PDA

View Full Version : Using oils and 'cones together

Eirinn
April 1st, 2008, 03:16 PM
Can you help me with this? I'm working on my rutine and I have a problem with this becouse my hair likes both oils and cones. But the question is: how to use an oil to pre-wash if I use cones after wash (so my hair already has a buid up from cones from last wash when I oil it)?:( Anyone?:( Or how to use it in another combination than?

forgetmenotak
April 1st, 2008, 03:40 PM
The only thing that I can think of is doing a pre-wash the night before you wash your hair. Use a non cone shampoo, then heavily oil your hair. The next day wash as usual. Then add a tiny bit of oil to your hair before you condition. That is the only thing that I could think of when I was thinking of going back to cones! HTH

Patrycja
April 1st, 2008, 03:47 PM
I use both oils and cones daily but I need to clarify using baking soda once a week.I have done a heavy overnight oiling with coconut on my ends and tea tree on my scalp bc of the itchies.I rinsed and rinsed and used a noncone conditioner for the first C in the CWC.Then,I did a commerical W with a Sauve scent.Then,a lighter cone conditioner.Being since it was a heavy oiling,I usually do not apply oils when drying like I usually have to.I do apply fote aloe,though and that's just to control my frizzies on my crown.

I really don't know if that answered your questions but I hope I helped in someway.:)

Tapioca
April 1st, 2008, 04:31 PM
I use a homemade defrizz spray made from aloe, glycerin, jojoba oil, a few drops of violet oil (for the smell), water, and No More Tangles. It's cones and oil in the same mix. My hair loves it. And I clarify weekly with Suave daily clarifying.

Eirinn
April 1st, 2008, 04:33 PM
ilovemycop: I thought about it but what do you do when it comes to the next wash? I mean, there are cones on your hair so how do you pre-oil-wash if I can call it this way? The thing is I've ordered Ama Oil which should be put on hair pre-wash 2-3 times a week so to me before every wash, on the other hand I use coney conditioners and serum sometimes so how would you solve it?

Eirinn
April 1st, 2008, 04:37 PM
forgetmenotak: it makes sense but can an overnight oiling be done on the wet hair? And won't it demage my hair if I'll wash it that often?

zift
April 1st, 2008, 04:43 PM
I don't think too much about it. I just heavily oil my hair and wait for 1+hour and than jump in shower and do a CWC wash with cones. I end up with soft shiny hair...

Loops
April 1st, 2008, 06:29 PM
Hi Eirinn -

I do an oiling on dry hair (with a light oil only), then wash it out with a coney conditioner - works for me. If I want to use shampoo then I would get out the oil with the condish then do the CWC, but I haven't really used shampoo at all recently. If I can't get everything out, I reach for my baking soda conditioner (2 teaspoons bs mixed into a whole bottle of non-cone condish - I use a palmfull of this).

I have also mixed in a drop of oil (rose hip works great for me) with a coney serum and this is fabulous.

I don't see why oils can't work with cones - many people use them together without any fuss.

Celebrian
April 1st, 2008, 06:34 PM
I know what's bothering you, and I wondered the same thing. I haven't yet found an answer concerning how oils can penetrate through cones - if indeed they can. I don't know who would know the answer, but flaxen comes to mind. Maybe PM her?

I don't use cones ATM, but I'd still like to know!

spidermom
April 1st, 2008, 06:52 PM
Lately I'm using a coney conditioner. I'm still using oil between washes. It doesn't seem that the cones prevent the oils from being absorbed.

Patrycja
April 1st, 2008, 07:12 PM
hmmm...The next time I wash after I do a heavy oiling,I wash like normal(CWC with heavier cones at the last C).I haven't done a pre-wash oiling the next time I wash after a heavy oiling.Never thought about it really,since the heavy oiling does my hair wonders for about 2 weeks.Oh,and I usually wash DD3.If the itchies don't drive me nuts ;) I have never tried Ama oil so please let us know how that goes.

I still don't know if I answered your questions,but I tried :)

Jeni
April 1st, 2008, 07:40 PM
I use both, my hair can't seem to get enough of either one. I CWC 3-4 times a week (with cone conditioner), I use a little coconut oil on my ends or a cone leave in conditioner everyday and the night before I wash I do a heavy oiling on my hair before I braid it. So far my hair hasn't felt like it has any build up. So far my hair has been soft, smooth and shiny. Not sure if that helps or not.

