PDA

View Full Version : Does anybody hang upside down?

Centeredgirl1
March 20th, 2009, 12:23 PM
I have an inversion bar and have been using it lately to rush blood to my head in order to increase scalp health.:)

Does anybody else do this? If so for how long and what have been the results you've seen in your scalp/hair?:confused:

It feels really good by the way.

Briar
March 21st, 2009, 12:29 AM
I get so terribly dizzy when my head drops below my body over the edge of the bed. I think I'd pass out on one of those bars. But it sounds like a really nifty idea!

pdy2kn6
March 21st, 2009, 06:54 AM
i dont do it often but when im washing my hair i stand up and lean forward sort of so my heads upside down as much as possible. i have heard that going upside down does really increase circulation, great idea buying a bar for it. i try doing it on the end of my bed but it isnt too comfy, and doing handstands can only last a short period. Let us know the progress....

Peggy E.
March 21st, 2009, 07:32 AM
I had this vision of my beluga whalelike self, after somehow getting onto the inversion equipment to begin with, dangling upside down - the puffy starched-up torso wielding straight-out-to-the-side balloon-like appendages, the chubby cheeks pulled tight in a Weight Watchers reject's version of "The Silent Scream!"

But my hair would look great!!!! ;o)

Speckla
March 21st, 2009, 11:40 AM
I had this vision of my beluga whalelike self, after somehow getting onto the inversion equipment to begin with, dangling upside down - the puffy starched-up torso wielding straight-out-to-the-side balloon-like appendages, the chubby cheeks pulled tight in a Weight Watchers reject's version of "The Silent Scream!"

I think my hair grew 1/2" from laughing at this. The pressure was so great that it pushed my hair out. :cheese:

Pixna
March 21st, 2009, 01:33 PM
I think my hair grew 1/2" from laughing at this. The pressure was so great that it pushed my hair out. :cheese:

If laughter is good for the follicles, I owe Peggy E. and Speckla mucho gratitude!!!! :laugh:

missmanytoes
March 21st, 2009, 02:06 PM
I have an inversion table that I use probably about once a week...never thought about my scalp though. I dangle upside down because it makes my back feel so good!

CaraLynn
March 21st, 2009, 03:31 PM
Like Grandpa from The Munsters? :D Maybe that was Lily's secret to hair growth...ok I'm tired and a bit silly...sorry!

princess
March 22nd, 2009, 04:14 PM
You can do Sarvangasana which is as good as hanging upside down with more beneficical properties.

Lie on you back with hands along the sides lying parallel to you body. Hold your waist with your hands slowly raising you feet up in the air to stand at right angles to your body.

Only your head , neck and upper portion of your chest should be on the ground.

This will come with practice and becomes easy. You have to breathe out completely to flatten you belly when you raise your legs up in the air. You can try it next to a wall.

Stay as long as you can and come down slowly.

This pose is very beneficial and almost has all the benefits of staying upside down.

JamieLeigh
March 22nd, 2009, 04:21 PM
I hang my head off the edge of the bed, when I'm about to do my scalp massage, or brush massage. :) It does feel good, LOL.

Teazel
March 22nd, 2009, 04:24 PM
I often wish I had a bar to hang off when my back is aching. Never thought about it being beneficial to the hair! :D

Alaskanheart
March 22nd, 2009, 06:26 PM
I posted about something similar several years ago when I first joined. I got laughed at pretty good. I knew someone who did headstands every night before bed for hair growth, she had extremely long, extremely curly and extremely thick hair. I think that blood flow does help in hair growth, afterall isnt that what massage is suppose to do as well?

princess
March 22nd, 2009, 09:39 PM
It is all about blood circulation. When there is more blood circulation to the brain so memory power improves as well as the hairgrowth. know from personal experience that hair shedding stopped and I felt really good.

