PDA

View Full Version : scent for hair?

intothemist1999
April 1st, 2008, 01:25 PM
Is there such a thing as a "hair perfume"? :D

Besides essential oils, I'm thinking.

I'm a cologne junky, although I have to be very careful as many scents (a few EO's included) can make me sneeze.

I like EO's but I tend to buy them single, and don't mix to create different scents. Not sure how much time I want to spend on that at the moment, although I used to play with them more. If I DID stick with EO's, what's the best way to apply...a few drops on the hand and rubbed on, or should it be in a carrier? Or can it be added to water and sprayed? Come to think of it, I did make an jojoba oil & water spray that had some EO's added but the scent didn't last long, either in the bottle, or after being sprayed. Someone suggested that the airborne oil could be a problem and one time I did accidentally inhale some which was not a good experience.

In my pre-LHC days I would (very rarely) spray some cologne into the air and walk through it to get some scent on my hair. I realize the alcohol is an issue so I don't do that any more, and I can't find ANY sort of body spray that does not have alcohol in it.

Any ideas?

TIA! :flower:

Áine
April 1st, 2008, 02:10 PM
Intothemist,

I am currently developing my perfumery hobby, and that includes scenting my hair misters. I have had some success with blending key EO to make lovely fragrances, but every once in a while, I get an unexpected result. Recently, I had to stop using my conditioner blended with cinnamon because it bleached my hair quite a bit lighter.

karenpetal
April 1st, 2008, 02:19 PM
hey good question ... i was thinking of it ... i love the fructis smell - i am sure addition of natural fragrances to hair oil should work...
Also in the olden days they used to smoke hair with fragrances not sure if anyone still does that ...

atlantaz3
April 1st, 2008, 02:49 PM
Okay I'm admit I'm a romance novel reader and I love historicals the more detail the better. Usually the heroine has long flowing beautiful hair. The last one I read our heorine was kidnapped and sent to a harem - gasp! Anyway her maid brushed her hair with scented oil - so I was wondering the same thing about scenting hair. Maybe mist the brush or a few drops of eo on the bbb? They also dried the hair with pure silk fabric to add shine - that one has been rattlin' around the back of my brain for a while (would have to be natural uncolored silk - not sure how the dye would stay in the fabric wet... any way rambling....)
It's probably bad for the hair, but I've been known to put a few drops of my perfume in my palms and then smooth through my hair.

sweetlidlred
April 1st, 2008, 03:29 PM
This is what I do, I mix my perfume with fractionated coconut oil (liquid form, unscented) about a 1:2 ratio. Then I use the coconut oil as a leave in and it smells great. I know the alcohol offsets the coconut oil, but maybe they just even each other out. Anyway, it works for me.

CountessDeJager
April 1st, 2008, 03:38 PM
Heidi W. taught me to put a drop or two of grapefruit EO on the coconut oil for my hair and it smells delightful at the time but I can never catch the scent afterwards. I have found a perfume hair mist (http://www.isleofeden.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=210&products_id=335) that does linger from Isle of Eden (mostly a bath junkie site). I haven't noticed the hair softening properties but then my hair is pretty soft already. IOE also does scented shampoos and conditioners that give me a slight scent afterward.

Elizabeth

MemSahib
April 1st, 2008, 03:44 PM
It may not be the best for my hair but I sometimes dab in some straight EO, usually rose or a citrus scent. I don't know if this is bad or not.

Jeni
April 1st, 2008, 03:46 PM
Atlantaz3- I am so ashamed to admit this, but I think I have read that book......

I'm a guilty of spraying perfume in the air and walking through it to get it on my hair, I have stopped (for the most part) this practice. I don't have any EO (I know!!!!!) so for now I just look for yummy smelling leave-in conditioners.

Miss Murphy
April 2nd, 2008, 01:45 AM
Some manufacturers of high-end perfume concoct special versions for hair. I used to own one from Gucci Envy (my favourite perfume), and I think Chanel Chance has one too. These are without alcohol.

Lately I've been using the body sprays from this etsy seller:
http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=54299&section_id=5068014

The ingredients listed are: Water, Witch Hazel, Aloe Leaf Juice, Black Willow Bark, Tea Tree Leaf Oil, Methyl/Propylparaben,(Polysorbate 20), fragrance or essential oil.

So no alcohol, I do think witch hazel might be a bit drying. Most of the other stuff is in my mister bottle too.
She does have awesome scents, though - I own a couple, and her Amazing Grace-type is just heavenly.

rhosyn_du
April 2nd, 2008, 02:41 AM
Goth Rosary makes conditioner in the same scents as their perfume. Using a little as a leave-in (or in my mister) gives my hair a nice, light scent.

Saranne772
April 2nd, 2008, 03:31 AM
I have been wondering about this too. I have been using a Henna shampoo and it leaves a scent on my hair- I am not sure if I like it or not but other people have commented on liking the smell.

I also have been known to put a little of my purfume on my hands and smooth through my hair but I know that is not the best thing.

I do use a lavender EO and water in a mister bottle. That leaves a nice smell but its not noticeable really!

Katze
April 2nd, 2008, 03:41 AM
I have to second Goth Rosary...crypt is my favorite leave-in because the way it wears on my hair makes me feel kind of feral towards the end of the day. It's a nice light leave-in, too.

Sometimes I put a touch of perfume or perfume oil on my hair or in my mister, but not very often - apart from GR, many of my favorite scents wear strangely on my hair and smell kind of musty after a while.

intothemist1999
April 2nd, 2008, 12:23 PM
Thanks for the info! Can either of you recommend a scent from either the GR or the etsy site: in particular I like patchouli scents and also sandalwood. However, they are often too strong so I'm looking for something that adds other scents to tone them down without losing them altogether.

