PDA

View Full Version : Progress pic! And what to do with my ends...

Katze
March 18th, 2009, 10:48 AM
Here is a pic from a couple of hours ago:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=218&pictureid=34520

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=218&pictureid=34520

The place where you can see a bit of my hand is my waist.

Funny how dark my hair looks, since this was a shot I tried to take of my new growth yesterday, on dirty hair, and it looks lighter:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=218&pictureid=34521

Argh, STILL can't get pictures into a post, sorry, even though so many kind people have tried to help me here...very sorry about this!

Also, what would you do with the ends if you were me? I AM trimming, slowly, and there IS leave-in on them, they feel soft and smooth, but they just look so thin and dry and lifeless, even though they aren't. I always feel kind of self-conscious about them, despite regular trims :(

Nightshade
March 18th, 2009, 10:50 AM
Stay the course! You've come so far, and your ends will just continue to improve :flowers:

Give an occasional 1/4in trim now and then if you must, but nothing drastic. :)

Rohele
March 18th, 2009, 10:56 AM
I would say just continue what you've been doing for now.

I notice you have a little one on the way - don't make any decisions about your hair until well after your baby is born. I speak as one who had the worst haircut of her life a few weeks after my first was born. Wait until the hormones settle down, lol.

Anyway, your hair pictures look nice to me - the ends look a little wispy, but still pretty. :)

spidermom
March 18th, 2009, 11:07 AM
Wow Katze, you've made such a lot of progress with your hair. Well done. I think your color is a definite tawny, which is a shade of blonde, although I also see some brown in there. Blonette? haha Regarding the ends: if it were me, being the impatient type - I'd lop the bad ends off all at once and be done with it. However, you've done well with occasional small trims, so I don't see reason to do anything different.

Altocumulus
March 18th, 2009, 11:24 AM
Your hair looks so soft and shiny! Even the ends look fine, if a bit wispy. I'd keep doing what you've been doing.

MsBubbles
March 18th, 2009, 11:26 AM
Your hair is looking so shiny and healthy! It looks a lovely color too. The thickness is definitely on its way down! I agree with what folk said about keeping on doing what you're doing (oh and I second the bit about post-partum haircutting insanity). I don't see anything wrong with your ends, actually.

JamieLeigh
March 18th, 2009, 11:31 AM
It looks absolutely gorgeous! I love the different colors you have going on...they really complement each other well. :)

And if your ends really are bothering you that badly, just keep trimming as you're doing. I think they look really nice as they are...sometimes we're our own toughest critics. ;)

Honey39
March 18th, 2009, 12:51 PM
Ooh, nice hair! I would carry on trimming, maybe cut what you grow for a while? It looks very nice though, and definitely the best hair pic I've seen of yours - it looks so shiny and just really pretty! I wouldn't change what you're doing, because it's obviously working :-)

Katze
March 18th, 2009, 12:52 PM
Thanks everyone for the kind comments. I have to say that this is post SMT, combed hair, carefully arranged for the camera. And the wispiness will go away in the next couple of days hopefully, but it is realistic for what I have to deal with.

. I speak as one who had the worst haircut of her life a few weeks after my first was born. Wait until the hormones settle down, lol.

Anyway, your hair pictures look nice to me - the ends look a little wispy, but still pretty. :)

Thanks! I guess the hormones will keep affecting me as long as I breastfeed, right? I am just hoping that I dont lose this thickness.

Wow Katze, you've made such a lot of progress with your hair. Well done. I think your color is a definite tawny, which is a shade of blonde, although I also see some brown in there. Blonette? haha Regarding the ends: if it were me, being the impatient type - I'd lop the bad ends off all at once and be done with it. However, you've done well with occasional small trims, so I don't see reason to do anything different.

Thanks! This is post SMT, so it is always darker after that, hence the brown. It will probably look lighter again once it gets dirtier, which is the opposite of how it used to be. So weird, I think my hair has definitely changed color.

The problem is unless I look at pics like this I can't see where to stop cutting. My hair is so V shaped and tapered that I can see the longest ends, and trim them, but don't get the sides as well with Feye's method.

And even though the ends LOOK bad, they are really in great condition after all the trimming and babying, lol.

Your hair looks so soft and shiny! Even the ends look fine, if a bit wispy. I'd keep doing what you've been doing.

