PDA

View Full Version : 2a/bs what is your experience?

K_Angel
March 18th, 2009, 05:58 AM
I am a 2a with one strand down the back/underside of hair that is a 2b. Goofy, I know. :shrug:

I was wondering what issues you've experienced in your hair routine?

What products/routine work best in your hair?

What is your goal? Are you trying to make your hair look more curly? Or are you making the most of your waves?

For that matter, do you love or hate your waves?

What is the hardest part of being a wavy/wurly to you?

I've just noticed that the rules that apply to straight hair don't apply to me any more.... and the rules for curly hair are much too heavy for my wavy hair. It seems like the 2a/b crowd need to come up with our own Wurly Girl Handbook! LOL

I went over to the naturally curly website to see if I could figure it out. But it seemed that there was much confusion for us 2a/b people. We seem to be in the "neither here nor there" category. I would like to see, if it seems like a good idea, what we can share with each other the things that works best for a 2a/b.

ETA:

Definitions of 2s:

2a as slightly wavy

2b as clearly wavy

2c as very wavy almost curly

Will add more clarifications as they are suggested for this part of the Thread, if you like?

Pixna
March 18th, 2009, 07:03 AM
I currently list my hair as 1c/2a. I used to list it as 2a/2b, but it seems to be getting a little straighter as I get older. About a year and a half ago, I cut my waist-length hair (in stages) in an attempt to bring out my curls. It was a huge mistake. After trying so hard to be a curlygirl, I realized my hair is wavy, not curly. I used gel, scrunched, followed the Curly Girl routine, and in the end, although I looked curlier, it was a royal pain in the butt to do. Sadly, I went even shorter (to a pixie!!) for a variety of reasons, but trying to get curlier was among them. Now I am growing my hair back out, as long as it will grow, and appreciating my hair texture all the way instead of trying to make it into something it's not.

I like my waves -- I've always had them. And although I sometimes envy stick-straight, sleek hair, it's not what I've got, and that's okay. We wavies have body and bounce, and I love that about our hair. Another thing I love is that each of us has unique hair -- there are no two wavies with exactly the same wave patterns.

One of the hardest parts of being a wavy is that I never know from day to day, wash to wash, how my wave patterns will go. They seem to switch around a bit from week to week. I'm learning to accept that though, and just go with the flow (or wave), wherever it takes me and feels like going.

I use mostly natural products on my hair. Yesterday I switched from Aubrey Organics to Shikai. The Shikai conditioner has a small amount of cones, which I've never used before. I'm experimenting. I really don't do much beyond shampooing and conditioning (yes, I DO use shampoo now). I use a smooth, wide-tooth comb to detangle, and a finer comb afterward to smooth. I brush (upside down) and detangle right-side up. Brushing does remove some of the curls, making my hair more wavy than curly and smoothing things down. Brushing removes shed hairs, stimulates my scalp, feels good, and gives my hair extra body and shine.

The Curly Girl routine and gels and scrunching don't work for me at all. Now that I've been down that road, I'm learning more about what my wavy/wurly hair likes, and I'm loving it more in the process.

Addy
March 18th, 2009, 07:04 AM
I am a 2a with one strand down the back/underside of hair that is a 2b. Goofy, I know. :shrug: I have that same goofy strand that trails down the middle of my head.

I was wondering what issues you've experienced in your hair routine? I haven't experienced anything bad since joing LHC.

What products/routine work best in your hair? I use Suave Clarifier and their Conditioner, and Aussie Moist Conditioner. Then I'll use EVOO when I want.

What is your goal? Are you trying to make your hair look more curly? Or are you making the most of your waves? My goals are to grow long and have healthy looking hair. I try to make my hair look more curly by not combing after I get out of the shower. I started to do this a few weeks ago but I don't do it two days in a row because I don't want my hair to mat up. On days that I do comb and leave down, my hair will still wave a bit.

For that matter, do you love or hate your waves? I love my waves! When I was little, my hair was poker straight! I kinda wish it would wave a little more on the sides but... what you have and what you get are two different things.

What is the hardest part of being a wavy/wurly to you? I don't notice a difficult time.

I've just noticed that the rules that apply to straight hair don't apply to me any more.... and the rules for curly hair are much too heavy for my wavy hair. It seems like the 2a/b crowd need to come up with our own Wurly Girl Handbook! LOL

I went over to the naturally curly website to see if I could figure it out. But it seemed that there was much confusion for us 2a/b people. We seem to be in the "neither here nor there" category. I would like to see, if it seems like a good idea, what we can share with each other the things that works best for a 2a/b.

I don't fight with my hair. I'm in the ignore it stage right now as I creep up on BSL. I'm also growing out my color and I'm very intrested to see if my virgin hair will hold the wave as well as my color treated abused hair. I hope so. :D

getoffmyskittle
March 18th, 2009, 07:16 AM
Heh. I'm classified as a 2a/2b, but my canopy varies (depending on humidity and oiliness - putting coconut oil in wet hair = really wavy/curly) from 1b to 2b/2c. My underlayer is pretty solidly 2c. I just took the average. :p

My biggest issue is finding something that works for both scalp and hair. Or for scalp at all. I haven't quite gotten there yet, after 4 years on LHC. :shrug:

Products/routine... I've found it doesn't much matter so long as it provides adequate moisture.

I don't really have any goals wrt waviness, it doesn't make a difference to me. I'm totally ambivalent toward them. Until they start to frizz up. Then I don't like them. So yeah, that was three questions in one - the thing I hate/hardest part is the frizziness in humid weather.

I also have a "fluffiness" to my hair texture that not all 2as have...

We are definitely in neither/nor land. :lol:

Sia
March 18th, 2009, 07:20 AM
I am a 2a with one strand down the back/underside of hair that is a 2b. Goofy, I know. :shrug:

What is your goal? Are you trying to make your hair look more curly? Or are you making the most of your waves?

Anyone else think it's a good idea for a thread?