Finoriel
March 23rd, 2009, 02:22 AM
Iīm not really sure if hanging upside down means increased blood circulation in the same way like sport/being active does. The positive thing about the whole circulation thing was that you get more oxygen and īnutrientsī(in lack of a better English word) pumped around via the blood which may be beneficial for the hair. Right?
Hanging ones head below ones feet does not mean increased circulation, it means blood īholdupī in the head. The brain is not made for such blood holdup that's why we first feel dizzy, then pass out and finally can get serious brain damage and die when doing that too long. Itīs not coincidence that hanging a person upside down once was a torture method :wink:. The blood which is held up in the head area when doing this is the oxygen low kind one on itīs way back to the heart anyways. Also if blood holdup was good for hair growth the hair on our legs and feet should be much longer... :eyebrows: Hobbit anyone? :wink:
All in all I doubt that hanging upside down has any benefit on hair growth.

princess
March 23rd, 2009, 10:43 AM
For a period of time like doing a yoga pose or any other method is not going to cause a blood hold up like torture techniques.

It does help because more blood flows towards that area.

If the massages improve blood circulation and blood flow then the poses work in the same way.

Centeredgirl1
March 23rd, 2009, 11:36 AM
Will do. I have placed a mirror in front of me to see how my head looks. Red and weird:rolleyes:. Also I notice a couple of BIG veins on the side of my outer eye brows that seem to be really puffy with blood.

I vow to report. Thank pdy:)
i dont do it often but when im washing my hair i stand up and lean forward sort of so my heads upside down as much as possible. i have heard that going upside down does really increase circulation, great idea buying a bar for it. i try doing it on the end of my bed but it isnt too comfy, and doing handstands can only last a short period. Let us know the progress....

Centeredgirl1
March 23rd, 2009, 11:38 AM

Tee hee! love the Silent Scream ref Ms. Peggy!:D

LadyLongLocks
March 23rd, 2009, 11:41 AM
I don't actually hang, but I do bend over and let the blood rush to the scalp as often as possible.
I believe this was a tip from George Michael that I read. I can't remember where I found it.
It can't hurt! I do it more when I go through a shedding period.
Each day when I take out my bun, I bend over and shake out the hair. Sometimes i do a short scalp massage too.

Centeredgirl1
March 23rd, 2009, 11:42 AM
You can do Sarvangasana which is as good as hanging upside down with more beneficical properties.

Lie on you back with hands along the sides lying parallel to you body. Hold your waist with your hands slowly raising you feet up in the air to stand at right angles to your body.

Only your head , neck and upper portion of your chest should be on the ground.

This will come with practice and becomes easy. You have to breathe out completely to flatten you belly when you raise your legs up in the air. You can try it next to a wall.

Stay as long as you can and come down slowly.

This pose is very beneficial and almost has all the benefits of staying upside down.

Vary Kewl!!! :cheese: I'm going to try it tonight. Will report tomorrow. Is Sarvangasana a yoga pose?

Finoriel
March 23rd, 2009, 11:54 AM
The OP has not been asking about yoga poses for general health benefits. (:wink: Yoga indeed is great and does wonders for my spine.) Iīve been replying directly to the original question of the OP. In best intend. Just pointing out that hanging ones head upside down for too long is not really healthy and that expecting more hair growth from it is at least questionable and not a proven fact. :shrug:
Iīm sorry it seems you had issues with my statement princess. Two people two opinions it seems. Iīm just not a big believer :wink: most likely my chronic skepticalnonbelievingscientist-syndrome acting up again. Sorry if that offended you in any way.

Centeredgirl1
March 23rd, 2009, 12:02 PM
I posted about something similar several years ago when I first joined. I got laughed at pretty good. I knew someone who did headstands every night before bed for hair growth, she had extremely long, extremely curly and extremely thick hair. I think that blood flow does help in hair growth, afterall isnt that what massage is suppose to do as well?

Wow really? That's interesting. I never thought of getting laughed at HERE. I guess the board has evolved. I make it a habit of reading lots of threads here and boy, you guys are in front of the curve when it comes to haircare. Most all other boards are wrapped up in product. IMHO this one is focused on hair health alternatives beyond product!

I love this board.:cheese:

Centeredgirl1
March 23rd, 2009, 12:04 PM
It is all about blood circulation. When there is more blood circulation to the brain so memory power improves as well as the hairgrowth. know from personal experience that hair shedding stopped and I felt really good.

:cheese:Oooooh goodie!

