PDA

View Full Version : How to tame her curls?

chainedangel
March 17th, 2009, 01:38 PM
My friends dd has 3a-b/m/ii hair about shoulder length left curled. Her hair does not cooperate at the moment. Flyaways and some pieces of hair being stick straight. Mom is anti-comb and feels that not shampooing is gross. :rolleyes:

I do believe she may be a bit more open to suggestion, though, as she has seen the transformation i have gone through.

Anyone have any ideas what might help her hair that isn't too "weird" as non lhc members put it.

manderly
March 17th, 2009, 01:48 PM
I don't know if she'll go for oils....but they can be a curl's best friend.

If that's too weird for her and she needs "commercial" products, then Living Proof (the MIT hair goo) is pretty good and curl formation and killing frizz.

~GypsyCurls~
March 17th, 2009, 02:01 PM
You mentioned she thought not shampooing was gross...what about using a light conditioner to cleanse? Or a gentle shampoo, at least? If she's not open to oils, she should at least be using a very moisturizing conditioner and leave-in. The key to curls looking/feeling good is moisture.

It's normal for curls to never be uniform, and to have hair that is more straight among the curls. My hair never looks the same, whenever I get it wet. Curls can have a mind of their own, but are gorgeous if taken care of properly! Point her in the direction of the book Curly Girl by Lorraine Massey, and to naturallycurly.com.

Do you know why she is against combs? Does she brush? A wide tooth comb is great for curls, but the thinner ones are bad, as is brushing since it just breaks curls apart basically.

Do a web search for before and afters, too. Curls look so much better when they are moisturized, than when they are treated like straight hair.

Also, is she growing it out, or keeping it at shoulder? Al lot of times, length will hemp curls behave.

HTH :)

Forever_Sophie
March 17th, 2009, 02:41 PM
Do you know why she is against combs? Does she brush? A wide tooth comb is great for curls, but the thinner ones are bad, as is brushing since it just breaks curls apart basically.

This is what I was wondering, too! I sort of get (don't agree, but get) where she's coming from w/ no shampoo, but combs?!?!

Does she use any products after washing her hair? If not oils, this won't be popular but something like a serum, like Frizz Ease? And she doesn't blow dry, right? Stopping that would help...

manderly
March 17th, 2009, 03:15 PM
Comb some leave in through her hair when wet and don't touch it at all until it's dry.

She really should get over her comb bias ;)

Isblå
March 17th, 2009, 03:23 PM
I think you could persuade her to trying using some conditioner as leave in. I have seen women's magazines recommending that. I think it can make a difference too, if her hair is dry.

swirlytresses
March 17th, 2009, 03:24 PM
There is a great website for curlies....naturallycurly.com , but here are some links that might be useful to her. http://healthycurls.awardspace.com/index.html

http://www.livecurlylivefree.com/
This explains a lot about what is good and bad for curly hair along with product suggestions. HTH

Fayejay
March 17th, 2009, 03:55 PM
I've had alot of success with my DD's hair (3b/c,f.i) doing very little shampoo and alot of olive oil based conditioner. She is 3yrs and its cut out the frizz alot.

Speckla
March 17th, 2009, 07:06 PM
Cowashing every other day and shampooing once a week are a curls best friend. A wide (I mean W-I-D-E) tooth comb too.
________
VAPIR OXYGEN (http://oxygenvaporizer.com)