PDA

View Full Version : Worse for wear? *routine question*

Heavenly Locks
March 16th, 2009, 08:55 PM
I switched to CO for the month of March and one of the things I notice is that it needs to be CO'd probably 2-3 times a week rather than the once every 5-6 days that it needed when I was CWC with my coney SLS products.

Hmmm...

Which is worse for wear on the hair? I mean, I am getting it wet at least twice as much. I air dry as much as I can but still blow the last 5% of water out so I can be rather smooth and not so whirly wavy.

I'm trying to decide if I want to go back to CWC...

CestMadeleine
March 16th, 2009, 08:57 PM
I actually find my hair is weaker now that I'm doing CO. So I dunno...I decided to switch back to CWC or just WC when I'm more greasy.

Aaaaand I think I might go back to cones. My hair just feels really weak without them.

You do what your hair likes, not what what LHC says :P

manderly
March 16th, 2009, 09:29 PM
CO was sucky for my hair. :shrug:

I would think that the longer periods between washing and less blowdrying would be better for your hair in the long run than avoiding SLS.

Peter
March 16th, 2009, 09:32 PM
I would think that the longer periods between washing and less blowdrying would be better for your hair in the long run than avoiding SLS.
Agreed. SLS is bad for some people's hair types or oil production, but for others it's just fine. If you like your hair better with your previous washing method then I say go back to that.

LittleOrca
March 16th, 2009, 09:56 PM
CO's have been great for my hair. lol, Just thought I'd throw in a different opinion. ;)

RancheroTheBee
March 16th, 2009, 10:48 PM
I felt my hair was weaker and greasier on a steady routine of CO. Now, I do it once a week or so to break up the monotony, or if I need to wash my hair early, just to tide me over. But it never seemed like anything I'd want to do all the time.

Roseate
March 16th, 2009, 11:55 PM
I experience the same thing with CO: I have to CO twice a week, but if I CWC I only do it once a week, even with my 1:10 diluted, nonsulfate poo.

CWC works better for me, since I don't really like the look of my hair on washday. In the summer sometimes I'll switch to CO if I'm swimming a lot and getting it wet more than once a week anyway.

I think a brief blowdry isn't that big a deal though, as long as it's done gently: not on hot, not pulling with a brush. So I'd pick the one that gives you better hair, and not worry about the blowdrying unless you're seeing damage.

EvaSimone
March 17th, 2009, 12:09 AM
I am going to be the voice of dissent here. I don't really think responsible washing is so bad because it can replenish moisture levels if done appropriately.

My hair likes being wet because it helps to replenish my moisture levels. The longer I go between washing the drier my ends get. BTW I am no cone, no sulfate and I usually will use a tiny drop of oil after washing to help seal in moisture. Frequent sulfate washing would probably not be so good IMO.

I wash my hair every other day and it seems to be doing just fine and is at 'can I call this hip length?'

CO was pretty terrible for my hair and it always felt lank and somewhat greasy.

Personally I say go with what made you and your hair feel the best. I tried all sorts of things when I first came to LHC (stretching washes, CO, WO, poo bars, coconut oil) I've been using no cone no sulfate and washing every other day for the last year with no experimentation at all. It's been the best decision I've ever made hair care wise. So if cones were what worked for your hair then more power to you. :D

As for blowdrying I don't think that's a huge deal as long as the heat isn't set at "burn hair to a crisp". I'll occasionally use magnetic rollers and a heat cap when I want voluminous wavy hair.

RancheroTheBee
March 17th, 2009, 12:48 AM
I've been using no cone no sulfate and washing every other day for the last year with no experimentation at all. It's been the best decision I've ever made hair care wise. So if cones were what worked for your hair then more power to you. :D

As for blowdrying I don't think that's a huge deal as long as the heat isn't set at "burn hair to a crisp". I'll occasionally use magnetic rollers and a heat cap when I want voluminous wavy hair.

Ha, I do both. I wish I could stretch washes, but I really can't. And blowdrying is sometimes just necessary when you have things to do.

Jeni
March 17th, 2009, 01:14 AM
I agree with everyone else, do what makes you and your hair happy. CO and extending my washes never worked for me so until very recently* I have been an every other day CWC'er with cones and sulfates. My hair and scalp is happy.

* I got my dairy whip which I have used twice as my shampoo. There is some argument over whether DW has sulfates in it btw, it cleans my hair like my SLS shampoo but my hair is softer. I will have to keep using it to see if I will need to occasionally use my regular SLS shampoo or not, so far I'm loving this stuff. If I have to rotate products that's fine, I like variety!

Cinnamon Hair
March 17th, 2009, 08:29 PM
There seems to be quite the mixture of opinions on this thread, at least one to back whatever method you may choose.

I will say that I CO daily, shampoo once a week (yes, it has SLS), and see no harm from it. My hair likes moisture and I like my hair more when it's freshly washed.

Kirin
March 17th, 2009, 08:42 PM
my hair had started getting really dry, so i decided to go CO for a while to help moisten it up. I've been doing it now about two weeks........ and its worse than it was before LOL. Its amazing how so many get such different results with things.

I'll likely go back to shampoo and condition daily, and just oil more!

Myrrh
March 17th, 2009, 10:15 PM
I didn't have any luck with CO, my hair hated it. I went back to CWC and my hair is back to normal again.

I tried WO, and that didn't work either. I just use a clarifying shampoo once a week when I do my CWC. :)

Heavenly Locks
March 17th, 2009, 11:00 PM
The things I like about CO are:

my hair feels better
less scalp itch
more moisture in my hair.
I also like feeling like I am "doing something" special that will make my hair happy.

The things I don't like so far:

I have to do it more often.
If I don't do it correctly, I end up greasy.
I feel like I have less luster to my hair.
Even on the first day, it's not the same as CWC first day fluffy.

I am not sure what I should do other than stick it out for another week and a half and then evaluate. :)

icydove
March 18th, 2009, 01:52 PM
I would say go with whichever way you are happier with your hair :) My guess is they are about equal in harshness/gentleness (CWC less often compared to CO more often).