PDA

View Full Version : Hot Weather = Hair Growth?

Dreams_in_Pink
March 21st, 2009, 07:26 AM
I've been reading everywhere that hair tends to gorw faster in summer than in winter...

Is this officially true?

If it IS true, can we "fool" our scalp by applying low degrees of heat several times a day or exposing our scalp to sunlight?

and YES, i'm desperate! :doh:

HairColoredHair
March 21st, 2009, 07:51 AM
Hahaha, not true for me!

I am generally miserable in hot weather! It makes me ill and grouchy and my hair doesn't much like it either. I get reasonable growth in the winter, when I am much happier.

Besides, 'low level heat' low enough to NOT burn your hair or scalp... well, a warm wet towel, maybe?

Dreams_in_Pink
March 21st, 2009, 08:03 AM
Hahaha, not true for me!

I am generally miserable in hot weather! It makes me ill and grouchy and my hair doesn't much like it either. I get reasonable growth in the winter, when I am much happier.

Besides, 'low level heat' low enough to NOT burn your hair or scalp... well, a warm wet towel, maybe?

Hmm, i feel very happy in summer and miserable in winter, so maybe it might work for me :D or maybe it has something to do with happiness or the hormones that make us feel happy :confused:

Copasetic
March 21st, 2009, 08:07 AM
I think it might seem that way for a lot of people. In the winter, I wear my hair down a lot more. In the summer it is way too hot and sticky for me to put my hair down. So at the end of the summer, after months of wearing it up, it definitely seems like it has grown a lot more. But I don't think my hair actually grows any faster in the summer.

harpgal
March 21st, 2009, 09:34 AM
Research has proven that it is the increase in sun angles that increases hair growth, not heat.

Aditi
March 21st, 2009, 10:27 AM
I don't know whether its true or not but this theory certainly apply to my hair. I have nice growth in summer and almost no growth in winter.

Speckla
March 21st, 2009, 10:29 AM
It must be true. I have to shave my legs more often in the summer. I don't wear shorts often so that's not the reason for shaving more.
________
Yamaha Dx7 History (http://www.yamaha-tech.com/wiki/Yamaha_DX7)

Dreams_in_Pink
March 21st, 2009, 10:42 AM
Research has proven that it is the increase in sun angles that increases hair growth, not heat.

Okay, i give up on that one :D guess i'll have to wait for summer :D Though i really don't know which season makes my hair grow faster; we'll see :cool:

kali_shey
March 21st, 2009, 10:59 AM

Agreed. Because of this, hair generally grows a great deal faster in summer than it does in winter. I remember reading something about it, vaguely, but the science behind it eludes me :)

Feye
March 21st, 2009, 12:23 PM

Would you know if it matter where you live too? The sun is stronger near the equator but the angle is straight from above, for example. In the North the summer nights are shorter because the sun is up longer. Some places the sun is up all night during the summer months. I'm just thinking that it would be so interesting to know if there is a difference for hair growth where a person lives.

Crysania
March 21st, 2009, 02:36 PM
could solar lamps help hair growth too ?:p

i know there are solar lamps made for depressed people for use during the winter months ( not the ones for tanning )

harpgal
March 21st, 2009, 04:55 PM
Would you know if it matter where you live too? The sun is stronger near the equator but the angle is straight from above, for example. In the North the summer nights are shorter because the sun is up longer. Some places the sun is up all night during the summer months. I'm just thinking that it would be so interesting to know if there is a difference for hair growth where a person lives.Feye, you have a very good question. I would think a person would get the very same amount of growth over the course of an entire year. However, (and I'm guessing) it would be more sporadic in the north than closer to the equator.

Here (http://www.sbrjournal.net/currentissue/articles/Hair/Hairgrowth.htm) is a link to the study. There are many good articles down at the bottom in the References section.

