PDA

View Full Version : Chicken? Chicken?!

BittSweetCherry
March 21st, 2009, 08:11 AM
GRRR. Another unwanted negative comment experience.

I've had the same retail job for over four years, and I have 'regulars' - people I generally know their first name, where they work in the shopping centre and their usual purchase. Half a dozen of these are hairdressers. In this time, I've only worn two hairstyles to work due to their tidy, steadfast nature and ease of execution at 6am while I'm still half-asleep.

After all these years one of the hairdressers started suggesting I do something with my hair and has been bugging me regularly for a couple of months: Wear it down. No, it's far too long and would get in the way. Oh, that's way too long to be fashionable - get a nice APL cut! I like my hair long and want to keep growing it. But it's a waste tying it up and it's probably in bad condition. ....It's in rather good condition, and was never this manageable when I had it short. Well, the colour doesn't suit you. You should be a nice chocolatey brown with a few highlights. Of course this colour suits me - it's biologically meant to suit me. And I'm not risking years of growing out a colour due to a whim. Chicken.

Chicken? Is that really what it boils down to - that apparently I'm afraid of change? I have to be ridiculously polite at work and basically express no opinion that isn't in line with the law, but I have no idea what I can politely say anymore that will get him off my back. If I weren't being paid to be nice during these exchanges, I'd give him a right piece of my mind (which is extremely anti-disposable fashion, anti-cosmetics, anti-superficial consumerism and anti-nail salons) but I'm just unable to say anything curt. I don't know how to get my world view across in a polite oral nutshell, but being chicken is definitely not part of it. Meanwhile, he's driving me nuts.

And what kind of insult is calling anyone over the age of ten 'chicken,' anyway?

Peggy E.
March 21st, 2009, 08:31 AM
This person is simply dying to get their hands on your hair and do evil, unkind and hurtful things to it: cut it, dye it, style it with heat and products! Probably even put in layers!!!

"Chicken??!" Why, you're the bravest soul on the block! Having to stand up to a barrage of what amounts to unwarranted insults while maintaining your natural good spirits, your response to the onslaught kind and considerate - far more than this person deserves, for sure.

Should this person continue this barrage of unwelcome "suggestions," simply say you've said enough about your hair, you like it as it is and you will not be open to any further discussion. If it continues after you've made your request, no longer serve this person yourself or, if appropriate and you have one, wage a complaint to your boss.

You don't have to put up with this mean-spirited attack.

spidermom
March 21st, 2009, 08:40 AM
I agree - that was a juvenile come-back on his part. You could keep it light and banter back at him: "You would look better if you grew yours long, dyed it red, ... blah-blah-blah." I would tell him "the day I decide to do something different with my hair, you'll be the last to know."

Wavelength
March 21st, 2009, 08:44 AM
And what kind of insult is calling anyone over the age of ten 'chicken,' anyway?

I'd be tempted to say exactly that, with a note of astonishment in my voice. "You just called me "chicken"?! What are you, 10 years old?" But you have to be polite at work... :justy:

I feel for you. I was in retail for years and I had "delightful" customers like that. My guess is that business is slow for this particular hairdresser and his usual method is to bully other people into changing their hairstyle so he can get them into his salon chair. It probably works for him most of the time. Most people are somewhat insecure about how their hair looks and cave to unsolicited advice, especially from a hairdresser. The confidence you're displaying is probably a surprise to him. He might have assumed you were a pushover because you're usually so polite at work. ;)

I'd consider it a victory, actually. He's clearly gone through all his "reasonable" arguments and you haven't budged an inch. Now he's resorting to immature name-calling. That's usually a bully's last-ditch desperate attempt. Just hold out a bit longer and he'll find some other victim to annoy.

kdaniels8811
March 21st, 2009, 08:45 AM
I love Peggy L.'s response of stating no more discussion. To tell you the truth, he sounds like a very young man trying to get a girls attention by annoying her! Any chance this is his backwards/childish way of flirting with you?

Presto
March 21st, 2009, 08:46 AM
Can you pull out the old "I'm not here to decorate your world" line? Or is that still a little blunt for customer service?
Tell him he'll be the first one you call when YOU decide it is time for a change.

