PDA

View Full Version : Persistent Shedding- should I be worried?

Miss Hidley
March 19th, 2009, 05:41 AM
Ok so my hair has been growing along happily toward my goal, but the last week or so I have noticed I've been shedding out an awful lot more. I'm not bald or anything but I am slightly paranoid as I'm finally getting towards a reasonable length!. I read somewhere that if you are stressed, 2 months later you will shed a lot of hair, but I also thought it might be to do with a nutrient deficiency or maybe I am shedding a lot because its the end of winter like animals do(do humans do that??) Does any of these explanations sound likely to you?

HairyCarrie
March 19th, 2009, 06:34 AM
I noticed the past few days that I was shedding more than the typical amount I find in the shower drain. Now I am finding hairs here and there and it's unusual for me. I just starting growing length last July, so it's my first spring for paying attention to what's going on. Like you I'm hoping it's seasonal and hoping it stops soon!

Misha
March 19th, 2009, 07:42 AM
Hi Miss Hidley and HairyCarrie,

A while back I had concerns about shedding too. It was ongoing, for a few months if I remember correctly, and I was afraid that I would lose overall volume of my hair if it continued.

It did not continue (thank goodness!!!), and that problem never came back again. I attribute that to these things:

- I started to daily take a good multi vitamin, and a hair vitamin as well.
- I shampooed less, for me that meant instead of daily, I would just CO and shampoo a couple of times weekly.
- I stopped blow drying my hair straight daily (I know, I can't believe I used to do that either!) So in other words, I treated my hair and scalp better.

Applying LHC principles that agree with your scalp and hair will help (providing that it's not a result of a more serious health issue). Try taking a good multi vitamin, and look after your overall health.

HTH :)

jastark84
March 20th, 2009, 12:12 PM
I constantly shed small animals on wash days or when I'm combing it out before a wash day. I find that it's because my hair is curly, I don't brush it, and I usually always have it bunned or braided. I've never noticed a loss in thickness, so I guess my shedding is normal, but it oculd very well be seasonal for you, I wouldn't worry about it

Cantabile
March 21st, 2009, 03:57 AM
Increased shedding could be due to several things
-Nutrition - Are you eating enough? Vitamins?

-Stress - Stress can cause increased shedding, especially if you're not eat or sleeping well.

-Routine - Are you trying out a variety of new routines? Changes in your hair washing/handling routines could take some getting used to, and there may be increased shedding at the beginning until your hair gets used to it.

-Seasonal - It may just be seasonal, and it'll pass.

As I've said, variety of factors! Examine your routine and your habits and hopefully you might be able to pinpoint the cause.