PDA

View Full Version : Am I cheating?? ;-)

loves2spin
March 21st, 2009, 07:13 AM
After I washed my hair this morning, I decided to see how long it is when it's wet and stretched out. It really IS waist length! Sigh.... but it doesn't LOOK waist length when it's dry. Do I have to wait until it "looks" waist length before I report it as such? :doh: ~ Ah... such a weighty issue! How can I stand the stress?? ;)

Dreams_in_Pink
March 21st, 2009, 07:16 AM
hehee, i wouldn't call this "cheating" as many people here measure hair when it's wet :)

if you measured waist then it is your ACTUAL length right now, you deserve the satisfaction! :cheese:

loves2spin
March 21st, 2009, 07:24 AM
Thank you! :joy:

Dreams_in_Pink
March 21st, 2009, 07:27 AM
Congratulations, by the way :D

darkwaves
March 21st, 2009, 08:15 AM
It's your hair, measure it your way!

(My system is not to use body-point measurements until that's the dry length people see... By yours, I'm past hip. Not bad! But I'm not calling myself that till it's my dry length...)

LHGypsyRose
March 21st, 2009, 08:35 AM
I don't think your cheating either. That is how I have been measuring my hair for a couple of years now. My hair texture can change so much from month to month so I decided to always measure when it's wet in order to get a more accurate and consistent measurment. Congrats!:)

kdaniels8811
March 21st, 2009, 08:50 AM
Your hair will measure longer when wet which is why many of us measure wet!!! Yes, you are at waist. Congratulations!!

neon-dream
March 21st, 2009, 09:21 AM
After I washed my hair this morning, I decided to see how long it is when it's wet and stretched out. It really IS waist length! Sigh.... but it doesn't LOOK waist length when it's dry. Do I have to wait until it "looks" waist length before I report it as such? :doh: ~ Ah... such a weighty issue! How can I stand the stress?? ;)

Haha, my hair is tailbone when it's wet!! I feel like I'm cheating as it's barely waist when dry :(
:flowers:

Speckla
March 21st, 2009, 10:14 AM
It's not cheating. Your hair length is counted to the very ends, right? I'm BSL when wet or pulled straighted but hang a bit past APL when dry and curly. I still don't label myself BSL until there dry...but techically it is BSL. It just depends on what you want to call it.
________
VAPORIZER STORE (http://vaporshop.com)

Aditi
March 21st, 2009, 10:23 AM
Thanks for posting this Thread dear even i had this same dilemma ;). My hair are wavy so when they are wet they are at waist length but when they are dry they go up to half an inch or so. But now i can declare that i am at Waist Length :D .

SimplyLonghair
March 21st, 2009, 10:30 AM
Some will never get any length otherwise, my sis's hair pulls up so much that a hair that is 10 inches long lays less than 1 inch total spirals!
So I say go for it!:cheese:

Teacherbear
March 21st, 2009, 11:47 AM
I measure my hair when it is when (when I actually decide to measure it). I figure for wavy and/or curly hair it is the most consistent way to measure. Otherwise, the length is at the mercy of the humidity and/or braiding style.

loves2spin
April 8th, 2009, 07:05 AM
I posted a picture this morning with my hair WET in my album so you can see how long it "really" is. :)

Copasetic
April 8th, 2009, 08:39 AM
I always stretch my curly hair so that it is straight when I measure. I don't think it is cheating at all. It is not as though you are adding length that isn't there; you are just maximizing your length.

JamieLeigh
April 8th, 2009, 08:53 AM
Well, if you're cheating then so are a lot of people on this site! I don't measure when wet, but I do measure mine when it's pulled straight, because a lot of the time I do wear it straightened (not with heat, of course!! :eek:), and other times I keep it wavy. For me, my styling preference shouldn't dictate the length of my hair, if that makes sense? :p

Congrats on reaching waist, btw!!! :flower:

enfys
April 8th, 2009, 11:47 AM
As long as you don't look at the ceiling as you do it!

If I had curly hair I most definately would, as the curliness can change, especially before it's long/heavy enough for graving to have a say so. If you chose to cook your hair with straighteners it would be that long right?

wahmof9
April 8th, 2009, 12:41 PM
What do you do when your hair is still wavy when wet???? Pull on it? And is that cheating?

CindyLea1
April 8th, 2009, 01:07 PM
LOL Member of Cheaters Annoymous here! I measured right after the shower today too. I also took a picture and posted it in my album too.

I do think you could call it waist very easily. And it looks great! What ever you are doing is working for you.

Heidi_234
April 8th, 2009, 02:08 PM
I measure in inches by stretched/wet hair, but describe it by curled length. It doesn't help me if it's hips stretched if it is never stretched under normal circumstances, but it most helpful to measure it stretched in order to get more accurate measurements and keep track of my growth.
So, IMHO, it's yes and no for you. :) Whatever makes you happy, just remember that you're only cheating yourself, because the hair doesn't get longer if you claim a milestone before your time. :flower:

enfys
April 8th, 2009, 02:40 PM
Whatever makes you happy, just remember that you're only cheating yourself, because the hair doesn't get longer if you claim a milestone before your time. :flower:

Aww, now you tell me! I've been telling people I was at knee!

