PDA

View Full Version : Why didn't I try this bun before....?

Hypnotica
April 1st, 2008, 01:13 PM
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2312/2380167075_e801802d07_m.jpg

Fuzzy pic, but I think I will wear this to the funeral tomorrow. What do you think?

Remke
April 1st, 2008, 01:18 PM
Wow! Supercool! How did you do that?

SHADOWSCODE46
April 1st, 2008, 01:26 PM
Indeed! Very regal but complicated looking!

Hypnotica
April 1st, 2008, 01:27 PM
It's a flipped-over bun (I think).

Really easy, make a cinnabun and flip it over. Done! Depending on were you start, it comes out looking differently.

Kelpie
April 1st, 2008, 01:30 PM
That looks really good. Any chance of instructions? ;)

eadwine
April 1st, 2008, 01:30 PM
Looking really cool indeed!!

Kelpie
April 1st, 2008, 01:32 PM
Oh you beat me to it, thanks.

kimki
April 1st, 2008, 01:39 PM
It looks really nice. :)

Peggy E.
April 1st, 2008, 01:47 PM
Graydog sends out instructions on how to make this bun with their hair toys - and I was as thrilled with the bun as I was happy with the hairtoy! I wear this style now more than any other, as it's quick, easy, shows off combs well and looks impressive.

I've taken this one step further - when forming the cinnamon bun, then folding it up, I fold it up once again to tuck the bun down in. It's a super way to make a sturdy, comfortable Gibson tuck!

A truly versatile style to add to your repertoire.

Tristessa
April 1st, 2008, 02:12 PM
Wow, how gorgeous is that? Hypnotica thank you for sharing the picture. Another bun for me to try to learn. I've never seen that before at all.

Himesama
April 1st, 2008, 02:15 PM
I have to agree. It looks very elegant, and the description sounds like it would be pretty easy. What more could you ask for in an updo?

Curlsgirl
April 1st, 2008, 02:16 PM
I have done this before but I can't get a stick to hold it. Maybe I need to tweak a bit. Looks lovely on you!

kissedbyfyre
April 1st, 2008, 02:17 PM
Love that! Can't figure out how to do it though, I keep ending up with a figure 8. :confused:

Hypnotica
April 1st, 2008, 02:28 PM
Love that! Can't figure out how to do it though, I keep ending up with a figure 8. :confused:

You need to make the bun loose, otherwise you can't fold all the coils .

eresh
April 1st, 2008, 02:55 PM
Wow, it really elegant!
I'll try it when my head stops pounding.

CurlyNinja
April 1st, 2008, 02:57 PM
Which way do you flip it?

cuddledumplin
April 1st, 2008, 03:04 PM
That gorgeous!

Nat242
April 1st, 2008, 04:34 PM
Beautiful bun! Thanks for sharing, I'll have to try that. I'm sorry to hear that you've lost someone.

-- Natalie

DrkAngel
April 1st, 2008, 04:57 PM
Cool! I never thought of flipping the cinnamon bun! Isnt it great... how many options there are? :lol:

longinthehair
April 1st, 2008, 05:06 PM
When I want to have the most elegant style, this is my "elegant standby" I have been using this a lot.. I think I remember Peggy E. giving great instructions for it - that's how I learned about it.

capelli lunghi
April 1st, 2008, 05:06 PM
I have done this before but I can't get a stick to hold it. Maybe I need to tweak a bit. Looks lovely on you!
Make sure you stick the stick/fork in the side you folded the bun towards.. NOT the smooth side.. like her pic above.. stick it in the OTHER side!

I love making this and variations.. it is lovely!

Chamomile betty
April 1st, 2008, 05:19 PM
I think it's really beautiful.

AprilElf
April 1st, 2008, 05:27 PM
Sorry you have to go to a funeral, Hypnotica, but the style looks really lovely. :)

Anje
April 1st, 2008, 05:55 PM
Forgot about that one. It looks gorgeous on you!

I may have to try that in the next few days.

helanek
April 1st, 2008, 08:32 PM
still do not understand how to flip it over... any help?

Anje
April 1st, 2008, 08:41 PM
Once you've got a cinnamon bun, kinda tuck the ends "in front" of it (where they'd be visible if you weren't going to flip it). Un-twist the whole thing a little (that is, if your bun is wrapped counter-clockwise, turn the whole thing clockwise) if it needs some loosening. Then, trying to keep the thing intact, lift the bottom edge up and shove the top down. Literally turn the bun over, like it's a donut on a plate, to steal Spidermom's phrase. Secure like you would a normal cinnamon bun.

Wow, that sounds convoluted. We may require a video.

joyinc
April 1st, 2008, 09:20 PM
that looks awesome!

if i can get it to work, i'd be happy to make a video :)

(but thats a big if lol, i'm all thumbs)

helanek
April 1st, 2008, 09:27 PM
please post a video! :)

darkwaves
April 1st, 2008, 09:40 PM
Very, very pretty! Thanks for posting.

Hypnotica
April 2nd, 2008, 01:21 AM
Which way do you flip it?

That depends on were my bun has started. I kind of "feel" how to flip it.

Sorry you have to go to a funeral, Hypnotica, but the style looks really lovely. :)

This is an "easy" funeral for me, but they are never fun...

sapphire-o
April 2nd, 2008, 01:42 AM
I did it! I had to add 3 hair scroos to stablize the bun. It looks very elegant. :) A bit uncomfortable because my hair is not soft and easily pinned down, but I think I can tolerate it for a while if there's the right occasion. :D

willowcandra
April 2nd, 2008, 02:24 AM
very pretty. I will have to try it in future

levelek
April 2nd, 2008, 05:51 AM
Thank you for posting this!

ETA: OK I need help here please. The closest I get here has the top coil sticking away from the rest of my hair by half an inch. When you make the cinnabun, do you make the whole thing loose - ie after you've started coiling it - or just the placement of the bun? And do you place the coils on top of each other before flipping over, or around each other?

Waaah.

Amnell
April 2nd, 2008, 06:42 AM
I like this style, its so beautiful
Thank you for the idea

Hypnotica
April 2nd, 2008, 12:27 PM
Thank you for posting this!

ETA: OK I need help here please. The closest I get here has the top coil sticking away from the rest of my hair by half an inch. When you make the cinnabun, do you make the whole thing loose - ie after you've started coiling it - or just the placement of the bun? And do you place the coils on top of each other before flipping over, or around each other?

Waaah.

I'm home again and totally pooped. It's draining to visit a funeral, but I did have a lot of fun too. The bun held beautifully and I got tons of compliments too.

To answer your question: Coil the bun loose, end with sticking the ends at front so they will be under the whole thing when flipped.

Loose the whole thing by rotating the whole bun. Then grab the whole bun (all coils) with both hands and flip it over.

Your desciption sounds to me that you make the first coil a bit too tight and that you can correct by rotating the bun.

Blueneko
April 2nd, 2008, 01:21 PM
Gorgeous!

Awesome!

Happily jealous!

My hair is too short and too fat. :(

FB
April 2nd, 2008, 01:26 PM
OK I am jealous your bun is beautiful. I wish I could do my hair up and it look as good as yours does. I am just not talented enough on getting my hair to go up good. Any advice on easy up do's for dummies???

Ylliria
April 2nd, 2008, 01:51 PM
Just gorgeous! I'm going to give it a try!

Sherri
April 2nd, 2008, 02:05 PM
I also apparently need video for this one. I just can't visualize this in my head.

Hypnotica
April 2nd, 2008, 02:10 PM
OK I am jealous your bun is beautiful. I wish I could do my hair up and it look as good as yours does. I am just not talented enough on getting my hair to go up good. Any advice on easy up do's for dummies???

I know this is only gonna frustrate you more, but my main advice: Practise.

I also apparently need video for this one. I just can't visualize this in my head.

Calling all with a decent camera - can someone do a tutorial? edwine? :D

Sherri
April 2nd, 2008, 02:19 PM
I kind of see it when I stare at the pic. It looks as though it is folded over instead of flipped up. Does that make any sence or am i :crazyq:

ladiosaRosa
April 2nd, 2008, 02:24 PM
Thank you for posting this Hypnotica.. I haven't been inspired about an updo in a long time. I will try soon. Wish me luck.

sapphire-o
April 2nd, 2008, 02:41 PM
Here's my attempt. I put it in my album. Just make a beebutt bun, lift all coils upward against your scalp and secure with sticks or fork. I had to put a hairscroo in the middle of it to keep the middle coil from sticking out. If you have hair softer than steel wires you probably don't need to do that. :)

You can see from my picture the order of the coils. Top to bottom: coil 1 is the top and biggest, coil 2 is smaller, coil 3 is very small, base of the bun / ponytail. :)

http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n39/sapphire-o/Hairtoy%20challenge/apr01-flippedbun.jpg

MissHair
April 2nd, 2008, 03:15 PM
It looks very glamurous!!

