PDA

View Full Version : waist/quick/easy followup

spidermom
April 1st, 2008, 02:04 PM
After such obvious recent evidence that advice is sought then ignored, I wanted to give a great big shout-out to everybody who offered me suggestions for dealing with my hair problems. I haven't gotten around to trying all of them yet, but I have already learned several new styles and techniques that have made my hair one of the easiest parts of my daily routine.

Thank you!

Curlsgirl
April 1st, 2008, 02:24 PM
That's great SM! I noticed your new siggy pic and your hair looks VERY pretty, nice and thicker on the ends and so healthy! I am so glad you are happy with it too!!!

Nightshade
April 1st, 2008, 02:27 PM
:spitting:

ROFL

Spidermom, you rock :stirpot:

And I don't think I ever got around to PMing you about how nice your ends look after your trim :)

Raederle
April 1st, 2008, 03:11 PM
Of course, I'm delighted that you got some help. I really wanted to contribute something, because you're always there with good advice for others. Now, of course, I'm sitting here, waiting for photographic proof that you have some new styles under your belt.

AJoifulNoise
April 1st, 2008, 03:31 PM
Oh, that's very good to hear. Your hair is so pretty. I'm glad the two of you are getting along better these days.

:flower:

jel
April 1st, 2008, 04:00 PM
I'm sitting here, waiting for photographic proof that you have some new styles under your belt.

Me too :D

Glad things are working out for you, Spidermom!

Shell
April 1st, 2008, 04:03 PM
Good. I was worried that you'd consider cutting!

I agree with Raederle--where are the pics?

lora410
April 1st, 2008, 04:12 PM
I am so glad to hear that:D I to was worried you may cut.

Pegasus Marsters
April 1st, 2008, 04:14 PM
Spidermom, I think I love you;)

And you know... your hair looks awesome. I was just thinking when reading some other threads how thick it's looking!

spidermom
April 1st, 2008, 06:15 PM
And photographic evidence you shall have! All I have to do is find my digital camera ... shouldn't be too hard ...

ole gray mare
April 1st, 2008, 06:27 PM
Yeah, SM!!! So glad you are trying new things that are working for you. (Nice follow-through too!:) )

Can't wait to see new pics. :flower:

doodlesmart
April 1st, 2008, 07:22 PM
Yay! Now I feel all guilty that I promised you pictures of what I was talking about and never got around to it. Grumble....testing....grumble....cold....grumble.. ..:doh:

spidermom
April 1st, 2008, 07:27 PM
Yay! Now I feel all guilty that I promised you pictures of what I was talking about and never got around to it. Grumble....testing....grumble....cold....grumble.. ..:doh:

And so you should! (no pressure)

doodlesmart
April 1st, 2008, 09:27 PM
Ok ok...I did it. So here is how I put my fork in a cinnibun so that it stays all day.

First, make a cinnibun, I remember you said you have trouble with them turning into a bee-butt bun, so I will tell you what I do to keep that from happening. I tried some pictures of this, but because of the nature of the way I hold it with my hands, you can't see a thing. So I will try and talk it through in detail.

First, I grab all my hair and start twisting the base (I twist with my left hand), then I lay that on my head. Once it have that first little bit of coil down(right now the length of my hair is pointing straight up), I place the heel of my right hand on it to keep it pressed against my head. I will note at this point that I wrap so that it would be counterclockwise if you are standing behind me watching.

Then I keep twisting with my left and wrap around, laying it flat against my head, until my length comes underneath and needs to go where my right arm is. At this point shift my right hand a little, and lay the forearm of my left arm across where my right hand was so that I keep holding it flat as I continue to wrap.

As soon as my length clears where my right arm needs to go, I go back to holding with my right hand (I usually use my fingers rather than the heel of my hand at this point, but there's not a good reason for it) and wrap again over the top.

Our hair is similar, so I'm going to assume you get a similar number of wraps to you, at this point I'm almost out of hair, so I bring what is left around the bottom and then take the very ends and lay them under the outer coil. I do this by taking my left hand and gently lift up the outer coil just a bit, and lay the ends under with the right hand. Then I push everything flat again. At this step be very careful not to pull it tight at all, just sneak them under and lay them down.

Unless my hair is very very clean, this will stay up for a minute or two on its own if I don't move my head. That's how I know I got it right.

Now, for the fork placement. There is a trick to this, at least for me, that makes it work. It is more natural feeling to me to insert the fork from 2 o'clock to 8 o'clock because I am right handed, however, I must insert it from 10 o'clock to 4 o'clock instead, and here's why. If I grab my bun once it's made and rotate it clockwise (again if you were behind me looking) it loosens, but if I rotate it counter-clockwise it tightens. So, I insert the fork (or stick or whatever) so that the natural tendency of the bun to unwind is countered by the gravity working on the heavier end (top) of the fork.

So, now for the pictures.

Here is how I insert the fork at the very beginning. The cinnibun is under my hand here holding it up. In this photo, my bun loosens clockwise.

http://web.jfs3.com/images/Pictures/HairPics/forkbun1.jpg

Then I rotate it like so, making sure to grab a bit of scalp hair:

http://web.jfs3.com/images/Pictures/HairPics/forkbun2.jpg

Finally, I push it all the way in:

http://web.jfs3.com/images/Pictures/HairPics/forkbun3.jpg

Ok, so now in the spirit of full disclosure, here is the messy bun that resulted from the picture taking attempt because I had to keep reaching for the camera at every step. It was messy, but it was still secure.

http://web.jfs3.com/images/Pictures/HairPics/forkbunfinal.jpg

Here is what it looks like if I just throw it up without trying to take pictures at every step:

http://web.jfs3.com/images/Pictures/HairPics/forkbunnice.jpg

Hope that helps. Please feel free to ask me to clarify anything.

Silver & Gold
April 1st, 2008, 10:10 PM
Yay! I just knew if you gave it a bit of time you would figure something out that works for you.

Now if my hair would just behave. I've been hating on my hair for the past couple of weeks. I keep telling myself if I just stick it out for a while longer things will get better.

Katze
April 2nd, 2008, 03:36 AM
Doodlesmart, that's a nice looking bun! Might have to rethink my opinion of buns...

Spidermom, your hair is indeed looking beautiful in your sig pic. It's thick, nicely waved, and has a beautiful color. What more could you ask for? :)

Hope you have fun and find a 'do or two that are really "you"...!

jojo
April 2nd, 2008, 04:13 AM
{{{{{{{SM}}}}}}}} you found your camera yet?

i can wait.....la...ta....da.....la....la...la....la.... !!

doodlesmart
April 3rd, 2008, 07:30 PM
Ok Spidermom, I was good and took pictures...now I want to see yours. :D :cheese:

birdiefu
April 3rd, 2008, 07:38 PM
Spidermom- though I haven't given advice in your previous threads (lurked on them, but not posted), I give my belated 'OMG your hair looks so awesome!!' remark, as it is so true! I think your hair looks so fabulous, I would love to see more pics :). Anyhow, I'm glad you are getting along with your hair better and that it's become an easy and delightful part of your routine.

spidermom
April 3rd, 2008, 08:05 PM
I've lost my digital camera. It's probably in the house, though. Or the truck. Otherwise I'd post pictures of the styles I'm learning. The camera will turn up soon. I hope.