P.S. If someone has already done this... I apologize humbly. Just send me the link so I can go there. :)

Even though I'm a new member and apologize for the scary avatar ..
I hear ya! Goofies of the world unite!
Obviously, I think it's a great idea for a thread (if it's not a thread already).

I wanted to post pics but I have yet to figure out the whole process. When I do, I'll post.
Anyway, to be honest, I have no idea what type of hair I have. If goofy would indeed be a category, I'd fit right in.
If I let my hair dry naturally, I'll most likely have silky, straightish hair at the back underside, some ringlets and some waves above that and, if I'm particularly lucky, a bunch of unidentifiable frizz on top. Nice. :rolleyes:

I've spent years blowfrying and straightening my hair. Sometimes it looked very smooth and silky but more often than not, it looked dry and 'forced into place' if you know what I mean. I'd also spend the rest of the day praying it wouldn't rain.
This became tiresome and I began to experiment with the curly girl method .. CO washing, plopping, leave-ins etc. and sometimes it did work, and sometimes I even felt good in curls/waves ..until the next morning that is. Then I'd have to re-wet, re-wash my hair, hoping that it would turn out all right. But I never knew if it was going to be heavy/greasy/sticky, curly, defined or fuzzy and I found it to be even more work than blowdrying and straightening.

I really wanted to improve the health of my hair and 'embrace my natural mix' so I've tried out a million different homemade concoctions. Even though I'm still convinced that the way my hair looks is ultimately dependent on the position of the stars or the moon or, at least, dependent on something I have absolutely no control over whatsoever;), I have actually found a routine which seems, until now anyway, to consistently agree with my wurly hair.
These are:
-either HES shampoo (honey, egg, ACV) or a very mild shampoo (mine's from Denmark)
-Conditioner mixed with a few drops of silk protein and a bit of honey
-AND a straightening balsam from Phyto which has been amazing for me.

- I also use a mixture of shea butter, cocoa butter, coconut oil and conditioner (similar to Fox's Shea Conditioning Cream, I think it's called) for the ends when they're feeling dry. But not too much or it'll just look oily.

A combination of these results in smooth waves, one or two ringlets and normally, no fuzz - especially if I put it up into a bun when it's still a little damp.

I really like this straightening balsam because I feel so much better when my hair is straighter/wavy than when it's wavy/curlyish.

So, that's my story. Thanks for starting this!:)

K_Angel
March 18th, 2009, 07:20 AM
My hair was always straight growing up. In fact, it's only been the last 15 years that my hair started to become wavy. I hated my stick straight hair, so for me, I was delighted with waves. What I didn't realize was that there would be differences with the new wavy hair. All of a sudden the old standards didn't work for wavy hair.

And all the major CG stuff was too overwhelming to my hair.

When my hair first started be become wavy it would do this funky/ugly separate and look ratty, like I never brushed my hair at all. So, if I brushed it a bit before it was completely dry that would take care of that messy look.

Now, that time has passed and now I have nice 2a waves and they lay nicely on my hair. So, I'm glad to be in this "hair place" now.

I use NG Herbal Daily shampoo and Giovanni 50/50 conditioner and Giovanni Direct leave in. That seems to be working at the moment. But still the routine is a work in progress. I air dry my hair and finger comb it for the most part. Sometimes I use the Tangle Teezer brush when my hair needs to be more "smooth." I'm actually pleased with the Tangle TEezer it works great for my hair! Lots less breakage and it makes my hair look full.

I thought it was really quite freeing when I realized I was a wurly/wavy. And with that freedom came the time to find out more about what a wurly/wavy is and what we can do to accomplish our hair goals.

DavidN
March 18th, 2009, 07:24 AM
My hair varies anywhere from a 2a, sometimes even 1c, on dry days, and can go all the way to a 2c during the most humid weather. I have always had difficulty even trying to classify it!

There are days that I wish my hair was a bit straighter, and thicker too, of course, but I know that I must make do with what I have. I find that cones seem to work best as far as conditioners go, but have to make sure to clarify at least once a week, to remove build up from the cones.

jewelotn
March 18th, 2009, 08:37 AM

I used to S/C and flat-iron every other day. I'd get the white flakies and my length/ends felt a bit dry all the time but other than that, not too many problems. I recently switched to using BS and ACV b/c I was getting fed up with the dry ends. I think it's been about 6-8 weeks, I kinda' lost track. I also stopped blow-drying and flat-ironing. My length has improved noticeably. It is no longer dry and it feels soft. Scalp feels great too and IDK, I think the white flakies have diminished as well. I'm waiting for AVG to go on sale so in the past 2 washes, I've experimented with putting non-cone condish on my length after the BS and then finishing with the ACV rinse.

So far, the BS and ACV rinse are great. I know that not blow-drying and flat-ironing contributes to my hair feeling better but even after the 1st time I used the BS+ACV rinse, I noticed a difference. The water was dripping so fast off my hair and it never would do that. I've come to the conclusion that for me, cones were sealing my hair too well and my hair wasn't reacting well to that.

During the BS+ACV routine, I had a patch of waxiness underneath the top layer of hair. It was frustrating so I thought if I could maybe use a bit of shampoo and non-cone condish, it would eliminate it. It did BUT, immediately my lengths felt dry again. So note to self, SLS shampoo = too drying.

I'm currently using jojoba oil after on damp hair. I can use about 3-4 drops w/o getting greasy, which is alot.

I have 3 main goals: grow hair longer, learn to love my hair in its natural state and to find a gentle way to clean & maintain my hair. Until I stopped the flat-ironing, I had no idea my hair was as wavy as it was!

Mmm...if my hair was longer, I'd love love love my waves. Right now, I'm a bit past shoulder length with lots of layers so my hair does something different after every wash. Plus the # of updos I can do is limited and everyone here seems to know how to do the most beautiful things to their hair. I do miss having straight hair but only every once in awhile.

