PDA

View Full Version : New, ORGANIC, lightweight product for DRY hair!

filiadeluna
April 1st, 2008, 02:12 PM
So, last night I just discovered Organix Nourishing Coconut Milk Anti-Breakage Serum. They sell it at CVS pharmacy and probably other places as well. It is organic, and contains coconut milk, whipped egg white proteins, vitamin e, shea butter, and coconut oil. It's very light-weight, smells AMAZING, and your hair will totally soak it up if it's dry.

I just bought this stuff last night to try it out, and I LOVE it so far. I've been putting just a tiny dab of it in my palms, rubbing them together, and putting it on my length & ends. I used to use jojoba oil, and it never felt like it was soaking in quite enough, and also weighed my hair down a bit.

This stuff is only $6.99 a bottle (as compared to $10+ for a jar of solid, messy coconut oil), and the one I bought had a mail-in-rebate to make it totally FREE (minus tax). The same company also has shampoo & conditioner with coconut products in them, but I've not tried those.

So, anywho, I will keep you updated as far as how it works for me in the long run. If anyone else wants to try it, or has tried it, please post your experience with it here. :)

Requiax
April 1st, 2008, 02:19 PM
Does it have any 'cones? If not I will have to try it, it sounds great!

chloeishere
April 1st, 2008, 02:34 PM
I get concerned about having proteins in leave-ins.

I don't know if it's valid or not, but I try to avoid it, personally. If a protein treatment is left in for more than an hour or two, you can generally end up with stiff, breakable hair. My hair likes protein, but I don't know if it wants THAT much protein. Just a thought.

The other ingredients sound good, though! If you are inclined, I'd certainly enjoy checking out the full ingredients list.
Found their website (http://www.organixhair.com/coconutmilk.asp), but no full ingredients list.

I also saw organix at Target yesterday-- they were on the bottom shelf in the "salon" section of hair care. The bottles were flat, short, and shaped roundish, from the front. I was intrigued, but on a mission to find Giovanni.

I've read on a different (non-hair related) forum that someone had tried the coconut milk shampoo and/or conditioner, and had a TON of breakage. Which makes me wonder about how much protein is in there-- although, I don't know the condition of her hair anyway. Just a thought.

SHADOWSCODE46
April 1st, 2008, 02:38 PM
This is interesting, as I have been eying the Organix line for a while now. I've been thinking since they are sulphate free, they would be a good alternative to Aveda on my broke days.

I think I am going to try some conditioners from them after reading this post, however not this particular product. As a vegan, the egg whites turn me off. >.<

Feisty Redhead
April 1st, 2008, 02:51 PM
I saw these products at Wal Mart recently but took a look at the ingredients and everything I looked at contained cones.

filiadeluna
April 1st, 2008, 03:47 PM
The product I have doesn't list silicones on the back of it. I wasn't aware that "too much protein" could cause breakage. Eeek! Now I'm paranoid. :(

Patrycja
April 1st, 2008, 03:51 PM
I loved the Coconut milk conditioner they have and also the Shea butter one.I just looked at the Vanilla Silk when I was at CVS a little while ago.The great thing about them is that they are offering a full rebate just to try their product.
I didn't realise they made a leave in :) and my hair totally digs cones :cheer:

eta-coconut milk is known for being high in protein.Personally,I have to use it very seldom.

Feisty Redhead
April 1st, 2008, 03:52 PM
The product I have doesn't list silicones on the back of it. I wasn't aware that "too much protein" could cause breakage. Eeek! Now I'm paranoid. :(

Really? Because this was one of the things I'd looked at that had cones and I just looked it up online and the ingredients lists I've seen online all list cones as the first ingredients, too.

filiadeluna
April 1st, 2008, 03:56 PM
Really? Because this was one of the things I'd looked at that had cones and I just looked it up online and the ingredients lists I've seen online all list cones as the first ingredients, too.

Nope, no cones, unless they left it off the packaging. My hair kind of likes cones, though - at least the scalp does. I've tried using organic shampoos or going longer without shampooing, but if I go more than 2 days without shampooing (preferably with regular shampoo) my scalp is an oily mess. I only shampoo the scalp, though. Also, the cone-free conditioners aren't slippery enough and my hair won't detangle properly.