Tressie
March 21st, 2009, 08:47 AM
Hi BittSweetCherry!

I'm sorry you are having to deal with this graceless, insensitive clod of a person! I think your best course of action IMHO, is to simply smile confidently, graciously, and good-humoredly and respond (to the "chicken" barb) "Not at all, I just have different priorities, but thank you so much for your "kind" suggestions!" If you feel you HAVE to offer a reply.

Be upbeat and unfailingly polite, but don't take the bait! Keep it light and just continue to do your job. DON'T let this become any more of an issue with you. Practice letting his rude, unsolicited advice go "in one ear and out the other". Remember, as Granny used to say,"You can't keep the birds from flying over your head, but you don't have to let them build a nest in your hair!"

This person is betting that you have some deep, basic insecurity, and need to be accepted according to popular fashion dictates. He probably can't believe that you are actually secure in yourself and able to make your own decisions about what's best for you and your hair so he is needling you. Happy confident women, who can take care of their own hair, are the worst threat to high priced salons after all....................poor guy! (o:

AJoifulNoise
March 21st, 2009, 08:48 AM
Now, I think that's deserving of a "I know what you are, but what am I?" kinda comment. :lol: How ridiculous.

Mary <><
March 21st, 2009, 09:33 AM
Now, I think that's deserving of a "I know what you are, but what am I?" kinda comment. :lol: How ridiculous.
LOL! I love this response AJN! Perfect!:misskim:

This response might also work: :lala:

Rohele
March 21st, 2009, 09:34 AM
I love Peggy L.'s response of stating no more discussion. To tell you the truth, he sounds like a very young man trying to get a girls attention by annoying her! Any chance this is his backwards/childish way of flirting with you?

That's what I was going to say, but you beat me too it! It reminds me of the kinds of comments kids make in 6th grade when they first start to notice each other.

I love the suggestion of saying "I know you are but what am I" - a comeback right on the same level.

I'm sorry you're getting ignorant comments from customers - I've done my time in retail too and its so hard to smile and stay polite when you're just seething on the inside.

rusika1
March 21st, 2009, 09:36 AM
He's a regular customer, right? So he feels like he knows you at least a little bit--sort of like regular customers at a restaurant know the waitress.
He probably thinks both of you are having fun with this--he teases you about your hair, you respond back, social interaction complete until next time.

Try responding in a way that is polite but firm, don't make a big deal out of it, and try to give him something else to talk about. You could tell him that your long, untreated hair reflects your personal beliefs, or you could tell him that you are uncomfortable with his talk about your appearance. Follow it up immediately with a smile and a change of subject to something friendly and non-controversial. (something along the lines of Hey, I know you usually buy green widgets, but have you seen the new blue ones?)

Rinse and repeat as needed.

Heidi_234
March 21st, 2009, 09:39 AM
Not to mention that your hair color is drop dead gorgeous. :thud:
If a person tells you to cut your hair you can cancel their words because they don't have the same attitude towards hair as you do (AKA they just don't understand). If a hairdresser tells you that, you should cancel and cancel them over again, because he\she's there for the money.
I'm not sure how I would deal with a person like that, I'd probably be too astonished to speak, but saying something like "don't you worry yourself with my hair before I entered your salon" could serve the cause, or changing the subject instead "Yeah okay. So, you wanted the - ".

Feline
March 21st, 2009, 09:45 AM
Oh, yeah, calling someone juvenile names is SUCH a good way to encourage people to give them your business :nono:. Even if I wanted to do something else with my hair, I think I would find another salon after that!

Wavelength
March 21st, 2009, 10:00 AM

Peggy's suggestion is very good, I agree. Polite but firm.

However (and maybe I'm just cynical), I think his interest has more to do with the state of his empty wallet than his heart. After all, if he liked her the way she is, he wouldn't be trying so hard to change her.

Another thought: Casually drop in conversation that you have a relative/good friend/old acquaintance who does hair, and that if you ever decide to change it, then you'll give that person your business instead. If he's trying to bully you into being a potential client, then that'll tell him he'll never get you in his salon even if you do want a change. I'll bet his interest drops pretty quick after that.

