PDA

View Full Version : A long hair buddy of mine said no to....

Darkhorse1
March 17th, 2009, 01:55 PM
The Tyra Banks show!!

She's out on the west coast, and has floor length hair. She was approached by the Tyra Banks show to cut off her hair on a makeover show. She politely said 'no thankyou'. The executive had the nerve to email her back and said 'hair grows back'. But, she politely declined, saying she prefered her long locks.

Yippee!:cheese:

hurricane_gia
March 17th, 2009, 01:57 PM
Good for her!

UncommonTart
March 17th, 2009, 02:02 PM
"Hair grows back." Hmph, that is pretty nervy, not to mention rude. And yet, I am not suprised. Well, good for her, indeed!

mugglemomof3
March 17th, 2009, 02:05 PM
That's interesting! I'm glad she "just said no"! :)

DarkChocolate
March 17th, 2009, 02:08 PM
good for her:)
where did get her information?

Forever_Sophie
March 17th, 2009, 02:11 PM
Glad she said no, good for her!

Did someone submit her, like What Not to Wear? That's very...strange about the producer. VERY. Almost unbelievable.

~GypsyCurls~
March 17th, 2009, 02:14 PM
Good for her! She should email something snarky back...

I like the Tyra Banks show, but what is the point of giving someone a "makeover" when they don't want/need one? If someone no longer enjoys having long hair and wants a big cut, I say go for it! I thought the point of makeovers was to make someone feel better, not take away from that.

Nightshade
March 17th, 2009, 02:14 PM
Good on her!

Maybe send her a link to the thread?

Jessikinz
March 17th, 2009, 02:42 PM
Very good!!

I love the tyra banks show, but that does sounds strange she was approached like that...hmm.

SimplyLonghair
March 17th, 2009, 02:52 PM
Is she a member here?:D If not does she want to be?:cheese:

somethingwicked
March 17th, 2009, 02:56 PM
She politely said 'no thankyou'. The executive had the nerve to email her back and said 'hair grows back'.

OH, now, that? Is obnoxious. I wouldn't have emailed him back anything close to polite for that comment, good on her for maintaining her civility!

(She should have unloaded on him, though)

RancheroTheBee
March 17th, 2009, 03:26 PM
Bahaha! Great stuff. Good for her for sticking to her preferences. Floor-length hair grows back, but it takes YEARS.

Jim
March 17th, 2009, 04:24 PM
Gosh. If the producer said that to me I'd be reaching for my scissors while I told him, "yeah, hair grows back but some things don't"....:scissors:

Jeep Girl
March 17th, 2009, 04:42 PM
Of all the NERVE! First to ask, get a "no", then NAG? (it must be hard to walk with cojones that big). :mad:

plainjanegirl
March 17th, 2009, 04:48 PM
Oh you should so get your friend to join here ( I love getting hair advice from people who have really long hair). Then if she joined she should email the link of this thread to the tyra producers. I would also be curious how they got her info. Weird.

Coriander
March 17th, 2009, 04:57 PM
Gosh. If the producer said that to me I'd be reaching for my scissors while I told him, "yeah, hair grows back but some things don't"....:scissors:

:rollin:

Good for her. I'm proud of her ability to be civil too - I don't know if I'd have had the same self-control lol

Beatnik Guy
March 17th, 2009, 05:34 PM
Good for her! :rockerdud
FWIW, the Tyra producers may already know about this thread; it was that show that posted here looking for volunteers a few weeks ago. :rolleyes:

spidermom
March 17th, 2009, 05:41 PM
I would have done the same.

xeternalsilence
March 17th, 2009, 05:41 PM
I would have never responded nicely to that. :mad:

ETA.
An ex-friend (and no, this isn't the reason why he is no longer my friend...) told me that I "needed him to chemically relax, bleach and then dye abnormal colors, and cut my hair" a few days ago. True story.

I almost killed him.

feralnature
March 17th, 2009, 05:46 PM
Tyra Banks is one of my least favorite celebs. Just one of those gut feeling things. Just put off by her.

steff8ryan
March 17th, 2009, 06:08 PM

lol !

good on her for saying no.
xx

Darkhorse1
March 17th, 2009, 06:14 PM
I think they found her on facebook. She's part of many long hair groups on facebook, and she also works on the west coast, so I'm not sure if she's in the area. I think a few people in that long hair group on facebook were contacted. I wasn't, but since I'm in Canada, that's probably why ;)

Forever_Sophie
March 17th, 2009, 06:16 PM
OH that's cool! I didn't know there were long hair groups on Facebook :)

Kirin
March 17th, 2009, 06:28 PM
Good for her! Yanno, Tryra and her always long weave wanting to cut everyone's hair off LOL.

