PDA

View Full Version : "it's just hair"

twilight
March 18th, 2009, 07:55 AM
ok... yes. i know that. i've chopped off enough feet of hair in my life to appreciate that it grows back eventually...

but last night i had a really awful hair-related nightmare that woke me up on the verge of tears! :(

i dreamed that my grandmother was yelling at me about how awful my hair was [she recently gave me a lot of crap about my unborn DD's name IRL, so i am not surprised she was the bad guy in this dream] and as a result of her harassment, I CUT IT OFF!

so i was in this dream, my hair chopped horrendously to my nape, with longer straggly pieces on each side, and worst of all it was my natural color with highlights.

:trainwreck:

i don't know why--of all styles--i would've done that, but it was awful. in the dream i screamed and cried and sobbed uncontrollably, thinking back on my wonderfully henna'd waist-length hair, completely convinced that i would never be myself again until my hair grew back. i cried so hard that i had started to cry in my sleep, which is when i woke up. :wail:

and how relieved was i to wake up and feel my long braid?! *heavy exhale* :pray: thank the gods it was a dream!

(usually my hair dreams consist of imagining it's longer than it really is, so i wake up disappointed.)

anyway... it made me start to question the truth of "it's just hair" for me, right now, at least. i didn't realize what an apparently integral part of who-i-am that my hair has become...

spidermom
March 18th, 2009, 08:10 AM
Yelling at you about the name for your DD? No wonder you had a nightmare. I'm surprised you weren't hacking bits of your grandmother away in the dream.

I don't feel that I'm all that sentimental about my hair, but I once dreamed that somebody cut off one big chunk in the back, and it nearly brought me to tears. It's not good to feel victimized in any manner.

SHELIAANN1969
March 18th, 2009, 08:13 AM
Dreams can be more disturbing that real life occurences. I think it's stress showing itself.

Off topic/ I love your new siggy pic, it's beautiful!! :blossom:

Isa-belle
March 18th, 2009, 08:25 AM
(usually my hair dreams consist of imagining it's longer than it really is, so i wake up disappointed.)
:lol:

Hair may grow back, sure, but it's a part of us nonetheless. When we grow it and enjoy having it long, cutting a significant length is really cutting off a part of ourselves. Been there, done that...

(Your signature picture is indeed beautiful :) )

twilight
March 18th, 2009, 08:28 AM
Yelling at you about the name for your DD? No wonder you had a nightmare. I'm surprised you weren't hacking bits of your grandmother away in the dream.

no kidding! she didn't "yell" at me about the name, but she clearly expressed her dislike of it in a way that i did not appreciate (and is completely out of character for her). and this after we are naming DD's middle name after her! :mad:

i never thought i was sentimental about my hair, either. now i wonder...

Darkhorse1
March 18th, 2009, 08:47 AM
I love your signature photo. I've come to the conclusion that if people in your life don't like what you do, tough. I love your DD's pending name! Brooke Shields named her daughter Rowan, and I think it's a lovely name.

I've had horrific dreams of my hair being cut, but I'm a lucid dreamer, so I now can make my hair 'grow back' in my dream. I remember this happened and I pulled on the short ends and it pulled out back to tailbone :)

Hugs to you!

wintersun99
March 18th, 2009, 09:36 AM
twilight - your henna art is fabulous! :D

spidermom
March 18th, 2009, 09:41 AM
no kidding! she didn't "yell" at me about the name, but she clearly expressed her dislike of it in a way that i did not appreciate (and is completely out of character for her). and this after we are naming DD's middle name after her! :mad:

I was 13, so that's my excuse, but I remember a neighbor was planning to name her daughter Jennifer, and I blew up at her about what a horrible name that was. What was I thinking?

I agree - your sig pic is beautiful.