Helen Baq
March 21st, 2009, 06:40 PM
Would you know if it matter where you live too? The sun is stronger near the equator but the angle is straight from above, for example. In the North the summer nights are shorter because the sun is up longer. Some places the sun is up all night during the summer months. I'm just thinking that it would be so interesting to know if there is a difference for hair growth where a person lives.

That might explain why I've felt my hair has grown much slower since I moved to Seattle. I'm moving back to southern Missouri sometime this year, so hopefully my growth rate will speed back up!

harpgal
March 21st, 2009, 07:55 PM
That might explain why I've felt my hair has grown much slower since I moved to Seattle. I'm moving back to southern Missouri sometime this year, so hopefully my growth rate will speed back up!Keep track, Helen Baq. Your findings would be very interesting.

Helen Baq
March 21st, 2009, 11:11 PM
Keep track, Helen Baq. Your findings would be very interesting.

Will do! I'm getting the damaged ends cut off tomorrow, I'll start keeping track from there. :)

Did anyone else notice in that study that it shows that hair grows significantly faster for about a month after a trim?

Now to wax scientific for a moment... It makes sense that hair would grow faster in the summer if you think about it. For us humans that means our long head hair gets longer, but for most animals terminal length of hairs is much, much shorter. If hair is growing faster with a very short terminal length, then it's also falling out faster, hence shedding, and the result would be less hair overall. The study mentions that since it's related to sun angle, hair growth would start speeding up or slowing down a few weeks before yearly highs and lows in temperatures. This means you'd have a chance to get prepared, coat wise, for those temperatures, if you were a cat or other furry critter. In the winter, with hair growth slowing down, you'd lose hair slower and your coat would, therefore, get thicker. At least, that's the explanation I came up with when I was thinking about it this evening. :neutral:

Dreams_in_Pink
March 22nd, 2009, 01:40 AM
In the winter, with hair growth slowing down, you'd lose hair slower and your coat would, therefore, get thicker. :neutral:

Is there such a relation between hair loss & growth rate? Do we shed less hair when hair stops growing?

It's an interesting fact if it's true :)

Did anyone else notice in that study that it shows that hair grows significantly faster for about a month after a trim?

I also heard about it, that may be because of split ends. I've read many articles on hair and almost all suggested that cutting your hair doesn't increase or decrease the production of hair follicles.

Feye
March 23rd, 2009, 11:10 AM
The study mentions that since it's related to sun angle, hair growth would start speeding up or slowing down a few weeks before yearly highs and lows in temperatures. This means you'd have a chance to get prepared, coat wise, for those temperatures, if you were a cat or other furry critter. In the winter, with hair growth slowing down, you'd lose hair slower and your coat would, therefore, get thicker. At least, that's the explanation I came up with when I was thinking about it this evening. :neutral:

First of all: harpgal, thank you so much for that link, I'll sit down and read it now. :)

Secondly, the theory above is interesting. But it makes me wonder why Scandinavians are thought to have fine hair, while hair often grows in thicker further south. That is strange! Since Scandinavians are living in a colder climate we should genetically have more fur :poot:

lora410
March 23rd, 2009, 11:11 AM
my hair grows faster in the summer, but others will grow faster in the winter. I think it depends more on our hair growth cycle then heat or cold.

KajiKodomo
March 23rd, 2009, 11:22 AM
Ah, yes, I know that my hair grows at least 1/4-1/2 inch more a month in the summer than in the winter. I only wish I could replicate this growth year-round!

spidermom
March 23rd, 2009, 11:25 AM
I've heard hair growth depends on the hours of daylight. More light = more growth.

I've been growing my hair without trimming since July 18, 2008, and so far I've gotten a steady 2/3 inch per month, even during the months of Nov, Dec, and Jan, when the hours of daylight are the shortest (around here they are, anyway). But I'm the contrary sort. If there's a rule, I was born to break it.