EdG
March 17th, 2009, 06:36 PM
Shows like that leave no doubt as to why television is dying.

I'm glad I don't own a television. shudder:
Ed

Xandergrammy
March 17th, 2009, 07:21 PM
FWIW, the Tyra producers may already know about this thread; it was that show that posted here looking for volunteers a few weeks ago. :rolleyes:

Really?? Now THAT takes brass ones. :nono:

LittleOrca
March 17th, 2009, 09:40 PM
Glad she said no, good for her!

Did someone submit her, like What Not to Wear? That's very...strange about the producer. VERY. Almost unbelievable.

I saw a What Not to Wear show once where a girl with BSL length hair refused to let them cut it and she got very defensive on camera about it and they let her keep her hair.

And I am proud of your friend for saying no! I would to, even if my family would push for it for the "free trip" and other crud.

longhairedfairy
March 17th, 2009, 09:50 PM

What! Isn't that sort of crap against the rules here? The nerve...:mad:

AnimaSola3o4
March 18th, 2009, 03:53 AM
I love Tyra also, but just wanted to mention that they really do approach people like that. I was asked to appear on the show a couple years ago for something. I wasnt given much notice, like two days. I declined. It had nothing to do with hair by the way.

Oh and they found me through myspace. I'd posted in a group about a health concern and I was emailed in regards to appearing on the show.

Phalaenopsis
March 18th, 2009, 04:30 AM
So that's how they find people.

I never really liked the Tyra Banks show. Or any other show where they impose people to wear styles they do not like.

noelgirl
March 18th, 2009, 06:01 AM
Good for her! Yanno, Tryra and her always long weave wanting to cut everyone's hair off LOL.

I find that rich, too - apparently long hair is only beautiful to her when it's fake :rolleyes: Not that I'm so shocked, the makeover episodes of ANTM would tell you that. "Look at this girl who's all attached to her hair, what a freak! Bring on the scissors! Bring on the tears!"

kwaniesiam
March 18th, 2009, 06:38 AM
Ugh, that is so obnoxious. Good for her for saying no.

BeatlesFanGirl
March 18th, 2009, 07:18 AM

I like the Tyra Banks show, but what is the point of giving someone a "makeover" when they don't want/need one? If someone no longer enjoys having long hair and wants a big cut, I say go for it! I thought the point of makeovers was to make someone feel better, not take away from that.

That's true! I also don't understand why these "makeover people" think that cutting someone's hair will make her look better, when in reality it makes her look worse most of the times. (The only positive change I saw was in "Queer eye" when the cut a guy's hair that looked very damaged and he looked better in the end) That's why I like "10 years younger", they can make a brand new style without changing the length of the hair or they even use extensions.:DD I saw only one 4 inches chop, but in an other episode the lady told that she wouldn't want her hair to be shorter, and they only trimmed it and gave her an awesome style.

Kuchen
March 18th, 2009, 08:12 AM
It's like the Beef Marketing Board googling for vegan sites and then signing up so they can post and say, "Would any of you guys like to volunteer to try some steak?" :silly:

adiapalic
March 18th, 2009, 08:30 AM
It's like the Beef Marketing Board googling for vegan sites and then signing up so they can post and say, "Would any of you guys like to volunteer to try some steak?" :silly:

Haha, exactly. And like that example, it's all about the money. The producers of the show know that people would be to be glued to the television set to see a girl with floor length hair get it all cut off--it sells. That kind of anticipation for a dramatic change in something is what sells. (it's why people watch style makeovers, house makovers, body makeovers).

I'm extremely glad to know that she declined--and the guy who responded with "hair grows back" is the pushy kind of jerk that's always gonna be in show business. I'm sure the show is based in LA, and that's probably one of the reasons they picked her--not to mention her floor-length hair which is very rare.

As for Tyra Banks, meh. My sister likes the next top model show, and I don't really care for it. I remember one time she told me that Tyra actually put down a girl for her southern accent, telling her she's not going to get a job sounding like that. It's true that it would affect getting a job on show-biz, but it's just another perpetuation of southern stereotypes. I know of several people here in South Carolina who intentionally try to not sound southern because of the stereotypes.

So yeah, no Tyra for me. :D

Christina
March 18th, 2009, 08:43 AM
:cheese:Good for her! *shudder* I hate that show...

LiraelQ
March 18th, 2009, 09:09 AM

Hah! Awesome. I think it's like offering to plow over someone's garden or orchard and put in a lawn.