JamieLeigh
March 18th, 2009, 09:45 AM
I used to think "it's just hair". Maybe that's why I had no trouble chopping 3+ feet off about a decade ago. And still, if my hair were to stop growing right now, I'd be happy with where I'm at. I'm easy to please! ;)

But it would feel so weird to NOT be concerned about my hair, after the past few years when I've really started learning how to better take care of it. And having worked hair care so deeply into my schedule, I would have a lot of empty time on my hands if I weren't so involved in hair maintenance. (Although, having 5 kids, I would probably find SOMETHING to do...or it would be found for me :D)

And if I've never said it before, congratulations on your pregnancy...I also love the sig photo. It's beautiful! :)

twilight
March 18th, 2009, 12:38 PM
twilight - your henna art is fabulous! :D

actually that's a tattoo! but thank you anyway :o i did want it to LOOK like henna!

ETA: not the face, just the shoulder. the face is cleverly matched eyeshadow and eyeliner art.

Katze
March 18th, 2009, 12:47 PM
sorry to hear about that. Pregnancy dreams are crazy, at least mine are!

I read in a psychology and parenthood magazine that lots of 'issues' including stuff from childhood will come up during pregnancy, and that that, plus the extra sensitivity, is a way of making sure you are tuned in to your baby so that you are a good parent. For me, it's like the last bits of 'baggage' are finally being shed.

Based on advice from an acquaintance, we have made it a point to tell no one about names, though we have told a couple of friends. I want my kid to have a middle name, which isn't 'done' here, and they can just go...take a flying leap. Dad wants me to name a son after him, not that I don't love my dad but it isn't going to happen. Mom responded with 'they don't do that these days, honey' which I really appreciated.

twilight
March 18th, 2009, 01:25 PM
sorry to hear about that. Pregnancy dreams are crazy, at least mine are!

I read in a psychology and parenthood magazine that lots of 'issues' including stuff from childhood will come up during pregnancy, and that that, plus the extra sensitivity, is a way of making sure you are tuned in to your baby so that you are a good parent. For me, it's like the last bits of 'baggage' are finally being shed.

my dreams have definitely been nuts lately, and they were never mild to begin with. i have woke up crying several times from various nightmares--in one DH died! that was a bad one. it's interesting that this could very well be a psychological preparation...

Based on advice from an acquaintance, we have made it a point to tell no one about names, though we have told a couple of friends. I want my kid to have a middle name, which isn't 'done' here, and they can just go...take a flying leap. Dad wants me to name a son after him, not that I don't love my dad but it isn't going to happen. Mom responded with 'they don't do that these days, honey' which I really appreciated.

i've been keeping pretty quiet about the name, but of course i told my mom and she told... everyone. oops. DH and i had such a difficult time agreeing on anything that it was like the light at the end of the tunnel when we settled on this one... so there is no way in HELL i'm changing it, on principle. and anyway, it's perfect--i already know it fits her exactly.

i am perfectly prepared to tell anyone who doesn't like it to 'go scratch' but that doesn't mean it doesn't hurt. and i'm sure DH's mother, who is coming to visit this weekend for my mother blessing, will also hate it. *sigh*

jera
March 18th, 2009, 03:00 PM
Your dream sounded absolutely terrifying. :( I hope it traumatize poor little DD. That is a terrible thing to have happen at this of all times isn't it?

Your new siggy pic is awesome, BTW. :)

longhairedfairy
March 18th, 2009, 06:18 PM
I can sympathize with the weird dreams. *HUGS*
I don't know why anyone would think it's their business to tell you what you should or shouldn't name your baby. I don't always like what my friends/family name their kids, but I'm not going to say it to their faces. That's just mean.

