PDA

View Full Version : How can I do these unusual beautiful hairstyles?

janeytilllie
March 21st, 2009, 01:29 PM
Hi everyone :)

I have a family dinner party coming up shortly :D to celebrate my recent engagement:cheese:

I usually just my hair up in simple old cinnamon bun. I really want to try a new and complicated looking hairstyle since my hair is alot longer :) So...

Im looking to do a beautiful and unusual hairstyle for the dinner party.

I have found three of the most beautiful hairstyles I have ever seen! trouble is I don't have a clue how to do them:confused:

Does anyone know the name of the hair styles or any instuctions on how to do them? :pray:

I am in love with these, and I really want to try and have a go.

http://www.knotforlife.com/style/hairstyle/classy-bun-red-flowers.shtml
http://www.croatia.org/crown/articles/9137/1/Ethno-hairstyles-of-Croatia/Blanka-akula-Etno-frizure-Hrvatske.html

Also Does anyone know any other pretty hairstyles? or good hairstyle sites with instructions ?

Thanks everyone ;)

LHGypsyRose
March 21st, 2009, 01:33 PM
Ooo looks complicated, but very beautiful!

Telle
March 21st, 2009, 01:45 PM
Have you looked on youtube? Many people are posting how to do different hairstyles. Nice pictures I like the last one best.

joyellen
March 21st, 2009, 02:05 PM
Wow, the first and second ones are probably the most intricate hairstyles I've ever seen. Very beautiful. I haven't the foggiest idea on how to do them, though.

bjjowett1993
March 21st, 2009, 02:08 PM
Helllo Janey! I didn't know that you are also a member of LHC! I was wondering when you will be postiong another video on Youtube.

All the best,

Brandon. :)

janeytilllie
March 21st, 2009, 02:23 PM
Have you looked on youtube? Many people are posting how to do different hairstyles. Nice pictures I like the last one best.

Not a bad idea :D I never thought to look on youtube. Thanks :)

janeytilllie
March 21st, 2009, 02:27 PM
Helllo Janey! I didn't know that you are also a member of LHC! I was wondering when you will be postiong another video on Youtube.

All the best,

Brandon. :)

Hello :D

Yep I've been here since December :)

I won't be posting vids as of now. I had horrible haters and youtube kept playing up all the time, the vids could take up to two hours to load!

I might do vids one day again, but as of now I won't be making any.

Take care :)

Janey

Heidi_234
March 21st, 2009, 02:30 PM
The second one looks like it would take ages to do.:shocked:

Kina
March 21st, 2009, 08:30 PM
I'm not sure about the first, but it looks like a couple of different braiding techniques, and using a lot of pomade or wax to keep the form of the hair.

The second is hair weaving, same technique as basket weaving, start with mostly damp hair, lots of pomade and weave the strands of hair starting with one, holding that stable, weaving the other in and out, try looking for a youtube on basket weaving to get the basics. IMO you'd be better served by going to a salon to do something this intricate, it's very labor intensive.

The third, I have no idea, but it's lovely and my favorite of the 3.

Good luck and best wishes on your engagement and marriage.

ReddishRocks
March 21st, 2009, 08:35 PM
I wish I could come up with a link for you, but there are professional hair braiders that I've seen at Renaissance festivals who do amazing work. The prices I saw at my local festival were reasonable (all under $50 and mostly depended on the length and intricacy of the style).

Good luck, and congrats on your engagement!

Cereus
March 21st, 2009, 08:38 PM
I would think one's arms would become verrrrrrry tired trying to do either of the first two.

gmdiaz
March 21st, 2009, 09:33 PM
Those are the most intricate hair weavings I've ever seen! WOW

You're gonna need a very talented friend to do them for you. . . someone versed in basket weaving! Or crochet.

I hope you'll post pics of what you end up wearing! Great ideas!

janeytilllie
March 22nd, 2009, 04:51 AM
I'm not sure about the first, but it looks like a couple of different braiding techniques, and using a lot of pomade or wax to keep the form of the hair.

The second is hair weaving, same technique as basket weaving, start with mostly damp hair, lots of pomade and weave the strands of hair starting with one, holding that stable, weaving the other in and out, try looking for a youtube on basket weaving to get the basics. IMO you'd be better served by going to a salon to do something this intricate, it's very labor intensive.

The third, I have no idea, but it's lovely and my favorite of the 3.

Good luck and best wishes on your engagement and marriage.

I love the style of the second one. But I think its too complicated So I will use the picture for inspiration.
I think I might try a simple bun but using
basket weaving technique. It will indeed be easier lol :D

Thank you for the engagement wishes :D

Tornerose
March 22nd, 2009, 04:51 AM
The first two looks like they've used ALOT of fake hair. But you could try TorrinPaiges video on Victorian Style (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7N7_7_NlnF0) for a similar look to the first one, perhaps?

