PDA

View Full Version : The benefits of having your hair in a bun

k_hepburn
March 21st, 2009, 01:51 PM
So yesterday I was crossing between two buildings to get to the building I work in and it was snowing pretty heavily, and this guy that is working for the same firm as I do came up to me and inquired whether I wasn't worried about my hair or the files I was carrying, being outside in such ghastly weather. To which I replied with a grin that my hair was safely in place (which happens to be an advertising slogan for a brand of hair spray, over here) and that my files were well protected by the box I was carrying them in.

And, after a little friendly chat (it was an older guy asking in a very polite and gentlemanly manner), I marched on in the safe knowledge that being bunned as it was, a few snowflakes were not going to affect me in the slightest way. And that without the slightest touch of hairspray, of course. For me, one of the benefits of wearing my hair in a bun clearly is, that I can rely on it staying in place, so I don't have to worry about it starting to stick to things (or other people) because of static electricity, or about the parting of my hair either going crooked or flattening out to make me look dowdy and daft.

So here's a hooray for hair buns in professsional life!!!:cheese::cheese::cheese:
katharine

Eryka
March 21st, 2009, 02:17 PM
I absolutely concur, buns have been a saving grace for me.

embee
March 21st, 2009, 02:27 PM
Absolutely! A good secure bun is a lifesaver! :)

Jessikinz
March 21st, 2009, 02:30 PM
I can always rely on my buns, they always do stay in place. :)

janeytilllie
March 21st, 2009, 02:48 PM
Buns are great :D I love them

Accolady
March 21st, 2009, 02:55 PM
Long term bunner here. :)

Working with a number of women, I see throughout the day
how even just going from the car to the office on a windy day
means you are disheveled for the duration.

While a bun can certainly look bad at times, it seems to be
a much neater approach to the 8-5, unless you have a job that
doesn't require much movement, or you have a short and snappy
style that just 'stays put'. Some of the women in the building give
buns a bad name, appearing to have just hopped out of bed,
tossed in a scrunchie and off to work we go. :(

I notice the girls at work...half way through the day they are pulling
it back, re-doing pony tails and putting hair up in buns or ponies.
When I used to wear my hair down (shoulder length) I carried a comb
or brush with me at all times, constantly messing with it to make it
look right.

No time for that nonsense. I can't imagine trying to get through
a day without a bun at work. Cheers to those who can and do, but
it's not for me.

:poot:

pdy2kn6
March 21st, 2009, 03:21 PM
i agree, ever since starting to wear buns, now i hate wearing my hair down or in a ponytail. i feel my hair is so vulnerable if not all wrapped up in a bun.

BritHair
March 21st, 2009, 03:31 PM
Three cheers for buns. :D

I could not imagine wearing my hair any other way than up in a secure, safe bun while at work. I feel better having it up in a bun and protected from being pulled or snagged on things. I do wear it down on special occasions but as soon as I am home....up it goes.:eyebrows:

Helen Baq
March 21st, 2009, 04:02 PM
I love buns! My straight, fine hair loves to swoop around and look all fancy in a bun, so when I lived in the south women positively cooed over my bun! It protects the ends and keeps it from catching on things and is much longer lasting than a ponytail or braid, especially as slippery as my hair is, pretty much everything else just falls out.

The only problem I've had with them is my scalp gets sore if I have my hair up for most of the day, the little muscles on my hairs get cramped, or something! :p

frizzinator
March 23rd, 2009, 04:38 PM
After I started wearing a bun everyday, it seems too troublesome to wear my hair down! How did I manage to wear it down for so many years?

Gutterfayrie
March 23rd, 2009, 04:42 PM
waiting for our bus today, my friend was commenting on how the wind was making her shoulder length hair a mess.... i just smiled and was thankful that mine was safely tucked away in a bun

gmdiaz
March 23rd, 2009, 04:43 PM
I love love love buns. . .and think they can look so professional and chic, casual and friendly, messy and happy.

And I do feel more secure with my hair up. . .not so vulnerable. Silly really but like a bit of makeup it helps me straighten up my emotions. Get my game on. . .roflolol

AmyJorgensen
March 23rd, 2009, 04:48 PM
You know, it's a little upsetting to be...but I am starting to hate to wear my hair down...which was the only way I used to wear it.

LHGypsyRose
March 23rd, 2009, 04:51 PM
Another bun lover here! Yay for buns!! :cheer: