PDA

View Full Version : Coconut milk question

PrliamntofRooks
March 16th, 2009, 07:39 AM
Yesterday I decided to break out the coconut milk and see what that would do, partly because I think I've got a moisture problem (somewhat limp and very fly-away hair), and partly out of curiosity.

It took 3 scalp washes (with head and shoulders) to get all the oil out of the top, and my length is greasy as all get out!. I've got it up today and will have to wash again tonight, so it's not a horrible situation (at least it got me back on the "updo wagon"), but I'm wondering about all the oiliness:

Is this because I could have been more agressive in washing the lenght, or is this indicative that perhaps my hair isn't as moisture needy as I thought? Secondarily is that fact that I used Suave coconut condish part of the problem?

Loviatar
March 16th, 2009, 09:34 AM
I'm not a coconut milk genius, but I think that the ladies who use CM on LHC use the 'lite' or lowfat version. Was your CM lowfat?

I dont think the conditioner would have caused a problem after 3 scalp washes. I could be wrong though.

PrliamntofRooks
March 16th, 2009, 09:52 AM
You know, I didn't check. It was cooking grade from the Asian Grocery so if I had to guess, I would say it was not.

I was going to start on a S&D tonight because I've noticed some splits the last few days, but that will have to wait until I can get all the oils out. Oh, well....live and learn! At least the top looks shiny and feels really soft.

dulce-de-leche
March 16th, 2009, 09:15 PM
HMM I used coconut milk this past week and I didnt get oily hair with full strenghth coconut milk:shrug:

RancheroTheBee
March 16th, 2009, 11:30 PM
I dilute it in conditioner, myself. Otherwise, all the fat gets way too intense, and you're washing for days.

ETA: Bah, wait. Is that what you did?

tabitie
March 17th, 2009, 08:07 AM
Maybe a little bit goes a long way? Try 1/8 of a can next time, use no more than the ends can absorb? I thought the idea was for the hair to "absorb" the oil and protein treatments before it dried, usually on the lengths only, and that most of the northern European hair is too porous to oil after washing (just looks greasy)...

Anyway, that's my attempt to summarize what I've been studying from this board. I haven't tried oiling yet.

PrliamntofRooks
March 17th, 2009, 03:32 PM
OK, it took 2 shampoos with Suave daily clarifying to get everything out.

My hair feels soft, and is very straight, and feels much thinner (?) for lack of a better word. It's still somewhat static-y, but I think its better than it was.

We'll see how things go until my next wash.

ratgirldjh
March 17th, 2009, 04:20 PM
i have had great success in removing VCO with suave tropical conditioner. i find it much easier to remove with conditioner versus poo.

what i have noticed (this is with coconut oil not milk though) is that if my hair is VERY dry it seems to be harder for it to let go of the oil - so if my hair is dry the oil is harder to wash out than if my hair is not so dry - easier to wash out

also it seems easier (a little) to wash out the oil if i leave it on overnight versus just a few hours.

keep in mind that i have only used the oil - but since coconut milk is mostly coconut oil - i think it would be similarly hard to wash out.

i am going to try using coconut cream (coco loco) next time i decide to do a coconut oil treatment :)

edit: and virgin coconut oil definitely makes my hair shinier and softer - the non virgin kind made it frizzy and dry

Kirin
March 17th, 2009, 07:13 PM
I cant use coconut milk straight for that same reason, super oilies that take days to get rid of. Instead I make sure I shake it really well and use only two tablespoons in another treatment.

PrliamntofRooks
March 17th, 2009, 09:30 PM
I'll try that next time. I also super-saturated my hair. It is BSL right now, and I maybe had 3 tbsp. left out of a whole can of the stuff! I also let it sit for about 1.5-2 hours before I washed it the first time.

AnnaMarie
March 18th, 2009, 01:52 AM
Next time try "washing" it out using conditioner instead of shampoo. For some reason I find it removes oil from hair better than conditoner, in my experience anyways hth :)