PDA

View Full Version : Post-preggo straw hair....help?

Jessie
March 16th, 2009, 10:18 AM
My DD was born 6 weeks ago. (Yay!!!) Here's what's going on with my hair.... When I was pregnant, my hair split pretty badly as usual, but it grew longer than it's ever grown before! Unfortunately, the post-preggo hormones are doing a number on the mane. It's splitting all the way up the length, it's dry no matter how much oil and CO I use, and it's dull as dirt to top all the ickyness off. Great for the post-preggy emotional hoopla... :-P Thankfully hubby hasn't seemed to notice the damage, but it's bugging me like crazy. (obsessive??) Does anyone have any ideas on what might be a good "pick-me-up"?

plainjanegirl
March 16th, 2009, 10:28 AM
Maybe try to treat yourself to frequent deep conditioning treatments.
Btw - your hair is beautiful in your sig pic.....and congrats on a new baby.

Anje
March 16th, 2009, 10:31 AM
Because of the dullness, and the fact that soaking in conditioner isn't helping, I'm thinking you might have some buildup. How does clarifying followed by an SMT sound? You might also want to make some of Fox's shea butter conditioning cream, since it seems to work when oils don't.

plainjanegirl
March 16th, 2009, 10:36 AM
Because of the dullness, and the fact that soaking in conditioner isn't helping, I'm thinking you might have some buildup. How does clarifying followed by an SMT sound? You might also want to make some of Fox's shea butter conditioning cream, since it seems to work when oils don't.

I agree with this. Sorry I didn't pick up on that conditioner was not working.

Jessie
March 18th, 2009, 10:02 AM
Thanks ladies-I'm going to try to clarify and try an SMT next washing and see if that helps. :-)

earthdancer
March 18th, 2009, 10:19 AM
You may want to increase your protein and fat intake, as well, especially since the damage probably actually began during your pregnancy. You may have become deficient (a very common problem). Also, if you are breastfeeding, your body is still taking nutrients from you to give to your baby and you aren't replacing the nutrients you lost during pregnancy yet. May I suggest increasing your calcium intake, too?

I'm not suggesting eating twice as much, as in eating for two; just a small increase can help a lot.

Has the condition of your skin changed at all? Dry? Your ability to heal small cuts or bruises?