PDA

View Full Version : Better Blonde or Brunette? Celeb Hair Photo Essay

Sissy
March 16th, 2009, 08:21 PM
I thought this celeb photo essay on Fox News was kinda interesting. It shows various female celebrities with blonde and brunette hair and judges which shade they look better with:
http://www.foxnews.com/photoessay/0,4644,6791,00.html#10_55

I actually disagree with a couple of the judgments, which seemed to lead towards blonde on most celebs. However, I'm a brunette so might be partial to it :p

DecafJane
March 16th, 2009, 08:36 PM
I agree - a couple that they said were better blonde looked so trashy but when they were brunette it looked lovely.

manderly
March 16th, 2009, 08:41 PM
The only one I didn't agree with was Ashly Tisdale. The rest felt spot on. :)

Copasetic
March 16th, 2009, 08:44 PM
I agreed with them for the most part. I think the Britney Spears one was weird. They showed the least flattering picture of her as a brunette, and a really flattering picture of her as a blond.

Debra83
March 16th, 2009, 11:44 PM
Funny how much color changes someone's looks.

Debra83
March 16th, 2009, 11:45 PM
It's like length. IMO, USUALLY shorter hair makes people look older to me.

AnnaMarie
March 17th, 2009, 12:20 AM
I thought all except Britney and Fergie looked better brunette, although that was a terrible picture of Britney with brunette hair, in others I've seen of her with brunette hair she looked stunning. I think it blonde hair can sometimes make people look washed out. Brunette hair also makes blue eyes pop, not literally of course!!:p

sapphire-o
March 17th, 2009, 01:31 AM
I think a couple of them look wrong in both shades. If they picked golden brown or red they'd look much better.

*I didn't know "brunette" color is nearly black. :)

Anlbe
March 17th, 2009, 02:12 AM
Very interesting, some of the brunette shots are hilarious - that's an awful photograph of Britney. It's a shame they limited it just to very pale blonde and dark brunette, for example Linsey Lohan look much much better with auburn hair.

Finoriel
March 17th, 2009, 02:12 AM
Seconding sapphire-o, some of them look false in both shades.
The second line in the title made me giggle :p "ten celebs with restless hair syndrome"... mmh seems like.

Emme76
March 17th, 2009, 02:32 AM
I love the brunette pictures. I think that most of them looked better brunette - except Britney. BUT that might have been the bad picture. Maybe scarlett looked a bit better blond. But I just love Camerons dark brown hair with her blue eyes...lovely!

Unofficial_Rose
March 17th, 2009, 03:09 AM
Ashley Tisdale and Hilary Duff both look much better brunette, IMO.

I agree with the others, but it's true what Sapphire-O says, they've picked one extreme or the other. Maybe slebs cannot "do" inbetween shades as not dramatic enough? :confused:

I do agree that Britney can also look good as a brunette, e.g. in that vid where she is blonde at the bar and brunette swinging round a pole - looks stunning as a brunette in that!

Would be great if Lindsay Lohan went back to auburn, although she seems to look good in all shades.

(I suffer from Restless Hair Syndrome and yo-yo between colours. It should be funny but it's not :()

mellie
March 17th, 2009, 06:55 AM
It's true, many of them looked very elegant and stunning with dark hair. Certainly Angelina Jolie and Ashley Tisdale definitely look better brunette, IMO! :-)

FallenAngel
March 17th, 2009, 07:08 AM
:twocents:
These gorgeous women... "Everything suits a beauty"

Angelina is in my opinion much more beautiful as brunette, Scarlett is a dream in both, but as a blonde she is more a rare bird.

But hey, they all look great no matter what hair colour. :shrug:

brok3nwings
March 17th, 2009, 07:23 AM
scarlett johansson for me looks sooooooo much better with darker hair. Although she is really beautiful and can take anything. but with the redish colour its just amazing! And they did go for blonde...
but the one for me that is a complete NO NO NO is Ashley Tisdale ... is it just me or the blonde just is the most fake colour that could be for her???

Anyway i think that almost every star hairdresser just loves making everyone blonde and making that fake beachy look that for me reminds me of barbies... and i am more of a natural complexion lover

Tap Dancer
March 17th, 2009, 07:30 AM
I don't know some of these women, but I looked at all the pics. :)

1. Reese Witherspoon: I agree that she looks better as a blonde.

2. Scarlett Johansson: I disagree; she looks better as a brunette. I don't like that shade of blonde on her and it looks horrible with her dark eyebrows.