Jeni

Eirinn
April 2nd, 2008, 02:59 AM
I wonder just about what Celebrian said: "how oils can penetrate through cones". Does it in your rutine? Loops, spidermom and Jeni said it does as I see, which is good news:)

ilovemycop: partly you did, but still I guess it is differend when you have to use oil with cones with *every* wash... But thanks a lot:flowers:

Katze
April 2nd, 2008, 03:10 AM
I don't know how anyone can *really* tell if oil penetrates or not, but I use both 'cones and oil (coconut) on my hair and seem to get good results. At least, my hair is softer, smoother, and shinier when I use both.

I don't wash with 'cones every wash, but most of the time I put coconut oil on my hair while it is still wet, and often oil very lightly between washings. It seems to work well.

What doesn't work well for me at all is oiling heavily before washings. This hasn't worked for a long time - though I kept trying it - because my hair gets so oily that I have to wash several times, thus defeating the purpose of the oiling!

What might work better than oiling is putting conditioner (non-'cone?) in the hair before a wash...just an idea... :)

jel
April 2nd, 2008, 04:06 AM
What might work better than oiling is putting conditioner (non-'cone?) in the hair before a wash...just an idea... :)

Like a stretched-out CWC? I sometimes do that, dampen my hair and apply a little no-cone conditioner at night, then do just a normal SC wash in the morning.

levelek
April 2nd, 2008, 05:21 AM
I accidentally became no cone for a few months, then accidentally used cones again. :) Oiling worked for me both ways, but I found that it absorbed better / was less likely to become crunchy with the no cone routine. I can't explain why it still worked, even if to a lesser degree, on the cone routine, that's just my experience.

manderly
September 1st, 2008, 08:11 PM
After being no-cone pretty much since I started here at LHC, I've decided that my damaged ends require more slip.

So, I've begun experimenting with cones again. I've got tons of slip going on right now (Garnier fructis and Bed Head After Party). My ends still feel kind of nasty though.

Problem is, while it feels generally better (I can actually run my fingers through it without getting stuck), I'm not thrilled about how it looks when it's dried. It looks, well, dry.

I miss my coconut oil. Can I use it even though I'm using heavy cone products? Do others use it with no issues? I like the weight and clumping it adds to my hair.

Thanks!

Kirin
September 1st, 2008, 08:19 PM
i dont use coconut oil, however I use my carrot oil with cones (on the rare occassion that i use them) with no ill effects.

missy60
September 1st, 2008, 08:22 PM
I can use both but I would just try it the worst that could happen is you will have to wash it out. I dont use cones very often but I have had cones on my hair and applied coconut oil over it for a heavier over night oiling and it seemed to me to sort of take the cones off my hair. I dont guess that possible but the plastic feeling went away on my hair.

spidermom
September 1st, 2008, 08:32 PM
Since cones can seal in or seal out moisture, if I used both, I'd do the coconut oil, then the coney product. But I don't do both; it's one or the other.

manderly
September 1st, 2008, 08:34 PM
I guess I should have simplified my question.

If I'm using a coney S&C, can I also use coconut oil? It won't turn to goo in my hair or anything, right?

The afterparty was only used because I left my coconut oil at my parents' house and needed something. Plus its for use on dry hair. I use coconut oil on wet hair.

Darkhorse1
September 1st, 2008, 11:01 PM
Hey manderly--I just did this a week ago today and found the results AMAZING. I've never had such soft hair--I can say it DID weigh it down a bit, but it did wash out well.

My process was:
wet hair (it was really dry from a horse show, so I figured adding water to the hair, then using oil would seal in that moisture). Apply olive oil to hair from middle of length to ends, focus on last five inches of ends.
Let sit for about a minute or two.
Washed with clarifying shampoo (olive oil was NOT easy to wash free btw)
Used pantene moisture renewel conditioner and let sit for about two minutes.
Rinsed/finished with cool rinse.

I did have to re-wash a section of hair that didn't get oil out (it was gross/greasy/stringy), but if you look at my most recent photos, you can see how shiny it came out and it was SOFT!

I may oil bi-weekly now to keep my ends from getting too crispy/dry.

Cinnamon.locks
September 2nd, 2008, 12:19 AM
I use cone products all the time and the recipe i use contains a oil mix and i haven't seen any damage or bad effects from using both.

I use either L'oreal nature's therapy mega moisture treatment condish or Suave's professionals mix of Humectant, Xtreme Strength and Biobasics and i also use Kimo's shea, aloe and oil recipe and my hair feels even better than without it.

