PDA

View Full Version : Can I make my goal in 3 years?

Heavenly Locks
March 17th, 2009, 09:51 PM
This is something rather dear to me. I did not expect to move to Japan (at all!) so leaving everything behind so suddenly saddened me even though I am having an adventure of a lifetime. One of the things that really makes me happy is knowing that I can also 'use' this time to really work on making my hair grow long and healthy. We are going to be here for 3 years...

Do you think in 3 years I will be able to reach my goal for hip length? I have even told my husband that if it looks good I will keep growing until we leave. :) (I wonder how long I could grow?)

It's going to be like my reward for this time here (plus all the other amazing memories!)

I've got 10 inches to go...but since I only started measuring a month ago, I don't know how fast I grow. Also, I know some growth will need to be trimmed to even up my hemline and remove a few long layers and whatnot...

marajade
March 17th, 2009, 09:59 PM
I went from your length to now 31 or so inches in a year. . That said I have long layers, I think its going to be another year before I can have a completely even hemline. .so if my calculations are correct ;) that would be only 2 years. . I think 3 is plenty! You might check out scalp massages and monistat cream if you haven't already. . that helped me. :)

EvaSimone
March 17th, 2009, 10:02 PM
In 2 years I have gone from 22" to 31" with trims. I am now at 'can I call this hip length?'

I have completely average growth. I think you will be able to have absolutely beautiful hip length hair in 3 years!

jojo
March 17th, 2009, 10:38 PM
I don't see any reason why not unless your hair cannot grow very long.

3 years normal growth would be 1/2" x 36=18" of growth 24+18= 42"
So even with a few trims, you will easy make your goal.

Good luck, you can do it!

Heavenly Locks
March 17th, 2009, 10:56 PM
Omigosh Jojo! 42" on me is CLASSIC length! :D WOW!

Oh yay...I am excited. I just know I can do this...

Morningglory
March 17th, 2009, 11:11 PM
Ten inches of growth should take about twenty months to grow at an average growth. So, if you grow eighteen inches in three years at six inches a year. You would not want to trim more than eight inches in three years. That would be two and one third inches you could trim per year. To reach your goal of ten inches. If you want to grow to classic and can go without trimming? Go for it!!!!!

Cinnamon Hair
March 17th, 2009, 11:16 PM
Knowing your average growth rate would be helpful, and then consider how much you'll need to trim for it to look the way you want.

Average growth is 6" a year. Mine is a little less than that (probably because of my length) and before I started maintaining I trimmed about 2" a year. Assuming an average growth of 6" you'll have a net gain of 4" per year X 3 years = 12 inches. Of course it varies. You may not need to trim 2" a year to keep nice looking ends but you may be a slow grower. Still, I think 10" in 3 years is a decent goal.

bouton99
March 18th, 2009, 01:55 AM
It shouldn't be a real problem to gain 10" in 3 years :) but as already said it depends on your average growth.
I trim about 1/4" per month and still gain about 1/2". That makes 6" per year and 18" in 3 years.

Good luck :cheer:

JamieLeigh
March 18th, 2009, 10:13 AM
I went from 38" in September, to now 42" in March. And that's with a couple of micro-trims. My growth also seems to be average. I'm thinking you'll have passed your goal in 3 years. And if you love it that long, what's the harm in trying for more? If you don't like it, you can always cut it. "It's only hair", right? ;):p

Akiko
March 18th, 2009, 10:23 AM
The average growth is 6 inches per year. Even with occasional trims, you probably reach your goal.

I know it's difficult to leave everything behind and go to a different country. It is a shock in many ways. In my case, it's the opposite of yours. From Japan to the US. I hope you find many ways to enjoy Japan. There are many hair toys there that you cannot find in the US. Stores tend to be small. So they might be hard to pin point. It might be something for you to enjoy the time of being there. Growing your hair and add some Japanese kanzashi/combs to your collection. Wish you the best.:)

Anje
March 18th, 2009, 01:36 PM
I think you should be able to do it. I don't know exactly where my growth rate sits, but since joining here in January 2007 I've gone from a bit past BSL (27") to tailbone, probably about 37 or 38 inches, with several inches of trimming and a 5-month stall. So you should have no problem hitting hip in 3 years, assuming decent care and good growth.

PrliamntofRooks
March 18th, 2009, 01:38 PM
You should be fine. It takes me 3 years to go from millimeters above shoulder-length to waist-length

Ursula
March 18th, 2009, 01:42 PM
Depends on a few different things - your average growth rate, your shed rate, how much you trim, how well you care for your hair to avoid breakage/damage. You will certainly be a lot closer to that goal than you are now, even if you don't quite reach it.

I've observed that people who have time-measured length goals (reach X length by date Y) tend to get frustrated with their hair easily. Ultimately, one has little control over one's growth rate, and sometimes folks are quite unhappy feeling like they have to leave their hair untrimmed (if they prefer a trimmed hemline) just to make the goal on time. Focusing on a time limited length goal tends to lead to focusing on a goal you have little direct control over whether or not you make it.

So I say what I usually say - put your hair up and forget it. In the meantime, enjoy Japan, and do as many interesting non-hair related things as you can fit in! Long hair happens while you are busy with other things.

Iylivarae
March 18th, 2009, 03:01 PM
Yes, it definitely is! I started growing about two years ago with your length and I am now a bit past tailbone.

savi
March 18th, 2009, 05:28 PM
If we think about the average growth rates etc, then you should be able to do it.
Ursula's post contained most points to take into consideration. I'm also going to say that put it up, pamper some and enjoy Japan. It'll grow with less frustration. :D

Jessikinz
March 18th, 2009, 05:36 PM
Yes, I do think you can make your goal in 3 years! :) When I was at your length, it took me just less than 2 years. But I wasn't trimming or measuring, but I'm doing that now of course. Just keep growing, and enjoy your beautiful locks and Japan.

shayly-fyanna
March 19th, 2009, 12:25 AM
Have fun! i do think your hair will reach beyond your goal length in 3 years. just take extra care of your hair and keep it healthy. even with regular trims (3-4 months, only the damaged ends. ) and keep it bunned or braided.

I can grow from Shoulders to TBL in about 3 years, perhaps a little less time, depending on breakage/damage, care and trims. I keep it bunned or braided 98% of the time and have not cut in almost 3 months and don't see any damage yet. a bit of breakge due to tangles but that's it. plus have just noticed alot of baby hair growing, gives me a cute/kind of halo effect.

BittSweetCherry
March 19th, 2009, 05:00 AM
I had my last trim in Feb 2007 to exactly BSL while I was in Denmark (really unexpected part of the trip!) and at the two year anniversary of that, I am now at TBL. Admittedly it clearly tapers between BSL and TBL, but given the fact it's been maintained by S&D only that's not too bad. And it's the last 2 to 3 inches that are the worst.

Given this, I'd say reaching hiplength in 3 years should be no problem, and you can probably afford to get microtrims (say, 1/2 inch) every six months to keep it neat and the ends thick, if you prefer.

Best of luck growing.

Angellen
April 3rd, 2009, 06:56 PM
When I joined LHC I was at 27", and was hovering around 35" after one year, now at about 39" after 20 months.

Of course, it depends on your growth rate and how often you trim and how much hair you shed, but I think you have a very very good chance of making your goal. :D

bte
April 3rd, 2009, 11:27 PM
10 inches in 3 years should be possible - that's only just over 3 inches a year, and most people achieve more than that. Happy growing!