PDA

View Full Version : most irritating place you've lost your bun?

pdy2kn6
March 21st, 2009, 05:32 AM
Now that i have started wearing hairsticks everyday and no one has seen my hair down for ages, or ever in some cases now i'm in a different place, which i like because it's a mystery to them how long my hair is. Anyway i was thinking how annoying and awkward it would be if my hair happened to fall our of the bun (the hairsticks holding) in one of my lessons, with me being at the front of the class (as i can't sit anywhere else because i get too easily distracted, making it just an inconvenience more than anything, i would probly have to keep it down until i would get home, or out the lecture theatre, which i would hate. Have you had any inconvenient places your buns fallen out, or needed urgent rearranging?

LisaS.
March 21st, 2009, 06:00 AM
Oh yeah! A couple of years ago, before I'd learned to really anchor my updos, I was playing the piano in front of a crowd. My hair started falling and spitting out hairpins. I mean really spitting them out! I was so embarassed!

Guenever
March 21st, 2009, 07:02 AM
- It's pretty annoying to have your bun loosen when you're working out.. I recently started running and hate when it happens cause redoing it really disturbs my rhythm, breathing and concentration.. gah.
I have asthma, so I have to be in control of my breathing in order to get a proper workout - which is hard when your hands are clumsily trying to twist the hair and brutally attach it to the back of my head while keeping a fair pace.
- Also, when you're baking and standing with your fingers all covered in flour and dough.. now, THAT'S annoying :p

BlndeInDisguise
March 21st, 2009, 07:06 AM
My bun has never fallen down, and I don't expect it will. They aren't built for beauty, they're built for solidness. :D

BittSweetCherry
March 21st, 2009, 07:47 AM
Oh hell, yes. I've had buns and plaits (the latter when my hair was much shorter) knocked out while undertaking a ju jitsu training set-up known as the gauntlet - the class makes two parallel lines ~4m apart and you have to get from on end of the room to the other while your classmates attack you. There are no 'time-outs' or polite pauses in the attack, you don't run, you walk down the centre and you accept any challenge and deal with it in complete (block, throw/lock, pin to the ground, ky-i). Now try fighting a string of guys 20kg+ heavier than you when waist-length sweaty hair is sticking to your face and under your armpits, or getting inexplicably wrapped around your opponent's fingers just as you throw them to the floor. I have a LOT of damage to grow out from martial arts related abuse.

I also had my U-pin fall out while I was serving a customer once, just days after camping where there were saucer-sized spiders. I screamed bloody murder when the pin brushed past my shoulder. The poor customer went into shock.

AJoifulNoise
March 21st, 2009, 08:07 AM
My bun has never fallen down, and I don't expect it will. They aren't built for beauty, they're built for solidness. :D

This, pretty much. When I first started wearing buns I would carry a box of accessories around with me just in case it fell. But, it never did. I make my buns tight and solid. No room for shifting or falling. In fact, in most cases, even when I pull out the sticks/pins/ficcare my bun stays up for quite a while all on its own. :lol:

pdy2kn6
March 21st, 2009, 08:19 AM
This, pretty much. When I first started wearing buns I would carry a box of accessories around with me just in case it fell. But, it never did. I make my buns tight and solid. No room for shifting or falling. In fact, in most cases, even when I pull out the sticks/pins/ficcare my bun stays up for quite a while all on its own. :lol:

the past few days mine has been doing this too. Its great when you pull out the stick and it still looks like a great well positioned firm bun. I wouldn't risk continuing my day activities without the stick, but when just laying around the house after a day at uni, its great seeing how long it will stay for :)

adiapalic
March 21st, 2009, 08:34 AM
I've had mine start to fall down when I was working in the printmaking shop making monoprints--ink all over my hands and apron! :mad:

Aisha25
March 21st, 2009, 08:49 AM
Yes happens to me all the time. The worst is when im taking something out of the oven and they just fall all over the place. Once it happened to me outside and my hairs just came falling down, everyone was like 'woooahh and whispering' I was so embarressed and try to hurry to put them up so fast.