3. Mary Kate Olsen: I agree that she looks better as a blonde. But...ugh!! She and her sister always look like drowned rats to me. I think it's the heavy makeup they always wear. Their hair looks stingy and oily too.

4. Cameron Diaz: I agree that she looks better as a blonde. Brown hair isn't bad on her, but a lighter brown would be more flattering.

5. Hilary Duff: I agree that she looks better as a blonde.

6. Lindsay Lohan: I don't like her as a blonde or a brunette. Red is her color.

7. Britney Spears: I agree that she looks better as a blonde. I'm used to seeing her that way. Lighter brown hair looks okay, but she tends to go way too dark and black is not her color.

8. Angelina Jolie: I agree that she looks better as a brunette. Blonde is too weird on her.

9. Fergie: I agree that she looks better as a blonde. But she's unattractive (IMO) either way. :p

Phalaenopsis
March 17th, 2009, 12:08 PM
Lindsay looks best with her gorgeous auburn hair.:)

What happened with keeping your own colour?

And I don't like Scarlett with brown hair. :o But the picture with her with blonde hair is really bad.

sandigirl
March 17th, 2009, 12:16 PM
Lindsay Lohan is better as a redhead. Same for Julia Roberts and Angelina Jolie. Not orangy-red but a medium brunette with lots of red highlights.

magpielaura
March 17th, 2009, 12:31 PM
I thought some of the dark hair colours didn't work because they were too dark, and quite flat. A more subtle shade would suit much better. They end up obviosly dyed as there are no variations of tone. A lot of the blonde dye-jobs are really multi-tonal and look a lot better, though they do all end up looking like photo-fit images of the archetypal "hollywood star" which gets a bit boring...a bit more variation would be nice to see (I might be able to recognise and tell the difference between some of them then!)

Arashi
March 17th, 2009, 12:55 PM
It seems to me as though the author of the article believes everyone is "better blonde!"..
Personally, I would choose the darker hair colors for all of them, lol.

Unofficial_Rose
March 17th, 2009, 01:07 PM
I thought some of the dark hair colours didn't work because they were too dark, and quite flat. A more subtle shade would suit much better. They end up obviosly dyed as there are no variations of tone. A lot of the blonde dye-jobs are really multi-tonal and look a lot better, though they do all end up looking like photo-fit images of the archetypal "hollywood star" which gets a bit boring...a bit more variation would be nice to see (I might be able to recognise and tell the difference between some of them then!)

I think that this is it! Covering dyed blonde hair with dark permanent dye results in this sort of look, which often doesn't look so good. Covering dyed blonde with henna & indigo tends to look better as the colour is less flat & dead-looking, imho. :twocents:

Evie
March 17th, 2009, 02:40 PM
I honestly though Mary-Kate Olsen looked much better with the darker golden-brown tones, and IMHO Scarlett Johansson's hair is just a bit too blonde in the pic they have, I'm sure I've seen photos of her with a more natural darker / golder blonde which I thought looked great....

I agree though, the flat dark tone you get with chemical dye just sometimes looks a bit dull and unreal, I think...

feralnature
March 17th, 2009, 08:31 PM
Finally someone has addressed the issue of Lindsey Lohan's hair color choices. To me, she looks horrid as a blonde, completely wrong for her complexion. It's like "My eyes, it's burning my eyes!"

CaliRose
March 29th, 2009, 02:09 AM
Ashley Tisdale and Hilary Duff both look much better brunette, IMO.
\

I agree- "plain Jane" for Ashley Tisdale as a brunette? No way- I thought the darker color suited her complexion better than that particular shade of blonde. In the picture on that site, it seemed to wash her out a tiny bit. But that's just going by these two pictures. I'm not very familiar with this actress but with all the marketing of her Disney shows and movies that has been around lately, I think that blonde has sort of become part of her image? People might associate her with that particular style and are not as receptive to a different look...a slightly darker blonde would probably look nice, though.

Lindsay Lohan will always be a redhead in my mind. I liked her hair shade best in "Mean Girls".