SSLT4
April 2nd, 2008, 03:24 PM
It looks great !!!

joyinc
April 2nd, 2008, 10:08 PM
arrgh! i cant get it to work!

i'll try again tomorrow!

prosperina
April 2nd, 2008, 10:34 PM
I do this a lot too, and my hair is about bsl, but really thick for a lot of other updos, and not long enough for some. Mine holds better with a fork than a stick.

walkinglady
April 2nd, 2008, 11:31 PM
I can not get my hair in a flattering french twist so I love to wear it this way when I want an elegant look.

zelah
April 2nd, 2008, 11:36 PM
I love how it looks! It's going to take me a long time of practicing to get that. I just recently learned how to do just a regular bun! :eek:

CatstyleMBelleK
April 2nd, 2008, 11:38 PM
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2312/2380167075_e801802d07_m.jpg

Fuzzy pic, but I think I will wear this to the funeral tomorrow. What do you think?

Totally cute & easy! I'm totally stealing this from you! :bowtome:

CatstyleMBelleK
April 2nd, 2008, 11:39 PM
Here's my attempt. I put it in my album. Just make a beebutt bun, lift all coils upward against your scalp and secure with sticks or fork. I had to put a hairscroo in the middle of it to keep the middle coil from sticking out. If you have hair softer than steel wires you probably don't need to do that. :)

You can see from my picture the order of the coils. Top to bottom: coil 1 is the top and biggest, coil 2 is smaller, coil 3 is very small, base of the bun / ponytail. :)

http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n39/sapphire-o/Hairtoy%20challenge/apr01-flippedbun.jpg

*gasp* Ohhhhh yours looks killer too! LOVE IT!

Hypnotica
April 3rd, 2008, 03:55 AM
Totally cute & easy! I'm totally stealing this from you! :bowtome:

It's extremly comfortable!

joyinc
April 3rd, 2008, 09:09 AM
I give up... it looks awesome, but i officially cant get this one to work :(

Kittee
April 3rd, 2008, 09:16 AM
I got it to work this morning. :) I'll have to pop up a pic!

helanek
April 3rd, 2008, 10:51 AM
joyinc - i cannot either... still counting on somebody posting a picture. :o

LuXious
April 3rd, 2008, 11:54 AM
It's a flipped-over bun (I think).

Really easy, make a cinnabun and flip it over. Done! Depending on were you start, it comes out looking differently.
Wow! I can do this with a two-year-old bouncing in my lap. Easy yet complicated-looking is correct. Thanks a "bun"ch!

Tapioca
April 3rd, 2008, 05:03 PM
I keep reminding myself to give this a try sometime. It looks so classy!

Poolsoflaughter
April 3rd, 2008, 05:31 PM
I'm wearing my hair up like that right now! It's so easy, and adds to my too-short of a list of updo's I can do.

ladiosaRosa
April 4th, 2008, 10:15 AM
Thank you for posting this Hypnotica.. I haven't been inspired about an updo in a long time. I will try soon. Wish me luck.

I tried this a few times right after I wrote the 'thank you' post. I was not at all successful. I couldn't keep my hair pulled back evenly in the final 'do....; it was unevenly 'poofy' here and there. I was very unhappy. But, the next morning I tried it again but started out with a 3/4 part to 2-strand twists held with mini-Max's either side of my head, and then to the Flipped Up Cinnamon. It doesn't look nearly as beautiful as other's here, as I don't have enough hair to make more than 1 1/2 coils before I thin out to fairy tale ends. Also, I had to hold it with either a Ficcare Max or Beak....either works well. But, I'm very pleased with the results for me. It gives me a very nice profile. So again, thank you.

happylynngilmer
April 4th, 2008, 10:31 AM
Thanks a "bun"ch!

Very nice pun, luXious!