I love America's Next Top Model, but in it Tyra is an often-hypocritical narcissist. At least half the makeovers each season are done for shock value, and, yeah, she has a vendetta against anyone with naturally long hair. I don't think she's ever let any black person keep a natural head of hair...she either crops it all or gives them a weave. Most of the girls with long hair post-makeover just have extensions. She just likes to play Barbie, but with actual people.

JamieLeigh
March 18th, 2009, 09:17 AM
Awesome!! I bet you don't hear stories like this too often. Congratulations to her for being strong enough to know what she wants and not to let anyone else tell her differently! :D

That was indeed extremely rude..."Hair grows back." Sounds like someone isn't used to hearing "NO." ;)

Ryanne
March 18th, 2009, 10:00 AM
Good for her. That was really rude though.

Soniasonia
March 18th, 2009, 10:02 AM
They need to be smacked for being so rude and saying "hair grows back." Then need to worry about their own hair.

lora410
March 18th, 2009, 10:05 AM

Oh god, I remember that thread. It's sad they were looking for people to cut off their hair :mad:

princess
March 18th, 2009, 11:14 AM

I know it is irrelevent here but I did get a call from someone saying "What meat do you eat?" I said no meat. They hung up saying "This call is not for you."

Then I get another call saying "May be you would like some chicken."

I had to control myself not yelling back. May be the same cat caller.

Anyways many people have advised my daughter to trim her hair. Being the kid she is she wants layers and she visited First Choice haircutters and she told them to trim one inch and then layer the shortest being two inches trim. Now I find that they have cut more than an inch. And the layer is deep. She had no time to visit her usual beauty parlour.

Now she is consoling me saying "Hair grows back."

Well may be true. But still these hair salons why do they cut off more than necessary and layer more ? To emphasize the style?

I do not know. But cutting in weird ways has always been a part of styling.

edensapples
March 18th, 2009, 11:31 AM
Shows like that leave no doubt as to why television is dying.

I'm glad I don't own a television. shudder:
Ed

I know this was a couple pages back... but I got excited b/c I don't either!! :cheese:

They do those "cut off all your hair" make over shows for shock value, not really to make people look better at all.

BeatlesFanGirl
March 18th, 2009, 11:33 AM

Haha, exactly. And like that example, it's all about the money. The producers of the show know that people would be to be glued to the television set to see a girl with floor length hair get it all cut off--it sells. That kind of anticipation for a dramatic change in something is what sells. (it's why people watch style makeovers, house makovers, body makeovers).

I'm extremely glad to know that she declined--and the guy who responded with "hair grows back" is the pushy kind of jerk that's always gonna be in show business. I'm sure the show is based in LA, and that's probably one of the reasons they picked her--not to mention her floor-length hair which is very rare.

As for Tyra Banks, meh. My sister likes the next top model show, and I don't really care for it. I remember one time she told me that Tyra actually put down a girl for her southern accent, telling her she's not going to get a job sounding like that. It's true that it would affect getting a job on show-biz, but it's just another perpetuation of southern stereotypes. I know of several people here in South Carolina who intentionally try to not sound southern because of the stereotypes.

So yeah, no Tyra for me. :D

What is southern accent like? And what's wrong with it? Tyra was very rude to offend someone just because of the way she talks. I'm sure she (Tyra) could be criticized for a lot of things too. First of all her behavior. I really can't stand her. :(

edensapples
March 18th, 2009, 11:42 AM
Also, why DO hairdressers cut off more than you ask them to?

Don't they know I will wait even LONGER to come back in to get another haircut when they do that??

somethingwicked
March 18th, 2009, 12:00 PM
That's why I like "10 years younger", they can make a brand new style without changing the length of the hair or they even use extensions.:DD I saw only one 4 inches chop, but in an other episode the lady told that she wouldn't want her hair to be shorter, and they only trimmed it and gave her an awesome style.

YES! I knew there was a makeover show that was semi-sympathetic to long hair. Is that the one with the older female stylist, and the younger short haired "punky" one? I've seen both of them cut long hair, and both times they kept the style long, and when in instances where they did take a largish amount off, they both came off as gentle and understanding, not like some of the makeovers I've seen where they hack the whole thing off then wave it around like they just took a scalp.

I guess it is all about the drama, but even when someone wants their hair cut off, it's a SHOCK. When I had a major trim last year, from a waist length deep V to straight across even hemline it kind of bothered me for a while, even though I liked it. Maybe we're just sensitive, but I don't think people realize how used we get to having our hair.

