PDA

View Full Version : Video tutorial: The Hypno Bun.

Hypnotica
March 21st, 2009, 03:39 PM
Surfing LHC and fiddling with your hair could be a match made in heaven!

Last night my fingers came up with something interesting. The bun is a "love child" between the Nautilus Bun and the Easy Hairstick Bun. It is secure and easy but look complicated and intricate.

Here is a pic of the result:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3431/3373953824_19fd3c9972_m.jpg

And here is the video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFeNYl-OK6Q).

Enjoy!

Sherri
March 21st, 2009, 03:42 PM
I can't see the video. I don't know if it is the link or just me:shrug:?

Hypnotica
March 21st, 2009, 03:44 PM
I can't see the video. I don't know if it is the link or just me:shrug:?

Try again, I was fiddling with the link.

Sherri
March 21st, 2009, 03:48 PM
Yes it worked. Nice bun. I liked the music with it too.

rags
March 21st, 2009, 03:54 PM
That is a beautiful bun! I'll be able to try it in about, oh, five years or so :wail:
It is gorgeous, though!

Hypnotica
March 21st, 2009, 03:54 PM
Yes it worked. Nice bun. I liked the music with it too.

The music is kind of bombastic, but that's me :P

Hypnotica
March 21st, 2009, 03:55 PM
That is a beautiful bun! I'll be able to try it in about, oh, five years or so :wail:
It is gorgeous, though!

Nah, I guess you can do it in about two years time! :)

Sherri
March 21st, 2009, 03:58 PM
The music is kind of bombastic, but that's me :P
I just meant it was nice to listen to something other than just watching it with nothing. lol Does that sound bad. I didn't mean it to???

Hypnotica
March 21st, 2009, 04:04 PM
I just meant it was nice to listen to something other than just watching it with nothing. lol Does that sound bad. I didn't mean it to???

No, no :) I didn't take it like that either, I just commented on the piece itself. It is a lovely piece of music, but bombastic :)

Ponytale
March 21st, 2009, 05:53 PM
First--great music--I love it when people give a little glimpse into their personality with something subtle!

And-I tried the bun and it is just what I need for my hair sticks.

Thanks!

sneakybea
March 21st, 2009, 08:27 PM
Great hairstyle! I'm not sure whether I'll be able to do it---since my last trim my hair is a bit stubby for some of these styles (didn't lose a lot of length, but a lot of taper). I also think that the top you are wearing and the hair stick you use look really great with your hair color---very nice!

may1em
March 21st, 2009, 08:43 PM
This one might need more length at my thickness, but now I know how to do the Nautilus bun, at least!

Hypnotica, your videos are really helpful. I'll sit with my hands behind my head and just try to do what you do.

Heck, hair videos in general are perfect for my learning style (mostly visual, with a strong tactile component).

Hypnotica
March 22nd, 2009, 04:38 AM
Great hairstyle! I'm not sure whether I'll be able to do it---since my last trim my hair is a bit stubby for some of these styles (didn't lose a lot of length, but a lot of taper). I also think that the top you are wearing and the hair stick you use look really great with your hair color---very nice!

I don't have a lot of taper either :)

This one might need more length at my thickness, but now I know how to do the Nautilus bun, at least!

Hypnotica, your videos are really helpful. I'll sit with my hands behind my head and just try to do what you do.

Heck, hair videos in general are perfect for my learning style (mostly visual, with a strong tactile component).

Thank you. I'm ii and closing in at TB and I don't think I would have been able to do this at a shorter lenght.

First--great music--I love it when people give a little glimpse into their personality with something subtle!

And-I tried the bun and it is just what I need for my hair sticks.

Thanks!

Hihi, not the most subtle piece! :D

Tornerose
March 22nd, 2009, 05:00 AM
Oooh I'm gonna have to try this one. We seem to have the same hair and lenght, so it seems like something I'd be able to get done :D

Gutterfayrie
March 22nd, 2009, 05:13 AM
Thanks for sharing another beautiful bun tutorial!