Aditi
March 21st, 2009, 10:13 AM
I absolutely agree with you, i wouldn't go to his salon if it was the last one on this Planet.

Peggy E.
March 21st, 2009, 10:15 AM
I managed to miss the fact this was a guy - hence the "gender neutral" response initially offered - but there could definitely be something to his merely being a really inept flirt.

His persistence when you keep politely ducking his suggestions of allowing him to do things to your hair could be an indication of interest in you that goes beyond the folicles on your head. Also, the manner in which he delivered the "Chicken!" smart-mouth remark would make a difference in its meaning. Say, did he deliver it in a teasing manner? Or nasty, tinged with bullying disrespect?

You're the only one who could discern this from his behavior - sort of hard to tell on a message board! Even if it is a matter of his being interested in you, and you don't want to encourage him, follow all of the previous excellent advice.

Should he be interested in you and you are open to such a suggestion, steer him away from your hair and see what else you might have in common.

If he's simply a pushy hair dresser determined to break you down and get your hair under his hot little scissors - hit the "Reject" button and go happily on, confident and strong, in your life! Congratulations!!

Chromis
March 21st, 2009, 10:33 AM
I would use a line along the lines of, "I'm sorry that is a personal matter. If you would like to discuss a purchase of our products I will be happy to assist you," then excuse yourself.

hanne jensen
March 21st, 2009, 10:37 AM
To politely get this person to shut up about your hair, couldn't you say that you keep your hair as is for religious reasons?

gmdiaz
March 21st, 2009, 10:59 AM
Laugh and tell him you love your hair and so does your boyfriend and all your friends and everybody in your family. You wouldn't change a thing! But thanks if you're ever thinking to make a big change, you'll be sure to think of him.

*snark*

Of course, I also really love the "religious reasons" option.

janeytilllie
March 21st, 2009, 11:00 AM
I feel your pain!

Today I had a simular negetive hair comment :mad:

A girl in my class said one of the most stupidest things!

She said to me "Your hair is so long why do you waste it by tying it up all the time!

My response" It gets in the way for college plus I like doing different buns" Her dumb response

"Only old ladies wear buns and you need to move with the times"

My response

:agape: !!!!!

It was very difficult not to shout and argue at her. :mad: But I kept my cool and politly said I like my hair the way it is and many top young celebrities wear buns. :rolleyes:

But at the end of the day it doesnt matter what they say or think. Its best ignoring childish comments. I agree what the others say, try and change the subject when he talks hair.

BTW
Your hair is beautiful! :D

Hope the situation improves for you :)

Darkhorse1
March 21st, 2009, 11:54 AM
If an adult called you a 'chicken', I'd have called them obtuse. I mean, puleese! Can it not just be you prefer to have long hair? That it works for your life style and preference? Sheesh!

Helen Baq
March 21st, 2009, 12:13 PM
Ack! Anywhere but work! That's a tough one to have to deal with. I like the response of "that's a personal matter", though there's a ton of good suggestions here. :)

I feel your pain!

She said to me "Your hair is so long why do you waste it by tying it up all the time!

My response" It gets in the way for college plus I like doing different buns" Her dumb response

Being a Trekkie nerd, I'd have to reply with "Captain Janeway http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_OoNty2lrzv8/RiwnoklOVcI/AAAAAAAAASA/_OU40AddqEw/s1600-h/janeway.jpghttp://3.bp.blogspot.com/_OoNty2lrzv8/RiwnoklOVcI/AAAAAAAAASA/_OU40AddqEw/s1600-h/janeway.jpg (http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_OoNty2lrzv8/RiwnoklOVcI/AAAAAAAAASA/_OU40AddqEw/s1600-h/janeway.jpg) wore some fabulous buns and she was far from being an 'old lady'! :p

Phalaenopsis
March 21st, 2009, 12:15 PM
We have the same hairtype and colour too, I think. In another topic of mine, some people said I have a beautiful colour. So... you have too! :D

It was very childish of him to call you a chicken. But as it has been said before, it's mostly him being desperate because you stuck to your opinion.