I wring the water out of my hair with a towel and then comb wet, apply a dime sized glob of Kimo's shea, aloe and oil mix on the hair, concentrating on ends and spread all over the length and so far after 1 month my hair loves it, the ends are soft and perfect and i have not seen any bad effects on my hair.

I have tried using only oil on my wet hair but it never felt as good as it feels now. JMHO. i mean it cannot hurt, worst thing that could happen is that it does not penetrate the ends as much but i has to help in some way, at least it's better than not using anything but S&C.

HTH.

prosperina
September 2nd, 2008, 12:36 AM
I mix them. I don't think it can hurt. Especially since dimethicone is water soluble. If it were a tougher cone to get out (amodimethicone or the like) I'd worry about having my hair get too weighed down. But a little water soluble silicone isn't a big deal IMO.

ChloeDharma
September 2nd, 2008, 12:38 AM
For ages i CO washed with coney conditioners, and oiled constantly both light and heavy oilings. I found no problems with this at all and never even noticed needing to clarify other than ACV rinces.
There was a theory a while ago that oiling hair that has cones on it softens them so that they are more easily removed and don't build up so much.....i don't remember if the theory was proved right or wrong but it seemed to make sense as far as my hair was reacting.
If your hair likes cones i say use them, lots of people do and have no problems.

jel
September 2nd, 2008, 01:06 AM
That's an interesting theory, CD!

My hair seems to support it too - I use sulphate shampoos and cone conditioners (mostly in CWC) and oil regularly, both light leave-in and heavy (pre-wash). I mostly use EVOO, rather than coconut oil, but that's just personal preference.

AJO8
September 2nd, 2008, 01:06 AM
I use tresseme condistioner every day and oil straight after washing as well. It seems if I miss the oil my hair doesn't feel as nice.

Simplicity
September 2nd, 2008, 05:27 AM
I use a coney conditioner for CWC and rub a few drops of coconut oil into the ends while damp and have had great results. My ends are fried and this is the best routine I've found for them so far.

rags
January 13th, 2009, 04:59 PM
I am trying to stick to my no cones resolutions, but it's not working too well so far! No matter what I do, (SMT's etc.), I have tangly, snarly hair. I'm beginning to think my hair likes cones.

So my question is, if I do go back at least on a limited basis to cones (thinking of a cone detangling spray) can I still use oil on the ends? Because I have also found my hair likes coconut oil fairly well. Or will the cones just seal out the oil and make it not have any effect? Still trying to figure out some of this stuff - even though I've had long hair all of my life, it's never been really healthy. This time I want it to be as healthy as possible!

You are all so helpful and so welcoming to a newbie! I just want to say how much I appreciate and enjoy this board!:)

~GypsyCurls~
January 13th, 2009, 05:09 PM
I'm hoping others will jump on this thread, because I have been wondering the same thing! I was happily cone free over the summer/fall, but once it started to get colder my hair become tangly, drier and didn't hold the shape of the curls well. I went back to cones for a couple weeks and now my hair doesn't seem to be holding on to moisture at all. I'm not sure if cones and oil are a good combo...

I'm glad you are enjoying this forum :) It's a great place to be!

MandaMom2Three
January 13th, 2009, 07:16 PM
I use both cones and oils and it works fine for me :D

Elphie
January 13th, 2009, 07:31 PM
Certain cones build up over time and others (from what I've read) are more water soluble and are removed when shampooing. I'm guessing it would matter which cones are in your products. If it were me, I would try it and see if your hair responds well to it.

Addy
January 13th, 2009, 07:33 PM

Oooo Oooo http://img296.imageshack.us/img296/5866/memenk6.gif (http://imageshack.us) Me TOO! Gotta love that Aussie MOIST and EVOO!! :D

littlemiss
January 13th, 2009, 07:52 PM

I use cones in my shampoo and conditioner and use oils as well coconut and EVOO, apricot and I don't have any problems!! Cones work well for me and my hair as it can get stringy and full of tangles otherwise, so with a good clarifying shampoo all is well!!:)

hth

coppercurls
January 13th, 2009, 08:35 PM

Me too, especially with the winter weather. My hair is extra tangly this time of year.

MandaMom2Three
January 13th, 2009, 08:50 PM
Everyone's quoting me! I feel so special :D

Sissy
January 13th, 2009, 08:55 PM
Certain cones build up over time and others (from what I've read) are more water soluble and are removed when shampooing. I'm guessing it would matter which cones are in your products. If it were me, I would try it and see if your hair responds well to it.