Hypnotica
March 22nd, 2009, 05:19 AM
Oooh I'm gonna have to try this one. We seem to have the same hair and lenght, so it seems like something I'd be able to get done :D

We seem to be hair twins :)

Thanks for sharing another beautiful bun tutorial!

You're welcome!

Cindi Eponabri
March 22nd, 2009, 05:25 AM
You make that look so easy. It's going to take some practice for me.

Surfing LHC and fiddling with your hair could be a match made in heaven!

Last night my fingers came up with something interesting. The bun is a "love child" between the Nautilus Bun and the Easy Hairstick Bun. It is secure and easy but look complicated and intricate.

Here is a pic of the result:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3431/3373953824_19fd3c9972_m.jpg

And here is the video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFeNYl-OK6Q).

Enjoy!

Stevy
March 22nd, 2009, 06:21 AM
Fascinating bun, thank you! Where is the music from? It sounds like a film soundtrack, but I can't place it.

LovingLife
March 22nd, 2009, 06:45 AM
teehee! Lovechild... I'm far too short for it though

oh well! Visit my thread xxx

Silver & Gold
March 22nd, 2009, 07:44 AM
That is a very attractive bun and it looks so secure. I'm going to have to share this with my daughter-in-law. However, I'm a very long way from having the hair needed to execute this style. *sigh* I will have to live vicariously through my daughter-in-law.

Hypnotica
March 22nd, 2009, 07:51 AM
Fascinating bun, thank you! Where is the music from? It sounds like a film soundtrack, but I can't place it.

It is! The film is 1492: Conquest of Paradise.

Amoretti
March 22nd, 2009, 07:59 AM
I love it but my hair's too long! Waaaah!!! I tried twisting it three times instead of once but it just went weird. Maybe I can adapt it to my length though. Thanks for a great style!

DotDotDot
March 22nd, 2009, 08:29 AM
That is so gorgeous! I tried it and got it on the second try, in spite of my hair idiocy. It's so secure! I love it. :)

Hypnotica
March 22nd, 2009, 08:30 AM
I love it but my hair's too long! Waaaah!!! I tried twisting it three times instead of once but it just went weird. Maybe I can adapt it to my length though. Thanks for a great style!

An adaption would be that you do the bun, leaving the tail haning until you have spread the middle, then winding the tail around the base before putting the hair stick in?

(I just tried your scalp wash! First time and it was a success!)

Hypnotica
March 22nd, 2009, 08:31 AM
That is so gorgeous! I tried it and got it on the second try, in spite of my hair idiocy. It's so secure! I love it. :)

Pic pretty please? :)

Fencai
March 22nd, 2009, 08:56 AM
great video and great music!!!!!

Hypnotica
March 22nd, 2009, 12:02 PM
great video and great music!!!!!

I hope you find some use for it. :)

Silverlox
March 22nd, 2009, 12:29 PM
Yay!! Another Great Video Tutorial(tm)!! :happydance:
To me this bun looks just like a 4-leaf clover, or one of those Chinese Lucky Knots.

It looks so great on you, but then of course, everything looks fantastic with hair like yours! :inlove:

Thanks for taking the time and effort to making the tutorial. :flowers:

Leaving the tail down and winding it around the base works perfectly. I automatically do that when ending up with leftover length. It probably also gives added stability and security to the bun, especially in slippery hair like mine.

Btw, that is a gorgeous stick you're using, where did you find that? want-want-want

I agree on the music, it added an extra dimension to the video and is absolutely lovely!
You say bombastic as if that's a bad thing..? :p

rach
March 22nd, 2009, 01:09 PM
i've added it to favorites for when i might have enough hair to play with. for time being its twisty, twisty stick a stick in it. thankyou for the tutorial :p

Hypnotica
March 22nd, 2009, 01:14 PM
Yay!! Another Great Video Tutorial(tm)!! :happydance:
To me this bun looks just like a 4-leaf clover, or one of those Chinese Lucky Knots.