Like pp, my waves do something different after every wash! It means it takes me longer to finger comb since I also try to direct the waves a teeny bit at the same time.

Aisha25
March 18th, 2009, 08:49 AM
I would say CO bad for my waves it is too heavy for them. What my hairs love is very diluted shampoo and a light conditioner with honey,my hair loves honey so much. IF I need it usually I do not need conditioner. My waves go from straight top, wavy middle, to spirals then I get straight ends:rolleyes: I hate it. If use alot of honey in my conditioner then I get all spirals everywhere errr:mad: I can touch my hair when drying it doesnt change shape unless they are dry and I do braid.
Like skitts I have fluffy hair too and I love it, looks so full and thick. Come on skitts you know you love it:D:p

Pixna
March 18th, 2009, 09:05 AM
I love my fluffy hair, too, Aisha. I think we are lucky in that way -- even if some of us have fine hair, our waves and fluffiness can make our hair look thicker and fuller.

Aisha25
March 18th, 2009, 09:11 AM
I love my fluffy hair, too, Aisha. I think we are lucky in that way -- even if some of us have fine hair, our waves and fluffiness can make our hair look thicker and fuller.
Yeah it does doesnt it. Espesially after wash and my hair is dry with no oil. Oooooh I get lots of fluff and volume. Once I measured my hair like this and my circumfrence said 6.5 I was like woohooo:disco:

Katla
March 18th, 2009, 09:13 AM
I'm a 2b-ish, but it varies a lot depending on weather, oiliness, how my hair decided to dry after the latest wash, you name it. Plus, my hair is getting heavy enough that my waves don't show as much as they did when it was shorter.

This is a great idea for a thread and I love reading the answers and see how other people handle it.

I was wondering what issues you've experienced in your hair routine? No real big issues, but it can be a bit annoying sometimes not to know how my hair will look once it's dried after a wash. It really has a mind of its own like that :shrug:

What products/routine work best in your hair? I haven't experimented much, but right now I wash it around once a week-ish (every 6-8th day, depending on how it looks and feels) with an allergy-friendly shampoo and conditioner (no-cone, which my hair doesn't seem to mind so far). Outside of that, I use coconut oil as needed, and occasionally almond oil a few hours before I wash it. I air dry it, and use either a wide-toothed comb or my fingers for combing it.

What is your goal? Are you trying to make your hair look more curly? Or are you making the most of your waves? My goal is long, healthy hair (like, I'm sure, 99% of people here ;)). I only keep my hair loose at home or occasionally around family, so my waves never get to show much either way. It's usually kept in a braid or bun where it isn't visible much outside of the little fly-away hairs.

For that matter, do you love or hate your waves? I love them! I wish I was better at working with them and making them look good for the rare times I do keep my hair loose - I love the way it sometimes dries after a wash, but I haven't learned how to make it dry that way on command, and since my hair definitely has a mind of its own sometimes, that's probably an impossible goal.

What is the hardest part of being a wavy/wurly to you? That unpredictability, and the whole 'neither here nor there' factor of it. It's not flat, and doesn't act like it, but it's not really curly, either. It can be annoying sometimes.

JamieLeigh
March 18th, 2009, 09:13 AM
I've only recently learned to embrace my waves, after coming here and looking at some of the amazing pics of other wavies on this site. I always would try to keep it as straight as possible...as you can probably tell from these pics:
Here is my hair when I had just discovered this site...see how straight I kept it?
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=2242&pictureid=27352
And my sig pic was taken in January of this year, after about 3 months on the site, and learning how to better love my waves. There seems to be a big difference to me. And I admit that it makes my ends look a lot thicker when I just let it do what it wants to do.

One thing I've found is that I can't go completely cone-free. If I were to do that, my hair would knot up like crazy. And I can't do nothing-but-cones or my hair would be extremely dry and brittle after awhile. So for me, the mix is the best thing. I do cone-free in the shower, and my deep condish and leave-in are cones. It's just what works best for me. :)

Pixna
March 18th, 2009, 09:17 AM
Wow, that's quite a difference, JamieLeigh!!! I love your waves -- glad you decided to set them free. :D

JamieLeigh
March 18th, 2009, 09:31 AM
Wow, that's quite a difference, JamieLeigh!!! I love your waves -- glad you decided to set them free. :D

Awww, thank you!! :) I'm glad too, and even my family didn't know it was naturally wavy. As long as I've kept my hair throughout my life, that should tell you how long I've been fighting nature!! :p

Katze
March 18th, 2009, 09:56 AM
Well, according to many I am still a straightie, but my hair has wavy "issues" so I think of it as 2a even if not all agree.

I was wondering what issues you've experienced in your hair routine? My hair has a mind of its own for sure! I can never predict if it will be straighter or wavier, though I now know it will never, ever be sleek or smooth. I can't get updos to look tidy to save my life, unless I brush and oil the heck out of "dirty" hair.

What products/routine work best in your hair? I've gone back to regular (1x or so a month) sulfate shampoos, as they help my hair really get "clean." Washing every 5-7 days works well for me, less often the more sulfate shampoo I use. My hair doesn't seem to get "dirty" very fast. Honey works really nicely and I have gone back to more regular SMTs - my hair always looks so much better afterwards. Misting, light oiling, and leave-ins also work well.

I do blowdry a little because I wash after my swims 1-2x a week. But my hair is happier without the curling iron (which I used to use to straighten too) and chemicals and excessive heat frying.

What is your goal? Are you trying to make your hair look more curly? Or are you making the most of your waves? My goal is long healthy hair, but not super long - I would be happy with it at waist and thicker. I want to get rid of as much taper as possible and enhance my waves - my hair has lazy spiral ringlets which I love, but it is in no way curly.

For that matter, do you love or hate your waves? I love them! I love how I can twirl my hair around my fingers while drying and in a few days I have more ringlets.

My hair will never, ever be straight, so I am learning to work with what I have.

What is the hardest part of being a wavy/wurly to you? The messiness. I would really like smooth looking hair, or be able to put it up in a way that looks polished.