Yes, from what I've heard any cone with the letters PEG before it is water soluble and will not cause build up. One brand of conditioner that has cones but yet they are way down the list of ingredients is JASON. I have the JASON lavender and the JASON Biotin conditioners and both contain cones, but not excessively so. They give nice slip, imho.

I am in possibly a similar boat to you... my hair is prone to tangles... and it seems to look a bit less healthy since getting off the cones... however it could really be due to the fact i'm not blowdrying anymore. Therefore, my hair is not as sleek as before and is more prone to frizz, which makes it appear less healthy.

rags
January 14th, 2009, 03:18 AM
Thank you all so much! I don't know if mine is water soluble or not - dimethicone mostly? I do know if I use it i can comb my hair instead of spending ten minutes trying to detangle it. (or having to use too much coconut oil to detangle and ending up with the greasies).

So back to the drawing board! I shall experiment - thanks for whoever recommended Jason products - I may try those!

Dolly
January 14th, 2009, 05:48 AM
I also use cones and oil with no issues!

boomygrrl
January 14th, 2009, 09:54 AM
I don't think cones really seal out the moisture...at least not much. Perhaps cone build up (excessive cones) could do that. The problem with cones for many people is the build up factor and having to use shampoo to get it out.
Your oil should have no problem penetrating through cones.

AJoifulNoise
January 14th, 2009, 10:09 AM
I use cones and oil. I can definately tell the difference between days that I oil and days that I don't so I'd say it works!

lora410
January 14th, 2009, 10:11 AM
I use cones and no oil without issues. My hair used to hate cones and now it loves them. I have not noticed a difference mositure wise; and my hair is still soft and silky.

AmyJorgensen
March 1st, 2009, 04:56 PM
If you use a 'cone conditioner...is there any point to using coconut oil after the conditioner has been used? What I mean is...does it penetrate the cone conditioner? I have some coconut oil that I recently bought for this purpose. I'm still trying to figure it all out. I sort of want to use up my cone conditioner before switching to natural conditioner so as not to be wastful.

AJoifulNoise
March 1st, 2009, 05:02 PM
I use coconut oil and silicone conditioners. The coconut oil does penetrate and makes my hair silky soft and shiny. Though, I will mention that I shampoo with sulphates once a week... So, I'm not putting the coconut oil on too many layers of conditioner.

Pear Martini
December 25th, 2009, 01:59 PM
I did a bit of searching and have not found an answer to my questions regarding the use of coconut oil on a cone-head.

I have been using only cone-free conditioners for COing and clarifying with Suave Clarify for the past 2 or 3 months. It was going well but recently my hair lately has been.... lackluster. Splits are cropping up left and right. I am S&Ding all the time and new splits keep showing up. I decided to try using cones again for this week .

I was worried that COing with a coney conditioner would leave my hair feeling weird so I shampooed and conditioned yesterday with Suave Humectant. I put a coney serum on my ends when my hair dried.
My hair feels nice but its a tad dry, as it always is.

I usually use coconut oil on dry patches and will slather a ton of it on my mop once or twice a week as a deep treatment. It has done wonders for my hair and I guess it actually penetrates the hair shaft and protects the hair from protein loss. I also live in an area with a humid climate so I definatly trap moisture in when I use coconut oil.

Background info on my hair :
the top 5 inches are virgin and the rest of my APL hair has been bleached and then dyed black.

My question is, if I am using cones will the coconut oil be able to penetrate my hair shaft?

Will it be as beneficial or will I be throwing away time and money applying coconut oil to my cone head?

Thanks for helping out a newbie :D

spidermom
December 25th, 2009, 02:13 PM
This is what I do with excellent results: wash/condition hair, apply a small amount of coconut oil to bottom half of damp length, then use coney serum over that. I was almost ready to tear my hair out from frustration with the tangling until I bought some CHI Silk Infusion. It makes the tangles so much easier to deal with. Since shampooing removes cones, I figure my hair is ready, willing, and able to absorb coconut oil after washing. And it does!

Pear Martini
December 25th, 2009, 03:41 PM
thanks for the advice... I'm assuming your conditioner is without cones? what conditioner do you use?

DMARTINEZ
December 25th, 2009, 06:30 PM
Works for me!!!

deb

GlassEyes
December 25th, 2009, 06:58 PM
It has worked for me in the past. I'm not sure if the oil just imparts more shine or if it penetrates the silicone barrier, but whatever. It works for me!