Heidi_234
April 8th, 2009, 02:45 PM
Aww, now you tell me! I've been telling people I was at knee!
I sure they believed you. :lol:

loves2spin
April 8th, 2009, 03:21 PM
I measure in inches by stretched/wet hair, but describe it by curled length. It doesn't help me if it's hips stretched if it is never stretched under normal circumstances, but it most helpful to measure it stretched in order to get more accurate measurements and keep track of my growth.
So, IMHO, it's yes and no for you. :) Whatever makes you happy, just remember that you're only cheating yourself, because the hair doesn't get longer if you claim a milestone before your time. :flower:
:agape: Only joking. I think you are right! It won't be long until it is REALLY waist length. :)

pdy2kn6
April 8th, 2009, 03:23 PM
thats how i measure, i pull my hair really far as far down as it goes. I wouldnt woprry about it being 'cheating'. i dont think you will be getting a visit from the long hair police any time soon.

Your colors stunnin' btw :)

wendyg
February 7th, 2010, 10:06 AM
Stray post that I have no idea how it got into *this* thread removed.

wg

Sissy
February 7th, 2010, 10:09 AM
congrats on reaching waste... and nope I don't think it's cheating :) However, I do measure my own when dry. If my hair was very curly I might measure it when wet just to see my actual length.

spidermom
February 7th, 2010, 10:23 AM
It's up to you. I go by dry length because that's what other people see.

wookermuffin
February 7th, 2010, 11:30 AM
Not cheating, more like how some people will list their regular length and and will also list their shortest layers.

GoddesJourney
February 7th, 2010, 11:42 AM
Yes, waist. No, not cheating. It's all up to you and whatever it takes to get a good consistent measurement. By the way, you really will have to change your stats from short to waist. ;)

AmericanWoman
February 7th, 2010, 12:06 PM
No, i measure my hair wet because I want to know how long it really is. It's waist length dry and past hip when wet. I've also figured out how much I have to go before I'm TB dry and wet. Hey- I'm hip.

starlights
February 7th, 2010, 12:21 PM
wow, what a interesting thread...

my hair when wet is waist, but i wont call my hair that until im there when dry :)

wendyg
October 30th, 2010, 06:11 AM
Flexi-8 with amethyst beads and a purple cluster:
http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee36/gwyndred/2010-10-30-f8-amethyst.jpg

wg

mariika
October 30th, 2010, 01:14 PM
As far as I know people only care about how long your hair looks. When I was in school we only considered dry length. And here on LHC I see people saying they are ** length and in their picture you can see how they mean it's the dry hair length.
On the other hand, I have curly hair that can be dried in a way that makes it jump up to barely touching my shoulders and I can dry it so that it's easily past APL, and straightened it's BSL which at wet length it's past. I cannot stand thinking of my hair length as APL - it's too frustrating so between me and me I consider my hair BSL.

Speckla
October 30th, 2010, 01:30 PM
It's best for me to say what my stretched length is because my hair down is different lengths and different times depending on the humidity and other factors.

GRU
October 30th, 2010, 02:26 PM
I go by the actual length of my actual hair, not how long it "looks like".

With curls like mine, people are always amazed at how long my hair REALLY is -- depending on humidity, etc., my shrinkage can be as much as ten inches (25cm). My hair might only look to be a skosh past BSL, when in fact it reaches the top of my "vertical smile" when pulled straight.

So no, I don't think it's "cheating" because your hair really IS that long. You've accomplished the same amount of growth as someone with 1a hair, so you should be able to get the same credit, IMO.

christine1989
October 30th, 2010, 02:57 PM
I would say it is ok (especially for wavies and curlies). I always measure mine when stretched because when it is not it is anywhere between APL and BSL.

jojo
October 30th, 2010, 03:13 PM
i measure dry but everybody's different, if it still reaches waist dry or wet then its waist and I dont consider it cheating.....congratulations!

Niwa
October 30th, 2010, 04:14 PM
So no, I don't think it's "cheating" because your hair really IS that long. You've accomplished the same amount of growth as someone with 1a hair, so you should be able to get the same credit, IMO.
I agree. It's odd to me to consider only how the hair looks when those with curly hair have hair that grows not only "down", but also "out", no matter how long it gets. It is random for someone with 1a or 2a hair to get to claim milestones, but for someone with 3b hair not to get to claim the same milestones they too have reached, merely because the 1a has a straighter texture. If we are to consider only how our hair looks, then we need to develop measures of outward width, rather than downward length, for those with very curly hair. Something like "head width", "shoulder width", "two bodies width". :laugh: Clearly, that would be more complex than people just claiming their actual length, so, again, claiming actual length makes more sense to me.

KittyLost
November 1st, 2010, 03:14 AM
Don't worry I cheat too!

I measure my hair wet and for my length pictures I straighten my hair :o

BeautifulBella
November 1st, 2010, 03:54 AM
Thats not cheating lol.... my hair is wavy and isnt mid-back length unless I stretch the strands, so I feel a little weird describing it mid-back length, but its past bra strap so I dunno what to say...

Nae
November 1st, 2010, 05:01 AM
Hmmm, I would say measure wet so you can see your total inches. I personally wouldn't call it waist till that was how it fell when it was dry BUT you have the right to call it that because that is really how long it is, you know what I mean? ACK! I am confusing myself. I am off to get some coffee.:coffee: I am not awake yet.

purple_figtree
November 1st, 2010, 07:30 AM
It's not cheating, because your hair really is that long. I like to measure when wet too, because it makes me feel like I've made more progress, but my hair is straight enough that I wouldn't feel right claiming a length until I had actually reached it dry.

bunzfan
November 1st, 2010, 10:18 AM
I'm so glad you posted this it means i am nearly mid back:cheese: i second everything everyone has said about wavy/curly hair losing a couple of inches at least when dry. It means the only consistent way to measure this type of hair is when its wet :)