PDA

View Full Version : Drastic difference from combing?!

melikai
March 21st, 2009, 11:56 AM
I left my hair untouched and uncombed after washing, and this is what I got! :bigeyes:

http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s123/melikai/hairtype1.jpg

http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s123/melikai/hairtype2.jpg

The *only* thing I do to my hair is comb it with a wide-toothed comb when damp. I can't believe what a big difference this is! Here is my hair after combing:

http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s123/melikai/hairnew2.jpg

Should I change my hairtype?? :confused:

rhubarbarin
March 21st, 2009, 12:00 PM
I can't type hair. But - I LOVE your waves! You should leave it uncombed more often!

Silverlox
March 21st, 2009, 12:05 PM
Congratulations on having such versatile hair!! :D

Both "looks" are great and to be able to achieve them without using anything that harms your hair must be fantastic!! Wow.. Imagine being able to go from wavy to sleek with just a comb! :inlove:

Heidi_234
March 21st, 2009, 12:14 PM
Congratulations on having such versatile hair!! :D

Both "looks" are great and to be able to achieve them without using anything that harms your hair must be fantastic!! Wow.. Imagine being able to go from wavy to sleek with just a comb! :inlove:
I second every word hehe. Mine does change with combing, but it also becomes frizzy...

janeytilllie
March 21st, 2009, 12:33 PM
Your hair ii beautiful in both pictures :)
My hair becomes a fuzzy mess if I dont comb it.

natt i nord
March 21st, 2009, 12:38 PM
This difference only with combing or not combing? Whoa! :eek:

I'd go with you're a 1c like me - I look similar when my hair is uncombed after washing.

Speckla
March 21st, 2009, 12:50 PM
Very pretty.

ratgirldjh
March 21st, 2009, 01:03 PM
i'm the same way. if i can let my hair dry totally WITHOUT touching it at all - i have waves

also i think that your waves are beautiful! and you should let it dry uncombed more often :)

Feye
March 21st, 2009, 01:07 PM
Your hair is very pretty both ways!!

Perhaps you are a 1c?

melikai
March 21st, 2009, 01:21 PM
Thanks everyone for the comments and compliments! I've always wanted wavy hair...who knew I'd had it all along?? :)

Suldrun
March 21st, 2009, 01:39 PM
My hair is very similar :) i dont really know how to type it. I have waves if I do nothing but even if i finger comb when damp I have stick straight hair ?

When it was shorter it was really wavy and I could scrunch it up while drying. I do think its the best of both worlds. I also can hold a curl pretty well with damp rolling.:D

Its a lot straighter now since I started using shampoo bars.

Sul

Pixna
March 21st, 2009, 01:58 PM
Isn't that great?!! You get two hair types in one -- and they are both gorgeous!! :D

Leisje
March 21st, 2009, 02:56 PM
I have hair just like you!
Lots of waves if I just leave it alone. I used to even get some ringlet type curls before I started using henna.
But when I comb it when its damp, it goes nearly straight.

It's kind of fun having hair that does this naturally, 2 styles with NO need for hair products.
:)

Your hair is very pretty.

deko
March 21st, 2009, 03:16 PM
Your hair looks very nice in both pictures. It's amazing what difference combing makes in your hair ;)

1nuitblanche
March 21st, 2009, 03:54 PM
That's pretty much what my hair is like too, although yours is a bit wavier than mine. Perhaps you're a 1c/2a instead of a 1b/1c? In any case, your hair is gorgeous!

viking_quest
March 21st, 2009, 04:13 PM
My hair looks exactly like yours when airdried and combed while wet but in a shorter version. Both look gorgeous.

eadwine
March 22nd, 2009, 02:47 AM
Definitely not a 2, but a 1c, yes. My hair does the same thing roughly when left uncombed :)

EvaSimone
March 22nd, 2009, 02:50 AM
I agree definitely 1c and beeyootiful :D. I am a 2a and can get my hair to lay straight with a bit of finger combing while damp. It took me about a year on LHC before I realized my hair wasn't 1b :o

manderly
March 22nd, 2009, 03:00 AM
Hair is a funny thing.

Combing, not combing, and totally drip-drying (no towel time) all produce drastically different hair :)

Very pretty.

Katze
March 22nd, 2009, 09:51 AM
If that is untouched, unhandled hair, I would also say you are a 1c. Waves throughout. If you have spirals or ringlets too, or frizz, you could even be a 2. But definitely wavier than 1b! Hairtype is after all based on untouched hair.

Mine is like that, too - in fact our hair is very similar, but you seem to have thicker ends. I can 'force' mine straighter by styling when wet, especially in front and on top, but the back and nape go wavier pretty much no matter what I do.

spidermom
March 22nd, 2009, 10:05 AM
Wow - gorgeous waves. I'd definitely put you a 1C. If it didn't go so straight with combing, I'd even say 2A.

melikai
March 22nd, 2009, 03:12 PM
Thanks everyone for the lovely comments and compliments - and the input! I still can't really believe that that is my hair! I changed my type to 1b/1c (from 1b), but maybe I'll change again to 1c.