BranwenWolf
December 25th, 2009, 07:01 PM
I use coconut oil when my hair is dry (as opposed to wet) but for me it works with cones.

spidermom
December 25th, 2009, 07:13 PM
I just bought a new conditioner (have used it twice), and I didn't think to read the ingredients. My former conditioner did not have cones.

SimplyViki
December 25th, 2009, 07:57 PM
I've had good results with coconut oil and I use cones. However, I thought it might be a helpful thing to note that if you use cones, you pretty much need to use shampoo (sulfate shampoo) at some point to clarify. I personally just go ahead and use shampoo most every wash, with an occasional CO wash just for sheer laziness.

My hair drinks up coconut oil just fine, absorbs several fingernails full after a wash with no problem, so I don't think the cones are interfering with the effectiveness of the coconut oil.

may1em
December 25th, 2009, 08:50 PM
I use a product with both, and as long as I don't use too much it works great - Organix Coconut serum.

teela1978
December 25th, 2009, 09:54 PM
I use cones and coconut oil. They work fine together for me.

Almandine
December 26th, 2009, 12:29 AM
I use cones and coconut oil with great results.

Aditi
December 26th, 2009, 02:10 AM
The combination of coconut oil and coney conditioner works fine for me :)

cottage46
February 14th, 2010, 07:37 PM
Hi, I'm new and have been soaking up the information for days. I've had BSL to waist length hair for 15+ years, merrily washing it every day, rubbing it with a towel, and blow drying while rolling the ends under with an ancient cheap round brush. Ugh.

So I'm done with all that. Well, most of it. I have a question about oiling. I have cone and no cone conditioners. Does oiling do any good if I've used a cone conditioner that day? Does any of it soak in and do what it's supposed to do? And does one need to use a clarifying shampoo to get rid of the cones, or will any SLS-containing shampoo do the trick?

Kristin
February 15th, 2010, 10:53 AM
From what I've heard on LHC, using cones kind of "seals" the hair cuticle so that oils can't get in. People who use oils and cones will first oil freshly washed hair and then apply a coney serum on top. Any SLS conditioner should remove cones.

Dreams_in_Pink
February 15th, 2010, 11:25 AM
Any SLS conditioner should remove cones.

There are SLS "conditioners"?? :confused:

teela1978
February 15th, 2010, 11:33 AM
I oil and use cones. I definitely see benefits from both. Getting the oil out depends on how much you put on and what kind of oil you use. Olive oil tends to be a bit harder to wash out of my hair. Coconut oil is what I usually use, a deep oiling an hour or so before washing with a sulfate shampoo. Sulfate-free shampoos generally work fine on coconut oil as well.... and when I was using mostly conditioner washes it worked fine as well to remove it.

julliams
April 2nd, 2010, 06:58 AM
I was going cone free and oiling was doing wonders. I have gone back to cones and wondered if there is any point to oiling - am I going to find that it just sits there rather than being absorbed?

Cleopatra18
April 2nd, 2010, 07:43 AM
I would like to know too.:)

MandyBeth
April 2nd, 2010, 07:47 AM
Try reversing the oil/cones. What I do is apply a light oiling to my ends, wait a bit, then apply the coney product over ends (to seal them) and over the top (to tame the fluff). I think, at least for my hair, it's the best of both that way.

The oil is now sealed in by the cones. But the cones are still easy to remove because the oil under neath means they slip more.

julliams
April 2nd, 2010, 04:19 PM
That sounds good but my cones are in my conditioner so if I were to oil before shampooing surely the shampooing would remove the oil anyway? And I can't oil on wet hair between shampoo and conditioner can I?

Sorry- a bit confused.

julliams
April 2nd, 2010, 06:15 PM
Thanks Mods for moving this - I was thinking later that I had put it in the wrong section.

Meaghan
April 2nd, 2010, 06:34 PM
I'm in the same boat - I just switched back to cones today, and I was wondering the same thing. I think that if you applied the oil the day before your next wash, or even an hour or two before, giving it time to sink in, it should be fine? I'm not sure, so I'll be checking back for more opinions on this :)

DMARTINEZ
April 2nd, 2010, 09:02 PM
I oil over cones ALL the time. No biggy. :)

NuclearMosquito
April 2nd, 2010, 09:19 PM
I too use a conditioner with cones on occasion, and still oil my hair (coconut oil to be specific). I've never noticed it 'sitting' any differently on my hair after I've used cones as opposed to using a non-cone conditioner.

deviantkitten
April 3rd, 2010, 02:56 AM
I use cones, and oil. My cones are in my poo and condish. I oil my hair the day/night before wash day. Works great for me. My ends are better than ever
I will, however, be switching, or at least trying out, poo bars soon. I have ordered one off of Etsy, so I am eager to try it out.
I say go for it. I am sure there allot of us who oil and use cones

