PDA

View Full Version : Can I have long hair & be a model?

Heavenly Locks
March 21st, 2009, 08:14 AM
One of the things I was interested in doing for work here in Japan was some modeling. I know that there are a lot of opportunities for American women in the industry. I have not got any experience with modeling so I'm not clear on what I will be expected to do. Will I be asked to cut/color or harm my hair?

I don't want to sacrifice my healthy long(ish) hair for a job. :o I am worried that if I don't submit to 'whatever to job wants' that I won't be able to be a successful model.

Does anyone have any insight?

akurah
March 21st, 2009, 08:28 AM
If you're not looking to do it as a career, but instead to make a little bit of side cash or more like a part time job, I see no reason why you couldn't lay a ground rule of "no cutting/perming the hair". You may not get as many jobs, but it won't preclude you from all jobs.

That said, I have only minimal modelling experience in the USA, for local small time stuff, uber small time stuff.

Wavelength
March 21st, 2009, 09:05 AM
Everything I've ever heard about modeling says that you have to be prepared to change your hairstyle regularly. You're supposed to be showing off the latest fashions, after all. So I'd be cautious.

But perhaps the rules are different in Japan -- I don't know.

Akiko
March 21st, 2009, 09:19 AM
But perhaps the rules are different in Japan -- I don't know.

I think it's the same. Color/bleach/blowdry/perm... all sorts of things to make you look updated and fashionable.

I have also heard that many so-called model agencies charge you a hefty registration fee in Japan. You may not get enough jobs to cover that fee. So I recommend you collect enough information beforehand.

Heidi_234
March 21st, 2009, 09:25 AM
Even if they will agree not to 'change the hair' they would definitely heat style it, use loads of chemical styling products and generally won't be as cautious as a LHCer would like them to.

Peggy E.
March 21st, 2009, 10:36 AM
You'd probably be best off talking to someone at an agency as to what you'd expect to happen were you to get into modeling in Japan. Could be something that would be easily solved simply by wearing wigs, or something - what do I know?

There are different types of modeling - there are hand models, size models, foot models, etc. lots of jobs where your hair would make no difference whatsoever. Of course, the fact you are beautiful is a plus, but also that you would be "exotic" to a Japanese/Oriental audience would not come through so much if they used only your hands, feet, torso....

I once had a dear friend who modeled and it was a major, and constant, affront to her hair, skin, diet - actually in every aspect of her life. She finally moved into another avenue of the fashion industry where the rules of physical appearance weren't so rigid and overwhelming for her to follow.

It would help you to talk to those with whom you'd be working there in Japan so you really know what you'd be getting into, if you'd be getting into anything at all! Good luck to you!

Themyst
March 21st, 2009, 11:12 AM
It just depends on the type of modeling you get into. I did some print and also a lot of promotional modeling (just run of the mill Miller Girl stuff). The pay was great - but this was in the US. For the promotional stuff, mostly they just accept you for who you are and give you the clothes/costume (Budweiser shirts, etc.) because they're just looking for a general pretty face/body.

Print would be different in most cases because they're going for a specific look. I don't know much about runway, I knew I was too uncoordinated for that.

longhairedfairy
March 21st, 2009, 03:12 PM
It just depends on the type of modeling you get into. I did some print and also a lot of promotional modeling (just run of the mill Miller Girl stuff). The pay was great - but this was in the US. For the promotional stuff, mostly they just accept you for who you are and give you the clothes/costume (Budweiser shirts, etc.) because they're just looking for a general pretty face/body.

Print would be different in most cases because they're going for a specific look. I don't know much about runway, I knew I was too uncoordinated for that.

How do you get into the "promotional" modeling stuff? I'd be interested to know.

GlassEyes
March 21st, 2009, 03:31 PM
It depends. Maybe.

In Japan, unlike many other places, there is a difference in the kind/type of model they want. Commercially, they lean even more to the 'cutesy' side of things, I believe. Most of the models I've seen have hair cuts similar to yours. Styling, however, it much the same.

But as to having long hair, I wouldn't be surprised if it were encouraged. As with most modellling places, having long hair makes you more versatile for hair stuff, so photographers and clients tend to prefer it...I think.

Keep in mind, I have no experience whatsoever. xD;

Themyst
March 21st, 2009, 03:31 PM
Longhairedfairy: (sorry, forgot to quote you!)

Well, when I was about nineteen, a photographer that worked for an agency saw me and asked if I would model for him - I never sought it out on my own or had anything to do with an agency at that point - right place, right time, I guess. Turns out I found myself on a poster - one of those girls hanging all over a car. Anyway -

I moved to the other side of the United States. Life went on and I felt pretty good about myself, so a few years later, I looked in the yellow pages and investigated some modeling agencies.

Then I signed up with one - if you live near a city, just look under 'modeling' in the yellow pages. A lot of the agencies will have a fee - some small, some larger - they actually give you classes and get you set up with a portfolio. I recovered my fee with one day of work. There will be some places that claim to charge no fee but you will probably shell out some $$ for a proper portfolio.

They got me so much work - there is good $$ in it if you are good at it. I quit doing it because my SO at the time was extremely jealous, big problems there, and he gave me a very hard time about it. I really regret that.

ratgirldjh
March 21st, 2009, 03:34 PM
i modeled briefly in my teens - LONG time ago...
back then i had long hair and they definitely would go to town on it... blow dry, hair-spray, everything that they could think of to use... of course there wasn't near as many products available back then... and they were just making it even straighter than it already was!

but i remember i got several jobs BECAUSE of my long straight hair!

thankfully, they never tried to cut mine though... but that was in the 70's when long straight hair parted in the middle was 'IN"

tsenglish@ns.sy
March 21st, 2009, 05:27 PM
The only mopdels who are affordedthe luxury of contractually dictating how they will keep their hair, are the Tyras, Cindys, Kates, Lindas, Giselles...etc.

As a model, you are nothing but a canvas. A blank slate for designers to style, and your hair has to fit the vision of the designer, whichever one you are modelling for at the moment. I am speaking about fashion modelling. Comercial modelling may be different, but if you are looking into fashion, forget about having any say about what length, colour, or style your hair is.

princess
March 21st, 2009, 05:32 PM
I have heard that you have no say in the length of the hair if you take to modelling profession or acting.

It depends on who you work for and how much say you have in the matter.

If you start laying down rules about your hair it may interfere with your career.

That is what I have heard from what sources I accessed.

Also long hair limits that kind of styles that are popular in todays world and what the people think as the "in" thing.

Except may for hair product advertisements which can use your lush long hair.

ReddishRocks
March 21st, 2009, 11:35 PM
Even if they will agree not to 'change the hair' they would definitely heat style it, use loads of chemical styling products and generally won't be as cautious as a LHCer would like them to.
This was my experience too. I didn't do anything big at all, and I was very young, but they're interested in how you and your hair looks TODAY - not how it's going to look in three months when the heat and chemicals have done their business. :(

At the very least, they're not gentle when they comb. And depending on the type of modeling, they're doing all this as fast as they can so they can move on to the next girl...

Heavenly Locks
March 21st, 2009, 11:40 PM
I have to wonder...after reading all the replies...which is more important to me. My hair? or a modeling job...

I don't know if I can give up my hair...it means a lot to me. Imagining what might happen to it makes me cringe. :shudder:

I will go to the modeling group meeting on April 11th to see what the agencies are looking for and then make up my mind. I can at least go and get more information. :)