Vivien'
March 23rd, 2009, 11:34 AM
Maybe the growth is related to the temperature, as the blood circulation under the skin tend to diminish with colder temperatures (constuction). Less blood circulation, less growth.
I notice the difference between winter and summer, especially this year. Next year, I will try to wear a hat in winter while going out, to see if it makes a difference.

Helen Baq
March 23rd, 2009, 12:22 PM
Is there such a relation between hair loss & growth rate? Do we shed less hair when hair stops growing?

It's an interesting fact if it's true :)

I also heard about it, that may be because of split ends. I've read many articles on hair and almost all suggested that cutting your hair doesn't increase or decrease the production of hair follicles.

Well, I know hair goes through cycles where it grows for a time and when it reaches terminal it rests, then falls out, the follicle rests for a bit, then a new hair starts to grow. Humans have such long head hair that this wouldn't really apply to them, but with an animal who's terminal length were, say, an inch to three inches then it might mean the difference between having a thick and fluffy coat and having a thinner summer coat. That's what I was thinking.

I've also read that cutting your hair doesn't make it grow faster. It could be split ends, but the subject was getting her hair trimmed about half a centimeter every three months, so unless she was really horrible with her hair (which is possible), then I wouldn't think it was split ends. I know that shaving makes hair grow in thicker and I can feel when my hair is getting cut. Perhaps the vibrations stimulate the follicle? If that were the case, we could possibly invent something that would give "scissors like follicle stimulation" without harming the hair... :eyebrows:

First of all: harpgal, thank you so much for that link, I'll sit down and read it now. :)

Secondly, the theory above is interesting. But it makes me wonder why Scandinavians are thought to have fine hair, while hair often grows in thicker further south. That is strange! Since Scandinavians are living in a colder climate we should genetically have more fur :poot:

That is an interesting thought. Fine hair might actually be better at holding in warm air. It would be interesting to study that. I have scandinavian hair and I've noticed that I have thicker sebum in cold weather. I mentioned that to my fiance and he said he'd learned somewhere that scandinavians produce a different sebum in the winter that helps keep their hair dry in the snow, protecting their scalp from the cold. I haven't been able to find any information on this, though. :(

Maybe the growth is related to the temperature, as the blood circulation under the skin tend to diminish with colder temperatures (constuction). Less blood circulation, less growth.
I notice the difference between winter and summer, especially this year. Next year, I will try to wear a hat in winter while going out, to see if it makes a difference.

The study said that the subject's hair growth was only weakly related to temperature - in that it gets hotter or colder a few weeks after the summer or winter solstice. It said the hair growth was more closely related to daylight hours/sun angle than temperature, so you might try using a plant light, full spectrum bulb, or some other form of light therapy in the winter. *begins plotting a new "miracle hair growth light therapy" device...* :twisted:

harpgal
March 23rd, 2009, 12:40 PM

Secondly, the theory above is interesting. But it makes me wonder why Scandinavians are thought to have fine hair, while hair often grows in thicker further south. That is strange! Since Scandinavians are living in a colder climate we should genetically have more fur You are very welcome, Feye.

I concur. People in the northern climes definitely need thicker fur. But I live in the north and have very fine hair. 'Tis not fair, I'll tell ya. :D

jivete
March 23rd, 2009, 12:42 PM
Here (http://www.sbrjournal.net/currentissue/articles/Hair/Hairgrowth.htm) is a link to the study. There are many good articles down at the bottom in the References section.

Thanks for the article. It was very interesting.

BlackfootHair
March 23rd, 2009, 12:51 PM
I've been shedding a ton since warmer weather has come. :)

marzipanthecat
March 25th, 2009, 06:39 AM
Yes, my hair does appear to grow more quickly during the summer months. I always assumed it was something to do with longer days (it isn't HUGELY warmer here in summer than winter, I never thought my hair was tricked!). Although I think the fact that I started taking B vitamin supplements and Brewers Yeast supplements a few years ago had a more positive effect!