Thanks, it's the wispiness I want to get rid of.

I think I do just need to keep trimming, let my layers catch up, and keep doing what I am doing, including the frequent SMTs. They always make my hair look better than anything else.

Phalaenopsis
March 18th, 2009, 12:58 PM
Actually, I think your ends look good :) But maybe you don't like the feel of them. It's always hard to say on a picture.

twilight
March 18th, 2009, 12:59 PM
wow it looks like waist!! awesome!

for me i am sticking out the less-than-perfect ends because i love the length... taking a little at a time a la nightshade's damage control method suits me better.

your natural highlights are very pretty too.

LutraLutra
March 18th, 2009, 01:01 PM
Your hair looks really pretty. :) I don't see anything that looks like a big problem with the ends at all, yes they look wispy, but that look evenly wispy. If it bothers you a few 1/2 inch trims every few months would get rid of them quickly.

ElenTikvah
March 18th, 2009, 01:06 PM
I think your color is a definite tawny, which is a shade of blonde

Actually, I love this description of Katze's hair color...tawny, sounds so much nicer than others...though I still love the description of hair-colored hair. Specifically, I empathize, as I have the same color...so, now, I'm tawny! :cheese:

Anyway, related to the original post, Katze, I think your hair looks lovely, especially the wispy ends. You say that this is what you are trying to fix, which I understand, but it is really obvious that your ends are happy...

~Tik

trollkjerring
March 18th, 2009, 01:44 PM
Congrats, Katze - you have come a long way and your hair looks wonderful in the pics.

Just keep up the good work and it will get more beautyful every month.

manderly
March 18th, 2009, 01:57 PM
Here you go:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=218&pictureid=34521

Katze, just click the IMG button (looks like a little mountain with a moon over it) and paste your URL into the box that pops up instead of pasting it into your post directly.

Your hair looks great :) It even looks like baby thickened it up!!

HairyCarrie
March 18th, 2009, 02:05 PM
Katze: Good to see some last minute pics before the baby comes. Any time now eh? Congratulations on your lovely length and impending birth. Hope it goes easy and I just know it will be a fantastic experience!

jojo
March 18th, 2009, 02:05 PM
wow! your hair has grown loads, id just do 1/4" dustings every other month. Your hair is looking wonderful and you are now at that light at the end of the tunnel, waist is just around the corner. I love your colour too, quite beautiful xx

Arctic
March 18th, 2009, 02:18 PM
Your hair looks great! And long too!

brok3nwings
March 18th, 2009, 02:44 PM
i dont see anything wrong with your ends, really. when i trim my ends they look very regular and seam to be more controled, after a few months they start to have different sizes and they turn inside, outside, they look a bit wierd sometimes but i would only trim them if they were damaged, otherwise when i have longer hair i really think i wont bother with a bit of unregular ends. your hair is looking so nice dont do anything stupid ;)

spidermom
March 18th, 2009, 02:52 PM
Thanks! I guess the hormones will keep affecting me as long as I breastfeed, right? I am just hoping that I dont lose this thickness.

In my experience, and to the best of memory (my baby will soon be 24), the hormones of breast-feeding are different than the hormones of pregnancy.

Silverlox
March 18th, 2009, 03:00 PM
Nice hair, Katze!!! :thumbsup:

I don't see anything wrong with your ends. They don't look split or dry or damaged in any other way. Yes, I can see that you have a little bit of fairytailing going on, but that's a trait, not a fault! Nothing scraggly about them whatsoever! :flower:

To my eyes it looks like you've been doing everything right and you have had great progress. Just stay with the "program", it seems to be working well for you. I'm a firm believer of "if it ain't broken, don't fix it".

Apparently, some of us are destined to having fairytails. Either that or rather short hair. It's your choice. :shrug:

This, of course, comes from someone who is the Queen of Fairytails. Nevertheless, tails and all, I've just reached Classic. :D

eresh
March 18th, 2009, 03:29 PM
Your hair looks healthy and beautiful!
But if you feel insecure about the ends and it keeps you from enjoying your hair, maybe keep trimming as you do now and the layers will catch up quicker?

I love fairytale ends personally...but I had my very first straight hemline trim a few days ago, the fairytales didn't bother me but the shape of them did (upside down V).