The third one you should be able to get done. It looks like some sort of a fancy sockbun to me.

janeytilllie
March 22nd, 2009, 04:52 AM
I wish I could come up with a link for you, but there are professional hair braiders that I've seen at Renaissance festivals who do amazing work. The prices I saw at my local festival were reasonable (all under $50 and mostly depended on the length and intricacy of the style).

Good luck, and congrats on your engagement!

Thank you :D

janeytilllie
March 22nd, 2009, 04:54 AM
I would think one's arms would become verrrrrrry tired trying to do either of the first two.

lol :D I think ones arms would drop off trying the first two styles:P

mellie
March 22nd, 2009, 04:55 AM
Janey, sorry to hear you won't be doing any more videos for a while! I always enjoy them! :flowers:

You are engaged? Congrats!!

janeytilllie
March 22nd, 2009, 05:24 AM
The first two looks like they've used ALOT of fake hair. But you could try TorrinPaiges video on Victorian Style (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7N7_7_NlnF0) for a similar look to the first one, perhaps?

The third one you should be able to get done. It looks like some sort of a fancy sockbun to me.

Thank you for the link :flowers: I do like that hairstyle its very pretty :D

janeytilllie
March 22nd, 2009, 05:28 AM
Janey, sorry to hear you won't be doing any more videos for a while! I always enjoy them! :flowers:

You are engaged? Congrats!!

Awww! Thank you :flowers: Yep I got engaged February 20th :cheese::cheese::cheese::cheese::cheese: :D:D:D to my fiance of 4 years

janeytilllie
March 22nd, 2009, 05:30 AM
Those are the most intricate hair weavings I've ever seen! WOW

You're gonna need a very talented friend to do them for you. . . someone versed in basket weaving! Or crochet.

I hope you'll post pics of what you end up wearing! Great ideas!

Thank you :) I will indeed posts pics of what hair style I do :D

Tornerose
March 22nd, 2009, 05:35 AM
Thank you for the link :flowers: I do like that hairstyle its very pretty :D
If you do it higher up, like on the top of your head or something, you should probably get it more similar to the first pic.:cheese:

Dreamernz
March 22nd, 2009, 06:13 AM
Ok first of all, congrats on the engagement!!!!!! Secondly, right I think with the first one you could get away with doing loads of small different plaits, flipping the ends up and pinning them to your head, second one, I agree that fake hair was probably involved and that it would take a good weaving technique but you could give it a go, I may just experiment with this kind of stuff myself lol :o:D The third one just looks like a bun with loads of strands of hair twisted and pinned all over the bun for an elegant look so I reckon you'd have the best luck with that one :D Good luck!!!

levelek
March 23rd, 2009, 06:08 AM
Congrats on your engagement! I doubt anyone could braid their own hair to look like the second photo. The third one looks the easiest - a sock bun or similar with some tendrils left out (eg pulled from the centre) and curled and fixed in place separately.

heidi w.
March 23rd, 2009, 08:44 AM
Those are EXTREMELY complex hair braiding, and are done in a salon. I would argue this will be VERY difficult to create this precise look on your own, by yourself.

These are something on the order of 7 strand braids, and mixing of texture.

However, you can do something similar on your own.

It WILL require practice and at least one run-through prior to your event, so you won't be freaking out that it's not working on day of the event.

If all you know how to make is a 3 strand braid, you can divide the hair and make multiple thin 3 strand braids and endeavor to bind them together by lifting them up and over/under, pinning into place, so some weaving hangs down on display, yet the ends are covered.

If you know how to do a 7 strand or even a 4 strand braid weave, it'll look really beautiful, but it's hard to get beyond a 4 strand braid started on your own -- at least this is what I find when teaching folks.

But a 4 strand isn't too hard to learn. You just have to practice a few times. Look on youtube videos, or online for instructions or ask for them here, or go to Long Hair Loom and see if anyone has posted this in Styling Station (free website like LHC).

heidi w.

heidi w.
March 23rd, 2009, 08:45 AM
You can ALWAYS hire a professional braider to do this for you!

heidi w.

heidi w.
March 23rd, 2009, 09:18 AM
http://www.dreamweaverbraiding.com/braid_examples/technique/braid_examples_4strand.htm
lots of images!

http://www.dreamweaverbraiding.com/Braiding_Tips.htm
instructions ....

I am sure you can do a "french" braid on yourself. IF you want, consider weaving in a ribbon (or 3!) in a regular ole 3 strand braid, and then wrap the braid about the head. It'll look like a hat...or allow it to drape down and back up, tucking up the ends.

