PDA

View Full Version : a question about my hair

michael
March 17th, 2009, 10:39 PM
I've been parting my hair down the middle, at my widow's peak, for a while now and I've noticed something weird about about my hair:

At my hairline, the left side always kind of curls up in a wave, while the right side curls down and falls flat. It's like this even right after I shower and it dries.
I don't have a decent camera, so I drew up this visual aid of my hairline, to clarify.
http://img24.imageshack.us/img24/794/asdft.png

Since the community here seems to know a lot about hair, i was wondering if somebody could explain why my hair is like that and whether it's normal.

jojo
March 17th, 2009, 10:45 PM
mine does that too and im fairly normal! it sounds like a small cow lick nothing to worry about!

Omens
March 18th, 2009, 12:43 AM
Hair has a life all its own. :) Sometimes one side is more curly, the other more straight, etc. When my hair was shorter, I used to get those waves at my hairline, and somedays it would be the same on both sides, other days it wouldn't be. For some people, their hair just lays a certain way.

If it bothers you, a simple solution is to move your part around. It doesn't even have to be much. Usually that fixed it for me.

bouton99
March 18th, 2009, 01:45 AM
That should be a cowlick. Nothing's wrong with it and they make hair fall more lively :)

Aditi
March 18th, 2009, 01:49 AM
Ummm :hmm: can anyone tell me what is cowlick? as my friend has also the same problem.

RancheroTheBee
March 18th, 2009, 01:53 AM
Ummm :hmm: can anyone tell me what is cowlick? as my friend has also the same problem.'

Just a stubborn chunk of hair that has it's own agenda in terms of what it feels like doing. Usually, it just sticks out, or it's curlier, etc.

mira-chan
March 18th, 2009, 12:04 PM
Quite normal. Hair follicles grow in the direction of the whirl (can be found at the crown). so if you go against this direction the hair has more lift, curls up in a wave, and if the hair is going with the direction of the whirl (natural direction where the follicle is tilted to) the hair lies flatter.

(Note: Some people have double whirls, and usually double the cowlicks due to that. )

somethingwicked
March 18th, 2009, 12:10 PM
ditto on the cowlick and moving the part around to work with it. Mine does something similar; I wish it would kind of rise on both sides. Sometimes I can get it to by making a deep side part when it's wet, and then parting it back in the middle when it dries.

wintersun99
March 18th, 2009, 12:10 PM
Ummm :hmm: can anyone tell me what is cowlick? as my friend has also the same problem.

Interesting definition (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cowlick), maybe more than you wanted to know :p

michael
March 18th, 2009, 12:48 PM
yeah, i have counter-clockwise hair whorl, so that would explain it.

i feel like this restricts where i can part my hair; If i part it on the left, say over my eye, then i have this small wave on the left and a bunch of flat falling hair on the right. and of course, it's the opposite if i part it on the right. my hair naturally seems to part right at the widow's peak, so that's what i've been doing, but i feel like that may be looking a little funky since one side clearly goes up and the other falls flat and they clash.

what should i do about this? is it generally considered a better look to have both sides falling flat or to have them both curl up.

LutraLutra
March 18th, 2009, 01:03 PM
Yup, I've got one of those too. There's a lot of them around.

savi
March 18th, 2009, 06:01 PM
Ah, those. Aren't they lovely when they just won't obey?
But yea, completely normal.