Christina
March 23rd, 2009, 12:05 PM
oh ick ick ICK - I cannot beleive I got queasy from reading about hanging upside down! (but coming from the person who gets headaches from stretching backwards with a balance ball, it should not come as a surprise)
Bet it would work though! I've read somewhere that it's good for the skin, too. :p

lemonlife
March 23rd, 2009, 12:07 PM
Oh, I wish I could try it, it sounds fun! But, I get dizzy so easily that it probably wouldn't be advisible for me. Now, a scalp massages & very basic yoga- I could probably do that. :D

Centeredgirl1
March 23rd, 2009, 12:09 PM
Iīm not really sure if hanging upside down means increased blood circulation in the same way like sport/being active does. The positive thing about the whole circulation thing was that you get more oxygen and īnutrientsī(in lack of a better English word) pumped around via the blood which may be beneficial for the hair. Right?
Hanging ones head below ones feet does not mean increased circulation, it means blood īholdupī in the head. The brain is not made for such blood holdup that's why we first feel dizzy, then pass out and finally can get serious brain damage and die when doing that too long. Itīs not coincidence that hanging a person upside down once was a torture method :wink:. The blood which is held up in the head area when doing this is the oxygen low kind one on itīs way back to the heart anyways. Also if blood holdup was good for hair growth the hair on our legs and feet should be much longer... :eyebrows: Hobbit anyone? :wink:
All in all I doubt that hanging upside down has any benefit on hair growth.

Good point, but I only do it for a minute or so 2X day, so I would not consider it torture.:)

Also the hair on other parts of our body are structured differently because they serve a different purpose (thank God - I can't imagine my shaving requirements $$$ Tee hee)

Also, I think the human body needs to be turned upside down every now and again to give our feet a break! I also put my hands over my head twice a day just to move the blood around better.

princess
March 23rd, 2009, 12:22 PM
The OP has not been asking about yoga poses for general health benefits. (:wink: Yoga indeed is great and does wonders for my spine.) I´ve been replying directly to the original question of the OP. In best intend. Just pointing out that hanging ones head upside down for too long is not really healthy and that expecting more hair growth from it is at least questionable and not a proven fact. :shrug:
I´m sorry it seems you had issues with my statement princess. Two people two opinions it seems. I´m just not a big believer :wink: most likely my chronic skepticalnonbelievingscientist-syndrome acting up again. Sorry if that offended you in any way.

Oh no I do not have issues with your statement. I did say yoga or "any other technique". It is just that I felt the torture technique comparison was a bit too strong. For that matter I have heard my yoga teacher mention that some hatayoga poses have been compared to torture technique by people who do not understand the beneficial values of these poses.

Since you practice yoga you must be knowing and experiencing the good benefits of the yoga poses. They are not just for the spine and flexiblilty but also help internal organs. If you research about the beneficial effects of the "shirasasana" the head pose pretty much it works the same as the "hanging upside down."

Of course you are entitled to your opinion. I do understand your skepticism

princess
March 23rd, 2009, 12:25 PM
Vary Kewl!!! :cheese: I'm going to try it tonight. Will report tomorrow. Is Sarvangasana a yoga pose?

Yes it is. But make sure you try it on an empty stomach. Like in the morning before breakfast. Never try on a full stomach.

Centeredgirl1
March 23rd, 2009, 02:19 PM
Yes it is. But make sure you try it on an empty stomach. Like in the morning before breakfast. Never try on a full stomach.

Got it. I will try tomorrow A.M.:cool:

Aisha25
March 23rd, 2009, 02:49 PM
Then wouldnt bats and vampires have the longest hair of all:lol: j/k

princess
March 23rd, 2009, 05:29 PM
Aisha25 you are fortunate and gifted with long hair.

This method promotes long hair growth.

I do not know about bats and vampires.

Aisha25
March 23rd, 2009, 05:50 PM
Aisha25 you are fortunate and gifted with long hair.

This method promotes long hair growth.

I do not know about bats and vampires.
:lol: Oh I know but I was just joking around:p

princess
March 23rd, 2009, 07:45 PM
I know. Ha Ha!

Centeredgirl1
March 24th, 2009, 11:39 AM
I know. Ha Ha!

Okay I tried this morning. I didn't get a blood rush to my head like I do when I hang like a bat.

Maybe I was doing doing something wrong. Was I supposed to lift my hips off the bed (difficult) whilst my feet are towards the ceiling and I am exhaling while lifting my feet.

Sorry if I am confused. I really want it to work. Thanks Princess.

BlackfootHair
March 24th, 2009, 11:50 AM
I have never tried the inverter thing, but I would imagine that it would help my back pop into place. :) I'm kind of scared of them though because I imagine I'd get stuck hanging upside down. lol

Aisha25
March 24th, 2009, 11:52 AM
:laugh: I would be afraid of that too LOL!

I have never tried the inverter thing, but I would imagine that it would help my back pop into place. :) I'm kind of scared of them though because I imagine I'd get stuck hanging upside down. lol

marzipanthecat
March 24th, 2009, 11:52 AM
Hello there -

(This is my first ever post here, I joined last week but only just got internet access back, phooey to rubbish connections!)

Yes, I do hang upside down sometimes - I have done it for over 30 years (ahem, I'm 35 now) and it all goes back to something my grandfather was telling me from a book he read back in the 1930s where there was some theory that hanging upside down got the blood going to your brain and helped you think better and so on. Well, I can't honestly say I think it improves my mental agility! Or my hair. But it does make me feel really good, so I reckon that's a good enough reason to do it! I think it's just so fun, well, like being 5 years old again and swinging upside down from a park railing.

Actually, I'm just pleased to see that someone else likes doing it too...

princess
March 24th, 2009, 01:55 PM
Okay I tried this morning. I didn't get a blood rush to my head like I do when I hang like a bat.

Maybe I was doing doing something wrong. Was I supposed to lift my hips off the bed (difficult) whilst my feet are towards the ceiling and I am exhaling while lifting my feet.

Sorry if I am confused. I really want it to work. Thanks Princess.

Dont do it on the bed. You have to do it on the floor preferably on a yoga mat or a rug.

The hips have to be lifted off the ground. You have to support your hips with your hand.

Keeping a pillow below your hips helps initially.

Sarvangasana is not the headstand. It is different but it has the good benefits of the headstand.

What I suggested was not the difficult pose given below but a easier version that can be done near the wall with a pillow to support the hips. But the original pose is given below. It is not so difficult if you follow the instructions.

Here's the picture and instructions are there. Good luck

Sarvangasana (http://www.yogajournal.com/poses/480)

princess
March 24th, 2009, 02:03 PM

I know. Everybody feels that when they try a yoga pose. But when you learn yoga under an instructor they teach you how to come back to the original position.

Poses like the headstand should be learned under a teacher.

misspriss
March 24th, 2009, 02:09 PM
I have always wanted to try one of those invirted things. For a few minutes a day, I think hanging upside down would be good for you. Stretch the back, you know?

ETA: Well I forgot about blood to the head for hair! Duh...Anyway I don't think it would help the hair that much, but that is just my initial impression.

Centeredgirl1
March 25th, 2009, 02:05 PM
Hello there -

(This is my first ever post here, I joined last week but only just got internet access back, phooey to rubbish connections!)

Yes, I do hang upside down sometimes - I have done it for over 30 years (ahem, I'm 35 now) and it all goes back to something my grandfather was telling me from a book he read back in the 1930s where there was some theory that hanging upside down got the blood going to your brain and helped you think better and so on. Well, I can't honestly say I think it improves my mental agility! Or my hair. But it does make me feel really good, so I reckon that's a good enough reason to do it! I think it's just so fun, well, like being 5 years old again and swinging upside down from a park railing.

Actually, I'm just pleased to see that someone else likes doing it too...

Welcome, I am honored! Hmmm, you've raised up the "child in me", I was wondering why I started to really look forward to it. Thanks!

Centeredgirl1
March 25th, 2009, 02:09 PM
Oh my! I was waayyyyy offf! Thanks for the pic. Will try again tomorrow morning. I remember doing this was I was a kid. :)
Dont do it on the bed. You have to do it on the floor preferably on a yoga mat or a rug.

The hips have to be lifted off the ground. You have to support your hips with your hand.

Keeping a pillow below your hips helps initially.

Sarvangasana is not the headstand. It is different but it has the good benefits of the headstand.

What I suggested was not the difficult pose given below but a easier version that can be done near the wall with a pillow to support the hips. But the original pose is given below. It is not so difficult if you follow the instructions.

Here's the picture and instructions are there. Good luck

Sarvangasana (http://www.yogajournal.com/poses/480)