Zindell
March 25th, 2009, 06:47 AM
My hair usually grows better in the spring and summer. But this winter I have been eating a strong dose of vitamin D3 (4000 IU/day) to feel a little better during the dark winter months. And this winter my hair has been growing at least as good as during summer time.

I started to think that maybe the D vitamins had a nice side effect and googled it. Result... loads of pages describing vitamin D as "the vitamin for hairloss" and that vitamin D "stimulates hair growth".

During the summer our skin produces loads of vitamin D when exposed to sun which could explain why many here experience better hair growth.

Helen Baq
March 25th, 2009, 07:22 PM
My hair usually grows better in the spring and summer. But this winter I have been eating a strong dose of vitamin D3 (4000 IU/day) to feel a little better during the dark winter months. And this winter my hair has been growing at least as good as during summer time.

I started to think that maybe the D vitamins had a nice side effect and googled it. Result... loads of pages describing vitamin D as "the vitamin for hairloss" and that vitamin D "stimulates hair growth".

During the summer our skin produces loads of vitamin D when exposed to sun which could explain why many here experience better hair growth.

Wow! That could easily be why, I'd think! :bull:

*runs out to get vitamin D supplements*

EdG
March 26th, 2009, 06:51 PM
Interesting article!

I also think the effect may be due to vitamin D from sunlight. :sun:
Ed

goodluckcharm
March 26th, 2009, 08:23 PM
Wow, this was an interesting thread!
Be back later, gone to buy vitamin D :)

Carissamarie08
May 23rd, 2012, 04:04 AM
I'm bumping this thread because I'm moving to Hawaii!

TazM
May 23rd, 2012, 05:03 AM
I found this to be true because when I used to bleach my hair I seemed to have to do it all the time in summer, but in winter hardly ever. My nails always grow really fast in summer too.

Not sure if you can trick your hair into thinking it's summer, but I have read somewhere if you want to grow your hair long try and keep warm, so it probably can't hurt to try and stay out of the cold as much as possible,

meteor
May 23rd, 2012, 07:26 AM
Yes, I read research that hair and nails grow faster in summertime. I wonder if it's due to similar effect that faster metabolism (faster calorie burn rate, similar to increased warm) has on growing hair and nails.
Also, what about hot and wet climate vs. hot and dry? I thought places like India or the Amazon should be great for hair, but the Sahara desert less so... hair is a bit like verdure.

swearnsue
May 23rd, 2012, 07:37 AM
Moving to Hawaii is it's own reward! I'd move to Hawaii even if it made my hair fall out!LOL. Love Hawaii.

leilasahhar
May 23rd, 2012, 07:54 AM
This might seem weird but I go to the tanning beds on a regular basis just to get my hair and scalp exposed. Its seems to help! Right now I dont want to get a tan so I keep all my clothes on and lay there and make sure to cover my face too. ;))

Tota
May 23rd, 2012, 08:30 AM
My hair grows faster from March to September. Then I have a massive shed and after that almost no growth until next March.

shutterpillar
May 23rd, 2012, 08:41 AM
I dont know if hair grows faster in the summer... I think it grows about the same all year long, but for me it sure does seem like I shed a lot more in the summer.

1nuitblanche
May 23rd, 2012, 11:19 AM
Interesting. Apparently, my hair didn't get the memo. It grows faster from December until April.

Anywhere
May 23rd, 2012, 11:40 AM
[snip] I know that shaving makes hair grow in thicker [snip]

I'd just like to say that I'm pretty sure this isn't true. It's just that the tapered hair end gets cut off, but the hair does not magically get thicker than it was originally intended to be.

Helix
May 23rd, 2012, 01:55 PM
Not sure if it's officially true, but it kinda makes sense. Blood circulation slows down in the cold. Wouldn't that result in slower delivery of nutrients to the follicles as well and consequently, slower hair growth?

Nonetheless, it would be nice if it is true.