Rohele
March 18th, 2009, 10:07 AM
I'm a little more wurly than you are (i've classified myself as 2b/2c, since I do get a few spiral curls), but I'd still say my hair is wavy, not curly.

If I go the curly girl route my hair is a total mess - stringy, gross and frizzy (although I've adapted some of the methods to suit my own hair).

Any sort of plopping and/or scrunching does not help me.

I also have to comb my hair daily or it looks way to tangly.

The CO wash/no cones method works well for me at this point.

So basically what I do at this point is CO wash and use a non cone curl cream, and twirl sections of my hair (with maybe a small amount of scrunching but not much). Then when its dry I comb it (supposedly a no-no for wavies, but like I said it looks gross if I don't), and then define the waves with a little bit of jojoba oil (I twist the waves at the ends again).

I find the most frustrating part of wavy hair is something that someone else mentioned - the fact that it looks absolutely different everyday. I can never tell if I'm going to get sexy loose smooth waves, casual beachy waves or more of a tight curl/wave. That and the fact that I can get really "big" hair from time to time, but hopefully that problem will diminish as it gets longer.

For the most part I'm enjoying my waves now.

Eden Iris
March 18th, 2009, 10:12 AM
My hair is 2a from scalp to ears and becomes wavier, ending in spirals at the ends.

Issues: My hair can veer wildly from fluffy and flying around my head to lying in perfect crunchy ringlets, depending mainly on the humidity and how long ago I've washed it. (My hair loves humidity and behaves better when it's damp out, which is common here, so yay for that.)

Products: Ditching cones was the best thing I ever did for my hair. I use shampoo bars (Camamu), Aubrey Organics conditioner and clarifying shampoo when needed, vinegar rinses, and coconut oil. I also henna, which does not seem to affect the wave pattern.

Goal: My goal is to grow out the shorter layers and broken bits. It's possible that when/if the ends are thicker, I will lose the spirals.

Love: I'm ambivalent about the waves. I think they're pretty, but they also tangle monstrously. I don't make much of an effort to eradicate or accentuate them. I just let my hair be what it wants to be on any given day.

helen2806
March 18th, 2009, 10:25 AM
Mine is pretty wavy all over, although the underneath is wavier than the top. I used to want straight, sleek hair like some of my friends when I was younger but now I have learnt to like having waves. I don't keep my hair wavy all the time - if I comb it while it's damp it will dry quite straight so I do that most times I wash. I usually leave my hair wavy more often in the summer though, as I think that's when the waves tend to look nicest (maybe because of the weather in general, but I always think my hair looks nicer in the sun anyway)

The main problem I have is that my waves don't behave that well, if I leave my hair to dry completely naturally and don't touch it the waves are really uneven and I think it looks awful, so if I'm going to have a wavy day I tend to braid it when it's almost dry because that sorts them out!

I definitely need cones: going cone-free made my hair really tangly and the waviest parts were beginning to get matted which was not pretty!

My goal is to reach waist length, but I am probably going to keep my layers because whenever I've had one-length hair before it has never looked very good, and because my hair is thick I don't get tend to get that mullet-y look you sometimes see.

ETA, like Rohele I've also classified myself as 2b/2c because I get a couple of spirals so might be a bit wavier, but am definitely not a curly girl

Pixna
March 18th, 2009, 11:31 AM
Gosh, I'm looking at the pics of those here who have classified themselves as 2a/2b, 2b, and 2b/2c, and I think my hair is wavier than yours -- and I've classified myself as a 1c/2a (though I used to classify myself as a 2a/2b, and sometimes even a 2b/2c). Hmmm -- I'm wondering if I should change it back to strictly one of the 2s. :confused: :hmm:

mira-chan
March 18th, 2009, 11:49 AM
I'm a 2b, but underside and canopy. My profile picture best shows the wave pattern. It's harder to see in the signature.

I keep an eye on my hair and tailor the wash/ conditioning/ oiling to what it needs at that particular point. I have a picky, sensitive scalp so that influences what I use too. I vary washes and oiling amounts week to week, depending on the weather and how my hair is behaving.

Simple sulfate free shampoo or Indian herbs work best for washing. Silicone free conditioners and leave ins only or conditioning herbs. Fenugreek pack wash works really well as a herbal version of CO. I oil my hair, a lot. It keeps the ends from being too dry and the scalp from producing dry sebum buildup quite so much.

My goal is just trying to make sure I don't look like I've electrocuted myself. Beyond that, as long as my hair feels to be at a good moisture/ strength level, all is ok. I hardly wear it down (a couple of times a year only) so it doesn't really matter how the waves look.

Neither. Pretty wave days are pretty, Einstein hair days are not. Either day I put it up and forget it. They are there, and don't bother me that's it.

Waves are not stable I'd sometimes have a straight chunk of hair next to a wavy one. It's annoying and not too aesthetically pleasing but easy to fix this annoyance by putting it up. Getting the moisture balance correct is a pain at times.

My hair is dry so I treat it a bit more like curly than straight. Though I can't CO as I can't have conditioner on my scalp as it caused irritation. Sulfate shampoo causes irritation too.

helen2806
March 18th, 2009, 11:58 AM
Gosh, I'm looking at the pics of those here who have classified themselves as 2a/2b, 2b, and 2b/2c, and I think my hair is wavier than yours -- and I've classified myself as a 1c/2a (though I used to classify myself as a 2a/2b, and sometimes even a 2b/2c). Hmmm -- I'm wondering if I should change it back to strictly one of the 2s. :confused: :hmm:

tbh most of my pictures are of my hair when it's been combed to dry straight, but I should probably add some wavy pictures too! Also I just looked at your pics and think you look like you're in the 2s to me :)

Pixna
March 18th, 2009, 01:31 PM
Thanks, Helen. Maybe I'll switch back to 2a/2b for now, and possibly 2b or 2b/2c eventually. It's so confusing!! By the way, your siggy pic is divine. I really like your color and hemline!