Gothic Lolita
April 3rd, 2010, 02:59 AM
When you oil your length as a pre-wash treatment and shampoo only your roots, a bit should stay on your length. The cones should seal them in. But after some time of using cones I'd still wash my length with an SLS shampoo without cones, moisturizse heavily and then go back using the coney conditioner jsu to nesure that the hair stays moist.

elina333
April 3rd, 2010, 03:22 AM
I use schampoo and conditioner with cones but have stopped using everything else (like leave-ins etc) and now only use coconut oil. My hair loves it and has imrpoved GREATLY! But I've always wondered if the oil can really penetrate after I've used cones in the shower :hmm: But it seems to be working so what the heck ;)

ChloeDharma
April 3rd, 2010, 04:50 AM
I was exclusively CO washing often with coney conditioners and heavily oiling my hair most days for quite a long time. The oil penetrated when i did just past light oilings where you need to leave it overnight to sink in and not look greasy, and over time my condition improved alot so i'd say not to worry about it too much.
That said, i also tended to do a vinegar rinse at the end of a wash which helps remove any residue left from products used that time, so it might have helped keep my hair from being too coated in cones.

my2cats1
April 3rd, 2010, 05:10 AM
Keep in mind that the cones today are not the cones from yesterday. The newer cones are more permeable and evaporate. So you can always look for a conditioner without (or less of) the heavier silicones.
I found this in a book by Philip Kingsley:

"The original silicones, dimethicone being one, were heavy and difficult to remove....proved unsuccesful in the long term. The modern silicones are the volitile ones (those that slowly evaporate) which can be excellent emollients, softeners and protectors. The link between most of them is Methicone, but each has different characterisitcs.

The emollients include Dimethicone, Dimethiconol, Phenyl Dimethicone, Phenyl Trimethicone, Phenylpropyl Dimethicone and Cyclopentasiloxane-Dimethicone.

Volitile silicones include Cyclomethicone (most commonly used), Phenylpropyl Dimethicone and Cyclopentasilaxane."

The book was written in 2003, so I image that the number of volitile silicones might be longer now.

I've noticed that Dimethicone is not in every conditioner (or it is further down in the ingredient list, after other silicones) but leave-in serums are almost always Dimethicone. (Just from what I've noticed so far.)

Hope this helps. :thumbsup:

Sunny_side_up
April 3rd, 2010, 07:15 AM
After covering my hair in conditioner the ends always get some coconut oil, partly the smell which i adore and the hair feels protected with a coating of oil:) Holding off from trimming for a bit

Forever_Sophie
April 3rd, 2010, 07:22 AM
I used to wonder this so often! I realized there's no cutting cones from my routine, so I oil (coconut, jojoba, for the most part) over 'cones from my conditioner and they work just fine :)

C_Bookworm
April 3rd, 2010, 07:30 AM
From what i understand, both oiling and cones don't add moisture, they provide a coating to lock in moisture. So you basically would be doing the same thing twice. I don't know that it would be bad, just not effective.

HintOfMint
April 4th, 2010, 12:09 AM
To C_Bookworm: I'm with you on your skepticism. Although, I heard that coconut oil actually penetrates the hair and prevents protein loss. So it would be fairly beneficial to use coconut oil, let it sink in, and then use 'cones for their finish. As much as it grieves me to admit it, nothing makes my hair shine like a heavy dose of that liquid plastic.

One of the posters said that oiling before adding a coney serum means that the serum slides off your hair more easily when you wash it because it is not "bonded," for lack of a better term, to your hair.
I have a few questions about this.
1. If you oil and then use a coney serum, is the finish the same as when you just use the serum?
2. If you oil and then use the serum, and if it does slide off more easily because of the oil, does that mean you don't need to use SLS to wash it off?

ETA: While I am inclined to think that using both oil and cones to seal in moisture is overkill, as they do the same thing, maybe if the oil prevents the cones from sticking to the hair, you get the same look as you do with silicone without the buildup and saving you from using SLS unnecessarily. Is this the line of reasoning? I personally love what cones do to my hair and I can never get the same results with oil. I hate what SLS does to my hair and scalp, so I tend to use cones sparingly. If I can use cones without having to use SLS, that would just be wonderful.

Aditi
April 4th, 2010, 12:25 AM
Usually i apply oil 2-3 hours before my hair wash, that gives enough time to sink in and makes my hair soft and silky.