janeytilllie
March 21st, 2009, 12:29 PM
Ack! Anywhere but work! That's a tough one to have to deal with. I like the response of "that's a personal matter", though there's a ton of good suggestions here. :)

Being a Trekkie nerd, I'd have to reply with "Captain Janeway http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_OoNty2lrzv8/RiwnoklOVcI/AAAAAAAAASA/_OU40AddqEw/s1600-h/janeway.jpghttp://3.bp.blogspot.com/_OoNty2lrzv8/RiwnoklOVcI/AAAAAAAAASA/_OU40AddqEw/s1600-h/janeway.jpg (http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_OoNty2lrzv8/RiwnoklOVcI/AAAAAAAAASA/_OU40AddqEw/s1600-h/janeway.jpg) wore some fabulous buns and she was far from being an 'old lady'! :p

Captain Janeway hair is very beautiful. I love her updos! I also love how Dr Miranda Jones wears her hair :)

Silverlox
March 21st, 2009, 12:32 PM
Chicken? Really..? Wow! :doh:

My first knee-jerk response was: "Do you want fries with that?"

You could also say that your hair is long for spiritual reasons. Nobody can argue with spirituality. ;)

Or, just don the saintly customer relations smile and airily say "to each his own".

Another, still polite, comeback would be: No thanks, I'm a vegetarian.

If you want to show your disapproval in a way that won't get you fired, just be very formal and polite towards him in the future. A polite smile is very different from a friendly one and most people recognise the difference.
What could he possibly do? Complain that you're polite? :p

I agree with the above speakers, your colour is absolutely gorgeous!! Lots of people are paying good money to get the look you have going naturally. :flower:

Pixna
March 21st, 2009, 01:44 PM
A few potential retorts:

"Buns are chic and elegant, just like me."
"Only my boyfriend gets to see my hair down."
"I'm not interested in your opinions of my hair. If I ever should be, I'll be sure to let you know."
"I've received countless compliments on my hair and hair color. Perhaps it's time to get your eyes checked?"

Okay, maybe not. But it sure was fun venting them! :D

k_hepburn
March 21st, 2009, 02:04 PM
Having to be polite to customers doesn't mean that you have to let them insult you or harass you. The trick is to rebuke them in a totally polite way. Citing political correctness probably will help, too.

So my advise would be, next time he starts raising the topic to ask him straight out but in an ultra-polite tone of voice and phrasing to cease commenting on your personal appearance since this is making you feel uncomfortable. You can throw in a few mutterings about how he probably isn't aware that his comments were having this effect on you. Which gives him an out to apologise and pull back. If he doesn't, you should consider complaining to management - they are not allowed to put you in a situation where you are being harassed without having an option of defending yourself.

As for this self important p... erson who apparently thinks he has the right to bully people into adopting the look he dictates to them - I'm afraid, in this day and age he might just end up on some TV make-over show...

Greetings

katharine

Lixie
March 21st, 2009, 02:24 PM
You know, I am incredibly slow. I saw this title and wondered why you would want a chicken hair treatment/style. :silly:

Getting back on topic, I'd first like to say your hair looks absoultely gorgeous. I can't imagine this guy could improve on it any. He sounds like a right immature jerk! As for the harassment, I second the advice given to respond by telling him your hair is a personal matter. And, as others have said, if he persists you should maybe start thinking about having a word with your manager. I hope it doesn't come to that though. :flowers:

Helen Baq
March 21st, 2009, 04:18 PM
Do you wear your hair at work like it is in your avatar? That looks just lovely to me.

You could "jokingly" tell him that he should grow his hair out and when he can grow his hair to classic length and have it be healthy and manageable, you will consider getting yours cut! ;)

Captain Janeway hair is very beautiful. I love her updos! I also love how Dr Miranda Jones wears her hair :)

You gotta love that up twist thing! They used that same hairstyle on another original Star Trek, as well (By Any Other Name - Kelinda http://memory-alpha.org/en/wiki/Kelinda). I just love Star Trek for fun hairstyles and updos!

BranwenWolf
March 21st, 2009, 07:24 PM
If any adult calls me a juvenile taunt like that I use that excuse to come out with guns blazing and four-letter words to make their ears bleed. But then again, people have said I'm too blunt... and of course I wouldn't do that to a customer.
If it got bad I would, however, have a chat with the manager.