Can someone please explain the protein thing to me, please? I'm really paranoid now and considering returning the product if it's going to CAUSE more breakage rather than prevent it. :confused:

Feisty Redhead
April 1st, 2008, 04:02 PM
Ingredients
Cyclomethicone, Decamethylcyclopentasiloxane, C2-15 Alkyl Benzoate, Silk Amino Complex, Vanilla Bean Oil, Shea Butter, Coconut Milk, Coconut Oil, Egg White Proteins, Vitamin E, Fragrance.

source: http://www.hairproducts.com/view_product_STY-ORG106.htm

Unless I'm looking at a different product than you're referring to, it definitely has cones.

filiadeluna
April 1st, 2008, 04:06 PM
Ingredients
Cyclomethicone, Decamethylcyclopentasiloxane, C2-15 Alkyl Benzoate, Silk Amino Complex, Vanilla Bean Oil, Shea Butter, Coconut Milk, Coconut Oil, Egg White Proteins, Vitamin E, Fragrance.

source: http://www.hairproducts.com/view_product_STY-ORG106.htm

Unless I'm looking at a different product than you're referring to, it definitely has cones.

Oh crud.. how did I miss the cone part of Cyclomethicone ?? LMAO. It's very tiny print on a transparent bottle, and I'm used to looking mainly for sulfates, not for silicones. Somehow I got them confused. What am I thinking? *scratches head*

I am still trying to figure out what the protein deal is.... I guess I'll have to Google it.

Feisty Redhead
April 1st, 2008, 04:09 PM
LOL I know it's so hard to read those labels; it should be required that they be easy to read! A few people looked at me like I was crazy in the store, I was holding the bottle at all sorts of angles and squinting at it trying to read it. I was determined to know what was in it before buying it though, so I didn't really care how crazy I looked.:silly:

Anje
April 1st, 2008, 04:13 PM
Here's a link (http://blackbeautyblackhair86911.yuku.com/topic/511/t/Hair-Breakage-and-Shedding-101.html) describing protein and moisture and how to maintain a balance of it in your hair. (Yes, apparently that board has been re-done as well.)

chloeishere
April 1st, 2008, 04:50 PM
Here's a link (http://blackbeautyblackhair86911.yuku.com/topic/511/t/Hair-Breakage-and-Shedding-101.html) describing protein and moisture and how to maintain a balance of it in your hair. (Yes, apparently that board has been re-done as well.)

That link is pretty useful, I've read it once. Yes, there is definitely a thing as too much protein, but it's very unusual that your hair will get too much moisture.
My hair enjoys protein, but I do a protein deep treatment no more often than once every 2 weeks. (Generally less, because I'm lazy). More often, it's about once a month or so, which works fine for me. I use a mayonnaise based method, which also has a lot of moisture. That way, the risk of breakage from over-proteinating my hair is reduced in my mind.

The leave-in probably won't hurt your hair at first, with the extra protein, but if you use it regularly often, you may start to notice stiff, brittle hair. If you do, STOP using it immediately, and do an SMT or something like that. You'll need a moisture treatment to hopefully rebalance your hair, and it might be good to clarify first.

For what it's worth, the first two ingredients in that ingredient list are 'cones-- the suffix -siloxane is also a 'cone ending, though it's disguised somewhat.

Thanks for the ingredients list! I checked on the other board I was referring to (makeupalley), and all the products had very mixed reviews, and apparently all the products are 'cone-laden. Mostly there were reviews for the shampoo and conditioner, which appear to be pretty drying. (Probably because they are full of 'cones and don't have any sulfates to remove them, so you get major build-up after a while!)
But if it works for your hair, and you aren't 'cone-free... then there is nothing wrong with using the products. Apparently, they all smell incredible.

filiadeluna
April 2nd, 2008, 12:00 PM
Thanks ladies! I will err on the side of caution and only use it once or twice a week on the ends.

I'm still a little confused with the protein vs. moisture thing. My hair is (chemical) color treated, and the ends are very dry. The length is somewhat dry, and the roots (as they grow out) are comparatively oily. *le sigh*

So I generally only use shampoo on the scalp - 2-3x a week with the CWC method (Suave Clarifying shampoo 1 of those days, Burt's Bees another, and Christophe Purely Natural the other), and add additional leave-in conditioner or jojoba oil to the ends afterwards to help detangle. I do S&D every few months. Not sure what I'm doing wrong.

I think I'm gonna start a new thread so I can ask more specific questions not necessarily related to the original topic.

Curlsgirl
April 2nd, 2008, 12:07 PM
More than likely your hair is not getting enough moisture rather than anything else especially if you are using a sulfate shampoo. Cones can also block moisture OUT or seal it in. You could try more leave-in or a different kind with oil over it to help seal it in. Also updos done when hair is damp and oiled help seal moisture in. I found my hair was much drier when I used cones than now that I am cone-free too. That's not true for everyone though. Hope you find something that helps!