Wind
March 21st, 2009, 09:08 AM
Playing volleyball in highschool with TBL hair. My hair is fine and stick straight, so unless it's nasty greasy, there is no way a bun would stay up on it's own! Back then I could have lost one pin, and to whole 'do would go to pot. :mad:

LadyLongLocks
March 21st, 2009, 09:35 AM
This is why I can't count on hair sticks, I don't want to be checking my bun constantly. If I use sticks, I use small hair clips or Amish pins to secure the bun first and then add the sticks.
With sticks only, it is like a balancing act!

Myrrh
March 21st, 2009, 10:43 AM
I had my bun come out while riding yesterday, at first I tried fixing it but at a canter it wasn't really feasible so I left it down. Kind of felt good flowing free. :)

Ranee
March 21st, 2009, 10:55 AM
In court. Very unprofessional.

kali_shey
March 21st, 2009, 10:56 AM
Seeing as how I'm lazy, I had my hair bunned with a large Ficcare Maximus (it won't go all the way over the bun; it's more a glorified hairstick) and it kept falling down at hockey games because the people behind me in the bleachers kept smacking me in the back of the head with their knees, jackets, etc. Try watching the puck and putting your hair to rights. :poot:

Other than that, hiking. I like to have my hair secured, I hate ponytails because they're a bit pointless to me (dent in hair and lots of tangles) so I have to stop once or twice and fix it.

Thirdly--anywhere I'm near an open flame lol.

Feye
March 21st, 2009, 12:13 PM
I've never lost a bun or hairstick, but I once lost a drumstick during a concert. I propelled away in the middle of the song and all music had to stop. He he, worst embarrassing moment ever

(And I guess that this can quickly tell you that I wasn't a professional band member or anything... If I had been, I would have kept a few drumsticks in my back pocket!!)

When it comes to hair, if you are afraid of the bun sliding, perhaps keep a back up scrunchie or clip in your back pocket?

sneakybea
March 21st, 2009, 01:24 PM
While teaching. It's bad, but I just keep going and deal with it when I get a chance.
I also almost lost one of a pair of Nightblooming sticks while waiting for the bus---they were doing construction at my usual stop, so I walked up a block to the previous stop, very quickly because I thought I was late. I actually heard the stick fall, but thought it was melting snow, and didn't think a thing of it, until I noticed my bun felt unstable. When I did, I walked back to the original stop and found the stick, thank goodness.

Eryka
March 21st, 2009, 01:50 PM
This is why I braid my hair first, and THEN put it up. If my braid falls down its no biggie because even then it is contained. But before that . . .

Martial arts practice (major owwie and now my little finger is permanently crooked)
Gym class
Amusement park rides
Sex (also a major owwie)
Changing a diaper (dont ask)
you get the idea. . . .

pdy2kn6
March 21st, 2009, 03:37 PM
[quote=sneakybea;512909]While teaching. It's bad, but I just keep going and deal with it when I get a chance.
[quote]

Argh yeah, this is what i was thinking may happen, i want to become a teacher, but i would imagine it would be abit awkward if my bun fell down mid-lesson, i would just have to use extra hairsticks in my hair for complete security when the time comes that i become a teacher

hurricane_gia
March 21st, 2009, 03:54 PM
I had a bun fall out in the middle of a Yoga class. We were all doing 'downward facing dog' and there was the sound of my hairstick hitting the floor. Everyone suddenly swiveled to look at me, and my hair slowly un-bunned itself and started puddling on the floor. I just scooped up the stick like this sort of thing happened all the time, and re-bunned it as fast as I could.

enfys
March 21st, 2009, 03:54 PM
I was serving a customer, and the one stick I had in went flying for no reason. I hadn't moved, I was just on the till. It landed about a metre away. Neither of us mentioned it.

I used to anchor my hair when I wore hairsticks when it was longer, now the layers make it harder to.