For heaven's sake why do people get so rude about hair!

Lixie- glad I'm not the only one who saw the thread title and thought someone was rubbing chicken grease in their hair.

Kirin
March 21st, 2009, 07:29 PM
I would just smile and retort in a comely cheeky way........

"My sounds like someone's developing a ******"

Pierre
March 21st, 2009, 07:37 PM
Since you duck his suggestions, you could answer "I'm not a chicken. Quack!"

Devon77
March 21st, 2009, 07:55 PM
How about this one. Tell him your hair is long due to religious reasons. When he asks what your religion is tell him we are not aloud to talk religion at work. As a hairdresser religious and political topics are a no no. He will leave you alone after that.

az_sweetie01
March 21st, 2009, 10:35 PM
When someone LIKES their long hair, treats their long hair well and refuses to do something else with it now they're not only "unfashionable" but, chicken as well?! What the?!

So, now...are people who alter their length and color just as afraid of embracing their own natural beauty and therefore also chicken ;)? *just being sarcastic here, not serious of course...*

How silly. I'm sorry you had such a gloomy little cloud in your day!

BittSweetCherry
March 22nd, 2009, 02:28 AM
Thanks everyone for your kind words. The whole situation has been bugging me for some time, and yesterday I really felt like I'd reached my limit.

To kdaniels8811:

and rusika1:

He's a regular customer, right? So he feels like he knows you at least a little bit--sort of like regular customers at a restaurant know the waitress.
He probably thinks both of you are having fun with this--he teases you about your hair, you respond back, social interaction complete until next time.

and Peggy E.:

His persistence when you keep politely ducking his suggestions of allowing him to do things to your hair could be an indication of interest in you that goes beyond the folicles on your head. Also, the manner in which he delivered the "Chicken!" smart-mouth remark would make a difference in its meaning. Say, did he deliver it in a teasing manner? Or nasty, tinged with bullying disrespect?

This isn't a young guy - he's in his forties, which is double my age! I doubt it's flirting, but I get a surprising number of much older men starting conversations on appearance and style, which I imagine they'd never get a word in edgeways if they were discussing it with their wives. I thought it might be older men wistfully discussing aesthetic considerations that are generally the preserve of the young - I know women talk about being invisible when they reach a certain age, so maybe men feel the same way? I think it's more that my regulars feel they know me enough to start making personal conversation. He wouldn't be the first, but he is the first to push the matter well beyond the boundaries that politeness would dictate. To be honest, I can't even remember how he said it - I was so utterly taken aback I forgot how much change I should have been giving him. It wasn't distinctly light-hearted, but I couldn't say if it was teasing or nasty.

To Tressie:

Be upbeat and unfailingly polite, but don't take the bait! Keep it light and just continue to do your job. DON'T let this become any more of an issue with you. Practice letting his rude, unsolicited advice go "in one ear and out the other". Remember, as Granny used to say,"You can't keep the birds from flying over your head, but you don't have to let them build a nest in your hair!"

That is great advice! I used to be very good at it, but after a few too many scammers and liars I found it hard to be lighthearted at work and somewhere along the line I started taking things personally without noticing it. I WILL practice letting little things go, though I hope I can recognise what's unnecessary opinion and what's deserved criticism.

janeytilllie: what a little cow! And what a two-dimensional view she has of the world! You're right about buns and chignons being in at the moment, too, and I daresay LHC members are pulling it off with variety and style much better than most. I really wonder how some people make it into tertiary education when they're so utterly daft. (There were two girls behind me last week carrying on an incredibly inane conversation in which one said - I kid you not - "omigod, I can't afford a stupid biology textbook, I just spent $300 getting my hair done!" I caught a glance at them when class was finished, and there was nothing remotely wealthy about them, nor did either of them have $300-looking hair. Some people need to work on their priorities.)

Pixna:

A few potential retorts:

"Buns are chic and elegant, just like me."
"Only my boyfriend gets to see my hair down."
"I'm not interested in your opinions of my hair. If I ever should be, I'll be sure to let you know."
"I've received countless compliments on my hair and hair color. Perhaps it's time to get your eyes checked?"