Ocelan
May 23rd, 2012, 02:06 PM

I actually believe having hair the way it is makes sense since hair on humans wasn't really made to keep us warm (atleast so I've read) but instead to keep us cool, atleast in hot Africa where humans developed. So where there's less sun in the north, we don't need as thick and coarse hair to protect our skin from sunburn and thinner hair will do.
On the topic, I also have read that people with genetics from hot areas have curlier hair that stands on the head more and so protects more from heat from straight above, whereas people from cooler areas where sun shines from lower angles need more protection on their necks so their less curly hair will be great protection laying down more.

MinderMutsig
May 23rd, 2012, 02:23 PM
Interesting. Apparently, my hair didn't get the memo. It grows faster from December until April. Mine grows fastest from October until around February/March, then sheds like crazy and stalls until late August/early September.

If vitamin D is the cause for increased growth this makes sense for me though. I detest summer and can't stand the sun so I'm pretty much a hermit during the summer months. I stay inside and out of the sun as much as possible during the day and if I have to go out I wear factor 50 sunscreen and cover up as much as is bearable in the heat. I only go outside around or before sunrise and around or after sunset.

In the winter however I'm a total outdoorsy type of person. I love autumn and winter. I love riding my bike in the rain, snow and freezing cold. I go for long walks. I'm outside and in the sun and daylight a lot more.

Maybe I should consider taking a vitamin D supplement during the summer months.

spookyghost
May 23rd, 2012, 05:39 PM
This might seem weird but I go to the tanning beds on a regular basis just to get my hair and scalp exposed. Its seems to help! Right now I dont want to get a tan so I keep all my clothes on and lay there and make sure to cover my face too. ;))

This seems to help growth? I tried really hard to stop tanning for obvious health reasons but ended up tanning again for the summer. I love tanning but the cancer issue always scares me but it never occured to me to tan clothed! I would probably have to have impressive growth for me to do that but I'm real curious if you did get good growth from doing this.

jacqueline101
May 23rd, 2012, 08:53 PM
My hair likes summer I think it grows more in the summer then the winter time.

Miss Catrina
May 24th, 2012, 12:41 PM
I feel like I've had a growth spurt in the last two weeks, so I believe it...

Ticky
May 24th, 2012, 04:59 PM
I haven't noticed any difference last summer(s) :shrug: I'll pay more attention to it in the next couple of months, just to see.

curlylocks85
July 4th, 2015, 02:48 PM
I've been reading everywhere that hair tends to gorw faster in summer than in winter...

Is this officially true?

If it IS true, can we "fool" our scalp by applying low degrees of heat several times a day or exposing our scalp to sunlight?

and YES, i'm desperate! :doh:

*BUMP*

I don't know if it is about the heat, but rather, what the sun offers when our hair is exposed to sunlight.

Some research suggests that hair may possibly gain more nutrients, such as, vitamin D, when
exposed to more daylight, and less nutrients, when exposure to the sun is less, which may be a factor of why some people experience more hair growth in the warmer months. However, this does not fit with those who experience more hair growth in the colder months and the grey area in between.

Anyway, regardless of the science behind it, I am just happy my hair grows at all. :)

Wildcat Diva
July 4th, 2015, 03:34 PM
I get a lotta lotta heat and sun most of the year. Normal hair growth rate.

Wusel
July 4th, 2015, 04:24 PM
I have a HUGE growth spurt since it's HOOOT in Germany. It grows a quarter inch in 5 days.

nakima
July 4th, 2015, 06:37 PM
mine seems to get longer in summer and thicker in winter.

Alien Girl
July 4th, 2015, 08:41 PM
I have a HUGE growth spurt since it's HOOOT in Germany. It grows a quarter inch in 5 days.

