PDA

View Full Version : Clarifying

Jessikinz
March 17th, 2009, 03:36 PM
Ok I need some good information about this. I have read the article on here, and just about got a good idea of what it's all about. This might sound like a silly question, but do you have to use a shampoo that says clarifying on it? I got some suggestions of what is the best to use to clarify, but hardly any of my stores sell any of it in my small town, I could look again but its hard to shop all the time due to health issues. Are there other ways to clarify? My hair really needs it.

ETA: I'm not sure what my stores have or don't have. I should have made that clear for some people.

Forever_Sophie
March 17th, 2009, 03:44 PM
It depends on what you normally put in your hair. I think the main need to clarify is the build up of silicone(s). I use products w/ them and after a couple weeks I clarify w/ VO5 Vanilla Mint Tea or HE Degunkify.

Hope this helps a bit!

Edit: Okay, totally misread! Ignore this :o

Jessikinz
March 17th, 2009, 03:47 PM
Well I went out and bought this Suave naturals orchid petals shampoo, it's a big bottle. Would this work?

Forever_Sophie
March 17th, 2009, 03:48 PM
No, sorry, I'm pretty sure for it to clarify, it should say that on the bottle....Or *maybe* chelating but I'm not positive.

RancheroTheBee
March 17th, 2009, 04:18 PM
Pantene and Herbal Essences and Neutrogena. They all make a clarifying shampoo, but the Herbal Essences one is green and it's called "Dejunkify". The other two just say "clarifying" on it.

How small is your town? Are we talking Canmore small, or like... three people and a dog named Colin small?

Forever_Sophie
March 17th, 2009, 04:23 PM
How small is your town? Are we talking Canmore small, or like... three people and a dog named Colin small?
LOL The lack of the brands you mentioned surprised me, too, but this last description - :laugh:

Jessikinz
March 17th, 2009, 04:49 PM
Thank you for the suggestions.

Jessikinz
March 17th, 2009, 04:51 PM
Pantene and Herbal Essences and Neutrogena. They all make a clarifying shampoo, but the Herbal Essences one is green and it's called "Dejunkify". The other two just say "clarifying" on it.

I have health problems, which makes it difficult for me to shop due to not being able to stand on my feet for too long. I don't know if my stores have them or not. All I asked was for some quick suggestions to make it easier :)

Sissy
March 17th, 2009, 04:52 PM
some people use baking soda and water to clarify from what I've heard but I've personally never tried it.

Elphie
March 17th, 2009, 05:03 PM
If they sell Suave, Suave makes a clarifying shampoo.

Jessikinz
March 17th, 2009, 05:10 PM
If they sell Suave, Suave makes a clarifying shampoo.

Um I know they do Elphie, it just wasn't on the shelf :)

Forever_Sophie
March 17th, 2009, 05:11 PM
Um I know they do Elphie, it just wasn't on the shelf :)
Maybe it's a Canadian thing, I haven't seen it here, either! You'll probably be in luck w/ Degunkify though :) Good luck!

Jessikinz
March 17th, 2009, 05:13 PM
Maybe it's a Canadian thing, I haven't seen it here, either! You'll probably be in luck w/ Degunkify though :) Good luck!

Or I'm just too lazy to look! hehe. I will go again tomorrow and look and actually take my time and not grab whatever is there. I'm going to make a list and write what you all have mentioned. Thanks for the help everyone! :D

Elphie
March 17th, 2009, 05:15 PM
Sorry! It's clear if you wind up going back to look. Makes it a bit easier to spot.

Jessikinz
March 17th, 2009, 05:17 PM
That is so true Elphie! I'm always rushing when I'm out getting things.

tsenglish@ns.sy
March 17th, 2009, 05:41 PM
Any non-mositurizing (non-conditioning, silicone-free shampoo) will do, unless you use a heavy arsenal of styling products daily. I like Neutrogena Anti-Residue best out of all the "clarifiers" I have tried. A close second would be Frederic Fekkai Apple Cider Shampoo.
=)

RancheroTheBee
March 17th, 2009, 06:47 PM
ETA: Neeevermind.

Jessikinz
March 24th, 2009, 08:23 AM
Delete this thread please, I feel so silly for asking such a question:o

JamieLeigh
March 24th, 2009, 08:40 AM
Delete this thread please, I feel so silly for asking such a question:o

There are no silly questions here! (Well...I have seen a few, but this is definitely not one of them!) If you don't know, ask!! :)

I always heard that any type of "clear" shampoo would do well for clarifying...as long as there is no type of moisturizer in it, and usually those are lotion-y looking or cloudy. :confused:

Nera
March 24th, 2009, 08:52 AM
That's not a silly question at all! I live in The Netherlands, I've been hair obsessed over years, and never, I repeat, never have I found a clarifying shampoo, nor have I heard of it.

I'm still not completely sure what it is... No one here does it. So (:

Myrrh
March 24th, 2009, 09:10 AM
I use Suave's Daily Clarifying Shampoo. But I only use it once a week. :)

HairyCarrie
March 30th, 2009, 09:31 PM
I use an anti-dandruff shampoo to clarify. I think it just needs to be strong enough to get rid of all the potential build up on the hair and mine seems to do the trick. At least for me...

rhubarbarin
March 30th, 2009, 09:50 PM
I just use a cheap, clear shampoo without too many ingredients (and no silicones).

earthdancer
March 30th, 2009, 10:20 PM
I use Frieda Shampoo for platinum blondes; it says it takes the chemical and mineral residue out of your hair, and that's clarifying, isn't it?

I use it about every 4th time I shampoo and it makes my hair really shiny. We have hard water and the minerals build up fast. Other clarifying shampoos smell bad to me, but Frieda is fine.

I also tried baking soda; please don't! It might work for people with very, very short hair, but it is too harsh for delicate long hair.

jewelotn
March 31st, 2009, 09:52 AM
You can use baking soda to clarify. You should be able to find it and it's much cheaper than buying a separate shampoo. Although the Suave or VO5s aren't that expensive to begin with...

A long time ago, I took about 1/2 TBS of baking soda and mixed it with my normal dose of shampoo and it worked well. (I can't remember at the time if my shampoo had cones...)

You can also try shampooing like normal then using a baking soda solution. Rinse with water well afterwards then move onto your condish routine.

The baking soda solution should be 1 TBS to 1 cup of water. You can dilute further but do NOT make it any stronger. So like 1/2 TBS to 1 cup is fine but 2 TBS to 1 cup is not.

Edited: So I missed the part in earthdancer's post about baking soda. Oops! I'm at APL so not too much length.