I actually made the boyfriend comment once, and he told me that I should get my bf to cut it! I think I said something like "my bf wouldn't want to and I wouldn't let him", but even that hasn't stopped the flow of comments.

Pierre:

Since you duck his suggestions, you could answer "I'm not a chicken. Quack!"

HAHAHAHA! Good one! :p

I don't feel like lying and saying my hair is long and for religious reasons, particularly as it may or may not make the situation even more difficult (and I hate lying). I'm thinking of saying in the kindest and non-confronting way possible something along the lines of, "I'm proud of my hair in its current condition and I have my own goals in mind." He can ask about them, he can berate them but he can't deny that I've thought about it and want to do my own thing. I suspect I might just have to wait until he gives up - but I think that will be a solid victory on my part when it happens.

The irony of this is I've wanted to put a temporary 8-wash dye through my hair for months, but this started up at the same time and I don't want him to think it has anything to do with his prompting. And I know this colour would look much better than what he suggested, because I've tried both in the distant past.

janeytilllie
March 22nd, 2009, 04:38 AM
janeytilllie: what a little cow! And what a two-dimensional view she has of the world! You're right about buns and chignons being in at the moment, too, and I daresay LHC members are pulling it off with variety and style much better than most. I really wonder how some people make it into tertiary education when they're so utterly daft. (There were two girls behind me last week carrying on an incredibly inane conversation in which one said - I kid you not - "omigod, I can't afford a stupid biology textbook, I just spent $300 getting my hair done!" I caught a glance at them when class was finished, and there was nothing remotely wealthy about them, nor did either of them have $300-looking hair. Some people need to work on their priorities.)

She is a real shallow person she drives me nuts! :mad: I have to keep peace because I'm in a mixed aged class and shes sixteen. I ingore her but at times its difficult. It drives me crazy when people think they have a right and need to tell you what to do with your own hair! Every time I see her she has to say negetive comments! :rolleyes: Well not long until college is over, so I won't see her again after that :cheese::cheese::cheese::cheese::cheese: lol :D

$300! wow! Thats alot of money :eek:

Unofficial_Rose
March 22nd, 2009, 06:10 AM
I feel your pain!

My response

:agape: !!!!!

It was very difficult not to shout and argue at her. :mad: But I kept my cool and politly said I like my hair the way it is and many top young celebrities wear buns. :rolleyes:

But at the end of the day it doesnt matter what they say or think. Its best ignoring childish comments. I agree what the others say, try and change the subject when he talks hair.

BTW
Your hair is beautiful! :D

Hope the situation improves for you :)

Slight thread highjack: it was either this month's or last months Vogue (UK edition) that has buns featured as the next fashionable look. Would be good to dig it out and show her!

I have to say though, BittSweetCherry, if I had your haircolour I would not mess with it either, it's really pretty.

Janeytillie - As for "too long to be fashionable" the comback to that could be "Why do all the slebs (and lots of non-slebs) wear hair extensions then?"

Feh!:rolleyes:

salamander
March 22nd, 2009, 10:23 AM
I'd go with, "I find this intrusive and inappropriate. Please deal with an employee other than me from here on out." Go for your best mortally offended, I-can't-believe-you-said-such-a-thing, creepy stalker is making advances tone. With any luck, you'll scare him into taking his personal comments seriously!

enfys
March 22nd, 2009, 11:17 AM
I've been told by a customer that I'm going to go to hell because I have tattoos. Customers think very little of retail staff sometimes. Unfortunately I work in a shop where customers really feel a need to chat rather than just get help, get served, get out. Never had a bad hair comment, but the hell one is about par. I think my response was along the lines of "it's not really up to either of us, is it? Was it just these things you wanted?" Served her, moved on.

It's very hard to not be rude back. You could go to his hairdressers and harrass his pants off with playground taunts, or see how far you get by just saying that it's not his decission etc, even if that's what he thinks.