No way! That means you grow an inch a month? :O

diddiedaisy
July 5th, 2015, 03:41 AM
My hair grows 1cm every four weeks all year round. I've been tracking growth for 17 months and it doesn't stray from that measurement. I would like a summer spurt though!!!

flickm
July 5th, 2015, 04:20 AM
Mine grows like crazy in summer: love the heat, never wear my hair up because i just don't get hot and sticky, and i like it loose. I think there is something in most of the theories in this thread, but i'm wondering if it's also just seasonal rather than heat related. My dogs shed like mad in spring, early summer, then get their summer coats. Maybe we do the same.

lapushka
July 5th, 2015, 05:07 AM
We're having a heat wave in Belgium, so... that's promising. ;) Oh, I kid. I think fairly little can "budge" growth, TBH.

Wusel
July 5th, 2015, 06:01 AM
No way! That means you grow an inch a month? :O

More than an inch. It's amazing! Another half centimeter in the last 4 days! :) But I think it's the combination of hot weather and my extreme training on my cross trainer. 70 minutes every day at 30°C. Makes it GROOOW!!! :)

I'm less than 6 cm from BSL now :) Means, I'm BSL for my birthday in October :)

YvetteVarie
July 6th, 2015, 08:22 AM
Wusel, that's pretty amazing. I will have to track my growth from September onwards to see if it also works with my location (close to Equator). Hopefully I can also see a spurt to BSL

Wusel
July 6th, 2015, 08:48 AM
Wusel, that's pretty amazing. I will have to track my growth from September onwards to see if it also works with my location (close to Equator). Hopefully I can also see a spurt to BSL

You are from Zimbabwe! :) Great!
One of my schoolmates was from Zimbabwe. And three years ago I had a student from Zimbabwe too. You are really nice people with very interesting culture and traditions. :)
Try to exercise if you can. Endurance sports like running (late evening or night). I think this plus heat does the trick. I exercise every day for 60-70 minutes and it's really like I can watch my hair grow since it's hot and I do this. :)

Deborah
July 6th, 2015, 10:48 AM
Yes, I have long noticed that my hair and nails grow faster in the summer. My husband always needs more frequent haircuts in the summer too. I assumed this was true for everyone.

From my point of view, for the hair this is fine, but it's a nuisance to have to cut my nails so much more frequently. I hate cutting and filing nails. :(

HairFaerie
July 6th, 2015, 02:43 PM
Not true for me. I get about an average of 1/4" in summer months but in the winter, I can get 1.5" per month. For some reason my hair likes winter! :)

majesticgoldenr
July 6th, 2015, 04:10 PM
I have been all confused about my hair growth (sorry to hijack the thread but can I explain?)

Generally my hair grows slowly and my hair grew from about waist to tailbone over the course of 1.5 years, and last Sept. I noticed it was about wrist. Since then, its only grown two inches or so. My first instinct is to think that I am near terminal, but the regrowth is also not growing at a normal rate (only a few inches long). Its no fun having hair five inches long and I want it to grow, you know?

Generally drinking more water (which I have been doing) makes my hair and nails grow, so what might be up. My nails are growing faster but my hair is not.

Edit: I have been using castor oil and treating my hair well so I dont think it is breakage.

Alien Girl
July 6th, 2015, 07:01 PM
More than an inch. It's amazing! Another half centimeter in the last 4 days! :) But I think it's the combination of hot weather and my extreme training on my cross trainer. 70 minutes every day at 30°C. Makes it GROOOW!!! :)

I'm less than 6 cm from BSL now :) Means, I'm BSL for my birthday in October :)

I live in a city that is AT LEAST 35C everyday during the summer.
I also do body building and eat a good protein diet.
Maybe my body is used to the extreme heat. :P

Garnetgem
January 20th, 2016, 01:55 PM
My hair tends to speed up with growth during the summer months with less shedding.

lapis_lazuli
January 20th, 2016, 02:04 PM
^Same here. But my growth speeds up only slightly. It's all over the map throughout the year :p

MsPharaohMoan
January 20th, 2016, 02:33 PM
Greenhouse method was something I read of once, basically wear a plastic bag to bed. The heat gets trapped and it's supposed to speed up hair growth... Not sure if it's true or not but it's worked for some.