PDA

View Full Version : I want buns but they pull :/

intothemist1999
April 1st, 2008, 02:45 PM
I keep trying to do buns (with hairsticks). Some hold better than others, but most pull on a just a few hairs, and really hurt. I usually pull them out after half an hour.

If I try to pull those hairs to loosen them, it usually results in OTHER hairs taking up the weight, or in the whole thing becoming too loose to trust.

What am I doing wrong :confused:

lora410
April 1st, 2008, 02:49 PM
Probably grabbing to much scalp hair? When mine pull I simply take the stick a little out, or wiggle the bun with the stick in it to loosen it up. Why not do a sock bun?

intothemist1999
April 1st, 2008, 02:54 PM
Probably grabbing to much scalp hair? When mine pull I simply take the stick a little out, or wiggle the bun with the stick in it to loosen it up. Why not do a sock bun?

Ah, alright, I'll see if that's the problem.

SOCK BUN!! There are so many ideas in TLHC that I forget about some of the ones I've already seen, like the sock bun! I have actually experiemented with it a couple of times and like the look, but didn't go beyond that. Thanks for the reminder!! :)

lora410
April 1st, 2008, 02:58 PM
Your welcome! I love the sock bun! If your hair keeps pulling try lowering or rising the bun more up and see if that helps.Also you can try a fork. I noticed the hair fork doesn't pull; you can just stab in right under the bun and voilà.

Nightshade
April 1st, 2008, 03:44 PM
What "hours" are your sticks at? A friend of mine was having massive pulling because her sticks went in at 11 o'clock and 1 o'clock, but when she spaced them out to 10 and 2 there was a much better hold.

heidi w.
April 1st, 2008, 03:47 PM
I label this a 'chinese' hair stick bun. Others might refer to it as figure 8, but I'm not sure it's the same.

I believe this bun could be done with BSL to longer hair. Certainly waist length will work.

Take the hair up into a ponytail (consider a side part as opposed to drawing all the hair back).

Braid all the length.

Then with your left hand, take up the braided ponytail as close as you can to the scalp, fairly firmly close. You do not want the hair to be loose.

Hold with the palm the sky.

Then, your elbow will be bent.

Then with your right hand, draw the braided length through the hole your bent elbow makes. It'll be under your forearm, and above your tricep, next to the neck.

THEN draw the braid length over your fisted hand. This creates one loop side.

THEN pull the braid through that loop, so you create the other loop side. Do NOT draw too much braid length through. As little as possible and then put a stick in from the right side, through to the left side.

This is key:
The stick fits over the top of the loop on the right side, yet UNDER the center portion of thickness, fairly close to the scalp, and then out again on the left side, over the top of the loop. Because the two loops on either side are being compressed down, this creates tension with the middle section of hair being on top of the stick length (if you imagine what it looks like inside and where the stick goes through).

Some folks will have hair length still hanging down. This length I simply spiral around the perimeter of the bun already formed, somewhat tightly (not too lose or this too can fall away) and I insert one long bobbypin on the underside so it won't be as likely to give in to gravity. I tuck the bobbypin under some hair to hide this pin. I also use a hairpin (I have long hairpins too, which are those u-shaped pins that are not bobbypins of any kind) on the topside of this swirled around hair.

If you like, and want it more Asian-ish looking, put yet another stick through on the opposite side, yet over the end of the former stick to hide the pointed end of the first stick and make it appear as though you snapped the center together. For this look, I sometimes like to have 2 of the same sticks. I happen to have 2 metal sticks that are a flat metal and slide easily through the hair yet on the end, the decorative element is a big circle with a nice design inside the circle of metal.

This is the easiest way I can describe it.

Basically you're creating 2 loops in an organized knot format that the stick holds the knot you create with looping of hair. With a bit of practice you'll find the right fit. You will readily notice that if you don't get close enough to the scalp when you first hold the braided ponytail, before the first loop is formed, you will have a sliding bun. You will also notice that if you draw too much hair through for the second loop, you will have a saggy bun. Some are able to do this form with unbraided hair that is merely twisting the length and so wrapping, but my hair won't hold if I don't braid the hair first.

In general, hair sticks do not hold my very slippery hair. Only in buns that have organized knots that are created via folding or loop mechanisms, will the single stick hold my hair.

I can get my hair in a Bees Butt Bun which is another simple stick hair updo.

These 2 styles are great because they're simple, quick and effective, especially for hair emergencies such as suddenly you're walking in the wind and need to put it up. (I carry a little emergency kit in my glove box of my car and a few meager supplies in my purse/bakpak.) I also like this chinese hair style updo because it can also be greatly dressed up for a more official, stylish look somewhere public when you need to look sleek and chic.

Hope this helps,
heidi w.

Tapioca
April 1st, 2008, 04:35 PM
I find that buns held with thin metal sticks pull less. The thinner the diameter of the stick, the better for me.

frizzinator
April 1st, 2008, 05:26 PM
Sometimes making the bun just a bit more loose might help.

Also, it may be the type of bun that makes the difference. These buns do not pull on me when held with a hairstick: the inside-out bun, the cool and comfy bun, the gibralter bun, the equalibrium bun, and the chinese bun. It could be that these buns do not rely too much on scalp hair to be anchored.

When my hair reached 30" I could also hold the figure 8 and infinity bun with a thick stick.

Gumball
April 2nd, 2008, 09:20 AM
I think it's just practice. Mine still pull sometimes and I use sticks fairly regularly. If it ends up pulling I sometimes try to wiggle it a little and reinsert the stick. Sometimes I'll redo the bun entirely. There are a few occasions where it will get too frustrating and I'll do something else, but at least the effort was put out! Good luck and I hope you find a way to make them pull less!

atlantaz3
April 2nd, 2008, 09:35 AM
I have the same problem some days I just can't wear my hair up. I just tried hair forks or combs and for the moment combs are working better than sticks. Maybe the weight of the hair being spread across three or four prongs lessens the tension? Also for me I think it's a matter of just getting used to wearing my hair up more often - start out with what is comfortable but experiment to find out what works. There are so many hair toy options and bun options ....

spidermom
April 2nd, 2008, 09:48 AM
Practice different buns and different ways of securing them when you're sitting around watching a movie or television or something. That's what I've been doing. You might want to check a thread called "Waist+ quick/easy". I got a lot of helpful suggestions that would probably benefit you as well.

Anje
April 2nd, 2008, 10:16 AM
I'm with Nightshade on this one. When I have a more vertical stick, it tends to lead to far worse pulling than a stick that is more diagonal or horizontal.

Aisha25
April 2nd, 2008, 10:34 AM
I am the same,everytime I put a bun in my hair it falls or too heavy or couple of stands are pulled..So I am trying to do this bun but for some reason I can't do it,maybe it'll help you.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qrA0V1lsmys&feature=related

sapphire-o
April 2nd, 2008, 08:17 PM
I guess it's different for everybody. If I twist my bun very tightly then the hairsticks hold securely and pull less. Loose buns nearly always pull in some ways.

HairColoredHair
April 2nd, 2008, 08:25 PM
I do my buns very tightly... it's the only way it won't pull... Putting in one stick or two in the same direction could help too... the cross-over sometimes caused pulling in my hair.

spidermom
April 2nd, 2008, 08:52 PM
I am the same,everytime I put a bun in my hair it falls or too heavy or couple of stands are pulled..So I am trying to do this bun but for some reason I can't do it,maybe it'll help you.

Woot! I can do a version of that - a much, much smaller version. But a version nonetheless. Thanks.

intothemist1999
April 2nd, 2008, 08:59 PM

Cool! My hair isn't long enough to do those flips over the roll, but it give me an idea to work with, which I'll try when my hair is dry. :flower:

Aisha25
April 5th, 2008, 02:21 PM
Your welcome..Tell me was it easy for you guys to figure out?Everytime I try it my flops out and down.And doesnt she just have the most beautiful thick black hair,I wish I wish:cloud9:.

k_hepburn
April 5th, 2008, 03:37 PM
I find it helps if the weight of the bun is distributed over two or three sturdy u-shaped hair pins, like Amish pins for example. Since the legs of the pins are still quite thin (in comparison to wooden hair sticks or forks) there is no problem about "stacking" them. If you still wanted to use a hair stick or fork for decoration, you could then insert it into the resulting bun straight through, without catching scalp hair.

Greetings

katharine

embee
April 5th, 2008, 03:54 PM
I agree with tight buns being more comfortable. One way that helps me is to make a pony first, with an elastic. Then the stick has something to hold on to besides a few hairs!