PDA

View Full Version : Used some oil for the first time and...

dcs60
April 1st, 2008, 03:38 PM
I LOVE IT!! Oh my goodness!! My hair is so incredibly soft! The night before my wash day, I took a bit of oil (actually it was the olive oil/castor oil mix I use on my face) and put in mostly on the length of my hair. I then just pulled it back into my usual pony and crawled into bed. The next morning, I did my usual baking soda cleansing and white vinegar rinse. Because my hair takes so long to dry, it was the afternoon before I realized how incredible my hair felt!! I'm going to start making this a regular part of my routine!!

Patrycja
April 1st, 2008, 03:49 PM
good for you! There are many of us on here that swear by oils,me being one of them.Next time,try using a lighter oil on your ends(such as jojoba).EVOO is awesome for heavy oilings.

Tapioca
April 1st, 2008, 04:29 PM
I use coconut oil as a leave-in and a deep treatment. It washes out very easily and smells yummy!

BrianaFineHair
April 1st, 2008, 06:56 PM
That's great!

I did my first hair oiling this week too - olive oil and nothing else.

Did your hair feel a little thicker too? Mine did.

spidermom
April 1st, 2008, 07:22 PM
Hooray for oiling!

amaiaisabella
April 1st, 2008, 07:48 PM
How do you wash out the oil? Do you CO or use shampoo?

For a heavy oiling, do you put it on dry hair and then wash out the next morning?

I recommend jojoba oil as well, I have found it to be pretty light and not greasy at all.

Henna Sooq
April 2nd, 2008, 03:10 PM
I'm for adding oil straight into the paste. and great! I am happy to hear!

cupcakeblonde
April 2nd, 2008, 03:12 PM
I bought my first little tub of cocnut oil yesterday and OMG I just want to eat it, lol, the smell is gorgeous!

Henna Sooq
April 2nd, 2008, 05:44 PM
lol!! :) I thought I was coconut hungry

ChloeDharma
April 3rd, 2008, 08:32 AM
Ah, that's great that you found something you like :)
I love Castor oil heavy oilings (mixed with almond or coconut), though i never use olive oil.....i should try it again really, i always have some about the place for cooking.

Amaiaisabella, really it's up to you.....i would suggest CO washing it out first.....i've never found an oil that a CO won't get out.....just give the conditioner a good massage in and leave it on a while before rinsing.....20 minutes seemed to work well for me.
As for length of time....i personally leave them on at least overnight, but often for days at a time, topping up as the oil absorbs or gets rubbed off, some people leave them an hour then wash....though there does seem to be a trend that oils left on longer wash out easier so that's something to consider.
You can apply them to dry hair (well, i mostly do) or damp, it's really just dependant on how your hair reacts and which oil you use.