It looks so great on you, but then of course, everything looks fantastic with hair like yours! :inlove:

Thanks for taking the time and effort to making the tutorial. :flowers:

Leaving the tail down and winding it around the base works perfectly. I automatically do that when ending up with leftover length. It probably also gives added stability and security to the bun, especially in slippery hair like mine.

Btw, that is a gorgeous stick you're using, where did you find that? want-want-want

I agree on the music, it added an extra dimension to the video and is absolutely lovely!
You say bombastic as if that's a bad thing..? :p

I love that you love it!
The stick is by WoodbyC, colour "Nile" with a lovely glass bead on the top.

Hypnotica
March 22nd, 2009, 01:15 PM
i've added it to favorites for when i might have enough hair to play with. for time being its twisty, twisty stick a stick in it. thankyou for the tutorial :p

You're welcome. There is other tutorials in the Articles section that work with shorter hair that I have made.

Farina
March 22nd, 2009, 02:51 PM
your hair color is gorgeous !

JamieLeigh
March 22nd, 2009, 03:05 PM
Oooo, nice!! Thanks for the video and the new updo! :D

Is it just me, or have there been an influx of new hair-dos lately? It must be springtime renewal using its influence on hair inspiration......if that makes sense. :p

1nuitblanche
March 22nd, 2009, 08:23 PM
This is a wonderful bun! Thank you for sharing it with us! (It also makes me wish even more that some of my layers would grow out faster...)

Hypnotica
March 23rd, 2009, 12:43 AM
Oooo, nice!! Thanks for the video and the new updo! :D

Is it just me, or have there been an influx of new hair-dos lately? It must be springtime renewal using its influence on hair inspiration......if that makes sense. :p

For me, it's restless fingers. :)

Amoretti
March 23rd, 2009, 04:56 AM
Hypnotica said:

An adaption would be that you do the bun, leaving the tail haning until you have spread the middle, then winding the tail around the base before putting the hair stick in?

What a great idea! Thanks! :flowers:

(I just tried your scalp wash! First time and it was a success!)
I'm so glad! :D

Snowblood
March 23rd, 2009, 07:21 AM
Thanks for sharing Hypnotica, I love it!! This bun holds my slippery hair quite well and is easy to do. My Hair is also a little bit too long for it, but I can hide the whispy ends under the bun. :)

http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/2022/hypnobun.jpg (http://img4.imageshack.us/my.php?image=hypnobun.jpg)

Nightshade
March 23rd, 2009, 07:30 AM
I LOVE it, but I haven't gotten it to work yet. I get to the part where you reach through the loop, but what are you doing with your hand to then split the next part into two? :ponder:

spf4214
March 23rd, 2009, 08:12 AM
What a wicked bun, I can't wait til my hairs a bit longer so I can try it. Thanks for all the great tutorials :)

Hypnotica
March 23rd, 2009, 02:24 PM
Thanks for sharing Hypnotica, I love it!! This bun holds my slippery hair quite well and is easy to do. My Hair is also a little bit too long for it, but I can hide the whispy ends under the bun. :)

http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/2022/hypnobun.jpg (http://img4.imageshack.us/my.php?image=hypnobun.jpg)

That looks like A VERY BIG BUN! :) I'm impressed!

Hypnotica
March 23rd, 2009, 02:31 PM
I LOVE it, but I haven't gotten it to work yet. I get to the part where you reach through the loop, but what are you doing with your hand to then split the next part into two? :ponder:

I'm grabbing the base of the hair (the part of the lenght that gets twisted when the hair is looped around my hand) and then pull the loop downwards over the base (the same thing you do while doing a nautilus bun).

It is then the twisted base that I split into two and pull.

Stevy
March 24th, 2009, 05:25 AM
Thanks a lot! I knew I recognised the music from somewhere, but it's forever since I saw that movie.