Oh, and yanno, another thing, this is exactly the kind of incident I could see a guest on the Tyra show on another topic, like "I'm Sick of People Trying to Change Me!" or something, telling the audience about and everyone gasps in outrage and sympathy.

rose_in_bloom
March 18th, 2009, 12:20 PM
Good for your friend!! I'm astonished at the rudeness of the person who wrote back to her. Wow...

UncommonTart
March 18th, 2009, 12:23 PM
Oh, and yanno, another thing, this is exactly the kind of incident I could see a guest on the Tyra show on another topic, like "I'm Sick of People Trying to Change Me!" or something, telling the audience about and everyone gasps in outrage and sympathy.

No, no- that's next week. This week we're doing "All Your Friends Secretly Hate Something About You!"

(/sarcasm spree)

3azza
March 18th, 2009, 12:24 PM
I never liked Tyra anyway. Plus, I always wonder why fashion people prefer to substitute natural beauty for artificial stuff, like cutting hair and then adding extensions!!!

BeatlesFanGirl
March 18th, 2009, 12:33 PM
YES! I knew there was a makeover show that was semi-sympathetic to long hair. Is that the one with the older female stylist, and the younger short haired "punky" one? I've seen both of them cut long hair, and both times they kept the style long, and when in instances where they did take a largish amount off, they both came off as gentle and understanding, not like some of the makeovers I've seen where they hack the whole thing off then wave it around like they just took a scalp.

Yeah there's one with a long blond haired lady, I think it's in the UK, and an other one with a guy where the hairdresser is a young girl with punky pink hair. It's in the US, LA maybe?

marajade
March 18th, 2009, 12:42 PM

I guess it is all about the drama, but even when someone wants their hair cut off, it's a SHOCK. When I had a major trim last year, from a waist length deep V to straight across even hemline it kind of bothered me for a while, even though I liked it. Maybe we're just sensitive, but I don't think people realize how used we get to having our hair.

This is why I seriously dislike talk shows, they take societal norms/culture and twist them until they are severely deformed, awful and most of all very VAPID. Shows like that insult our intelligence in my opinion. The gimme now instant culture is very prevalent on these shows. . Do people not understand how long it takes to grow, nurture, and care for floor length hair? I do agree these must be ratings boosts for them because of the shock of "before and after". I think patience is something I am reminded of daily with growing long hair and I think those producers need a lesson!

WritingPrincess
March 18th, 2009, 02:05 PM
Yay! Good for her! Is she a member here?

plainjanegirl
March 18th, 2009, 03:09 PM
Oh god, I remember that thread. It's sad they were looking for people to cut off their hair :mad:

I musta missed that thread, but how cause I am on here every day.

intothemist1999
March 18th, 2009, 03:15 PM
The Tyra Banks show!!

She's out on the west coast, and has floor length hair. She was approached by the Tyra Banks show to cut off her hair on a makeover show. She politely said 'no thankyou'. The executive had the nerve to email her back and said 'hair grows back'. But, she politely declined, saying she prefered her long locks.

Yippee!:cheese:

Sheesh, what a nerve of those people - especially to RETORT! I'd be inclined to tell them: hair grows back, but once a jerk, always a jerk. Or maybe call them on that second email for harassment :shrug:

Good for her! :thumbsup:

neon-dream
March 18th, 2009, 03:17 PM
Lol i'd say no too!!!
Thats ridiculous, if she wants to cut her hair she will do it herself and in her own time.

princess
March 18th, 2009, 03:24 PM
The reply to anybody talking about cutting off long hair either for makeover or for charity saying that it will grow back should be "No". Watch out for these people who talk about styles and layers and "good trims" etc. They sweet talk a person into cutting off their hair because they are plain jealous. Hair does grow back but it takes a long long time to grow back to the original length and so beware of these kind of people.

CreativeHere
March 18th, 2009, 03:30 PM
BeatlesFanGirl, I have a link for you! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southern_Accent But there are variations, because I live in Georgia, and have a small accent( I occasionally drop G's in -ing's, and speak quickly), but there is a man I know in Rhode Island who has a more pronounced accent than me! :p It all depends!

savi
March 18th, 2009, 05:12 PM
It could've made an interesting episode, had she been talked into it against her will. Not in the good way I mean.
I'm sure the producers could've worked a way around it. Made an updo or so, but then it wouldn't have been a ''make over'. :rolleyes:

Teakafrog
March 18th, 2009, 06:14 PM
If they want to cut hair so bad, why don't they cut off Tyra's fake extensions? Oh, you mean she thinks she looks good with long hair? Hmmmmm........:rolleyes: :disgust::pins::brainbleach:

RavennaNight
March 18th, 2009, 07:46 PM
Wow it's awesome to hear someone turned down the Tyra show about cutting off floorlength hair! Good for her!:agree: i missed the thread that was posted seeking people for makeovers. I would imagine The Mods locked that sucker up quick;).

