PDA

View Full Version : Trying to grow out layers arrrgghhh!

Olivia23
March 15th, 2009, 10:02 PM
My hair was all one length, a little past my shoulders when I got the bright idea to get layers. It was before I was really active in this site (I had found the site before, but really never got into it). I wish I had paid more attention to this site before I done it, because the main reason I did it was because I did not know what to do with my hair. All I could do was buns, but even then I would put it in a ponytail first, then wrap it around, the use bobby pins to secure it. I didn't really know how to use bobby pins, so I was always yanking them out because they wouldn't stay right.

Now months later, I am getting closer to waist, but my shortest layer is touching my shoulder. I admit when I first got it layered, the stylist curled my hair and it looked gorgeous. Now since I am trying to avoid curling irons, it is bothering me. I cannot even put it in a decent bun now. Of course now I have some hair toys, but it's still hard for me to get all my hair up because of my freaking layers!!!

I guess the only answer for me to grow it out is to get a small trim about twice a year or so. I don't really know how often, and like others I dread the salon because you are in their hands. You never know how much they really will take off until it's too late.

GlennaGirl
March 15th, 2009, 10:06 PM
Is your hair straight, wavy or curly?

I didn't mind growing out my layers. I found they really enlivened a bun. But then again, I love that messy, tousled look. It's even better on wavy or curly hair.

If it were me, I'd leave them alone for now.

jojo
March 15th, 2009, 10:19 PM
Obviously because you are growing your hair cutting to all one length isn't an option! I too had layers once upon a time and I just ignored them and concentrated on the length i was gaining. I did regular dustings all last year and my hair is near enough all one length now at the back, eventually the layers will catch up, but until then i dont see any reason why you can't wear your hair up, I think layered hair can look quite nice up, kinda funky.

steph in tx
March 15th, 2009, 10:20 PM
I'm growing out length AND layers, so I can definitely understand what you're going through. Pretty much the only updo I can do right now is a french twist or a peacock twist, but I like those, so it isn't too bad. At least the layers don't really mess those up too badly. Another thing that looks ok for me is to put it in a french twist while it's damp. Then the next day I put it in a low ponytail with a flexi8. Having been twisted for a whole day the layers look kind of cool and the ponytail kind of highlights them. Maybe that will give you some ideas while you wait for the layers to grow out?

marajade
March 15th, 2009, 10:41 PM
Ugh I feel for you sister! I hated my layers for a long time. I just got a trim and its really close to being one length now. Hair pins and tiny jaw clips are your friend! You might consider getting your layers reshaped about every six months or so if you feel they look sloppy! HTH!

Olivia23
March 15th, 2009, 10:51 PM
GlennaGirl - I have wavy hair if I air dry it, but if I brush it after it's dry, I usually end up with a few bumps here and there, no real waves. I hate having to wait for it to grow out. I am so impatient!

babbleball
March 15th, 2009, 10:56 PM
I tried growing out layers several times, every time I gave up and chopped it short. I was too broke for awhile to afford regular haircuts and bam! Layers grew themselves out mostly.

steph in tx
March 15th, 2009, 11:00 PM
I'm growing out length AND layers, so I can definitely understand what you're going through. Pretty much the only updo I can do right now is a french twist or a peacock twist, but I like those, so it isn't too bad. At least the layers don't really mess those up too badly. Another thing that looks ok for me is to put it in a french twist while it's damp. Then the next day I put it in a low ponytail with a flexi8. Having been twisted for a whole day the layers look kind of cool and the ponytail kind of highlights them. Maybe that will give you some ideas while you wait for the layers to grow out?

Omens
March 15th, 2009, 11:03 PM
My shortest layers were at my chin and are now at BSL. It takes awhile, but they will grow, never fear. :) I really hated waiting (I'm impatient too), but I am so glad I did, because I am way more impatient to get to tailbone than I am to have a straight cut.

I know it's frustrating right now because they are getting in the way, but I would say if you really want long hair, wait on the evening up. If it's at shoulder, it doesn't have too far to go before it will stop getting in the way so much. Once you can get it all in with your other hair in other updos, you might change your mind on having to keep trimming to even it. Just a suggestion. Then again, if you really want a blunt hemline, trimming might be best. :shrug:

hanne jensen
March 16th, 2009, 12:28 AM
I'm growing out layers too and I curse them every day. My hair is just pass shoulder, not quite APL. I can get all my layers up in a donut bun. A donut is a round rat. I don't ise an elastic first, because I don't want to damage my hair. To hold the ends that won't fit in my donut I hold up with a few hair friendly barrettes or mini claws. I'm impatient too. Have you checked out the monostat thread?

steph in tx
March 16th, 2009, 12:36 AM
Ok, I'm sure this is a stupid question, but what is a donut bun? My hair is between shoulder and APL as well and I can't do a bun that doesn't come undone and look like a hedgehog!

jeno
March 16th, 2009, 12:52 AM
I guess a donut bun is the same thing as a sock bun!

Aditi
March 16th, 2009, 01:33 AM
I love layers but now i am growing them out. And i don't have any problem with the bun as layers makes them messy and i like messy bun too.

sweetbluesky
March 16th, 2009, 11:54 PM
I feel your pains guys! I have layers that make my hair look strange. They grew out and I decided to cut my hair to make it look more presentable and less scraggly. It feels much better than my siggy pic, but I still have a lot of layers. I have always liked layers because they make my hair curlier. But, I wonder how my hair would look with a blunt hemline, or a slight U shaped cut. I would like to see if this may be a better look for me.
Right now, my shortest layer is at my collarbone, the rest of my hair is mid-back length. It will take me a year or so for my shortest layers to reach mid-back. :mad: I hope to be waist in one year. I am going to do my hardest not to cave and get a haircut. I need to be strong and patient in growing out the layers. The inbetween growth period stinks. We need to encourage and support each other!:cool: I need to keep telling myself that it will grow!

Katze
March 17th, 2009, 04:08 AM
I am growing out layers too and have trimmed a lot since coming to LHC. Part of my layers were deliberate (a heavy shag cut in '04), part are 'natural' (new growth and nape hairs finally growing longer). I estimate about 1/2 my hair is in some kind of 'layer' length.

On freshly washed hair when it's wavy they don't look half bad. But they SUCK for updos. No matter what I do updos get wild and messy, and I don't mean cute girly messy (I can do those if I try) but frazzled, bag-lady-looking messy. Even my neat updos are messy because of waves, frizz, and baby hairs. Oh well.

I deal with my layers by wearing my hair mostly down or in 'dos that look like the messiness is on purpose (right now I have it loosely piled on top of my head and clipped there with a Ficcare, with tendrils coming down). Braids only work on oiled, brushed, 'dirty' hair, and I still have to redo them.

enfys
March 17th, 2009, 04:16 AM
I have a similar issue to lots of you: almost waist, layers from collarbone down.

I just put up with the layers and hope they bother me more than anyone else. My buns look scruffy and I hate them but it's my own fault and if I don't go through this I won't ever have nice buns!

When I do a plait I leave the tassel bit longer so less bits stick out.

Johanna
March 17th, 2009, 09:39 AM
Thankfully I only have old front face framing layers. The shortest layer is at apl. I hate it when they stick out of my braids. I can't wait to have smooth braids with no poky bits hanging out.

I accidently typed brains twice then lol.