PDA

View Full Version : Highlighting At Home

Barefootgirl
March 21st, 2009, 05:32 AM
Do any of you do your own highlighting at home?

I am thinking of trying this as the area I live in is a challenge in that most stylists won't touch highlights unless you want a full head of them - it's expensive around here.

I only need a few.

I think my hair is too thick and long for a cap and worry that foils might be a challenge in trying to do them on my own? (can't see behind my head, lol).

I remember a colorist once using these plastic clear "shells" that clipped together so she could see the color as it developed - I think she said they were made by Goldwell (I think that's the name), but I never found them anywhere.

What about getting a brush where I could paint on my own selective thin pieces?

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Honey39
March 21st, 2009, 06:04 AM
What about the one where you brush on highlights with a wand? I've seen my friend use that - it's a home dye kit - and the results are lovely; just flashes of colour through her dark hair. but it's not really highlighting, more just strands of colour haphazardly through her hair.

I have low lights put in by the hairdresser, and just get a half head of highlights every time; it's expensive though, I know that. I just think if you get it wrong, it can go horribly wrong! I suppose my advice would be to go slowly and carefully, try one or two, and get a friend to help you!

Carolyn
March 21st, 2009, 06:33 AM
Years ago I did one of the at home, paint on high lights kits. It worked pretty well. I found that putting the stuff on with my fingers worked better than painting them on. I took little clumps of hair and applied the bleachy stuff by smoothing it down the length of the hair. I liked the results.

Rohele
March 21st, 2009, 10:03 AM
I used to do the paint on kits as well - they worked really well for me. You can paint them on in the spots where your hair lightens in the sun, and they look really natural (I used to paint them around my face and on the tips of my hair). The advice to just start put with a few is good advice too - you can always add more if you decide to do them again. You need to be careful not to get blobs of the dye at the top of and down the length of the highlight, which can look really unnatural as it dyes a blob on the surrounding hair, which is one drawback to this method.

Aditi
March 21st, 2009, 10:07 AM
Why don't you ask one your family member or friend to help you with it? I always do highlights on my mom's hair.