PDA

View Full Version : De-lurking for my one year anniversary post! (lots of pics)

Wanderer09
March 16th, 2009, 09:04 PM
A bit late, but I might as well do it. After all, where else can I find people who'll partake in my giddy longhair joy? My family thinks I'm nuts. :p

Some background: I joined LHC last February, with hair between shoulder and APL. I'm growing out a heavily layered, thinned and razored cut. As you can imagine, it's a huge pain sometimes. Buns and braids are the preservers of my sanity.

Now, on to the hair pics.

http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w304/wanderer09/feb2008.jpg

My very first official length pic, taken in February last year. This is either second or third day hair, so it's not as curly as right after a wash. Length: APL-ish?

http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w304/wanderer09/Apr008.jpg

April of 2008. Similar hair, better lighting.

http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w304/wanderer09/May2008.jpg

One month later, at a somewhat weird angle since the person taking it was sitting down.

http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w304/wanderer09/P1010763.jpg

June 2008. I took this one mainly for hair typing purposes, hence the frizz.

I then proceeded to ignore my hair for the rest of the summer, without measuring obsessively or taking pictures. I was also giving WO a try, so I was wearing it up most of the time to avoid tangles later and to hide the greasies. My October length pic proved that benign neglect works. ;)

http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w304/wanderer09/Oct08.jpg

Not BSL yet but very, very close.

http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w304/wanderer09/Nov082.jpg

November! This is after I had let it dry in a braid, so it was fairly smooth. I like it. Length: Definitely BSL.

Once again, I left the camera and the measuring tape alone from November until February, and this is the result:

http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w304/wanderer09/Feb-09.jpg

I'm ecstatic! The very longest layer is at the top of my waist when wet. When I look at this picture I almost can't believe how long it is, especially since I've had 2 or 3 small trims between now and last Feb. My plan is to keep growing until I reach tailbone and then start trimming more aggresively until all the layers are gone (including the dyed/bleached bits on the shortest layer, ugh). Once that's accomplished, I might aim for classic. And I might cut layers again, but they'll be long ones. None of these crazy short pieces sticking out everywhere.

Tangles are my biggest problem at the moment, but I'm hoping for an improvement once the layers/thinning/razoring are all gone? Any success stories? And is there anything I can do in the meantime to make things easier? I wash once or twice a week (CO or S&C usually), do occasional deep treatments if my hair is feeling particularly dry, use olive oil on the ends, sleep with it braided, wear it up or in a French braid most days...yet it still tangles like mad.

To end this post, I'd like to give a huge THANK YOU to LHC members for making this the warmest, most suportive board I've ever posted on. :blossom: You're all amazing.

HairyCarrie
March 16th, 2009, 09:15 PM
Thanks for sharing the progress pics. It's always inspiring to those of us in the not-quite-there mode. Very pretty hair...

SHELIAANN1969
March 16th, 2009, 09:24 PM
Holy hairgrowth! Your hair grows fast, you have great curls! Happy Anniversary!!!

:blossom:

DecafJane
March 16th, 2009, 09:26 PM
WOW. You have had great growth and your hair looks so lovely - congratulations. :D

spf4214
March 17th, 2009, 12:08 AM
Congratulations on some amazing hair growth. Your hair looks fantastic.

Starr
March 17th, 2009, 12:27 AM
Your hair is absolutely beautiful! And the amount of growth you've gotten in one year is amazing!

annie09
March 17th, 2009, 12:47 AM
Great post thanks for sharing your progress, i love looking at hair growth pics, your layers have really grown out well and FAST! :happydance:

AutumnLeaves
March 17th, 2009, 05:58 AM
Beautiful hair, truly! It looks fabulous and I am in hair envy!

brok3nwings
March 17th, 2009, 06:04 AM
Can i just ask you..do you take anything to make it grow that fast? vitamins? do you use monistat? its impressive really!! your hair is looking really good and i like the colour on the last picture its very pretty. Congratulations!!!

FallenAngel
March 17th, 2009, 06:12 AM
Wow, what a growth! Congratulations!

Your hair looks great!

Pixna
March 17th, 2009, 06:19 AM
What outstanding progress you have made!!!!! :agape: And in only a year??? That's incredible!!!

Okay, dish your secrets. Inquiring minds NEED to know! :eye:

Chrissy
March 17th, 2009, 06:23 AM
Thanks for sharing your growing journey. Your hair looks wonderful!!! It has grown a lot. Keep up the good work. I have no idea about the tangles though. I'm a 1AFii so my hair is different than yours. I hope you de lurk more often!!

KajiKodomo
March 17th, 2009, 07:40 AM
Your hair is gorgeous! :D Congrats!

Xandergrammy
March 17th, 2009, 07:52 AM
Wow! Your hair looks fabulous! Congratulations!

