PDA

View Full Version : Hurrah! My first henna is a huge success!

Choccielocks
April 1st, 2008, 12:01 PM
:happydance: So excited - washed hair and dried it after first henna - it's amazing! Perfect colour (left it on 3 hours) still brown but with a red glow that's even redder in sunlight. Condition is amazing and also now join the ranks of those who lost some curl, probably now more of a 2a/b instead of 2c. Is this because of increased condition of hair?
Anyway, just wanted to say a bit thanks to all on the contributors on the henna threads, especially nightshade and khyricat for their expert advice, without which I might never have taken the plunge!! :flower:

Carina
April 1st, 2008, 12:09 PM
Congrats to you and your new color:cheese:.I want to see a picture or two of your hair.:)

jesamyn
April 1st, 2008, 12:44 PM
Congrats and welcome to the ranks of henna-heads! My theory (for what it's worth) is that the hair straightens some because of the weight, or at least that is what I think on my own head.

Choccielocks
April 1st, 2008, 12:53 PM
Thanks guys - will try and get some pics done. Your theory seems to make sense to me jesamyn, quite like the new texture, much less frizzy and a more uniform wave all over.

Just got to figure out what to do regarding root regrowth now! need to make less mess next time too - got some red stains on our white bath - hubby is not impressed! How often do you do a full head/roots?

zift
April 1st, 2008, 01:00 PM
Hey congratularions on your first henna! It sounds wonderful:)
I'm also a natural 2c wavy and after using henna I almost completely lost my curls. My hair is less frizzy and less wavy too. And I also noticed that my strands used to have an irregular cuticle,like zigzags ,now they're smooth.
waiting impatiently for your pictures:D

EvilPigeon
April 1st, 2008, 01:13 PM
Congrats! I recently had my first henna,too =] I can't wait to see pictures!

Choccielocks
April 1st, 2008, 01:13 PM
Isn't it strange? I hope you like your lack of curl zift?!
Weird thing is, a few years ago when st*****tening irons (sorry for my bad language!) were invented, I was addicted to them and hated the slightest curl on my head and would iron it out as quickly as I could. I've since got to love my curls and have spent ages trying to perfect my routine in order to get the best, most defined curls.
Oh well, I'm kinda in the middle now! :shrug:

khyricat
April 1st, 2008, 01:16 PM
I have MORE wurlies.. and I do mine every 3 weeks, but I think it looks best the first week or so..

Amie

Remke
Congrats! I recently had my first henna,too =] I can't wait to see pictures!

Your color is also amazing Eveil Pigeon! (Funny name :lol: )

Choccielocks I'de also love to see a picture! :cheer:

Choccielocks
Wow evilpigeon (great username!) your hair is gorgeous! Mine isn't that red, but close to it when the sun shines on it. Did yours change much after the first few days and do that oxidizing thing? Hopefully get my pics done tomorrow x

Choccielocks
April 1st, 2008, 01:19 PM
Khyricat - do you do your whole head or just roots every three weeks? If it's your whole head, does the colour just keep geting redder and redder or does it stay pretty consistent?

Nightshade
April 1st, 2008, 01:25 PM
S
Anyway, just wanted to say a bit thanks to all on the contributors on the henna threads, especially nightshade and khyricat for their expert advice, without which I might never have taken the plunge!! :flower:

You are so very welcome, and I'm glad you're happy with your results. :flowers:

My personal theory on the loss of curl in some is that henna 1) strengthens the cuticle inside the hair, which I think makes it more prone to straightening, and 2) forms a permeable coating on the hair, which forces the cuticle to lay flatter, which I feel also may contribute to the straightening effect (as well as weight, but I think that may be less of a major factor, but still one to consider).

Not to answer for khyricat, but I had to switch to roots-only applications to keep the color I want, and even after not doing a full head treatment for over a year, I still have never gotten my lost wave back.

Choccielocks
April 1st, 2008, 01:48 PM
okee dokee - so roots-only is the next thing I need to master then! Luckily, I'm not worried about losing the curls, much rather have the smoother, glossier hair i've got now! Thanks again for your help xx

Henna Sooq
April 2nd, 2008, 03:04 PM
Right on congrats!!

Elfling
April 2nd, 2008, 03:09 PM
I have no curls to speak of, but I have sooo much less frizz using henna. It is teh awesome.