If you don't mind troubleshooting, I'm having trouble separating the twisted bit at the final stage - are you separating it into its original two strands or making a new division? I think I'm twisting too tight. :(

Islandgrrl
March 24th, 2009, 06:29 AM
Great instructions. I played around a while and tried it, but my hair just isn't long enough yet. Sigh......

sahiba
March 24th, 2009, 07:55 AM
Its a gorgeous bun. I'll try it soon . I love all your videos :)

Hypnotica
March 24th, 2009, 08:25 AM
Thanks a lot! I knew I recognised the music from somewhere, but it's forever since I saw that movie.

If you don't mind troubleshooting, I'm having trouble separating the twisted bit at the final stage - are you separating it into its original two strands or making a new division? I think I'm twisting too tight. :(

I just split it in two without thinking about the original strands.

SpecialKitty
March 24th, 2009, 08:41 AM
This is a beautiful bun, Hypnotica! I wish I had longer hair to try it. Something to look forward to! :D

mooglewoo
March 24th, 2009, 12:10 PM
That looks awesome! The Naut is my got-to bun, so I'm pretty sure I can do this with ease.

Hypnotica
March 24th, 2009, 12:11 PM
That looks awesome! The Naut is my got-to bun, so I'm pretty sure I can do this with ease.

Yes, this is an easy bun :)

Qamar
March 24th, 2009, 01:38 PM
Very cool! I just got it on the first try and it looks great. Its really comfy and feels very secure--I've got the bun eats woman's head thing going on which is not something I thought I would ever have because my hair is so thin. Thank you so much for adding to my repertoire.

Hypnotica
March 24th, 2009, 01:43 PM
Very cool! I just got it on the first try and it looks great. Its really comfy and feels very secure--I've got the bun eats woman's head thing going on which is not something I thought I would ever have because my hair is so thin. Thank you so much for adding to my repertoire.

I love bun-eating-woman's-head-look :D And that is why I very seldom wear knots...

mooglewoo
March 24th, 2009, 02:38 PM
I just tried it-holy goodness it's quick, easy, and it holds with JUST my VK designs stick! Thanks hyp-this is a great bun!

swirlytresses
March 24th, 2009, 05:30 PM
Here is my feeble attempt on curly hair. I like it. :D
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?pictureid=34902&albumid=2743&dl=1237937352&thumb=1 (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=2743&pictureid=34902)

JessTheMess
March 24th, 2009, 06:00 PM
I need a couple more inches... sigh... My ends keep pulling through and it falls apart. Lovely bun though and I too love the music!

gmdiaz
March 24th, 2009, 09:20 PM
I LOVE your hair tutorials and can follow right along. I've been wearing several styles that I learned from YOU! You're a great instructor.

As I was watching your video, however, I noticed off to the side another "related" video, called Hypno Bun. . .and nearly fell out of my chair when I clicked on it to see that it was some guy hypnotizing a bunny! OMG. It was hilarious. I am still laughing about it, actually.

Nightshade
March 24th, 2009, 11:30 PM
:cheer: I got it! I got it! :cheer: I LOVE IT!

Hypnotica
March 25th, 2009, 05:45 AM
I just tried it-holy goodness it's quick, easy, and it holds with JUST my VK designs stick! Thanks hyp-this is a great bun!

I kind of "got" this bun because when it came upon me, I just had a hair stick in the vicinity to hold my hair with.

I'm glad you like it.

Here is my feeble attempt on curly hair. I like it. :D
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?pictureid=34902&albumid=2743&dl=1237937352&thumb=1 (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=2743&pictureid=34902)

A bit dark, but it looks nice!

I LOVE your hair tutorials and can follow right along. I've been wearing several styles that I learned from YOU! You're a great instructor.

As I was watching your video, however, I noticed off to the side another "related" video, called Hypno Bun. . .and nearly fell out of my chair when I clicked on it to see that it was some guy hypnotizing a bunny! OMG. It was hilarious. I am still laughing about it, actually.

:p

Bunnies is FTW. :D

Hypnotica
March 25th, 2009, 05:46 AM
:cheer: I got it! I got it! :cheer: I LOVE IT!

