eat bananas every day and I have always had slowly growing hair, less than avarage.

pdy2kn6
March 24th, 2009, 08:25 AM
i think that the person who told you this was pulling your leg...urban myth or something, along there with 'cutting hair makes it grow faster', either way, i love bananas, and just in case this is true ill carry on making sure i have at least 1 a day. Today i had three though lol

marzipanthecat
March 26th, 2009, 09:30 AM
Bananas have lots of nice minerals in them and they are good for you. So it could just be giving you that teeny bit of extra vitamin and mineral boost you need to make your hair grow a bit better.

I love bananas because they taste good - anything else is just a bonus!

Also, you might want to look at taking Brewer's Yeast, or Vitamin B supplements. Personally, I found they helped my hair and skin a great deal (I thought I had a decent diet, lots of fruit and veg and all that good stuff, but the B vitamins seem to give me a boost).

LuXious
April 15th, 2009, 12:44 PM
It probably is the chia seeds, then. Soooo... wheredaya get 'em? And what are they?

Have you been putting Monistat on your scalp, as well? : p

I have. HA!

marialena
April 15th, 2009, 03:11 PM
I don't know if eating bananas make hair grow but I remember a very nice shampoo, many years ago, from Body Shop, which had bananas in it and it supposed to made hair longer.. Do you remember this shampoo? :)

rhubarbarin
April 15th, 2009, 03:29 PM
I eat a banana every day, but my normal growth rate is about 1/2" per month. With Monistat it's 1".

katienoonan
October 5th, 2011, 03:03 AM
I just ate a big banana, googled it's relation to hair growth and once again, the LHC is hogging googlespace! I love you LHC, you're like a lifeline! xXxx

Vallena
October 5th, 2011, 06:24 AM
Maybe you were lacking some nutrients that the banana provided, which helped your hair grow faster? I know bananas are high in potassium. Either way, I'll have to pass, since I can't stand bananas!

Chetanlaiho
October 5th, 2011, 07:45 AM
I eat a banana almost everyday and have for years. I haven't noticed any increased growth from it, but that's awesome if it works for you!

This, my growth is still slow to average and I've been eating a banana almost daily for as long as I can remember (good reminder that I need to get new ones today xD)

I haven't heard that bananas increase growth, but I have heard that eating lots of bananas makes you more attractive to mosquitoes. :shrug:
Hmm, considering I eat them so often and I am extremely attractive to mosquitos (to the point where I draw them away from the people around me) that could explain a whole lot xD

IanB
October 5th, 2011, 07:47 AM
Bananas are great anyway, so if you think it helps, go for it!

Purdy Bear
October 5th, 2011, 08:00 AM
On average I eat two to three Bananas daily (unless the shop doesnt deliver the right amount :( grrrr) and my baldness is about the same. The only food that has made a noticeable difference is eatting liver and maybe ginger and garlic in a stew.

Bananas are great for depression, diarrohea and good for planting with roses, and the skins can be used for shining shoes. My grandmother was a mind of information that she passed onto me.

Jing
October 5th, 2011, 12:35 PM
Maybe if you were low in some vitamin contained in bananas? I have no idea - what makes people's hair grow faster seems rather hit and miss, though some things have a higher success rate than others. Either way, bananas are awesome! Potassium is very good for you.

ilovelonghair
October 5th, 2011, 01:44 PM
I eat one a day and my hair grows slow. I don't really believe in foods that can speed it up, just a healthy diet :)

KwaveT
October 5th, 2011, 08:29 PM
I have ate a banana everyday for years. I don't think it has had any effect on my hair growth. Somebody mention the benefit of fish oil. I may have to get me some since I have never used that before.

Cassie 123
October 5th, 2011, 08:46 PM
Count me as #3 with a banana allergy/intolerance. Bananas are evil that way.