I tie a ribbon into the top of one of the separated sections for a braid. Then weave it in with that section of hair the whole way down the braid, braiding per usual. It takes a little bit of practice to tie a small square knot, rotate it under the section, and ensure the shiny side of the ribbon faces up (or out) the whole way down, or on top of the section so it shows in each weave. The beginning is the hardest, but once you have several weaves (around 3-4), you can just braid on down the length. You can then tuck the ends under, pinning into place, so that all that shows is the weaving with the ribbon accent. Consider some floral element or sparkly bits along the side or at the top of the braid, where the hair is smooth.

The ribbon can be patterned, smooth satin (shiny side out, or up, or on top of the section of hair), or even more trimlike such as a daisy string. This is a cheap way to dress up hair. If you go for this idea, buy a ribbon in length that is up to 3 times longer than your hair length. You can cut the end off when you're done. If a solid ribbon, and the end shows of the ribbon, or you want it to dangle down, consider a diagonal cut or a v cut into the bottom of the ribbon (helps prevent unraveling too). Craft or fabric stores carry all manner of ribbon. At best, $3-$5, if that.

You can tie off the end too, with a little bow!, or a knot and tuck up under.

Great website. Most instructions though are done from another person doing it.

Have fun exploring!
heidi w.

heidi w.
March 23rd, 2009, 09:23 AM
The first photo will be a little easier to replicate in some way at home on your own.

The second one is a formed box, in effect. This, I would argue, needs to be done by a second set of hands that knows how to do this design.

The direction of the weaves changes from the center to the sides. The hair is brought out to the edges and the box formed on the edge to "frame" the center.

heidi w.

Anlbe
March 26th, 2009, 04:12 PM
Oh my heavens, I think I know in theory how one would do those hairstyles, but I imagine it wouldn't be possible to do it on oneself. My memory is dredging up basket weaving techniques from childhood. It would be fun to try but I imagine it would need alot of product as well.

WritingPrincess
March 26th, 2009, 04:37 PM
Oh my! That second one is my favorite, but I don't have a clue how to do it. Wow!

LittleOrca
March 26th, 2009, 05:02 PM
I can see needing someone to do the snood for you. It looks a little too complicated to do blind, basically all behind you and unable to see without the aid of a mirror.

janeytilllie
March 26th, 2009, 05:35 PM
I can see needing someone to do the snood for you. It looks a little too complicated to do blind, basically all behind you and unable to see without the aid of a mirror.

They are indeed complicated but so pretty! :D So I have been on youtube and find techiques on how to do basket weaving braids and also sock buns. So Im going try and do a sock maybe wrapped round with a piece of basket weaved hair? I will post pics if I succeed :)

eadwine
March 27th, 2009, 04:58 AM
The first one is actually easier than one might think.

Keep a section of the hair down the front lines free. Braid all the hair in a number of 5 strand braids starting at the nape. Roll the hair in sections and attach to the head with bobby pins, braid hair that has gathered at the nape.

Grab a stick and lay the braids over it so they are nice and neat next to each other, and then bobby pin the heck out of it so it stays at the top. Can't quite figure that part out, but the rest is easy enough :)

nowxisxforever
March 27th, 2009, 09:15 AM
Same concept as basketweaving for the first two-- the first one looks kind of like they plaited her hair and...stuck it together...or something. They had to have gelled it nearly solid to do it though. Not sure how to find an example of plaiting as I mean plaiting, as I was taught when I was younger and stayed with my grandparent in the Cayman Islands. A local woman taught me some basics... Ummm. I found one mention of it.

http://www.nationaltrust.org.ky/info/thatch.html
"Many other useful domestic items were also made using thatch. Women would split dried tops into thin strips and weave baskets, mats, fans, hats, and shoes called "wompers". Most commonly, this was done by "notch-plaiting" or weaving the strips into ribbons. Narrow ribbon, using about six strands (or "strings") would be used for hats, while the wide 11 or 12 strand ribbon would be used to make baskets and mats. There were about four patterns commonly used in the weaving of these ribbons, including an openwork design. The ribbons would then be sewn together, sometimes using a hand sewing machine. Another method was called "knitting" - but without using needles. The strips would be fixed and tied with thread to make a "button", with strings hanging down, before being woven together. It is the ribbon style of thatchwork that can still be seen today in craft shops and at heritage fairs. Sadly, the art of weaving thatch is slowly dying out."

Oh here we are, similar but with a different material (straw rather than thatch), you can see the similarities between the second one and the first hairstyle you showed:
http://www.galaxy.bedfordshire.gov.uk/webingres/luton/0.local/0.images/plait_types.jpg

stardustbreeze
March 27th, 2009, 10:19 AM
For the third, if you start with a high sock bun, leave some loose pieces out and loosen parts of the bun a little to get the main bun's tossled look. Then curl the loose pieces and pin them on like the picture.