PDA

View Full Version : Some emotional support please?

Rebelkat
March 19th, 2009, 12:33 AM
I'm currently having some (so far) undefined health issues, and the stress is driving me nuts. My hair had just started recovering from one health issue and I started being happy with it again, and then three months ago BAM! I started gaining weight very rapidly, I actually gained twenty pounds in about eight weeks with no change in diet or activity level *my weight had been stable for two years prior*, and my hair started falling out at a ridiculous rate. My ponytail circumference has gone from 3.5" to 2.75", although the hair loss has slowed down. They're currently testing my thyroid because there is a dominant history of hypothroidism in my family, but my endocrinologist also suspects that it could be a hormonal flare up due to my polycystic ovary syndrome. Right now, I'm fighting an urge to cut because the ends look bad from a distance even though my hair is still quite healthy and soft with almost no splits. To be honest, I know that in the long run I would probably regret cutting it. :brickwall

My BF is encouraging me to just leave it alone and maintain it for a while to let things work themselves out, rather than doing something drastic. He says if I do decide to cut to only take off a couple of inches, so that I will be less likely to regret doing it. *The man is a saint for staying with me through all of this... he really is.:crush:* I think I'll just leave it for now, but I need some emotional support from people on here that have been in similar situations. I feel very alone right now.

LittleOrca
March 19th, 2009, 12:37 AM
:grouphug: I am sorry for what you are going through! I haven't gone through anything like that, so I can't help much other than give you free hugs. I'd agree with your BF though, keep the hair. It maybe a little thinner now, but when you are better you will be happier you kept it since it seems to make you happy. :)

rags
March 19th, 2009, 01:01 AM
I'm so sorry! I've been through "thryoid shed" at least four? times that I can think of. It is very difficult. Understand that if you are hypothyroid (I have been for almost twenty years now) when it goes bad your emotional balance can also be affected. (It tends to make you depresssed). So I was say certainly no cutting until at least two weeks after you get stabilizied on medication (if it is your thyroid).
Every single time I have cut because of thyroid thinning, I have regretted it. (My hair used to be at least waist length or longer, until another, unrelated health issue caused me to take medication which caused a massive shed that forced me to cut it a couple years back.)
I did however, trim the ends so they didn't look so scraggly, an inch or two, and was happy with it when I did that. Maybe that is what you need in order to feel better about your hair. If it is, I would do it!
And don't feel bad, my pony is only 1.75! It used to be at least 2.5" in my early twenties.
If you are hypothyroid, you should feel much better once you get started on medication. Then you can decide what you want to do with it.
:grouphug: because you seem like you need it.

Rebelkat
March 19th, 2009, 01:14 AM
Thanks, rags and LittleOrca for the support. It is greatly appreciated. I knew if there was anywhere I could come for a morale boost it was here on the LHC boards. :)

Gothic Lolita
March 19th, 2009, 01:50 AM
I'm sorry that you have to suffer from these health issues, Rebelkat! Hopefully you recover soon and the doctors find out what can help you.
I appreciate your boyfriend's advice, he's right. Don't something drastic to your hair, it is very pretty and I would regret cutting such beautiful hair. Wait til they put you on meds, then you can decide, what you'll do with it. In the meantime: stick to your BF's adive and keep it up!

shayly-fyanna
March 19th, 2009, 02:02 AM
I'm sorry about your health issues, sending hugs. I thought i had the same problem years ago (thyroid problems. ) i know how you feel. keep your chin up and don't let yourself feel bad. hugs and prayers.

hanne jensen
March 19th, 2009, 02:18 AM
:grouphug::puppykisses::flowers:I'm very sorry about your health issues. Listen to your BF. Maybe a small trim? I would oil the ends, put my hair up and forget about it until your health is stabilized. After all, you are only 13 inches from your goal.

LadyEliza
March 19th, 2009, 03:26 AM
Doing something nice for yourself, like a hair mask and a facial might help you feel better about the way it looks at the moment.

Remember, it's only passing, it will get lovely again! Just concintrate on getting well. :)

brok3nwings
March 19th, 2009, 03:41 AM
Hugs to you, im sorry that you are having these problems, stress, ansiety...i hope that you can find whats wrong and fix it with no problem. There is one thing you really have to consider, you are young! And young people recover so quikly, so dont worry too much about it please. About your hair, i dont think i would decide anything for now, really, dont even a trim, i would put it up, and after recover look at it again and think about it. Hope everything goes for the best

Pegasus Marsters
March 19th, 2009, 04:55 AM
Health comes first, hair comes second! Pin your hair up and forget about it, worry about your health at the moment. Your hair will recover in time.

Rebelkat
March 19th, 2009, 10:22 PM
:o Aww! Thanks you guys. I really appreciate all the wonderful support. The thyroid tests should be coming back soon and then my docs will come up with a plan of attack. If it's my thyroid, they'll put me on something for that, and if it's my PCOS then they'll put me on spironolactone to help with the hormone imbalance. Hopefully whichever one it turns out to be will be easier to fix than it has been to diagnose.

spidermom
March 19th, 2009, 10:25 PM
I agree with your BF - nothing drastic. Just maintain with a little trimming until the thickness suits you again. As for the health issues - that's tough, I know. But you're not alone, truly.

rose_in_bloom
March 19th, 2009, 11:20 PM
I'm so sorry this is happening to you. I also have PCOS and have lost a ton of hair and gained weight...so I feel extra sorry for you since I know how awful it is! I sure hope it can get resolved soon.

I also agree with your BF. Start with a small trim if you need it, and maybe give your hair some extra treats and pampering. Love yourself! :)

Lots of hugs and support coming your way, girlfriend!

kimi
March 19th, 2009, 11:56 PM
Ah, I'm sorry for your stresses. I'd suggest that you not make any big decisions about your hair yet, though. Wondering what to do will only be one more stressor. And I say that as a nurse and as a person who's been really sick before too. Lay the hair decision aside till the health issues are on the way to being dealt with, if you can. And remember to be really kind and patient to yourself, and take good, good care. Best wishes!

Aditi
March 20th, 2009, 03:22 AM
So sorry you are going through rough time right now, i wish you get well very soon. I agree with you BF for not cutting your hair but if time comes and you have no other choice besides cutting them then don't give it a second thought. Your health comes first then hair.

deRosa
March 20th, 2009, 08:14 AM
Google dr. Mercola. He has tons of info on thyroid problems on his homepage. He believes that the ordinary lab tests can be off because you can have huge problems even though the lab results seem to be within the "normal" range. He also has info on the best kind of thyroid replacement therapy. Also check his info on PCOS and hairloss. He really is great - and he is a medical doctor so he knows what he is talking about. He doesn't recommend treatments if there isn't scientific evidence to back it up.

I've been through some really hard medical problems and lost a lot of hair. I only trimmed the ends a bit and now one year later my hair looks great again. I can recommend uppping your protein intake no matter what.

And by the way - your boyfriend isn't a saint for staying with you. You are just as loveable as always - with or without health problems. Please remember that. I know it's hard. Big hugs!

Anne

aries
March 20th, 2009, 08:43 AM
I was diagnosed with hypothyroid a few years ago so it is something fairly new for me to deal with as well. I went through the depression/anxiety issues, hairloss and sudden weight gain with confusion as to what was going on because it didn't get diagnosed for many years. When my meds are off I now know it due to hairloss and depression/anxiety issues.

I wish you the best and hope this gets diagnosed quickly for you. I did do a small trim periodically to get my hair thickened back up and it seems like it's taking forever to gain length but I do know the length is coming and so is thickness. Increased protein and vitamins do help along with Omega 3.

Wishing you the best.