If you can't trim it with the selftrim method maybe ask you SO to do it for you (if he dares ;) ), mine did my trim (scary...but it turned out alright ;))

Isblå
March 18th, 2009, 03:38 PM
Hi Katze! I think your hair looks just wonderful, and ever improving. I don't think you need to do anything different than what you are doing today, and if you want thicker ends just trim 1/2 - 1/3 of your growth each month. I agree with those suggesting not doing anything drastic these next months, when so much else is changing. Congratulations on great improvement!

Islandgrrl
March 18th, 2009, 04:11 PM
Hi Katze....I think your hair looks great. It's grow a bunch and I don't think the ends look bad. A little thin, but if you keep up with the regular microtrims that'll go away. Good growing!

amaiaisabella
March 18th, 2009, 08:56 PM
Your hair looks great! Definite proof that us fineys can GROW! :D

LadyEliza
March 19th, 2009, 03:31 AM
I think if you ask "what do I do about my ends" you really know the answer - you want to trim them.

Yes, it slows down the growth, you have to wait for the trimmed bit to grow back. But think how good it will look, how much thicker to have ends that are (close to) blunt! And then when it grows back it will keep that thicker profile for much longer.

I'm going to grow mine to a certain length, then maintain that length for a period of time so that I can get rid of ends and have a more blunt look - always looks thicker and healthier to me!

Katze
March 19th, 2009, 08:57 AM
Thanks, everyone, for the comments. I think my hair is truly at the best it has ever, ever been - including as a kid! Pregnancy has sped up the thickening I was already having (I have baby hairs from 2" down to about chin length, so they are not all from being pregnant) and the better care has finally, visibly paid off. Also, as I said before, this is after an SMT so it's when my hair looks its best. I'm going to keep doing SMTs with every wash at least until baby comes (which might just be one wash more...)

I think if you ask "what do I do about my ends" you really know the answer - you want to trim them.

Yes, it slows down the growth, you have to wait for the trimmed bit to grow back. But think how good it will look, how much thicker to have ends that are (close to) blunt! And then when it grows back it will keep that thicker profile for much longer.

I'm going to grow mine to a certain length, then maintain that length for a period of time so that I can get rid of ends and have a more blunt look - always looks thicker and healthier to me!

See, that's the thing, I HAVE been trimming, just trimmed again last weekend, and am dismayed that my ends always look so weightless and thin. I suspect my hair just grows like this, but until the layers are grown out there is no way of telling. I literally took the longest inch off, for the first time since October, so was a bit surprised to see how thin and wispy they look on a very good hair day.

I guess this is natural 'fairytaling' but I am self-conscious about how thin and damaged my hair looks, having been told by countless people that it is too thin, etc. I do want a blunt hemline, but it seems like I can't get that and also length...?

Trying to stay optimistic here and hope that 1) I don't loose too much hair after baby comes - pregnancy hormones have been very kind to my health overall, causing me to lose weight, feel overall more fit, and generally be healthier than before; and 2) that the taper will keep moving down as it has if I keep trimming.

Technically my longest thinnest ends are at waist, but in my mind, because of the lack of thickness, I am still at BSL or APL!

Rohele
March 19th, 2009, 09:36 AM
I guess the hormones will keep affecting me as long as I breastfeed, right?

Those are different hormones that you are producing at that time I think. I'm referring more to the post-pregnancy/first few weeks of weeks of being a mom upheaval (which happens in varying degrees to everyone). Its such an intense time that if you are prone to emotional cutting/dyeing/changing of hair, it can be a dangerous time for wanting to do something drastic with your hair.

spidermom
March 19th, 2009, 10:17 AM
Those are different hormones that you are producing at that time I think. I'm referring more to the post-pregnancy/first few weeks of weeks of being a mom upheaval (which happens in varying degrees to everyone). Its such an intense time that if you are prone to emotional cutting/dyeing/changing of hair, it can be a dangerous time for wanting to do something drastic with your hair.

That's for sure! I cut my hair very short for each of my babies. It was much easier that way, one less thing to have to deal with - wash, towel, and go.

Robinlyn
March 19th, 2009, 11:14 AM
I agree with everyone...trim a little if you must. Your hair looks so beautiful!!