I'm so bummed that i can't do this style! My hair does not do cinn buns OR bee butts depsite having the length. Sigh, maybe one day!

It is gorgeous!

levelek
April 4th, 2008, 03:59 PM
Thank you for all the help! Sadly I still can't produce your beautiful buns. I took some educational shots in case other people can relate :) My attempt at sapphire-o's version was too hideous to post even in this category :)

1. The flipped-over bun - insecure version with escaping top coil that I stabbed in place with the stick, and hair bulking out in weird ways at the sides (it might not show here, but it looked bad from the front).

http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff17/levelek/flipoverback.jpg

2. The same bun with looser coils - a disaster, I think we can agree

http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff17/levelek/looseflipover.jpg

3. The same bun, placed lower - the shape was totally gone, and the first thing that popped into my mind was Olive Oil (Popeye's sweetheart, not the stuff we pour on our heads)

http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff17/levelek/flipover2.jpg

I wonder if people with thicker hair might find this style more difficult?

Sorry for the poor quality of the shots.

Aelith
April 4th, 2008, 05:51 PM
That is gorgeous and really shows off your beautiful hair color!

sapphire-o
April 4th, 2008, 07:30 PM
Oh you just have a lot of hair. Even I couldn't pin it down with just one stick. I think I might need two hair forks if I have your hair. :)

Elfling
April 4th, 2008, 08:29 PM
I had the same problem with weird poofs at the sides; looked pretty from the side but weird from the front. This'll definitely take some practice but I love the look.

levelek
April 5th, 2008, 01:29 PM
Thanks Aelith if that was meant for me :) That's just the way my hair looks in that particular lighting. The colour in my avi looks entirely different, and another photo that I posted drew forth a compliment for my "blonde" hair. I've never dyed it so it's all the same virgin hair :)

Thanks for the help with the diagnostics, sapphire-o :) I don't have any substantial hair forks so I can't try it that way just yet.

thetokenlady
April 5th, 2008, 02:15 PM
This thread inspired me to try one of these myself. You have to remember to make the original cinnabun loose, and I had to redo it a couple of times so I could flip it upwards, which is they way I usually flip it. I hadn't even considered flipping it sideways or on an angle, I'll have to try that some time. And I think those of you with very long or thick hair may have trouble tucking all that bulk underneath, mine is so fine it compacts right down...what I wouldn't give for thicker hair!
http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee210/thetokenlady/April%20Hairtoys/April-3-Action.jpg

Delilah
April 5th, 2008, 10:46 PM
This is it on me!

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=468&pictureid=7680

winter
April 6th, 2008, 04:05 AM
Here is my try. I had to coil it pretty hard to get it to stick, the first three times I coiled too loose and it all fell out after five mins. This time it holds pretty well.

http://img241.imageshack.us/img241/5276/flippedbun080406ny8.jpg

Tabatuga
April 6th, 2008, 04:19 AM
A very nice and hypnotic bun!!! :thumbsup:

CurlyNinja
April 16th, 2008, 08:10 PM
I just could NOT get this to work back when I first read this thread. Finally, I gave up on it, thinking maybe my hair was just too thick or too layered or maybe it was ME that was too thick. :shrug:

But tonight I was messing around with my hair and it worked! I figured it out! Awesome! I think the key for me was hooking my thumbs under the bun with my four fingers over the visible part of the bun pointing to the top for the flip.

Yay! So excited!

Teazel
April 16th, 2008, 10:20 PM
Here's my attempt - also showing the effects of direct sunlight and shade on silvering hair. :p

I'm not sure I've got it quite right, but I like where it's headed! Much more secure than a cinnamon bun. Thanks for the directions!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v454/Scarla/hair/cinnaflip.jpg

AprilElf
April 17th, 2008, 03:13 AM
That's a great bun, Teazel, and such lovely colours!

I wore this yesterday and it was extremely comfortable. I don't think I got it quite right, though ... there was a large sticky-out bit at the back. :o Practice will make perfect!
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?pictureid=8984&albumid=248&dl=1208333483&thumb=1 (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=248&pictureid=8984)

levelek
April 17th, 2008, 05:02 AM
I like the sticky-out bit, AprilElf!

Hypnotica
April 17th, 2008, 06:20 AM
Wow.

I think I have started a trend.