I'm very grateful to TLHC for all the support and knowledge I've been given over the last few months. <3

JamieLeigh
March 22nd, 2009, 03:19 PM
You should definitely use the untouched air-dried hair pic as your typing pic. I was told not to hair-type after combing, toweling, etc. So I started out with 1b/1c, and ended up 2a after that. I also used a combed-out photo of myself to hair-type. LOL. Both photos of you look gorgeous!! :)

plainjanegirl
March 22nd, 2009, 04:07 PM
Your hair is pretty both straight and wavy.

I find it so hard to properly hairtype cause it takes several hours for the hair to dry. The not combing or touching is hard to do. And what if you happen to sit on a couch or chair and be leaning back.....then wouldn't that also affect it??

GlassEyes
March 22nd, 2009, 04:17 PM
I'd you're 2a, if we go by the rules of hair typing, which is airdried and no combing, but it is impressive that it's so straight with combing. o-o;;

maunaloa
March 22nd, 2009, 04:24 PM
I love your waves. It's nice to be able to have both options, though. :)

PrincessColene
March 22nd, 2009, 04:26 PM
I have hair envy! That is how I wish my hair would behave.

Teazel
March 22nd, 2009, 04:33 PM
I agree definitely 1c and beeyootiful :D. I am a 2a and can get my hair to lay straight with a bit of finger combing while damp. It took me about a year on LHC before I realized my hair wasn't 1b :o

Ha, it took me four years! I thought I was 1b - 1c at most - until I finally took some proper hairtyping photos of my hair untouched, and it turns out I'm actually 2b. :o (The pix are in my albums, if anyone's interested.) I have great waves until I comb, and then they just fall out.

Your hair is lovely, melikai; congratulations! :flower:

amz1998
March 22nd, 2009, 04:42 PM
Me too! Isn't it funny how many of us have dual hair? Before my big cut (recently chopped 24") mine would wave out if not combed. Now, it flips up and has some body. If I comb, it still flips up, but loses the body. LOL Weird hair!

long.again
March 22nd, 2009, 06:38 PM
I have similar hair and never really realized it until this post! If I towel dry and a little finger comb my hair is pretty curly. If I comp it while wet, it gets a bit of wave in the back and flips out at the ends but has no body and is pretty straight otherwise.

You've inspired me to take an untouched post-shower photo for hair typing!

You have beautiful hair by-the-way!

Tap Dancer
March 25th, 2009, 01:21 PM
I've tried not combing twice since this thread started. My hair looks the same -- or maybe slightly straighter.

~*BeautyWitch*~
March 25th, 2009, 01:34 PM
I think your waves are beautiful but I also love the comed out pic.

melrose1985
March 25th, 2009, 01:51 PM
WHOA! what a change! i think both way is nice. i do wish i had some waves in my hair like you.

Johanna64
March 25th, 2009, 02:05 PM
That's a big difference,I love your waves :)
When I comb my hair it becomes very frizzy.
That's why I only comb it when I go to the hairdresser,one or two times a year.

KajiKodomo
March 25th, 2009, 02:15 PM
It looks great! That's a big difference from just using a wide-toothed comb! :D

joyfulmom4
March 25th, 2009, 03:09 PM
No idea how to answer your question about haitype, but it sure is pretty both ways. :)

I notice a big difference in my waves too, depending on when I comb it. I can't leave mine uncombed until dry though. It looks awful. Yours looks nice and neat, just pretty waves. Mine just looks, well, uncombed. :o

I think you probably *are* a more wavy hairtype. Don't ask me which type though. Not good at that.

Anje
March 25th, 2009, 03:16 PM
Wow. Quite a change. I'd call you a 2a -- your hair is decidedly wavy when you leave it alone.

melikai
March 26th, 2009, 09:41 PM
I've been rather blown away from all the positive responses, especially considering all the people with amazing heads of hair of their own, complimenting *me*! Thanks thanks thanks!

oneKnight
March 27th, 2009, 12:07 AM
Your hair looks sortof like mine (1c or 2a, lol I always put both)
Mine is a lot wavier if I don't comb it, but at this length it feels like a big poof ball or halo around my head, and I just ARGH can't stand it! Nice if I can make it do that messy thing insted of washing it though.

If I comb it, then it just takes on curls where it hits my shoulders and gets behind my ears - which is cute.

Also my hair has gotten curlier with age and being on LHC. When I washed almost daily it was quite straight and plain, and "stringy" my mom always called it.

Arctic
March 27th, 2009, 03:29 AM
I would say 2a :)

UP Lisa
March 27th, 2009, 07:29 AM
Looks like 2a to me. All my life I thought my hair was straight until I started seeing waves a few years ago.