Pic or it didn't happen! :whistle:

Nightshade
March 25th, 2009, 07:54 AM
Pic or it didn't happen! :whistle:

Bah! I'm at work, so you're going to have to wait :twisted:

It is really comfy though :D

Amoretti
March 25th, 2009, 08:33 AM
I'm still struggling with it. My problem is when I have to spread my hair at the last stage. I somehow get hold of the thinnest parts of my hair for that stage and when I spread it it just falls apart. Sigh.

Nightshade
March 25th, 2009, 08:40 AM
I'm still struggling with it. My problem is when I have to spread my hair at the last stage. I somehow get hold of the thinnest parts of my hair for that stage and when I spread it it just falls apart. Sigh.

I was having issues with this too. When you reach through the loop, try to grab the hair just past the base of where it's anchored to your head, the first place you can get your fingers around the coil without catching scalp hair.

ETA: I'm working on consistently getting the tension right, I've had better luck holding it with a fork than a stick thus far.

Hypnotica
March 25th, 2009, 12:18 PM
Bah! I'm at work, so you're going to have to wait :twisted:

It is really comfy though :D

I guess I have to wait until the morning then. *pouts*

Amoretti
March 25th, 2009, 03:43 PM
Nightshade said:

I was having issues with this too. When you reach through the loop, try to grab the hair just past the base of where it's anchored to your head, the first place you can get your fingers around the coil without catching scalp hair.

Good suggestion! :) OK, I tried that and it worked but the bun looks like a round knob. I wonder why I can't get it to work.

katana
November 6th, 2009, 08:03 PM
Since I finally joined, I feel that I should mention that your Hypno bun is incredible. I bought a stick from Nightshade, who then linked me to this as an example for what I could do with said stick - and it was wonderful. I never had anything that kept my hair up for the entire working day; your Hypno bun can keep my hair in place for as long as I'm expected to be upright (unless I knock my stick free). I now am entirely in love with hair sticks and am expanding my collection.

SheaLynne
November 6th, 2009, 11:45 PM
Since I finally joined, I feel that I should mention that your Hypno bun is incredible.

Ooooh--thanks for bumping this one up! It is fantastic, and I was able to make it work with my iii not-quite hip length hair! (though I snapped a plastic stick when I was practicing...:()

I'm wearing this one tomorrow!!

katana
November 7th, 2009, 12:59 AM
Glad to have helped out! I also snapped a plastic stick when I tried to make the bun with wet hair - for a while, all I had was one of Nightblooming's wooden hairsticks (and I was wearing the Hypno bun nearly every day) - and that never had a problem. I have since acquired two small thin metal hairsticks from a renfest (they were supposed to be part of a neat hair toy made of wires that looked like a collapsable cage for hair - could look like a sedate bun cover or a fancy pony tail holder, etc, but sadly, I had too much hair for it) and two bamboo Nightblooming hairsticks - neither the metal nor the bamboo seem to have a problem with the bun! Since I am, er, hard on my hair toys, I managed to snap two other plastic hair sticks before I properly knew how to use them, just carrying them around, so - I figure the flaw was mostly in the hairsticks..

SheaLynne
November 8th, 2009, 01:07 PM
Glad to have helped out! I also snapped a plastic stick when I tried to make the bun with wet hair - for a while, all I had was one of Nightblooming's wooden hairsticks (and I was wearing the Hypno bun nearly every day) - and that never had a problem. I have since acquired two small thin metal hairsticks from a renfest (they were supposed to be part of a neat hair toy made of wires that looked like a collapsable cage for hair - could look like a sedate bun cover or a fancy pony tail holder, etc, but sadly, I had too much hair for it) and two bamboo Nightblooming hairsticks - neither the metal nor the bamboo seem to have a problem with the bun! Since I am, er, hard on my hair toys, I managed to snap two other plastic hair sticks before I properly knew how to use them, just carrying them around, so - I figure the flaw was mostly in the hairsticks..

Ha...yes, I was practicing with my hair wet (I was at the computer browsing LHC while I let my hair dry a bit before going to bed :p), so that's probably the problem!

