PDA

View Full Version : *Sigh* Asked for a dusting, and lost 1 1/2 inches!

andrea1982
March 19th, 2009, 06:47 PM
:doh:So.. I was planning to wait for a couple more months to trim, but tomorrow is the spring equinox (According to the Morrocco method it's a great time to trim), and my ends were feeling a bit scraggly. I really like the look of blunt healthy hemline, so I decided to book into a stylist for a dusting today. She was recommended to me by a friend, and I thought "I'll just be really clear about what I want, and just get a dusting... what could it hurt?" Well, when I got there, the stylist sat down beside me, and asked me what I wanted. I saw this as a good sign because she did this before I even got close to my hair. I said "I'm growing my hair out, so I would just like the "tippy tips off, just a dusting please". While I was saying this, I had my two fingers held up with a space of less than a quarter of an inch between them. She smilled and nodded, said okay, and led me to the shampoo chair. I got the impression that she understood me perfectly, so I didn't harp further. Well, although she didn't try to talk me into layers or thinning or razors (which I have most stylists do) she took off a good inch and a half! Most of the pieces of hair on the floor were about that length, I haven't had the courage to mesure yet. Why can't I find someone that will dust??!! If I could , I would gladly get my hair dusted every 2-3 months, and pay and tip accordingly. Now, I'm thinking of going no trimming for a year so I can at least get some length! I wish I could self trim, but my hair is so thick I can't!

ARGHHHHHHHHH! So frustrating!

Soo, does anyone know a stylist in the Kelowna B.C. or Spokane washington area that are long hair friendly? I haven't seen any on the list..

spidermom
March 19th, 2009, 07:00 PM
Geez; she must have thought you meant you wanted 2 fingers worth of length cut off - who knows? I'm sorry your trim turned out to be a hair cut instead, and I wish you an impressive growth spurt to make up for it.

Katahdin
March 19th, 2009, 07:05 PM
If you're familiar with the Kelowna area, there's a hair salon called Tuscany's on K.L.O. road across from Mission Park. It's a brownish sort of building that also has a medical clinic and a sewing supplies shop. I only went there once since I've learned to self trim, but the lady who cut my hair was called Kay (or Kae, I have no idea how it's spelled). She was very nice and cut about an inch exactly, which was what I had showed her by putting my finger against the ends of my hair.

She gave me a fantastic U-shape, I've never had a better one. >>>http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=1719&pictureid=20496

manderly
March 19th, 2009, 08:56 PM
Bummer.

But you can always dust your own hair ;)

Omens
March 19th, 2009, 09:13 PM
How about having a family member or friend trim it next time? I usually have someone else do it if I feel like I might do it unevenly on my own.

I'm sorry you had a bad experience...the horrors of hair cuts make me never want to face the sheers again! I keep hearing all these bad stories, and that combined with having not-so-great 'trims' the last few times I went, makes me think that it's not even worth it unless you're looking to get it hacked off.... I know they aren't all bad, but I'm no longer taking chances.

Best thing to do is find a friend or something that loves long hair. You can pretty much count on hardly losing any hair at all. And generally, most people can do a straight trim without a problem, even if they never have before.

andrea1982
March 19th, 2009, 09:24 PM
Thanks for all the kind words! Katahdin, your hemline is awesome, I'll definitely check that place out next time I'm in Kelowna. Manderly, I'd love to be able to dust my own hair, but I wouldn't even know where to start! I can do S&D's. I've looked at Feye's self trim directions, and when I try to grab my ends between my fingers, it's just to much hair, I don't know how I would get it even. Do you have any techniques? Anyway, I think I'm going to promise my self to wait at least 6 months before I even think about trimming again, and then I'll teach my husband how to do it. He's never cut hair before, but he's very careful and particular about other things, and at least he knows how much I want to grow my hair out.

On the bright side, at least almost all of my old highlights are gone.. maybe that's why she took a little more..

manderly
March 19th, 2009, 09:28 PM
Try Feye's with your hair wet and conditioned :)

It helps make mine FLAT and hold still. I've got waves so that is difficult to trim straight when dry.

Cereus
March 19th, 2009, 09:31 PM
I couldn't self trim my hair until it got to at least BSL. I couldn't get a hold of it properly. Now that your hair has been given a serious trim you can probably wait quite a while before it will really need another.

andrea1982
March 19th, 2009, 09:32 PM
Thanks I'll give that a try!

LadyLongLocks
March 19th, 2009, 10:00 PM
Somehow "dusting" and "salon" clash!! Sorry you had that happen! :( I know how you feel. Once I got 8" cut when I wanted 3" but that was from a family member. I now trim my own hair and hopefully you can too, or get a trusted friend to help.

:) Or... look at this product that helps you trim your own hair! It looks kind of neat.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02aQhJAF4Do

andrea1982
March 20th, 2009, 03:31 AM
Somehow "dusting" and "salon" clash!! Sorry you had that happen! :( I know how you feel. Once I got 8" cut when I wanted 3" but that was from a family member. I now trim my own hair and hopefully you can too, or get a trusted friend to help.

:) Or... look at this product that helps you trim your own hair! It looks kind of neat.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02aQhJAF4Do

Yikes, 8 inches! That's awful :(

Thanks so much for the link, I am so going to buy one of these..

Isilme
March 20th, 2009, 04:52 AM
bring a ruler next time and if you want an inch off, show half an inch. Seems like hairdressers often fail at basic math since many (not all) cann't see the difference between an inch and half an inch;) Easier with a ruler.

LadyLongLocks
March 20th, 2009, 08:18 AM
Yikes, 8 inches! That's awful :(

Thanks so much for the link, I am so going to buy one of these..

You are so welcome! I really hope it works for you. If you can't do it yourself, at least you can control what a friend cuts. Do let me know the results :)
I don't usually recommend things I have not tried myself. I wonder if anyone here has tried this.

It looks like it would be easy and accurate.

andrea1982
March 20th, 2009, 08:27 AM
They have the instructional videos right on the site, and one of the models is an Asian lady with really thick hair, and all of her hair fit in the device, and the cut took less than a minute. And for 29.99, you cant really loose . I paid more than that for my "trim" yesterday.

I've never seen it mentioned around here though, and I would like to hear if anyone's tried it. I think I'll go do a forum search, and then if I don' find anything I'll post a thread in the conventional products forum.

By the way ladylonglocks, your hair is phenomenal!

andrea1982
March 20th, 2009, 08:40 AM
Ahh, there was a thread

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=17434&highlight=creaclip&page=3

Looks like Paper used it with success cutting her bangs, and there is a link to reviews from another site. They are mixed.

LadyLongLocks
March 21st, 2009, 09:56 AM
Ahh, there was a thread

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=17434&highlight=creaclip&page=3

Looks like Paper used it with success cutting her bangs, and there is a link to reviews from another site. They are mixed.

Okay, I read that thread. I agree that it is a little expensive. But if it works good it's worth it.
Hope you take before and after pics :) but sounds like it won't be for a while since you just had a good trim. It's great to be in total control of your own hair trimming! I trim my own and I love it!

neon-dream
March 21st, 2009, 10:00 AM
What do you mean it's too thick to self trim? =/