Omens
March 18th, 2009, 04:18 PM
My hair has a mind all its own. It kind of just does its own thing, and I've come to accept that that is simply how it is. Sometimes I love my curly/wavy hair, but other times it is downright annoying.

Since growing it long, the top, I'd say...foot of my hair growth, is almost straight (very poofy though) without product. Then the ends go into very defined spiral curls. Yet when I use some sort of product to help with the frizziness, it gets curls almost everywhere, but no spirals. It's the strangest thing.

I always brush, but only right before a shower and right after. My hair gets knotted quite easily, so if I go even a day without brushing I'll spend a good ten minutes detangling and I wind up losing a lot of hair. I can't brush it dry if I'm intending to go somewhere...because I tend to get a lion mane. :D

plainjanegirl
March 18th, 2009, 04:46 PM
I've only recently learned to embrace my waves, after coming here and looking at some of the amazing pics of other wavies on this site. I always would try to keep it as straight as possible...as you can probably tell from these pics:
Here is my hair when I had just discovered this site...see how straight I kept it?
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=2242&pictureid=27352
And my sig pic was taken in January of this year, after about 3 months on the site, and learning how to better love my waves. There seems to be a big difference to me. And I admit that it makes my ends look a lot thicker when I just let it do what it wants to do.

One thing I've found is that I can't go completely cone-free. If I were to do that, my hair would knot up like crazy. And I can't do nothing-but-cones or my hair would be extremely dry and brittle after awhile. So for me, the mix is the best thing. I do cone-free in the shower, and my deep condish and leave-in are cones. It's just what works best for me. :)

So how do you go from that straight to your pretty waves? Were you using a blowdryer or flat iron to get it straight or what exactly?
What kind of deep condish and leave in do you use? I am still trying to find the right mix for my hair.

savi
March 18th, 2009, 05:07 PM
I'm among the mixed 2's also. Varying from the strong 2b in the underlayer to 1c around face/crown area.
It used to be a pain to deal with when I didn't know how to handle the waves. The 2b wouldn't tame no matter what,that one strong strand in the back of my head especially, even though the rest was combed straight. Now I don't really mind, except when humidity strikes.

Mostly that my hair is rather dry and the texture isn't even. I try to scrunch it all wavy, or damp bun so the texture looks straight. And moisture enough. The frizziness and fluffyness can also be annoying, but oilings seem to keep that under control for me. (Well, dry oiling with some coconut oil weighs it down some.)

I'm a mostly CO washer, I've slipped from that routine a bit, but sulfate free shampoos seem good too. I don't use 'cones, because they didn't suit my hair. Oilings are nice too.

I'm mostly trying to keep the hair feeling good, and health; letting it do what it does best. And it really isn't "neither here nor there" :laugh:

RancheroTheBee
March 18th, 2009, 05:22 PM

Avoiding tangles, poofiness, trying to get the waves and curls to match up.

I've actually had a lot of success with 'cones, CWC and coconut oil. Stuff that starts with 'c', really.

I'd say I'm more partial to the waves in my hair than anything else. They look a little less drastic.

I like them when they behave. :)

Elphie
March 18th, 2009, 05:41 PM
With regards to being wavy, I've noticed that being silicone free increases my waves. If I put any silicone products in my hair it becomes very straight with little effort. Conditioners that contain shea butter make my hair wave even more.

I stick to mainly silicone free products. I like my coconut suave and my Palmer's Olive oil s/c. I usually CWC twice a week and CO once. I use coconut oil on my ends when my hair is wet. I don't use any other leave-ins.

I like being in-between. It's not terribly hard to lose my waves with a change in conditioner and a little damp bunning and scrunching enhances them.

Most days I love them. They're not always as cooperative as I would like! They add volume to my hair no matter which way I wear it. I don't think there is anything hard about it.

K_Angel
March 19th, 2009, 12:08 AM
Thanks, Helen. Maybe I'll switch back to 2a/2b for now, and possibly 2b or 2b/2c eventually. It's so confusing!! By the way, your siggy pic is divine. I really like your color and hemline!
When I was over at the Naturally Curly site, one of the things they seemed to distinguish between a 2a/b and a 2c and above, was amount of frizz. I think, from what I was reading, that most 2a's don't have frizz at all, 2b's maybe a really small amount and then above that starts the strong considerations in regards to frizz control. What do all you Wurly/Wavies say about that estimation? Does it hold true for you?

K_Angel
March 19th, 2009, 12:23 AM
I was thinking... maybe we could post pics (celebs, or lovely LHC heads!) :) And sort of come up with a "definition" for the different 2s (along with some written descriptions of usual characteristics of that 2)? Maybe this has already been done? If so, I'm very sorry. If not, it might give everyone the ability to type their 2 hair easier? Just a thought.... :shrug:

P.s. If you do think this is a good idea, I'm sorry, but I'd have to have help to put them in one email or edit the first post to add it there? I don't even have an avatar, because I don't know how yet... :o

helen2806
March 19th, 2009, 05:34 AM

thank you! :D

Pixna
March 19th, 2009, 06:34 AM
When I was over at the Naturally Curly site, one of the things they seemed to distinguish between a 2a/b and a 2c and above, was amount of frizz. I think, from what I was reading, that most 2a's don't have frizz at all, 2b's maybe a really small amount and then above that starts the strong considerations in regards to frizz control. What do all you Wurly/Wavies say about that estimation? Does it hold true for you?

Interesting concept. Well, I've always had a LOT of frizz. But trying to be a CG is way too much work for me, and it is just not possible without a fair amount of effort and gel. It is much, much easier for me to comb my hair straight and let the waves just set in as it air dries. When I use a good conditioner or a leave-in, my frizz stays under control. I've almost got it licked now. If frizz is the determining factor, then I'm definitely a 2b leaning toward a 2c. Nevertheless, there are parts of my hair that are almost straight, which is why I reevaluated my hair type. :shrug:

I was under the impression (from who knows where) that the length between waves/curls is what determines category, along with the sproing factor (or maybe that's just for curlies).