I am really missing my favorite wood hairstick, which I lost. :( I don't have a budget for hairtoys right now, so I'm trying to make some wood ones out of chopsticks to get me by. Sigh.

So, here are a couple of variations I did of this bun...

one with a half-up at the top...

http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll56/sharbyheart/Nov%202009/HPIM5776-1.jpg

and one by itself.

http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll56/sharbyheart/Nov%202009/HPIM5777-1.jpg

I really love the shape and stability of this bun!

katana
November 8th, 2009, 01:17 PM
Hm! The half up looks interesting, but the bun looks like it was awkwardly placed? As if it might irritate the nape? But I don't tend to do anything complicated with my hair, so...

I was reading about DIY hairtoys and mention was made of chopsticks (cheap ones you get with take out) and nail polish. I'm tempted to try it because I went through a phase where I bought a lot of nail polish - which I don't wear at all now, and I have a lot of chopsticks... In case the chopsticks you have are too rough, maybe the polish is an option? My chopsticks seem kind of long - even with Nightblooming's hairsticks, I kept snagging the ends on things.. ^^V I'm a bit clumsy too, so that doesn't help.

I tried the figure-8 bun and that also seemed pretty secure when I got it right - and only needed one stick! Though it seemed to pull more than the Hypno-Bun.

SheaLynne
November 9th, 2009, 08:43 AM
Hm! The half up looks interesting, but the bun looks like it was awkwardly placed? As if it might irritate the nape?

Hehe...yes, I took that pic when I was practicing the night before, but when I wore it the next day with the half up, I positioned the bun so its top was at the base of the combs, so it was higher...good eyes for that!

I was reading about DIY hairtoys and mention was made of chopsticks (cheap ones you get with take out) and nail polish.

So far I've used sandpaper to take the roughness off the cheap ones. It definitely helps.

I'm still trying to figure out what to use for colors, figured I would stain some of them with wood stain I have here, but hadn't thought of nail polish for colors (thought I'd have to find some craft paint or something).

I tried the figure-8 bun and that also seemed pretty secure when I got it right - and only needed one stick! Though it seemed to pull more than the Hypno-Bun.

Yes, that's another one I'm working on. With my layers, I'm still having trouble getting it to stay. Just another inch or two should make it work great!

Hypnotica
November 9th, 2009, 09:41 AM
Since I finally joined, I feel that I should mention that your Hypno bun is incredible. I bought a stick from Nightshade, who then linked me to this as an example for what I could do with said stick - and it was wonderful. I never had anything that kept my hair up for the entire working day; your Hypno bun can keep my hair in place for as long as I'm expected to be upright (unless I knock my stick free). I now am entirely in love with hair sticks and am expanding my collection.

Yep, resistance is futile when it comes to sticks and forks :D

Ooooh--thanks for bumping this one up! It is fantastic, and I was able to make it work with my iii not-quite hip length hair! (though I snapped a plastic stick when I was practicing...:()

I'm wearing this one tomorrow!!

Maybe I should too. I have kind of forgotten about this bun :)

Hannah83
November 9th, 2009, 02:19 PM
I just love it! Thank you so much for sharing!

http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l16/hannahk_01/012.jpg

Tressie
November 9th, 2009, 08:04 PM
Yay Hypnotica!

Another great tutorial! I really like the music and you have come up with a great updo.............amazing!! Your hair is so healthy and thick and shiny!! Thanks!

Love the name too!! :D

Qamar
November 9th, 2009, 10:58 PM
Whats funny is that I can do this bun in seconds and have it turn out great but I can't figure out a nautilus bun to save my life.

little_acorn
November 10th, 2009, 12:45 AM
great tutorial, but I just don't have quite enough length to make this successful - I think the layers were popping out all over the place. On the plus side though I did manage to do my first nautius :D

morguebabe
November 15th, 2009, 07:48 AM
I tried this yesterday. I don't think mine looks right in the middle. I'll post a picture later. But I love it. and I love the music.
(PS doing the bun was fun. I asked DBF to stand behind me to make sure I was mimicking the instructions right. And he started to, but the he was like I wanna see if I have enough hair to so it, and started to do it too... he needs more hair to make a bun he'll never wear)

Edit to add:
Do these look right?
First Attempt
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=2171&pictureid=55451

Second Attempt
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=2171&pictureid=55452

vanity_acefake
November 19th, 2009, 06:40 AM
Wow what a great bun. And what lovely hair you have. Thank you so much for sharing this.