ETA: I can't wear anything too citrusy as it makes me sneeze :)

Miss Murphy
April 2nd, 2008, 12:30 PM
intothemist: etsy's Egyptian Dragon has patchouli in it - "The essence of sensuality captured in this fragrance with it's aromatic blend of exotic amber, elegant frankincense and myrrh with just a whisper of patchouli. The tiny top notes of rose and other lovely florals gently tickle your nose and drifts softly into an musky background. This fragrance embodies the seductive scents of mysterious Ancient Egypt."

The only scent with sandalwood is a male scent, though. Her travel sizes are rather cheap, though, so you might just give them a try.

intothemist1999
April 2nd, 2008, 12:36 PM
intothemist: etsy's Egyptian Dragon has patchouli in it - "The essence of sensuality captured in this fragrance with it's aromatic blend of exotic amber, elegant frankincense and myrrh with just a whisper of patchouli. .

Thanks, Miss Murphy! I read that list fast and didn't notice "whisper" and that it's got other florals! I WILL try that one!! :)

atlantaz3
April 2nd, 2008, 12:40 PM
[quote=Jeni;44001]Atlantaz3- I am so ashamed to admit this, but I think I have read that book......

Bertrice Small my favorite historical romance author. Her heroines always have gorgeous hair.

Miss Murphy
April 2nd, 2008, 12:44 PM
You're welcome! Their scents are very light, though. I always carry a travel-size with me to reapply during the day.

Delilah
April 2nd, 2008, 12:54 PM
I often use just a spritz of perfume in my hair.
With high quality perfumes it only takes what lands on your hair from one spray to scent it nicely, and I've never noticed any harmful effects from the drop of alcohol in one spray.

Bucatini
April 2nd, 2008, 01:41 PM
L'Oreal used to make hair fragrances, I remember that it came in two flavors- warm and cool. I don't know if it is still available though.

sapphire-o
April 2nd, 2008, 01:51 PM
I remember somebody here dilute Bpal in jojoba oil and use it as perfume for hair. I thought everybody use Bpal for hair. :) That's why Bpal is allowed on the swap board, right?

I put a few drops of rose oil and sandalwood oil in my regular hair oil. It's pretty light but I can smell it easily.

jojo
April 2nd, 2008, 05:46 PM
tangerine EO is what i add when i want my hair to smell nice, i love nice smells in my hair!

Aisha25
August 5th, 2008, 06:46 PM
I have found a site with hair perfume. I have not tried it but it sounds like it smells good.
http://www.quickbizsites.com/desertboutique/inc/sdetail/13151

Neen
August 6th, 2008, 02:01 AM
I'm patiently waiting for this one to come out:

http://tsilaorganics.com/products/hair.html

Unless I find something else in the meantime. It's a mix of butters and oils perfumed with EO's that you can use as a leave-in for your hair and/or on your body.

Tap Dancer
August 6th, 2008, 07:45 AM
www.hairscents.com (http://www.hairscents.com/)

I bought a couple of them a few years back but I didn't like them. Maybe someone else would?

Angellen
August 6th, 2008, 03:13 PM
I use BPAL to scent my hair. I usually put a drop or so in my mister, give it a good shake and then spritz away, but my mister seems to have snuck away in the night (a habit it seems to do a lot lately), and so I've been putting a bit in my hand and rubbing it through that way.

dorothea-brooke
August 6th, 2008, 07:43 PM
Okay I'm admit I'm a romance novel reader and I love historicals the more detail the better. Usually the heroine has long flowing beautiful hair. The last one I read our heorine was kidnapped and sent to a harem - gasp!

My God! I have never heard of anything like this happening in a romance novel!

:D

I dab Body Shop perfume oil on the nape of my neck. It kind of wafts up and through the hair, although technically the hair itself is not scented.

ETA: Also, Kimberlily's Coconut Hair Butter recipe calls for adding EOs. I don't put any in myself, since I like the smell of coconut, but I'm sure this would work well as a carrier for scent.

Jeni
August 6th, 2008, 08:11 PM
What about "fragrance oils" I have a few, not sure what is in them. I wondered about putting a few drops in a mister with some water and.....stuff (not a clue what). Obviously different fragrance oils will have different things in them, but does anyone use them, think it would hurt my hair?

blue_nant
August 6th, 2008, 08:34 PM
I have not read all the posts, but here's what I do. I put a small puddle of jojoba in the palm of my hand and 8 or more drops of essential oil, rub hands together and apply to hair.

I can smell it later, as well. My current fave is half EO of orange and half EO of clove. Ahhhh.

Nevermore
August 6th, 2008, 09:21 PM
Has anyone tried making teas (like people might with hibiscus for reddening) and using a bit of that in their mister? I was stuck by the urge to do this recently and made mint tea and used that. It was actually pretty nice.

spidermom
August 6th, 2008, 09:52 PM
My hair tends to retain the scent of the conditioners that I use, so I only buy the ones that I think smell good. The scent is especially apparent when I've had my hair up for awhile, then shake it down.

I don't see any harm in spraying perfume into the air and walking through it. The alcohol evaporates very fast when sprayed into the air. I don't think you'd end up with appreciable amounts of alcohol on your hair.

detritus
August 7th, 2008, 01:51 PM
I use a bit of ylang ylang in my mister (along with some camellia, glycerin, and aloe). I love the smell, floral and exotic. It blends well with the sandalwood type scents I tend to gravitate toward.