Geez, being a wavy sure is complication, isn't it?! :justy:

K_Angel
March 19th, 2009, 06:48 AM
Interesting concept. Well, I've always had a LOT of frizz. But trying to be a CG is way too much work for me, and it is just not possible without a fair amount of effort and gel. It is much, much easier for me to comb my hair straight and let the waves just set in as it air dries. When I use a good conditioner or a leave-in, my frizz stays under control. I've almost got it licked now. If frizz is the determining factor, then I'm definitely a 2b leaning toward a 2c. Nevertheless, there are parts of my hair that are almost straight, which is why I reevaluated my hair type. :shrug:

I was under the impression (from who knows where) that the length between waves/curls is what determines category, along with the sproing factor (or maybe that's just for curlies).

Geez, being a wavy sure is complication, isn't it?! :justy:
I guess I was writing before thinking. :doh: I think what I meant to say is that one of the issues that seemed to separate the different 2s was the frizz factor. You're absolutely right that other factors are the true determinations.

I'm just trying to sort it all out. :confused:

I think when I first started to be a wavy I must have been like a 1c or something... because anything I did to my hair would quickly take the wave out of it and it looked straight. And I really didn't have to change my hair care routine.

Now, it's changed where no matter what I do with it, it always air dries wavy. :shrug: Don't get me wrong, I love the change. Just have to learn from all of you wavies what is the best routine for my hair. :flower:

KaeleyAnne
March 19th, 2009, 07:15 AM
I am a 2a with one strand down the back/underside of hair that is a 2b. Goofy, I know.
I'm either 2a or 2b, depending on what I've used to wash my hair; I think I'm closer to 2b than 2a. My baby hairs like to spiral, so they are 2c.

Although my hair liked the moisturizing aspect of CO, that routine weighed down my hair and suppressed my waves. Shampoo and conditioner is often too drying and causes frizz, unless I use heavy cones. My hair can take or leave cones, depending on the wash routine. Anti-frizz serums worked some, but changing the way I washed my hair worked better.

Right now I'm using catnip, which is working really well for me. For the most part, I'm using a catnip-only routine. Every 3-4 washes, I use baking soda with an ACV rinse before the catnip, but I'm experimenting with switching entirely to catnip-only. Catnip makes my hair really soft and allows the waves and curls to come out more. Right now I'm not using any leave-in product.

Although I'd love to have curlier hair, I'm really starting to appreciate my waves - I think they're less work/trouble and in general more forgiving than curls. I'd rather enjoy what I have instead of trying to make my hair do something else. Overall, my goal is for long, healthy, wavy hair. I'd like classic length hair, but I'm not sure if my hair will taper too much at that length for my liking (or if it will even grow that long). One reason I'm using the catnip is because it's supposed to have hair-strengthening/spit-end reducing effects.

I love my waves. I've never wanted straight hair, so I've always embraced my waves.

Definitely the frizz, especially on high humidity days.

KaeleyAnne
March 19th, 2009, 07:23 AM

If frizz was the determining factor for separating out the 2's, then I would be a solid 2c rather than 2a/2b. :) So I don't think frizz has much of a part in separating out the 2's.

I go by the LHC determination of 2a having stretched-out waves, 2b having waves similar to braid waves, and 2c having a few spirals mixed in with the waves.

Pixna
March 19th, 2009, 08:48 AM
If frizz was the determining factor for separating out the 2's, then I would be a solid 2c rather than 2a/2b. :) So I don't think frizz has much of a part in separating out the 2's.

I go by the LHC determination of 2a having stretched-out waves, 2b having waves similar to braid waves, and 2c having a few spirals mixed in with the waves.

That's what I was going by, too, KaeleyAnne. From the looks of your hair typing pics, we're are almost twins -- well, ya know, if my hair was as long as yours. Can't wait until I can match your length! Your hair and hemline are outstanding!

Rohele
March 19th, 2009, 09:51 AM

Ugh - its confusing to me too :confused: - now I'm starting to think about re-evaluating my classification as well. My waves seem more stretched out than most people who classify themselves as 2b and 2c, but they also seem to be a very deep wave and have a fair bit of sproing compared to 1c and 2a people. I've also got ringlets forming at the front (you can sort of see them on my avatar pic). That plus the fact that it looks different day to day makes its hard. I've definitely got a lot of frizz to control.

Pixna
March 19th, 2009, 10:40 AM
I dunno, Rohele. You look like a solid 2b/2c to me -- and your spirals are magnificent!

JamieLeigh
March 19th, 2009, 01:02 PM
So how do you go from that straight to your pretty waves? Were you using a blowdryer or flat iron to get it straight or what exactly?
What kind of deep condish and leave in do you use? I am still trying to find the right mix for my hair.

I replied to this on your profile page...but I'll do it here too, in case anyone else is curious. I just finger-combed when it was damp-dry, to make it straighter. I didn't use any heat at all for it. (I'm afraid to, with it being this fine!! :rolleyes:) I just leave it alone and let it dry naturally without molesting it at all to get it wavy. My deep condish usually swings between Aussie Hair Insurance spray, and Infusium-23 leave-in. Neither of those weigh down my hair or make it greasy, so I'm pretty happy with that. :)

Babyfine
March 19th, 2009, 02:44 PM
I'm a 2aFi/ii. I actually LIKE my waves-they make my hair look like so much more than it is. I have to deal with frizz in humidity. I always wondered why so much frizz- I thought it was because of damage or because my hair is so fine.
I rarely wear braids in public for that reason-as my hair compresses down to nothing in a braid/ponytail. so I either wear loose/half ups or a french twist or bun when I'm out.
However- I classified myself as a 1c when I first came here- I blew dry with a round brush to smooth my hair out- and didn't really know I was a wavy!!-Prior to that I permed for 20 years to get volume and big hair. So I didn't even know I had waves! Now I air dry and CWC about twice a week, trying to avoid sulfates.
I use 'cones in moderation. And the waves came out! I do have tangle issues- probably because my hair is very fine-especially if I wear my hair down all day. So I keep it up most of the time to avoid tangle issues at the end of the day.