Rhea
March 17th, 2009, 08:04 AM
Itīs look great ! Congratulation !

neon-dream
March 17th, 2009, 08:11 AM
WOW, your hair is growing so fast!!
I'm not sure what to do about the tangles, i find using SMTs help me :)
:blossom:

spidermom
March 17th, 2009, 08:48 AM
Congratulations on the good growth!

paper
March 17th, 2009, 09:13 AM
Wow, your hair is gorgeous! Love, the curls!

Congrats on wonderful progress!

Ryanne
March 17th, 2009, 09:28 AM
Congratulations! That's amazing progress, thank you for sharing.

jojo
March 17th, 2009, 12:01 PM
Wow! you grow quick, your hair just gets better and better.

MissMaryMac
March 17th, 2009, 12:32 PM
Thanks for sharing all the pictures... your hair is really pretty! :)

LutraLutra
March 17th, 2009, 12:34 PM
Your hair looks great and the growth is amazing. :) Congrats! :toast:

Arctic_Mama
March 17th, 2009, 12:37 PM
Your hair is beautiful!

Razoring can exacerbate tangling, as any damaged hemline can, but tangles are kind of the lot for wurlies and curlies. Clumpy curls and oiling/moisture will definitely help, but updos are your friend. When it is down I have never found a way to keep the nap of my neck from tangling badly. Length helps more, but clumps and oiling have been very beneficial to me.

DavidN
March 17th, 2009, 01:45 PM
Thank you, Wanderer09, for sharing these wonderful photos of your progress! You are blessed with the most beautiful healthy and bouncy curls, and look at how much growth you have achieved since your earlier photos!

Forever_Sophie
March 17th, 2009, 02:16 PM
Beautiful!! Very nice progress, thanks for sharing the pictures! I love your curls :)

Wanderer09
March 17th, 2009, 07:21 PM
Can i just ask you..do you take anything to make it grow that fast? vitamins? do you use monistat? its impressive really!! your hair is looking really good and i like the colour on the last picture its very pretty. Congratulations!!!

I take a daily vitamin and iron supplements when I remember, and I try to eat healthy but that's all. My hair has alwas grown pretty fast, so it's probably a matter of genetics. I don't remember it ever growing this fast though...so genetics combined with a freak growth spurt? Hehe.

WOW, your hair is growing so fast!!
I'm not sure what to do about the tangles, i find using SMTs help me

SMTs work pretty well for me..I guess the answer is to do them more often. :p

Thanks for all the positive feedback! :)

Indigo Girl
March 17th, 2009, 08:46 PM
Very nice growth pics! Congratulations on your progress, Wanderer09. :bluesmile

Honestwitness
March 17th, 2009, 09:08 PM
I must say you're an inspiration to me. Your hair is beautiful. Now that there's more of it, it's even more beautiful than one year ago.

I don't have any advice about the tangles. But I do have a question, since I'm still way far behind you on your progress. Have you tried a satin pillowcase or satin sleep bonnet?

I recently bought a set of two satin pillowcases for $9.99 at Target and I notice my hair is definitely less "ratty looking" on the ends.

But, I don't want to invest in a sleep bonnet, unless I see what experience others have had with them.

Honestwitness

JessicaVonMaim
March 17th, 2009, 09:23 PM
Gorgeous curls! You have absolutely beautiful hair, good luck with all your goals!

skay
March 17th, 2009, 11:11 PM
Wow, look at all that growth and thickness -- and with
curls no less!!

Great job - glad you shared your progress with us. :)

SpecialKitty
March 17th, 2009, 11:25 PM
WHOA!!!! :thudpile: That is some gorgeous hair, and incredible growth in a year, especially for a curly! Very inspirational - congratulations!!!

Farina
March 17th, 2009, 11:32 PM
incredible hair and even better progress! i think it's fantastic as it is now !

SimplyLonghair
March 18th, 2009, 12:24 AM
Thanks for sharing!

Isn't LHC wonderful?:cheese:

Debra83
March 18th, 2009, 12:40 AM
Thanks for sharing those!!! I'm all encouraged that I might reach waist from a year of joining here after all!!! Even WITH curlyish hair!!!

Aditi
March 18th, 2009, 01:47 AM
You curls are just beautiful i love it :crush:.

JamieLeigh
March 18th, 2009, 10:17 AM
Wow, what amazing growth you've had in a year! Congratulations on your anniversary...you should de-lurk more often! ;)

jeno
March 18th, 2009, 11:35 AM
WOW WOW WOW! What a growth! And the curls...
I love seeing all those photos!

Fencai
March 18th, 2009, 12:33 PM
wow!!! That's great!!! It looks so full and gorgeous!!! Congrats!

morningstar
March 19th, 2009, 08:42 PM
You have amazing curls. What great growth. :flowers: