PDA

View Full Version : Condition Only and a "duh" moment

atlantaz3
March 20th, 2009, 12:05 PM
The "duh" moment first. After reading the hair eating ficcare thread, I got mine out and starting playing. Moved on from ficcare to hair fork laying on counter. Duh they work horizontal as well as vertical. I don't know why it didn't click after all the bun pic posted with forks inserted horizontally. Anyway I have three of spearharb's forks which will be getting more use as I found a better way to hold one of my buns! (they are even curved for comfort... duh....:doh:)

Condition only = just tried this for the first time this morning. I lke the results, ends seem less frizzed. Question how often do you need to clarify or use shampoo? (I realize individual results may vary!)

Carolyn
March 20th, 2009, 12:21 PM
The "duh" moment first. After reading the hair eating ficcare thread, I got mine out and starting playing. Moved on from ficcare to hair fork laying on counter. Duh they work horizontal as well as vertical. I don't know why it didn't click after all the bun pic posted with forks inserted horizontally. Anyway I have three of spearharb's forks which will be getting more use as I found a better way to hold one of my buns! (they are even curved for comfort... duh....:doh:)

Condition only = just tried this for the first time this morning. I lke the results, ends seem less frizzed. Question how often do you need to clarify or use shampoo? (I realize individual results may vary!)Your hair will tell you when you need to use shampoo. For me it's about once every 2 - 3 weeks on average. When I get that hair-coated-with-gunk feeling and tangling ends, then I break out the clarifying shampoo. It's going to vary a lot. Clarifying often solves a lot of problems. It's a good way to "start over".

Rohele
March 20th, 2009, 01:01 PM
I clarify about once a month or so - sooner if my hair starts to look stringy.

rose_in_bloom
March 20th, 2009, 01:50 PM
I only use a specific clarifying shampoo once a month, but I do "clarify" a couple times a week with regular shampoo. If I don't wash at least once a week with shampoo, my hair gets mushy and feels over-conditioned. But I have super fine oily hair, so if you have thick dry hair you'll probably need to clarify less frequently. So I'd say to just let your hair dictate and do what feels right. :)

CrystalStar
March 21st, 2009, 12:38 AM
I've been CO for around 7 weeks now and I still havn't had the need to clarify once :p

LittleOrca
March 21st, 2009, 01:00 AM
I use the clarifying once a week, but then I do swim a lot too and I use the swimmer's shampoo after each visit. I find the CO's help get the moisture back into my hair that the chlorine likes to take out... especially with Nexxus... I am loving this stuff!!!

Aditi
March 21st, 2009, 01:15 AM
I use shampoo once in a week as my city's climate is very dusty and conditioner isn't enough to clarify the gunk and dust.

karli
March 21st, 2009, 10:39 AM
The "duh" moment first. After reading the hair eating ficcare thread, I got mine out and starting playing. Moved on from ficcare to hair fork laying on counter. Duh they work horizontal as well as vertical. I don't know why it didn't click after all the bun pic posted with forks inserted horizontally. Anyway I have three of spearharb's forks which will be getting more use as I found a better way to hold one of my buns! (they are even curved for comfort... duh....)[

Aren`t they nice, the "duh" moments!

I didn`t clarify at all during six month, there was no need for it. Now I do egg-washes now and then and perhaps they work as a clarifyer. Ít`s mostly when I´ve overoiled my hair and want it to be really clean that I do an egg-wash.

Aditi
March 22nd, 2009, 03:40 AM
Aren`t they nice, the "duh" moments!

I didn`t clarify at all during six month, there was no need for it. Now I do egg-washes now and then and perhaps they work as a clarifyer. Ít`s mostly when I´ve overoiled my hair and want it to be really clean that I do an egg-wash.
How exactly do you do an egg-wash? Won't it leaves its smell in your hair?

karli
March 22nd, 2009, 11:07 AM
How exactly do you do an egg-wash? Won't it leaves its smell in your hair?
I´m sure there´s an explanation here somewhere, although I haven´t found it. I simply take an egg, mix it with a dash of acv and sometimes a few drops of tto. Then I massage it on to my scalp, rinse and condition as normal. If my hair feels dry, I put on the conditioner in the length before. ( instead of cwc, ce)

When I have tto in the blend, my hair smells of that, but I´ve never felt any smell from the egg. If you`re sensitive of the egg-smell, perhaps it will bother you. The only way to know, is to try. Good luck!

Dvips
March 22nd, 2009, 05:55 PM
Just remember not to rinse egg out with hot water... or you'll cook the egg!

JamieLeigh
March 22nd, 2009, 06:23 PM
I CO and I use shampoo to clarify only once every 2 weeks, and then it's diluted with water. Some people can go longer than that, but my hair just feels dull if I go any farther with no clarification. And I don't ever want to be unhappy with what I'm doing for my hair, even if it's a recommended tactic! :)

Sunshine69
March 22nd, 2009, 09:07 PM
I think it depends on your hair, your conditioner, other products you use and maybe your environment. I haven't "clarified" with a shampoo since starting CO washing. I think it's been a couple of months. The cheap conditioners I'm using don't seem to leave a build-up. Once in awhile I will slather my scalp and hair with conditioner and then put my hair up in a bun while I do other things around the house... leave it like that for an hour or more and then rinse it out. That seems to be all the clarification my hair needs.

steph in tx
March 22nd, 2009, 09:13 PM
I am new to CO'ing so I am still in the adjustment phase. I tend to alternate my CO day with a shampoo bar day. That seems to work for me right now. I'm aiming to stretch that all out eventually. I do also enjoy an egg & honey wash.

Aditi, I don't notice any smell with the egg wash. I do notice it a bit while it's in my hair, but once it's rinsed out it's gone. I also think the honey helps cut the smell. I did one with molasses instead of honey last week and my hair reeked of molasses all day. With honey that just doesn't happen, and it really does wash well.

Heavenly Locks
March 22nd, 2009, 09:50 PM
I have been CO for the month of March and have not used any shampoo. My hair does not feel gunky, stringy or like it has any buildup. :)