PDA

View Full Version : preventing helmet head?

joyinc
March 17th, 2009, 10:41 PM
Is there a way?

I am debating on getting a motorcycle... and the threads i have read around here seem to all suggest wearing braids... but how do you wear your hair when you are headed somewhere and you dont want braid waves?

I dont care if i am just going to work... but if i went to see friends or get a little dressed up, i dont want to have crazy hair...

i know its vain, but whatever...

i wish there was a helmet that would fit over a bun or french roll!

sowhat
March 17th, 2009, 11:13 PM
There's the hair glove which is essentially a tube you wear. I ride sport bikes and also drive an open sports car, a baseball cap for the car seems to work and a multibanded ponytail has worked for me on the bike. For reference, my hair is abut 6" shorter than the overall length your avatar shows.

Joy, aside from the question at hand but what bike are you thinking?

joyinc
March 18th, 2009, 08:05 PM
at first i was thinking about a ninja 500r, but i've been reading that the 250r is a better starter bike. I want something fun and safe to learn on, yet something that isnt going to break the bank!

Monkey962
March 18th, 2009, 09:23 PM
The 250R is definitely a very good starter bike. If you're buying used, which you should, in case you should drop it and break something, replacement parts would be cheaper, then it shouldn't cost you more than 5k. A lot of people new to motorcycling, specifically sport bikes will get some fearsome 600cc or even 1000cc thing and get themselves killed all over, so a 250 is a very good choice. Generally lower displacement bikes have better handling, so you learn good control habits before you move up to bigger bikes, if ever. One problem with smaller bikes is that their smaller power outputs make them get kind of boring for some people who want to get a move on, and highway use should be avoided.

Also, it's good you're gonna wear a helmet, but make sure you wear proper safety gear all the time ATTGATT (All the gear all the time). Mind you, don't quote me on all this, since I don't actually own a bike myself! (yet :D) This is all stuff I've learned researching for a bike myself. Also, apologies if this is kinda off topic, I love motorcycles as much as I love hair.

spidermom
March 18th, 2009, 09:45 PM
How about get a loose cap and sort of plop your hair into it on top of your head, helmet over that? I saw something like this in a biking magazine I looked at in the doctor's office awhile back.

Alun
March 19th, 2009, 12:34 AM
FWIW, I used to wear a loose ponytail and tuck it under my jacket, using a scarf to help keep it in place. It doesn't stop your hair looking flat, though!

I need to get a bike. I haven't ridden one for years. These days I only ride the pedal variety.

Finoriel
March 19th, 2009, 03:32 AM
A helmet is made to protect your head. Do NOT buy anything which fits loose enough to stuff your hair into it. Just in case you like to keep your head, though.
As someone who lost a good friend some years ago. Dieing after three months of coma, because of a not properly fitting helmet, I highly suggest putting your live and safety first, not your hair. It´s just not worth it to break your neck and smash your brain, because of a helmet sitting too loose.
I wear a buff under my helmet and just leave my braid hanging down if I´m only driving slow / for short distances. For longer/faster rides I put my braid into a sock secured with a scrunchy, which might also work with loose hair. Tights also do a good job for very long hair. At your length wearing a bikers braid aka caterpillar or a hair glove would also be an option to reduce the waves if you plan to remove the braid after taking off the helmet and want to avoid braid waves.
I personally would just leave it in the braid, though. :cool: In general I wear my helmet hair with pride and if I need to avoid looking like a biker :wink: I just take the car.

kdaniels8811
March 19th, 2009, 03:52 AM
I will have to do some digging but I bought a silk scarf to prevent exactly that. It works, too, you are instructed to part you hair opposite what you usually do, then ponytail or braid the length, I tuck mine inside my jacket or shirt. Or make a really loose cinnabun which does fit inside the helmet. I will find the website and post. No, they do not make helmets for long hair. And the Ninja is a BLAST, I have a 250 and it is a great starter bike and I have no problem navigating on highways, it definately has the power to move. And is nice and light to handle. My first bike which I ride mostly is a 790 Triumph America which is much heavier and I learned to ride on it. Suggestion - please take the safety course, it only costs $25 and the lessons are invaluable. www.msf-usa.org Good luck, I had my bike out yesterday, it was 70 degrees here in Ohio.

bjt
March 19th, 2009, 07:40 AM
I personally would just leave it in the braid, though. :cool: In general I wear my helmet hair with pride and if I need to avoid looking like a biker :wink: I just take the car.

This has been my experience. I ride motorcycles & love being a biker. when I ride, I look like a biker--braid my hair & wear leather with chunky boots. If I want to have a different look, I figure out another way of getting there and avoid riding my bike.

I second the suggestion for the safety course--its a great way to learn safe skills. good luck!

joyinc
March 19th, 2009, 10:45 AM
yeah i am already signed up for the class... wow its cheap in the states. over here it is costing me $400!

and yeah, i certainly didnt mean is there a looser helmet for long hair, i want the tight-fitting-save-my-skull kinda helmet... and if i can work aroudn that, cool. if not, well i'm still alive :)

so the 250r is still good for the highway? does it rumble or rattle? i'm on the hwy alot which is why i thought maybe i should just go for the 500r

kdaniels8811
March 23rd, 2009, 10:10 AM
I found the link. I have this scarf and it works like a charm under my motorcycle helmet, is not tied like a conventional bandana and is elasticized in the back to help it fit better. It comes in tons of colors and will fit a bun nicely. The article shows the scarf and there is a link to her website.

http://www.womenridersnow.com/PublicFiles/DepartmentViewer.asp?ArticleID=1039

joyinc
March 23rd, 2009, 10:48 AM
thanks! thats a pretty informative site!

melrose1985
March 23rd, 2009, 12:01 PM
I myself am looking to learn and get a motorcycle. My brother suggested the 250R as well for me. He has two bikes, a ninja and a cruiser style Honda. The ninja is a lot of fun to ride on the back of. Once going down the road he told me to hang on to him because he wanted to show me how much power it has. In a matter of seconds we must have been going at least 75! I know he would never do anything like that with someone on the back of the bike so I’m not worried, but if I hadn’t been holding on with one arm to his body I would have been ripped right off the back of it the second he hit it. It was such a rush, but kind of scary that it goes that fast!!! I’m not sure if it’s a 600 or higher, but it’s WAY to heavy for me and fast for me.

Best wishes on getting a bike!

pointydog
March 25th, 2009, 12:42 PM
I ride off road and on, have for almost 30 years. 2 flat reverse french braids from temple to nape combined into one at the back works best for me. It makes the helmet evenly tighter but doesn't affect the fit much. See if you can try on a few helmets with your hair braided beforehand. There is a ig difference between brands and sizes. Older bell helmets used to come in many sizes, but now I wear Beiffe or Arai helmets. They both seem to have padding that works well with braids.
If I'm going out and don't want the braids or bumps, I use an ordinary hairnet.
Take the length of your hair and fold or coil it loosely at your nape before putting the hairnet on. Don't worry if it moves a little when you put your helmet on, it will say well enough in place to do the job. You'll find your hair is neatly contained and reasonable well protected.
I often pull at the hair on top of my head and make loose waves under the hairnet before putting on the helmet. You then get a little more fullness on top when you take off the hairnet and fluff. The best part is that it's easy to re-do when you leave.
You're going to enjoy whichever model bike you settle on. If you can, find some time to learn to ride in the dirt. Skills you learn in the dirt translate well to the road, making for more intuitive bike-handling in emergencies. It's a ton of fun too. I can point you to a few resources if you're interested. Buy a good pair of gloves too, they're very important!