PDA

View Full Version : Castor Oil

s_tresses
March 16th, 2009, 03:55 PM
I have been wanting to use castor oil on my hair to improve my hair line. The only problem is washing it out since it is very thick. I dont use sulfates or cones and I am guessing it doesnt wash out without shampoo. Does anyone have any alternatives?

1) Has anyone successfully washed out castor oil with CO? If yes then what conditioner do you use?

2) Would another cleansing methods work, like eggs? amla and aritha powder?

3) I am thinking about mixing castor oil with avocado oil so that it is easier to apply. Does this minimize the benefits of castor oil? Is this combination easier to wash out?

tina1025
March 16th, 2009, 05:21 PM
I mix castor oil with almond oil and rosemary and nettle essential oil.....I only use one or two drop of this mixture which is more then enough for my hair. IMO, i dont think mixing castor oil with other oils minimizes benefits of castor oil.

I wash my hair with aritha and i have no problem getting rid of all the oil....

I used to use shampoo bar to wash my hair and i had no problem getting rid of all the oil.

misstwist
March 16th, 2009, 07:29 PM
I've been using castor oil on my hair everyday for the past couple months and don't have any problem with it coming out. When I do use shampoo it's usually the Queen Helene Mint Julep which is sulfate-free. I only shampoo once every couple of weeks or so, usually just use one of the tropical coconut rinses or the cure care if I think I need protein.

logica_divina
March 17th, 2009, 09:32 AM
Although very thick, castor oil is easily removed with CO method. At least in my case :) This applies to any combo of oils really.

Katze
March 17th, 2009, 10:31 AM
I mix my castor oil with wheat germ oil and use this for OCM and body oiling, and smear the rest onto my damp hair. However, I usually do this on nights before I swim, so I am using shampoo (sulfate or non sulfate) to get the chlorine out. I'm really liking what this does for my hair overall - the ends and my coarser nape hairs are much softer than they've ever been.

xeternalsilence
March 17th, 2009, 03:11 PM
I've gotten castor oil out with CO.
I use V05.

jojo
March 17th, 2009, 10:44 PM
Ive used this in the past and really like the results I got from it. CO washes the oil out with no problem, I used to mix mine with sweet almond oil, to make it less sticky and thick.

s_tresses
March 18th, 2009, 10:54 PM
Thank You all for your input :blossom:

princess
March 19th, 2009, 01:40 PM
Casor oil can be removed with Shikakai and chick pea flour mixture made into a paste.

Farina
March 25th, 2009, 12:05 AM
Soo I bought some castor oil ( http://www.walgreens.com/store/product.jsp?id=prod4021949&CATID=100235&skuid=sku4020798&V=G&ec=frgl_532707&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=sku4020798 )as I have been having a problem with major frizzage and I was hoping this would help.... I put some in and apparently it was way too much and even after washing it still looks greasy. How much should I put in? I have pretty fine hair and I put probably a quarters worth in. Should I do this daily? Is this good to use as a leave in?

Thannkss :)

MotherConfessor
March 25th, 2009, 12:40 AM
waaay too much oil

Assuming you mean a quarter sized dollop... I have lower back length hair and i only use a few drops. I believe the standard is just enough to make your palms shiny. I use castor oil for my ocm because it is a very cleansing oil, I cannot recall hearing about it being used as a leave in. Maybe someone else here knows more about that particular oil for hair.

Aditi
March 25th, 2009, 12:48 AM
Castor oil is considered as one of heavy oil for hair. When i was in school my mom used to apply that on my hair. I have very dry hair but still i find it hard to wash out that oil, it resulted into using a dollop of shampoo just to get that oil out :justy:. Castor oil is very good for hair as it conditions hair and protects them from pollution and dust. As you have fine hair i suggest you to take only few drops and then apply it, you can repeat it till it completely covers your scalp that way you wont over apply it. I used to apply this oil only once in a week.

chrissy-b
March 25th, 2009, 01:06 AM
I use castor oil in a mix for my scalp massage. I use a small dropper bottle and only fill it up about 1/4 with castor, a few drops of essential oils and the rest with another carrier oil. I never use it for a leave-in because it's too sticky and way too heavy for me. The heaviest oil I'll use for a leave-in is olive oil and even that it usually too heavy for my fine hair.

Katze
March 25th, 2009, 03:46 AM
Oil on fine hair is, in my experience, a tricky thing.

And castor oil is a very heavy oil to start with. Olive or coconut might work better for you.

When I first came here I had been trying to 'oil' my hair and kept getting greasy results. Finally I heard the trick about 'just enough to make your palms shine, applied from the ears down' and did this rarely and carefully, and it seemed to be OK...but every other time I oiled, I put too much in, or did it too often, and got 'bacon strips.'

Then I figured out that oil works better on damp hair, and after seriously stretching my washes (I'm talking no washing, not even WO, for ten days) and oiling, then washing with SLS shampoo, I got good results. But it took a LOT of trial and error. Years' worth.

Lately I have been oiling the ends and nape of my hair (the parts that need it most - ends damaged, nape coarser and dryer) whenever my hair gets damp in the shower or bath. Damp hair seems to take oil better, and I use the same castor oil/wheat germ oil mix that I am using for OCM and for skin care. It is currently working OK on my hair, but I am also using Fox's Conditioning Cream more than I oil.

I would suggest maybe skipping the oil altogether, except for a VERY light amount, and trying leave-ins or something like Fox's Cream instead. The results (IMO) are the same, but leave-ins are easier to control than oil, in my experience.

good luck!

Farina
March 25th, 2009, 06:44 AM
thanks everyone for your input :)

misstwist
March 25th, 2009, 07:41 AM
I use castor oil every day and don't have any trouble with build-up or removal. I use just enough oil to make my plams shiney and use it just on the last three or four inches where my hair is driest.

For deep oilings I use coconut oil.

burns_erin
March 25th, 2009, 07:54 AM
You may want to put your hair type in so we can answer your question a bit better, but...

1. You may have used way too much, as others have said, a few drops should do it.

2. Castor oil may just be too heavy, you may want to try a few different oils. I like grapeseed oil, but many like jojoba and coconut. If you like in the projects section there are polls.

3. If you have fine hair, oil may be in and of itself too heavy for a leave in for you. If that is the case, I would suggest using plain old vegetable glycerine. It is a humectant.

Honey39
March 25th, 2009, 11:51 AM
I like jojoba oil myself - that's a light oil that doesn't seem to suddenly overload your hair the way that other oils do. I have pretty thick hair, so I tend to tilt the bottle against my palm (flat), and then rub that between my hands and work through the bottom half of my hair, and then the same on the other side. I never oil near my scalp in the morning (I do at night), as that just looks a bit rancid on me.

SmellyJelly
March 25th, 2009, 12:46 PM
When I apply oils I tip the bottle upside down onto the palm of my hand, I don't pour it. So what is left in my hand after I tip it is usually what I apply through my hair, I have BSL. I find this is a good way of controlling how much you are putting in your hair so it doesn't look greasy. I never put more than three of the 'tips' in my hair. A little goes a long way, espeically as others have said, that castor oil is a heavy oil :)

BlackfootHair
March 25th, 2009, 01:36 PM
I would try a few drops at a time till it feels right...I personally don't use castor oil often because of that reason. I really like coconut oil myself.