InTheCity
March 19th, 2009, 05:48 PM
As a kid, I had ringlets. As a teenager, I fought and fought them with flat irons and even relaxer.

Nowadays, I'm solidly "wavy" with the occasional stray piece air-drying ringlet. I "quit" heat nearly three months ago and my hardest struggle is loving my texture. It's not curly enough to wear curly and ends up massively frizzy if I air dry loose.
So I play around with variations of drying in a bun or some kind of twist. This way, the top is flat and smooth on my head, but the ends are wavy.

Knowing that when my hair is wet ringlets pop up everywhere, I'm dying to try some kind of curl hair product. I hate gel, spray or anything that makes hair stiff. My fav and only product for years has been Aveda's hang straight. It does wonders for calming frizz and making hair shiny - but it feels like there is zero product in your hair. But as in it's name, its made for hair to be straighter. Now that I'm trying to embrace my waves, I'd love to know if anyone has any suggestions - a non hardening product that promotes curls?

Did I go off topic? I got too excited here!

Goals - growth and proving myself wrong about actually being able to grow. Better hair health and acceptance of texture.

Rohele
March 19th, 2009, 05:51 PM
Now that I'm trying to embrace my waves, I'd love to know if anyone has any suggestions - a non hardening product that promotes curls?

Maybe try a cream product instead of a gel? I have better luck with curl creams - I find gel makes my hair way to crunchy (even if I scrunch the crunch like you're supposed to, they still make my hair kind of stiff).

Tangles
March 19th, 2009, 05:57 PM
As a kid, I had ringlets. As a teenager, I fought and fought them with flat irons and even relaxer.

Nowadays, I'm solidly "wavy" with the occasional stray piece air-drying ringlet. I "quit" heat nearly three months ago and my hardest struggle is loving my texture. It's not curly enough to wear curly and ends up massively frizzy if I air dry loose.
So I play around with variations of drying in a bun or some kind of twist. This way, the top is flat and smooth on my head, but the ends are wavy.

Knowing that when my hair is wet ringlets pop up everywhere, I'm dying to try some kind of curl hair product. I hate gel, spray or anything that makes hair stiff. My fav and only product for years has been Aveda's hang straight. It does wonders for calming frizz and making hair shiny - but it feels like there is zero product in your hair. But as in it's name, its made for hair to be straighter. Now that I'm trying to embrace my waves, I'd love to know if anyone has any suggestions - a non hardening product that promotes curls?

Did I go off topic? I got too excited here!

Goals - growth and proving myself wrong about actually being able to grow. Better hair health and acceptance of texture.

I have the same desire to encourage more curl without the crunchiness.

As a kid, I had these ringlets that formed with no effort, even when my mom brushed my hair out. Now, I'm pretty much a 2a, b when it's humid or my hair is shorter.

I alternate between cones and no cones. I usually use a sulfate shampoo, as my scalp is very oily, and a light cone free dish, like Suave. I oil sometimes but it can make my hair stringy and limp. Today I randomly used some of my old coney serum, and it made my hair like 1b straight together with the fact that there was very little humidity today.

I'm looking forward to my hair getting longer, even though it gets harder to make it hold a curl. I'm just really frustrated lately by 1) my constantly itchy/greasy scalp; 2) splits that come out of nowhere; and 3) the lack of volume and softness/pliancy.

Rohele
March 19th, 2009, 05:57 PM
I dunno, Rohele. You look like a solid 2b/2c to me -- and your spirals are magnificent!

Thank you pixna. :) I've never actually tried drying my hair with no product for an "official" hairtyping (I'm too scared of the frizz, lol), so I just gave my best guess - I know I get the spirals no matter what I do to it though.

Elphie
March 19th, 2009, 06:37 PM
I think, from what I was reading, that most 2a's don't have frizz at all, 2b's maybe a really small amount and then above that starts the strong considerations in regards to frizz control. What do all you Wurly/Wavies say about that estimation? Does it hold true for you?

I don't know how valid this is, but I don't have an issue with frizz. On shampoo wash days, my canopy can be a bit floaty, but I wouldn't describe it as frizzy.

sneakybea
March 19th, 2009, 07:19 PM
Hey there! I'm some kind of a 2a, I think, although I always find it hard to be sure. My main issue seems to be not doing things that will weigh my hair down and make the waves disappear. When I am styling my hair, if I brush it too much it will go flat, and also if I use conditioner that is too heavy it will wear my hair down. My hair seems to do pretty well with cones, so I periodically clarify it to prevent buildup. What seems to help the most with giving me volume, and even encouraging thick curls, is to sleep with my hair in a scrunchy bun on the top of my head. I love having waves, although I loved it even more when I had some spirals back at bsl. It might be the length that has made them go away, but I didn't have curls when I was a kid, so it might just be a change in texture.
I should also note that I have the kind of hair that looks really full and fluffy when it's down, but makes a smallish bun or braid---anyone else have this issue?

Katze
March 20th, 2009, 05:15 AM
I was thinking... maybe we could post pics (celebs, or lovely LHC heads!) :) And sort of come up with a "definition" for the different 2s (along with some written descriptions of usual characteristics of that 2)? Maybe this has already been done? If so, I'm very sorry. If not, it might give everyone the ability to type their 2 hair easier? Just a thought.... :shrug:

P.s. If you do think this is a good idea, I'm sorry, but I'd have to have help to put them in one email or edit the first post to add it there? I don't even have an avatar, because I don't know how yet... :o

I am a complete photo idiot too so I can't help on this, but think the idea would be lovely. As a 'barely wavy' who was straight-haired as a kid, I have long struggled with my hair's texture and wave. In fact, before LHC, I thought my hair just 'didn't behave'! Learning about waviness has helped a lot.