Toadstool
July 7th, 2010, 01:18 PM
If you use conditioner with cones in, does it prevent your hair from absorbing oils or will using oil still work?

spidermom
July 7th, 2010, 02:05 PM
I can't say absolutely for certain, but it is my understanding that most of the cones used in conditioner are there to make it easier to deal with wet hair and that they evaporate as the hair dries.

I use both coconut oil and a coney serum, and I think I get benefit from both. As far as I can tell, one does not interfere with the other.

amaiaisabella
July 7th, 2010, 02:11 PM
I think it depends as well. If you haven't clarified in a while, and you use cones consistently, then I imagine your hair would be pretty coated. FOR ME, I can't oil on top of that. But right after washing/clarifying, or if I only use cones every few washes, I don't have problems.

Anje
July 7th, 2010, 02:23 PM
Well, cyclomethicone and cyclopentasiloxane evaporate, but cones like dimethicone, dimethiconol, and amodimethicone don't to my knowledge. I really couldn't tell you whether oils penetrate them or not, though my instinct says that oils probably get to the hair around the silicones but can't go through a layer of it, so it would depend on how thick the coating is. I may be completely wrong.

If oil over silicone makes your hair handle better, go for it. If the oil doesn't seem to absorb though, I'd be inclined to blame the silicones.

Gnomentum
July 7th, 2010, 02:24 PM
I found coconut oil made my hair greasy over cones, but not over a no-cone conditioner. Then again, three out of every four washes were CO, so YMMV.

haibane
July 7th, 2010, 03:09 PM
I use dimethicone every few washes and olive oil seems to get absorbed through that. I put on just a tiny bit of oil and after an hour or so the hair no longer feels greasy or oily at all, so I guess it's getting absorbed.

But it also seems the oil dissolves the cone somewhat, so it washes out faster, so maybe there is some sort of interaction going on between them.

Toadstool
July 7th, 2010, 03:13 PM
Thanks all, I do hope I can still use oils. am using cones because I've bleached my hair and it needs them but it also needs MUCH oil!:)

Spring
July 7th, 2010, 03:49 PM
I notice a difference when using cone conditioners. Usually for me it takes more oil and my hair still has a dry feeling to it. So I'm thinking on my hair, the oil sits on top... not really penetrating as well when I'm using cones.

spidermom
July 7th, 2010, 04:02 PM
I use non-cone shampoo and conditioner twice per week, CHI Silk Infusion once per week after washing. I oil generously the day before washing, sometimes a dab after washing, although I don't like how oil attracts dust and lint. Cones don't.

My hair is in the best condition of my life.

jane53
July 7th, 2010, 04:06 PM
I'm virtually always cone-free and coconut oil does NOT penetrate my hair. It just makes it greasy and stringy.

teela1978
July 7th, 2010, 04:19 PM
Oil gets through cones fine for me. I usually do a deep pre-wash oiling every couple of weeks and my ends definitely looks better after.

Bluegrass Babe
July 7th, 2010, 08:42 PM
I definitely agree with spidermom - I use both and have no problems (except for lint).

If you are worried about it I suggest a clarifying shampoo to start with super clean hair.
From there just oil your hair overnight before shampooing/conditioning with cones.
Problem solved. You get both benefits!

You can clarify again whenever you feel the oil isn't working - if that happens, that is.

Sunsailing
July 8th, 2010, 03:17 AM
The people at the GM salon that I sometimes go to are not supporters of oil for hair. They say that oils are not actually absorbed into the hair shaft, but rather just build up on the surface (which can cause issues on some hair types).

So do cones cause oils to sit above the cones?
Or can the oils penetrate the cones to be the first layer on the hair shaft?
Does it matter which is the top coating?

Spring
July 8th, 2010, 10:54 AM
I use non-cone shampoo and conditioner twice per week, CHI Silk Infusion once per week after washing. I oil generously the day before washing, sometimes a dab after washing, although I don't like how oil attracts dust and lint. Cones don't.

My hair is in the best condition of my life.

Hi spidermom! I might give that a try. After not being on here for a while I noticed how beautiful your hemline is :)

Charlotte:)
July 8th, 2010, 11:12 AM
The cones should rinse out with your shampoo/conditioner. It's the non-cone shampoos I would worry about since they just build up in your hair and never rinse aout (at least in my experience).

spidermom
July 8th, 2010, 11:12 AM
The people at the GM salon that I sometimes go to are not supporters of oil for hair. They say that oils are not actually absorbed into the hair shaft, but rather just build up on the surface (which can cause issues on some hair types).