Beatnik Guy
March 21st, 2009, 06:19 PM
I was on a Vietnam Airlines flight a few years ago and cabin crew member giving a safety demo dislodged her bun while 'place life vest over your head'. She professionally completed the demo before re-bunning her hair. Anyhow, it made me watch even if I'd heard it before. :wink:

Chromis
March 21st, 2009, 06:30 PM
If I need to make sure my hair stays up securely, I put it up in a secure manner to ensure it does so. I can experiment when it doesn't matter!

may1em
March 21st, 2009, 10:15 PM
Yup. In class. While teaching it.

Nothing like having to redo my hair in the middle of a grammar point or explaining what the group work should entail...

Also, I end up with chalk dust up in there that way, too.

BritHair
March 21st, 2009, 10:54 PM
Hmmm....most irritating place has to be when I am bathing the dogs. I have a Great Dane so I have to bath him in the shower with me. So bending over to lather him up and scrub vigorously, my hair has come undone before and gotten wet and...well ya get the picture:rolleyes:

ReddishRocks
March 21st, 2009, 11:11 PM
I teach 9 and 10 year olds... and they're so used to my up-dos falling out that they don't even blink an eye, LOL!

My hobby is Irish stepdance. I was in the middle of a class practice for competition. We were all performing our solo steps in front of everyone at full speed, two at a time... I was in the middle of my slip jig (lots of movement and bouncy kicks) when my sticks came loose.

Not really a problem on its own, but when you are competing for floor space against another dancer and can't see well beyond your hair while trying to avoid dropped sticks... And then you're also worried about the other dancer because she is your friend and teammate... and you can't push your hair back since you're trying to maintain proper dance posture with your hands by your side...

Let's just say it wasn't one of my finer dancing moments! ;)

hairymonster
March 21st, 2009, 11:46 PM
It's usually when my hands are dirty and it isn't convenient to rebun my hair, but the work I'm doing requires me to bend down so my hair would end up in yucky places if I don't .

Examples:
When I'm taking out the garbage (yuck)
While washing the toilet (yuck)

Cinnamon Hair
March 22nd, 2009, 12:12 AM
Have you had any inconvenient places your buns fallen out, or needed urgent rearranging?

Yes, in the car while driving for one. That hasn't happened in a long time but for awhile I was bumping my bun into the headrest or on the roof when getting in/out and it would make my bun so loose that it wouldn't take much movement for it to fall soon after.

Another was recently when I had gloves on (with nasty wood chips and manure on them, no less) and was outside moving/cutting tree branches. That sucked.

Usually when my bun is about to fall I can tell because it starts to pull at my scalp. Then I can just duck into the bathroom to fix it.

FreakyGreenEyes
March 22nd, 2009, 12:15 AM
I've lost my bun while interviewing a potential employee. It kind of threw me off.

longhairedfairy
March 22nd, 2009, 01:04 AM
My hair fell down completely once during a dance class at college.

Masara
March 22nd, 2009, 02:40 AM
When I'm just pottering about at home, I generally just stick my hair up any old how to get it out of my face. I falls out quite often, but it's not a problem.
If I'm going out, then I expect my hair to stay up without budging all day. This is why I don't do any kind of "soft" or "messy" buns and I always try out a new style at home to check its staying power.

The only memory of losing a bun was with a double rope braid bun held with a small ficcare and I was getting to the stage that a small wasn't really big enough. I was in the middle of a lesson when I felt something soft touching my shoulder: one of the braids was unwinding. I kept explaining my grammar point while I caught hold of it, twisted it back up and re-adjusted the ficcare. It didn't need any concentration and I usually wave my hands around a lot while teaching anyway. Then I realised that no-one was looking at the explanation on the board, they were all staring at my head......

ajr
March 22nd, 2009, 02:51 AM
Teaching Algebra to a bunch of 14 year olds, I was writing on the board and my bun just collapsed somehow, no time to catch it. And I wear my hair up every single day so they had no idea. It took me 10 minutes to get their attention back on math, the brats were asking questions even after I had put it back up.

JamieLeigh
March 22nd, 2009, 04:00 PM
Let me just say that I am SO happy I learned how to use hairsticks. Because I used to do the scrunchie-slouch-bun thing all the time, and it would fall out at the most inconvenient times. The worst has got to be while changing my dd's poopy diaper, and of COURSE my hair landed RIGHT in the :poop:!!!!