Nynaeve
April 2nd, 2008, 04:32 PM
:happydance: So excited - washed hair and dried it after first henna - it's amazing! Perfect colour (left it on 3 hours) still brown but with a red glow that's even redder in sunlight. Condition is amazing and also now join the ranks of those who lost some curl, probably now more of a 2a/b instead of 2c. Is this because of increased condition of hair?

Grats to you and your new naturally changed color!!! (and hair health benefits :P)

Pics please! ;)

Choccielocks
April 3rd, 2008, 12:48 PM
Well, i've taken my pics and saved them onto my computer but haign trouble uploading them on here. Have posted on site support to find out what I'm doing wrong. Do I have to have a certain number of posts before I can post pics?

khyricat
April 3rd, 2008, 01:26 PM
I do whole head, BUT I have VERY dark hair, and want my silvers to blend.. or at least be as dark a red as possible so they just look like natural highlights and it works.. mom stopped doing henna at all because it got too red eventually as the whites took over.. I may follow in her footsteps.

Choccielocks
April 3rd, 2008, 03:33 PM
http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk250/choccielocks/clarephotos004.jpg

http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk250/choccielocks/clarephotos003.jpg

Well, I think I've finally worked out how to to upload pics, hope they work! This was taken earlier today and the henna has definitely darkened since which I expected to happen thanks to all the info on the henna thread. Still pleased with results - it's been really sunny here today and couldn't stop grabbing the ends of my hair and checking it out!

Choccielocks
April 3rd, 2008, 03:34 PM
Wow - wasn't expecting them to be quite such massive pictures - sorry!

morningstar
April 3rd, 2008, 04:21 PM
Very pretty after shots. Is your hair brown as a base color? Take some outdoor shots when you can it is so pretty in the sunshine.
Good job and welcome to the henna side.

wintersun99
April 3rd, 2008, 07:35 PM
... less mess next time too - got some red stains on our white bath - hubby is not impressed!

regular household bleach will take out the stains :D

ILikeTreefrogs
April 4th, 2008, 03:27 AM
Very nice!! I love how shiny it is!

ILikeTreefrogs
April 4th, 2008, 03:28 AM
And EvilPidgeon, that colour is gorgeous!! I dyed mine a similar colour, and got so much crap from everyone I ended up dying it back to brown.

missy60
April 4th, 2008, 08:24 AM
Wow you did get an awesome color. Your hair looks great!

Choccielocks
April 4th, 2008, 10:13 AM
Thanks everyone! And thanks for the housekeeping tips wintersun! Will definitely take some pics in the sunshine - weather's back to being cloudy and overcast again :(
morningstar - yes brown is my natural colour and it also had some dark brown semi-permanent chemical dye in it - not doing that any more, learnt my lesson!

EvilPigeon
April 5th, 2008, 12:09 PM
Wow evilpigeon (great username!) your hair is gorgeous! Mine isn't that red, but close to it when the sun shines on it. Did yours change much after the first few days and do that oxidizing thing? Hopefully get my pics done tomorrow x

Thank you :) It definetely changed after a few days, yes.. It was rather orange at first but since has darkened and deepened into a reddish color.

By the way, your color is absolutely gorgeous! I love auburn & reddish hair. Especially dark auburn and medium Auburn, like Nightshade's hair.

EvilPigeon
April 5th, 2008, 12:19 PM
And EvilPidgeon, that colour is gorgeous!! I dyed mine a similar colour, and got so much crap from everyone I ended up dying it back to brown.

That's awful :( I get alot of crap about my hair color,too. I'm trying to darken it into a more natural auburn type color,but my success is minimal. :cool: i personally adore red hair and enjoy having it very much-any shade of red,really(just not fire truck red!). My SO is the one who has inspired me to keep it for so long(I've had it for over a year now). But my older sister and I have a dog show hobby, so she has been urging me to go for a more natural,professional look. :rolleyes: Everyone at school calls me "Wendy".

EvilPigeon
April 5th, 2008, 12:21 PM
Your color is also amazing Eveil Pigeon! (Funny name :lol: )

Choccielocks I'de also love to see a picture! :cheer:

Thank you :) I love your color as well! Do you use Henna too?

Choccielocks
April 6th, 2008, 03:11 AM
Evilpigeon - what colour is your natural colour? I say ignore everyone and keep your hair as it is! It's so vibrant!