They aren't right. Scientific studies prove that some oils do penetrate most if not all hair, most particularly coconut oil.

SpinDance
July 8th, 2010, 11:36 AM
I mix and match, so sometimes use cones and sometimes not. For months now I have been using various oils, with very good effect, both as deep pre-wash conditioning treatments and also as very lightly applied after-wash leave in. However, some oils work for me, soaking in and making my hair feel great, while others, most notably olive oil, just sit on top, oily, lank and nasty. Everyone is different so you will only know what works for you, with your hair a this time, by trying things out.

After months of using oils I now consistently get good results where early on I had very mixed results. It seems like I've managed to get some sort of critical mass of oil into my hair shafts, and now it is wonderful, where early on it just couldn't get enough to feel good.

Toadstool
July 8th, 2010, 11:48 AM
I'm just confused because I would never wash my hair without conditioning it so it would always have cones on it when I oiled it unless I oiled it in the shower!

hmmm
July 8th, 2010, 12:37 PM
I've used both, and I could tell the difference if I stopped oiling. Pre-wash oiling definitely helps, even though I wasn't oiling between washes. But then, I use a lot more oil than most people do.

Laylah
July 8th, 2010, 01:19 PM
I've used both for years and I definitely notice a difference if I go without oil...so I'm pretty sure it works.

Toadstool
July 8th, 2010, 01:28 PM
Oh good. Thank you.

Bluegrass Babe
July 8th, 2010, 02:44 PM
Sunsailing -
Spidermom is correct and the salon is WRONG!
Disappointing, I would have expected better of a GM salon.:(

toadstool -
If you are that worried about the issue, start off with a clarifying shampoo - no conditioner and no other products either. Your hair probably will not like it. Mine is unruly and dries funky/weird. It doesn't feel good to the touch either.
You may want to do it over the weekend or when you don't need to work the next day.:p
But after a good overnight soaking of the penetrating oil of your choice and another wash with the products you normally use, including leave-in's etc... your hair will be much softer and shinier. This forum has never steered me in wrong direction. ;)

Here are some links:
The first is a quick handy reference to which penetrate the hair shaft and which do not (this is based on scientific research, I don't know why GM doesn't know this!) The other two are more in depth.
http://www.longhaircommunity.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10971

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=25

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=66

Katze
July 9th, 2010, 05:22 AM
I think it does.

I use 'cones (Dove) every second or third wash - so every 10-30 days, depending.

I also regularly use coconut oil and leave-in, especially on my curlier undercanopy. It really does seem to make a difference - especially Fox's Cream (shea, coconut, conditioner) which works REALLY well on both my mixed type wavy hair and DH's fine, APL length almost-curly hair.

hth!

squiggyflop
July 9th, 2010, 11:46 AM
i oiled my cone laden hair HEAVILY yesterday.. and i mean heavily.. my coconut oil turned into liquid and i literally dipped my hair in it.. i then washed it as i usually do about a half hour later.. and i had the best hairday in like 3 months because of it.. so i think it works

haibane
July 9th, 2010, 12:00 PM
I did a heavy oliling with olive oil last night before CO washing, and it seems to have pretty much completely dissolved the dimethicone in my hair. So much so I wonder if that could be an alternative to using SLS for getting it out.

virgo75
July 9th, 2010, 12:14 PM
The only difference I've experienced is that a coney leave-in may make it take longer for the oil to absorb in my hair.

Rinse outs make no difference in oil absorption for me. :shrug:

archionblu
October 26th, 2010, 04:03 PM
Hey y'all,
I just started using cones again after a couple months without and my hair is rejoicing! I do have one quick question though: Will oiling your hair do anything if you are using cones, or do you have to clarify first for it to have any effect. I didn't start the practice of oiling until I joined LHC, which is also the time I stopped using cone shampoos, so I have no idea.

spidermom
October 26th, 2010, 04:05 PM
I use both and benefit from both.

I almost always do a generous hair oiling the day before I plan to wash it, and it leaves my hair so much more managable and silky than when I skip the oiling.

I only use a coney serum on the bottom half of my length once per week. It helps so much with the tangles; I love the stuff.

When I blow-dry, I use a small amount of coconut oil on the bottom half of my length followed by my coney serum. Beautiful results!

archionblu
October 26th, 2010, 04:46 PM
Thanks a ton! I was hoping for a quick reply since I need to do a wash tonight--thanks for your swiftness :)