There does seem to be room for subjective classification here. While my hair is 'straight' in parts, it forms ringlets and spirals in others, so pictures from me might in fact be misleading - as I suspect is the case with others, including the visual hairtyping guide.

I always think of 2a as lightly wavy, 2b as clearly wavy, 2c as very wavy almost curly. My BF is around a 2c (I think) and he has beautiful 'boingy' ringlets on some ends of his hair, but not all.

misskita
March 20th, 2009, 07:01 AM
Hello I have been a lurker on this site for quite some time. I have decided to actively grow my hair and as part of that I have decided to start posting and playing with you guys. I recently posted a non product, non combed, air dryed photo of my hair and was classified as a 2b. :)

I was wondering what issues you've experienced in your hair routine? No issues really.

What products/routine work best in your hair? My hair loves CO washes. I use Suave Tangerine for the wash and Biolage Deep Conditioning Balm for my conditioner. I will use regular shampoo when my hair starts to feel lifeless, about 2 times a month. I am starting to experiment with some aloe in my wash, and so far my hair is loving it. MY hair adores aloe, honey, and conditioner. A SMT does wonders for me. Also Henna, it has been a life saver and my hair has no dead ends and hardly any frizz. Most people that see me say I was born to be a red head since I have very pail skin. So luckily henna works for me. One last thing, I am learning to wear my hair up, I love my texture, but want to protect the length. I only wear it down on special ocassions, and in the evening when my hubby asks me to.

What is your goal? Are you trying to make your hair look more curly? Or are you making the most of your waves? I am making the most of my texture. My hair was stick straight my whole life, I only started getting waves about 2 years ago. I had a very stressful event in my life and it seemed to change my hair texture. I just hope they are here to stay.

For that matter, do you love or hate your waves? I love my waves. I hope they are here to stay.

What is the hardest part of being a wavy/wurly to you? Nothing really. I enjoy every minute of it.

http://i568.photobucket.com/albums/ss127/kitafreeman/HairType2.jpg

Pixna
March 20th, 2009, 08:27 AM
I should also note that I have the kind of hair that looks really full and fluffy when it's down, but makes a smallish bun or braid---anyone else have this issue?

Sneakybea, I have a problem with heavy conditioners and product weighing down my hair and making it go flat. My individual strands are on the finer side, so although my hair can look fluffy anf full when down, my braid is not thick.

Katze, I also always think of 2a as slightly wavy, 2b as clearly wavy, 2c as very wavy almost curly. I think that is a very clear and easy way to classify the 2s! (Can we record this somewhere?)

MissKita, your waves are gorgeous! Based on the above definition, I would definitely agree that you are a (very lovely) 2b.

K_Angel
March 20th, 2009, 08:36 AM
Sneakybea, I have a problem with heavy conditioners and product weighing down my hair and making it go flat. My individual strands are on the finer side, so although my hair can look fluffy anf full when down, my braid is not thick.

Katze, I also always think of 2a as slightly wavy, 2b as clearly wavy, 2c as very wavy almost curly. I think that is a very clear and easy way to classify the 2s! (Can we record this somewhere?)

MissKita, your waves are gorgeous! Based on the above definition, I would definitely agree that you are a (very lovely) 2b.
Maybe I can put it as an edit in my first post????? I'll try that. :)

Pixna
March 20th, 2009, 08:43 AM
Thanks, K Angel! :)

K_Angel
March 20th, 2009, 08:47 AM

Should I add this definition to the first post????

K_Angel
March 20th, 2009, 08:50 AM
Thanks, K Angel! :)

You're very welcome. :)

It's now been added to the first post. And if there are any more suggestions to put in,
I'll be happy to add those too. :flower:

K_Angel
March 23rd, 2009, 04:13 AM
What product(s) do 2a/b's use most often to moisturize your hair?

Do you have problems with needing protein? If so, what do you use for that?

Pixna
March 23rd, 2009, 08:01 AM
I just use Aubrey Organics products -- mainly their shampoos and conditioners. I find that I need little else beyond them to keep my hair healthy, tangle free, and shiny. I don't pay a lot of attention to protein content. I use the Green Tea line as well as the Honeysuckle Rose and Islands Naturals. They all work great and smell heavenly.

UP Lisa
November 14th, 2011, 01:52 PM
My biggest struggle is with tangles. Also, the fact that I have an oily scalp that is probably never going to go away.

ladonna
November 14th, 2011, 02:01 PM
I have no idea how to make my hair all the same. It's curly underneath, then the middle is wavy, the top is straight because I highlighted it. I just keep it bun so it straighten's since I don't know what to do with it. And my layers give me a very square head when I let my hair curl, so maybe when the dumb layer are at shoulder length it will look nice?

holothuroidea
November 14th, 2011, 02:19 PM
I have my hair typed as a 1c but judging from the posts in this thread I should probably move up to a 2a.

It's difficult for me to type my hair because it's so short and the wave pattern doesn't get a chance to "finish." The last time my hair was long, it was 1a. I had a baby, cut my hair and BOOM waves. Crazy! I have not let my hair grow past mid-neck since then. Since my hair is so fine, my waves are really wispy and I love them. I always look like I've been caught in a breeze. :D

When I first discovered I had waves I did everything in my power to try to make them wavier and curlier. Nothing worked. They straighten out easily but the only way to make them wavy is to leave them alone.

I avoid things that weigh my hair down because I like my waves. So no conditioner and no heavy oils (I use coconut and jojoba and it doesn't affect them). Gels, creams, waxes and basically anything that's not water or light oil kills them dead. I think it's because of my babyfine texture.

The waves at my temples curve around my ears and are pretty small in diameter, like sidewalk-chalk diameter. They look like they might turn to ringlets on a humid day if I grew them out.

The plus side to fine wavy hair is that it never gets frizzy. Frizz is not in my hair's vocabulary.