Karala
March 30th, 2010, 03:25 PM
I just discovered this bun, tried it and was very surprised and happy to find out I could do it! I would have thought my hair was far from long or thick enough to make it look like anything... I was wrong, it worked, and I think it looks good!

http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u312/_Violette_/hair%20pics/IMG_04623.jpg

It even makes my thin lump of hair look decently thick :]
Also extremely secure; one hour and a half of ballet class won't make it budge. My own personal ultimate test of buns' solidity ^^ (shall I say... ballet-proof? ...erm. lol)

Thank you so much Hypnotica!

Pixna
March 30th, 2010, 03:39 PM
I just tried the Hypno Bun today, too! (Karala, "ballet-proof" make me chuckle!!) I had to adapt the directions to my shorter length, but it worked -- it turned out great and is holding like a rock!! (Yep, bullet-proof, er, ballet-proof!) Thank you, Your Royal Buness!!! :heart:

frogette
March 31st, 2010, 01:18 AM
I have to chime in to say that I absolutely love it. This bun works well for me even though I have a lot of taper, it's very stable and comfortable, and it's so easy that even I can do it (I'm terrible at updos). Thanks!

Hiriel
March 31st, 2010, 04:28 AM
Oh, you're right, this bun looks very impressive and complicated :D

PolarCathy
August 1st, 2012, 09:28 AM
How much length would one need for this? I'm unable to make it at MBL and I think not even waist will suffice; maybe hip?

bunzfan
August 1st, 2012, 10:04 AM
How much length would one need for this? I'm unable to make it at MBL and I think not even waist will suffice; maybe hip?

I could just do it at waist now i'm close to hip it looks better;)

PolarCathy
August 1st, 2012, 10:11 AM
I could just do it at waist now i'm close to hip it looks better;)

How many inches is waist on you? I'm 6' tall... On me it's around 33" I believe. Maybe 32.

ETA: Aha, UK.. 183cm. So waist is looong on me but again, I have 11cm of hair.

bunzfan
August 1st, 2012, 10:26 AM
How many inches is waist on you? I'm 6' tall... On me it's around 33" I believe. Maybe 32.

ETA: Aha, UK.. 183cm. So waist is looong on me but again, I have 11cm of hair.

wow thats tall i'm a pixie being just over 5ft waist was 26 on me i'm now 29 inches hip is 29 1/2 .

PolarCathy
August 1st, 2012, 10:30 AM
wow thats tall i'm a pixie being just over 5ft waist was 26 on me i'm now 29 inches hip is 29 1/2 .

You see that's why I'm whining all the time that I'll never reach waist. Even quit the waist till 2012 Christmas challenge. 26" was not even solid BSL on me. I also have a long neck. Well, long everything, not unproportionally long, just everything longer.

But then with 33" I will try again because I may be/should be (?) able to do it.

bunzfan
August 1st, 2012, 11:00 AM
You see that's why I'm whining all the time that I'll never reach waist. Even quit the waist till 2010 Christmas challenge. 26" was not even solid BSL on me. I also have a long neck. Well, long everything, not unproportionally long, just everything longer.

But then with 33" I will try again because I may be/should be (?) able to do it.

Its the only time i like being short, it took me over a year to reach waist i found it so frustrating but my hips are quite close to my waist i think bsl-waist is the worst growth stage ever! my friend .

jacqueline101
August 1st, 2012, 12:05 PM
I like the hair style.

Venefica
August 3rd, 2012, 05:10 AM
Interesting twist on a nautilus, it looks very nice I have to try this. Thank you for posting. :)