Should it get very bad you really should speak to a manager. My boss has said we can hang up on customers who are rude on the phone, and refuse to serve anyone we don't want to if they are rude or abusive. He'd rather lose a loopy customer than his staff. You are there to serve them, not their servant. There is a difference and don't forget it!

I think he's quite clearly wrong on all accounts.

Helen Baq
March 22nd, 2009, 12:59 PM
I actually made the boyfriend comment once, and he told me that I should get my bf to cut it! I think I said something like "my bf wouldn't want to and I wouldn't let him", but even that hasn't stopped the flow of comments.

I find that disturbing. There are guys out there with hair cutting ******es and he's really starting to sound like a creepy sicko to me. shudder:

janeytilllie
March 22nd, 2009, 01:18 PM
Slight thread highjack: it was either this month's or last months Vogue (UK edition) that has buns featured as the next fashionable look. Would be good to dig it out and show her!

I have to say though, BittSweetCherry, if I had your haircolour I would not mess with it either, it's really pretty.

Janeytillie - As for "too long to be fashionable" the comback to that could be "Why do all the slebs (and lots of non-slebs) wear hair extensions then?"

Feh!:rolleyes:

Not a bad idea :D Thanks for that! :) I think I will purchase a hair magazine. I'm still do not understand why she thinks buns are not fashionable? :confused: They have always been.

Autumnberry
March 22nd, 2009, 01:35 PM
How about this one. Tell him your hair is long due to religious reasons. When he asks what your religion is tell him we are not aloud to talk religion at work. As a hairdresser religious and political topics are a no no. He will leave you alone after that.

Now that is a fantastic suggestion. Another suggestion that could be enpowering is to change the subject completely by showing him one of the products your business is selling everytime he starts a subject you dislike. You always have the right to direct your words to business-related talk; it could never be construed as rude by anyone. After a while, he'll get tired of trying!

JamieLeigh
March 22nd, 2009, 03:42 PM
To me, it's the people who follow hairdressers and magazines like sheep, and keep going shorter and shorter with their hairstyles, who are the "chickens". They're so afraid of what other people will think of them if they break away from the norm and grow their hair out, and indeed many people do succumb to peer pressure and cut after only a few months or a year of growing. It seems like a bigger "change" would be TO grow it out, instead of chopping it into this or that trendy style that happens to be what everyone else is doing. Personally I would not WANT to look like everyone else out there; I LIKE being able to be spotted from behind in a crowd of people, and be recognized instantly. That makes me feel good! :)

I'd give him a few of the above sentences, and see what his reply is to that.

Feline
March 22nd, 2009, 08:24 PM

Uh, hate to be a nay-sayer on this idea- which I like very much- but anyone rude enough to badger another person into getting a haircut and then calling them names isn't likely to be put off by an appeal to religion, or anything else that ought to be personal, either. :(

LadyEliza
March 22nd, 2009, 09:56 PM
If they are male tell your manager you consider this to be harassment. Comments about your appearence is unwarenteed and not part of your job.

Alternatively - laught at them, it will confuse them :)

Say "I've been thinking about what you suggested with my hair. I've decided to keep doing what I'm doing, and I'd appreciate it if you kept your opinions to yourself from now on."

Say "I've been thinking about what you suggested with my hair. If you like, I can come around to your salon and show you what hair in good condition, undyed and natural, no split ends, shiny and healthy, looks like."

amaiaisabella
March 22nd, 2009, 10:11 PM
Honestly, I don't really get the "insult until you succumb to the pressure" approach. Yes, I'm really going to get YOU to cut my hair after you repeatedly insulted it. What, I'm going to say, "Oh course! I've seen the errors of my ways! Please cut my hair to your liking!" :rolleyes: Yeah... I don't think so.

noelgirl
March 23rd, 2009, 06:02 AM
Honestly, I don't really get the "insult until you succumb to the pressure" approach. Yes, I'm really going to get YOU to cut my hair after you repeatedly insulted it. What, I'm going to say, "Oh course! I've seen the errors of my ways! Please cut my hair to your liking!" :rolleyes: Yeah... I don't think so.

This is why I think that people who say that those with long hair are "hiding behind their hair" and "insecure" have it exactly backwards. Someone who's truly insecure would succumb to the insults.