LisaButz2001
March 18th, 2009, 09:06 PM
It's really rare that you hear about those who reject the "almighty" Tyra's "advice". Perhaps your friend will give others courage. Can I get links to the Facebook sites, please & thank you?

blue_nant
March 18th, 2009, 09:57 PM

Bwahahahahahaha! Not the smartest move!

I think it's like offering to plow over someone's garden or orchard and put in a lawn.

Agreed. People often are not using their brains when they do stuff like that. They're thinking of the end result and jumping to conclusions. Is there any other answer??? Even that one is thin.

I've always hated the shows that cut women's hair. It's mean and the women usually look the same or worse, it's just those expensive clothes that's a big change. I wear jeans all the time, sure I'm going to look different in makeup and a dress. LeDuh!

It's such an insult to our intelligence, that's what's annoying.

But whatever *hand*

Pegasus Marsters
March 19th, 2009, 05:05 AM
I've always hated the shows that cut women's hair. It's mean and the women usually look the same or worse, it's just those expensive clothes that's a big change. I wear jeans all the time, sure I'm going to look different in makeup and a dress. LeDuh!

The hair isn't even what makes the difference! If you take one picture, with no make-up, not smiling, in a baggy sweater... and then a second, with make-up and a huge grin, in a slinky dress... you are GOING to look better in the second one. Just the difference the smile makes... it's nothing to do with the hair, at all. They'd look better if you just put on the make-up and changed the dress, and made them smile, but left their hair the same.

I'm just sick of the shows that are like "Women are all beautiful... once we've made them beautiful with lots of make-up and hair dye!"

Milui Elenath
March 19th, 2009, 05:26 AM
You're absolutely right Pegasus, the before shots are never smiling! It's truly sad that the media plays on women's need to feel beautiful

When all we need to do is look around on this website and realise that we all are already beautiful. ;) Really!

I know this was a couple pages back... but I got excited b/c I don't either!! :cheese:

They do those "cut off all your hair" make over shows for shock value, not really to make people look better at all.

I also don't have a television.:happydance:

plainjanegirl
March 19th, 2009, 06:36 AM
It's really rare that you hear about those who reject the "almighty" Tyra's "advice". Perhaps your friend will give others courage. Can I get links to the Facebook sites, please & thank you?

me too please.
I have searched all over facebook but cannot find our group there.

Igor
March 19th, 2009, 08:30 AM
:applause Bravo!

redeyedtreefr0g
March 19th, 2009, 08:36 AM
If I had floor length hair and my husband was around while that guy said that rudeness, Jamie probably would have said something like "and bones heal" and decked him.
What a mean guy, I'm glad she told him what was what.
:frog:

Igor
March 19th, 2009, 09:25 AM
I can’t help but admire your friend for staying polite. My answer would have been

“It takes a broken bone 6-8 weeks to heal but it would take over 8 years for my hair to grow out again. How about I bring a big hammer for your leg and we make some interesting TV out of that?”

Carolyn
March 19th, 2009, 09:50 AM
Good for her! :rockerdud That is so cool. I can't believe the wench from the show had the nerve to email her back. No means no.

sneakybea
March 19th, 2009, 12:33 PM
Hooray for your friend! And in my opinion, the logic used by that executive in saying "hair grows back"is seriously flawed; if growing floor length hair (wow!) was that easy, they would have no interest in cutting it! After all, on these shows they always say things like "So-and-so hasn't cut her hair in eight years," so it will be that much more shocking when So-and-so's long ponytail drops to the floor.

Helen Baq
March 19th, 2009, 01:09 PM
If I had floor length hair and my husband was around while that guy said that rudeness, Jamie probably would have said something like "and bones heal" and decked him.
What a mean guy, I'm glad she told him what was what.
:frog:

ROFL!!! Best reply yet! :rollin:

Tap Dancer
March 19th, 2009, 01:41 PM
She was approached by the Tyra Banks show to cut off her hair on a makeover show. She politely said 'no thankyou'. The executive had the nerve to email her back and said 'hair grows back'.

"Then grow yours long and cut it off for the show" would have been my reply. :rolleyes:

If a person would just grow it back, then why bother cutting it to begin with?

Feline
March 19th, 2009, 05:53 PM
Brava! :cheer:I have to make myself be polite to people who ask me to cut. I usually end up fuming a while afterwards :pins: . At least I have never had anyone come back like that, thank God! Well done!:joy: