PDA

View Full Version : Npr Article Re Shampooning Too Frequently

heidi w.
March 19th, 2009, 07:32 AM
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=102062969

Think someone has been visiting our board?????

heidi w.

Themyst
March 19th, 2009, 08:05 AM
I was suspicious of that when I read Pantene Pro-V was coming out with Nature Fusion (with cassia!)

I bet their idea people do sit around and surf the web for ideas.

zen_oven
March 19th, 2009, 08:06 AM
Ah, you beat me to it! There are a couple of other articles on NPR.com about hair today as well:

A Hair Mystery: Curly Hair Gone Straight (http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=102074149)
Engineering a Good Hair Day (http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=102067582)

Apparently there is also a webchat (http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=102053050) today at Noon EST, if any long hairs are interested in participating.

Fun fun!

embee
March 19th, 2009, 08:24 AM
Hee hee hee! Let's hear it for the once a month shampooers! :) That's what an updo is made for, in my book.

Christina
March 19th, 2009, 08:33 AM
ah, I <3 NPR...:p
The stories always seem pretty well researched and from a neutral point of view. I like that.

Eireann
March 19th, 2009, 08:38 AM
I would love to shampoo less, but I swim in the mornings 3 to 4 times a week, and my hair gets soaked with chlorinated water even if I'm wearing a swim cap. I feel as though I have to wash the chlorine out. I read here a little while back that one of our members swam every day, and only did CO and it worked fine for her. . . but I just don't know what's worse, the chlorine or the excessive shampoo! I can't give up swimming. It's the only thing that keeps me sane!

Pixna
March 19th, 2009, 09:01 AM
Great articles!!! Thank you, Heidi and Zen Oven, for posting them! I found the one on changing hair textures really interesting, as I have discovered that as I get older, my hair is actually getting straighter. I thought it was weird or maybe something I was just imagining, but after reading this article, I feel reassured. The point about hormones (or perhaps lack of them, in some instances) seems to make perfect sense, at least in my case.

amaiaisabella
March 19th, 2009, 09:12 AM
Really interesting article- it's almost like when you stop eating, your body stores the fat the way the scalp would store the sebum :) Pretty cool!

PrliamntofRooks
March 19th, 2009, 09:41 AM
great articles.

birthmarkie
March 19th, 2009, 09:48 AM
Thanks heidi!

kdaniels8811
March 19th, 2009, 09:52 AM
Thanks for posting the article! My friends/family think it is REALLY WEIRD that I wash my hair once a week - down from daily washes. My hair is so much healthier - and growing! Nice to see an article supporting that method.

mira-chan
March 19th, 2009, 10:20 AM
In chat, I wonder if they'll actually answer my questions or they'll disappear to no where via censorship. :ponder:
Kdaniels, I wash my hair once a week as a standard, you're not weird at all. I don't know how people find the time to wash and dry hair every day but then I'm lazy. :D

gibsongirl71
March 19th, 2009, 10:33 AM
I wash mine every other day. I have tried to go longer but I have very oily skin and hair. I wish I could go longer between washes.

Honey39
March 19th, 2009, 10:39 AM
I've found giving up shampoo more or less to be the BEST thing I've done for my hair! When I occasionally do shampoo my hair to clarify, I hate the way my hair feels tangled and rough, washing with conditioner is just lovely by comparison!

I think though - after being here for about nine months - it's all about your hair type and what works for you, rather than there being 'rights' and 'wrongs'. But I was out today in the spring sun, and for the first time ever I realised that my hair was gleaming in the sunshine - my hair NEVER normally shines, but a combination of no shampoo/conditioner-only, no hair drier and lots of oil etc has made my hair much better moisturised and conditioned!

Interesting article!

templeofvenus
March 19th, 2009, 10:44 AM
I wash mine every other day. I have tried to go longer but I have very oily skin and hair. I wish I could go longer between washes.

Me too in summer I wash it daily but I just shampoo the crown and don't rub it into the ends, it hasn't seemed to damage my hair in the past! what works for some doesn't work for others I guess, but I would love to not have to wash it as often, I tried stretching it out but it looks terible! maybe when its long and I can braid it then I could skip days, I will have to wait and see :)

VLoving
March 19th, 2009, 03:10 PM
I just stumbled across this article from NPR…I thought it was pretty cool and just had to share… ENJOY! J

amberdakota
March 19th, 2009, 03:10 PM
I just saw this article too...pretty cool!

kwaniesiam
March 19th, 2009, 10:15 PM

Just saw this. Commence discussion ;)

Heavenly Locks
March 19th, 2009, 10:20 PM
Your link takes me to a weird html looking page?

kwaniesiam
March 19th, 2009, 10:22 PM
Your link takes me to a weird html looking page?

Try refreshing, it did that to me the first time but then it worked :shrug:

Heavenly Locks
March 19th, 2009, 10:25 PM
Ah the second time I clicked it worked! :)

When I was done reading I thought "Gee, sounds like the author has been reading up at LHC!"

EvaSimone
March 19th, 2009, 11:20 PM
I was cringing when the author recounted the story of the lady who washed her hair with baking soda a few times a week. Baking soda is way too clarifying to be used that often. :scared: I wonder if that's why she developed dandruff?

I also lol'ed at the coed who said her hair was greasy every day... I didn't know what truly greasy hair felt like before LHC and for some reason I don't think that girl knows what greasy hair feels like either. :hmm:

kwaniesiam
March 19th, 2009, 11:24 PM
I was cringing when the author recounted the story of the lady who washed her hair with baking soda a few times a week. Baking soda is way too clarifying to be used that often. :scared: I wonder if that's why she developed dandruff?

I also lol'ed at the coed who said he hair was greasy every day... I didn't know what truly greasy hair felt like before LHC and for some reason I don't think that girl knows what greasy hair feels like either. :hmm:

I noticed a few things did sound off, but hey its a start ;)

I'm one of the sort that does wash daily, but with either CO or a shampoo bar. The baking soda that often probably would cause scalp issues, even with the ACV to counteract it.

lizzyjo
March 19th, 2009, 11:26 PM
Wow, what a great article! It didn't make us sound like granola-smoking, dumpster-diving, smelly hippies (not that there's anything wrong with that). I loved how they blamed the media for the current obsession with cleanliness. Finally, an article written from our point of view!

EvaSimone
March 19th, 2009, 11:32 PM
I noticed a few things did sound off, but hey its a start ;)

I'm one of the sort that does wash daily, but with either CO or a shampoo bar. The baking soda that often probably would cause scalp issues, even with the ACV to counteract it.

I totally agree it definitely is a start but it's funny when none of it sounds that crazy to me. I know that pre LHC I would have been like, *gasp* "alternatives to shampoo?!!? What craziness!"

I still think that once a month shampooing is a bit extreme... eh well give me a few more years on LHC and who knows? :p;)

Hypnotica
March 19th, 2009, 11:35 PM

I have user bs as poo several times a week over a longer time without any scalp issues. Different folks, different strokes.

EvaSimone
March 19th, 2009, 11:37 PM
I have user bs as poo several times a week over a longer time without any scalp issues. Different folks, different strokes.

I guess so. I'd always heard that it was good for clarifying but not for long term washing. Of course I'd never experimented with it so I guess it truly is different strokes for different folks. :agree:

Hypnotica
March 20th, 2009, 03:29 AM
I guess so. I'd always heard that it was good for clarifying but not for long term washing. Of course I'd never experimented with it so I guess it truly is different strokes for different folks. :agree:

There is a loooooooooooong thread on a Swedish forum about baking soda washes, but they are also using ACV as rinse afterwards, so that should prevent scalp issues.

It seems that people are getting more open to "unconventional" haircare, which is really fun. It could be that the economy is in ressesion right now and money is thighter.

heidi w.
March 20th, 2009, 07:37 AM
The article points out that a lot of people go no -poo in order to circumvent all the plastic and issues that presents to the environment......

heidi w.

aries
March 20th, 2009, 07:45 AM
I read this article with my hubby last night. Thought the same things that have been posted so far lol. The baking soda and vinegar only kinda got me thinking but other than that we just laughed and talked about how they probably visit the sites. Agreed on the research as well heidi w. I am sure they did their research.

Haven't heard of the Pantene with Hemp but try to not use Pantene anyway so pay no attention to it.

Pixna
March 20th, 2009, 08:33 AM
Wow, what a great article! It didn't make us sound like granola-smoking, dumpster-diving, smelly hippies (not that there's anything wrong with that).

Hey, Lizzyjo -- have you been spying on me??? :p

jewelotn
March 20th, 2009, 08:35 AM

Yup!

Several weeks ago, I went from SLS S/C to BS + ACV. I'd like to be able to wash every 3 days (currently going every other day) but haven't built up the courage to face possible greasies.

Anywho, I haven't experienced any scalp issues. If anything, the dandruff or whatever white stuff that kept falling onto my shoulders has diminished. :)

Les
March 20th, 2009, 12:09 PM
NPR had a story yesterday about the virtues of reduced shampooing. It even says "no-poo" at one point. This isn't exactly new news to most of us here, but it is good to see that others are starting to catch on.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=102062969&ft=1&f=1001

Eireann
March 20th, 2009, 01:16 PM
I'm amused by the comments. It's one thing if you don't agree, or if you prefer to wash your hair more often, but some of the commentors seem so outraged at the thought! I guess the shampoo companies' marketing dollars were well spent. :D

IndigoInk
March 20th, 2009, 02:19 PM
that really was an interesting article. I adore NPR :) I love that more people are realizing that daily shampooing can be excessive.

I agree with the poster (here) who said she didn't think those girls know what truly greasy hair is. Ah the power of marketing :)

florenonite
March 21st, 2009, 08:25 AM
I'm amused by the comments. It's one thing if you don't agree, or if you prefer to wash your hair more often, but some of the commentors seem so outraged at the thought! I guess the shampoo companies' marketing dollars were well spent. :D

I agree. It's one thing to like your hair feeling very clean if that's what you prefer, it's another to think it's revolting for someone else to prefer their hair when it's a bit greasy (I like my hair best on day 2 or 3 because it's not so fluffy then :p). And, yes, it's probably in part due to shampoo companies' marketing that makes some people (though by no means all) think that they need their hair to be fluffy to not be revolting.

I also lol'ed at the coed who said her hair was greasy every day... I didn't know what truly greasy hair felt like before LHC and for some reason I don't think that girl knows what greasy hair feels like either. :hmm:

Truly greasy hair looks wet when it's really dry :p. I have a friend who says her hair needs washed every other day otherwise "it gets so greasy I need to shampoo it twice to get it clean". My hair is always far greasier than hers when I wash it (hers still looks clean when she washes it!) and yet I only diluted shampoo once and manage to get the grease out!