Eryka
March 23rd, 2009, 12:46 PM
Let me add changing a maxi pad too. (Long hair is SOO glamorous)

Anje
March 23rd, 2009, 01:22 PM
It's irritating when the bun falls out when I'm in the shower, all sudsed up, and wasn't planning on wetting my hair.

Worst place I've started losing a bun is when I've hastily put it up to clean the litter box. However, I generally can feel it going and get away before my hair lands in there.

Oddly enough, stick-secured buns stay the best for me. It's the quickly done ones with something more slippery, like a wavelength pin, that tend to slide out.

burns_erin
March 23rd, 2009, 01:29 PM
Playing volleyball with classic length hair. I used to keep my hair in a pony with a scrunchy or hair tie, then bunned with another scrunchy or hair tie. I dove to dig a ball and did the roll thing to pop up thing, but I did not know that my bun had come out, so I planted my knee on part of the pony tail then tried to jerk up. Long story short, but I gave myself a wicked case of whip lash and that was the begining of the end of long hair for me for over a decade.

frizzinator
March 23rd, 2009, 04:19 PM
I was grappling with a guy in my martial arts class and I felt the bun dangling from my head.

Aisha25
March 23rd, 2009, 05:38 PM
Ooh I had this happen yesterday. I had come home from relative visit and brought back a bag of chicken well what I did not know was that the bag had been cut and when I lifted it to put in the freezer all the blood and juices came spilling all over the floor. I had bent over to clean it and my hair fell out of my bun and almost landed in the mess but I had caught them in time :rolleyes: goodness!:eek:

Schefflera
March 23rd, 2009, 10:20 PM
*amused* I envy those of you who can make your buns so solid and reliable that they only fall out when you're experimenting. I'm still trying to get the hang of ones that stay up all day instead of eventually torquing loose, in the first place -- though so far I tend to catch them before they actually collapse altogether.

invisiblebabe
March 23rd, 2009, 10:23 PM
When I was in gymnastics, I had hair that was somewhere between hip and classic. It would ALWAYS come out of its bun when I was training. I was very easy to spot in the gym, and not only because I was the tallest gymnast there, either! Just look for the gymnast always fiddling with her hair, because it wouldn't stay up ;)

princess
March 24th, 2009, 08:34 PM
It happened when I was in college long long ago. I used to lazy knot my hair and for holding the bun I used to use a pen(!) and I remember when my professor called me and I rushed to her side and there the bun came off because the pen fell out. But I hid my embarrassment and talked to her with my hair down my back and then excused myself and knotted it again.

After that I used to ponytail my hair and stopped making that bun while attending lectures.

Juneii
March 24th, 2009, 09:00 PM
during class. I'd be writing an essay or taking a test or just doing classwork and it would fall down and I would try to put it back up but it refuses to stay that way and falls down again. :( so I usually just put it in a ponytail and ignore it

Gypsy
March 25th, 2009, 12:46 AM
Sitting on the toilet.
My hair isn't long enough to fall in the bowl, but the sticks/pins/hair ties slide right on into the water along with whatever else I put in there.:cool:

MadPirateBippy
March 30th, 2009, 11:39 PM
When I was moving, my bun fell out when I was carrying something heavy with someone else, halfway down the stairs. It was windy and I was blinded by my hair.

That was Not Fun.

Peregrine
March 31st, 2009, 06:45 AM
I've lost my bun while interviewing a potential employee. It kind of threw me off.

On the other side of this, I had my bun fall out while being the potential employee. I usually use scrunchies to hold my hair up but did not think they had the right look for a job interview. So I used a hair band instead. As I was walking out of the interview I realized that I no longer had my hair band.:o

vindo
March 31st, 2009, 09:31 AM
I usually damp bun if I wear risky updos like that, so if it falls out it maintains the knotted or bunned shape for a moment long enough for me to catch the hair and put it back..:)

But I do have more length, I am afraid shorter hair might just open up...with me my knot basically hits my back or shoulders causing it to pause unraveling ;)

I am very concerned about people at work not knowing my hair length btw.