Your signature pic is so sweet! :cloud9: :inlove:

NeilTheFuzz
March 18th, 2009, 06:30 PM
Like you say Twilight, I think your hair does become a big part of you. It's one hell of a mission to get a decent length of hair. I mean, it's taken me the best part of ten years to grow my hair to where it is. Say I live to be 80, that's a whole 8th of my life! Which I guess is why I also get hair cutting nightmares. I could never imagine cutting my hair anytime soon.

twilight
March 19th, 2009, 11:48 AM
thanks for all the siggy compliments! :o

Your dream sounded absolutely terrifying. :( I hope it traumatize poor little DD. That is a terrible thing to have happen at this of all times isn't it?

yes! i try to keep calm for her benefit unless i really need to vent/cry so i felt kind of sabotaged by my brain for springing that on me in my sleep. but i was happy enough when i woke up that i think it wasn't too bad :)

I can sympathize with the weird dreams. *HUGS*
I don't know why anyone would think it's their business to tell you what you should or shouldn't name your baby. I don't always like what my friends/family name their kids, but I'm not going to say it to their faces. That's just mean.

i was really surprised too. to be fair, she has had a really traumatic year and probably isn't 100% herself, so it's possible she didn't realize how pushy and rude she was being. but i am so non-confrontational myself that i would NEVER criticize someone's name choices, especially over something so important as a child. i mean, essentially she was making fun of my daughter, you know? but anyway.

Like you say Twilight, I think your hair does become a big part of you. It's one hell of a mission to get a decent length of hair. I mean, it's taken me the best part of ten years to grow my hair to where it is. Say I live to be 80, that's a whole 8th of my life! Which I guess is why I also get hair cutting nightmares. I could never imagine cutting my hair anytime soon.

me neither. here's to the mission! :beerchug:

camirra555
March 19th, 2009, 12:44 PM
About two years ago I had dreads and one night I dreamed I cut them and I woke up freaking out. At the time other dreads I knew told me of similar experiences

intothemist1999
March 29th, 2009, 10:04 PM
ok... yes. i know that. i've chopped off enough feet of hair in my life to appreciate that it grows back eventually...

but last night i had a really awful hair-related nightmare that woke me up on the verge of tears! :(

i dreamed that my grandmother was yelling at me about how awful my hair was [she recently gave me a lot of crap about my unborn DD's name IRL, so i am not surprised she was the bad guy in this dream] and as a result of her harassment, I CUT IT OFF!

so i was in this dream, my hair chopped horrendously to my nape, with longer straggly pieces on each side, and worst of all it was my natural color with highlights.

:trainwreck:

i don't know why--of all styles--i would've done that, but it was awful. in the dream i screamed and cried and sobbed uncontrollably, thinking back on my wonderfully henna'd waist-length hair, completely convinced that i would never be myself again until my hair grew back. i cried so hard that i had started to cry in my sleep, which is when i woke up. :wail:

and how relieved was i to wake up and feel my long braid?! *heavy exhale* :pray: thank the gods it was a dream!

anyway... it made me start to question the truth of "it's just hair" for me, right now, at least. i didn't realize what an apparently integral part of who-i-am that my hair has become...

I find it strange that if there's an issue about our hair, our first response (dreamland or otherwise) can be to cut it off by way of retaliation....hurting ourselves, not the perp.

Hmmmm, that got me onto another track from where I meant to go....if they spit venom about our hands, would we cut them off?

Maybe people who try to sabotage us on some level, go for the hair since it's not acceptable to go for the hand. Maybe they would if they could? I'm not directing this at your grandmother, but the nasty people we hear so much about on TLHC. Maybe they are more evil than we think.

Melian
March 30th, 2009, 02:36 AM
Pregnancy dreams are just crazy! They are so much more on the emotional, intense level than normal dreams. So I hear ya on the dreams. It'll pass. And about the name, let it loose. People like to meddle in this name choosing war. I only told my grandparents about our choices and my grandpa said: "Well I hope it'll be a girl because I do not like the boys' name!" (we didn't know the gender until HE was born). Ah well. Normal expression for my grandpa.

enfys
March 31st, 2009, 12:37 PM
Well I don't have kids so I can't comment on pregnancy dreams, but I've dreamt of hair vandalism more than anything else.

It's surprising how many times things like your dream have happened in real life though. At least in May when you pop you won't get any sleep at all for months, so no more nightmares heehe!

I agree that tattoo work is lovely, and Iwas so jealous thinking your face tattoo was real and wishing I was that brave.