PDA

View Full Version : Nighttime hair care - do you bun, braid, bonnet? to protect

Speckla
March 15th, 2009, 07:28 PM
I've discovered this lovely bonnet. It helps greatly with second day hair and nighttime tangling.

http://images45.fotki.com/v1481/photos/7/1199357/7236771/Picture165-vi.jpg
________
JAILBROKEN (http://jailbroken.org/)

Brat
March 15th, 2009, 07:46 PM
I leave it loose. I try to lay it across my pillow so I'm not lying on it. And I aim it away from my hubby when he's home, he tends to tangle in it somehow. It's not even that long!

Omens
March 15th, 2009, 07:52 PM
I don't think I could wear a bonnet. I'm an insane sleeper. I roll all over the place, and I even tear my elastic band thing off of my braid almost every night. I still am not sure how that happens either.... Just slips off?

Silverlox
March 15th, 2009, 08:01 PM
The bonnet looks like a really great idea for curlies. :D

However, for someone like me, I think it would result in extremely flat hair the day after. :(

It would probably be good for sleeping with a heavy oiling. :agree:

Copasetic
March 15th, 2009, 08:08 PM
I usually just braid it, but I am thinking I should start using a scarf or a bonnet. The front of my hair gets really frizzy over night.

tinabcurly
March 15th, 2009, 08:24 PM
I have the same bonnet Speckla!! It stays on all night even with tossing and turning. Dh just loves it. :rolleyes: I put it in a loose pineapple on top of my head & sort of plop into the bonnet. Works great. Sometimes I even get second day hair.

viking_quest
March 15th, 2009, 08:46 PM
I leave it loose. I can't fall asleep otherwise and kitty doesn't eat my hair anymore so it's all good.

dearladydisdain
March 15th, 2009, 08:51 PM
I don't think I could wear a bonnet. I'm an insane sleeper. I roll all over the place, and I even tear my elastic band thing off of my braid almost every night. I still am not sure how that happens either.... Just slips off?
I tried to wear one for a while but I'm an insane sleeper as well and it always came off (one of the silk ones with an elastic band). I've been known to somehow rip my fitted sheet off while sleeping. I don't know how I do it. :p However it seems like yours might work better, Speckla!

serenitygal
March 15th, 2009, 09:15 PM
I'm happy the bonnet is working for you, but it would drive me utterly mad. I just spritz/oil my hair, put it into a single french braid, and that seems to work well for it. I can see that the bonnet would be protecting, though.

Olivia23
March 15th, 2009, 10:57 PM
I don't use anything, but as soon as I get paid, I am going to by a satin pillow case. I saw it on Regis and Kelly morning show. Kelly said she bought a satin pillow case, and her hair does so much better in the morning from it. She said when she woke up, her hair used to be all over the place, but now with the satin pillow, she wakes up with it smooth and tangle free. I also heard satin pillows are good for your face in reducing wrinkles, because when you sleep on a regular pillow, your face is pulled by the pillow, but with satin, it doesn't pull like that.

OR Cowgirl
March 15th, 2009, 11:02 PM
I wear my hair in a bun, braid, or sleep tail and use satin pillowcases. They really do help!

Deborah
March 15th, 2009, 11:17 PM
I sleep on a silk satin pillowcase, and love it. I'll never use a cotton one again.

Most nights I just toss my hair up over my head, where it hangs over the bed. I've had long hair all my life, so this is pretty natural for me. Since being on this board, I sometimes braid it, then toss it up. I used to use those tiny silicone circles that are supposed to protect the ends of your hair well. Ha! I was wondering why, for the first time, my ends seemed to be getting a bit thin. I stopped fastening the hair, and now my bottom is growing in healthy again. So if I feel like braiding, I don't fasten it at all. Some nights it unbraids itself (slippery hair), but other nights it actually stays partly braided.

steph in tx
March 15th, 2009, 11:27 PM
I usually just leave it loose, but then my hair is still pretty short. I'm trying to start braiding it now. It depends on if I'm oiling it overnight. Last night I actually wore it in a french twist while oiling it and it actually stayed put. Sometimes I put it in a ponytail wrapped in plastic wrap while oiling it. Tonight is a non-oiling night sut I did actually put it in a french braid. I'm a work in progress. I'm getting better at caring for my hair, the more I learn from LHC.

GlennaGirl
March 15th, 2009, 11:38 PM
Even just at the length it is now, my hair is already starting to be all over the place while I sleep (and getting caught under my shoulders), so I've just started wearing it in a braid to bed.

hanne jensen
March 16th, 2009, 12:01 AM
I wear mine up in a loose donut bun held with a scrunchy. Some call a donut a round rat. Works really great for my har.

kdaniels8811
March 16th, 2009, 04:14 AM
I bun my hair at night, using short (3") hairsticks. They fit perfectly in my bun without anything sticking out to catch on anything. Found out how well they work by accident. Never thought of using sticks to sleep in!

bouton99
March 16th, 2009, 04:38 AM
At night I always make a braid so as not to lie on it and have to much to disentangle.

bouton

Finoriel
March 16th, 2009, 04:51 AM
I just braid it and have a good old cotton pillow (satin or silk is just not my thing), which seems to work good enough for me.

Iīm also pretty sure that I would not get any sleep when wearing a bonnet.
:wink: For some reason I canīt sleep when my other half is giggling away his sanity the whole night. He tends to be a bit childish :p and I would hate to smack him with my pillow for giggling.

Stevy
March 16th, 2009, 05:20 AM
Cool bonnet!

I just pile mine on the pillow and it stays put - maybe it's a straight hair thing, I don't know.

Quahatundightu
March 16th, 2009, 05:29 AM
I always braid mine, otherwise I get crazy tangles! I think I toss around too much, hehehe :)

Naava
March 16th, 2009, 05:44 AM
Sometimes I braid it, sometimes I make this high looped ponytail/bun thingie on top of my head. I can't sleep properly if my hair is all over the place and detangling in the mornings would take too long...

Lady Verity
March 16th, 2009, 06:09 AM
I braid mine and oil it. I'm a fidgety sleeper, so having it up has really helped to prevent breakage.

lailmil
March 16th, 2009, 06:18 AM
I wrap it into a silk scarf

Charli800
March 16th, 2009, 06:50 AM
I get awful tangles in the morning if I don't braid my hair. I still manage to yank that sometimes, so a crown braid is best, but I don't always have the energy for that. Anything else tangles, comes undone or both!

Anje
March 16th, 2009, 07:10 AM
I'm another bonnet sleeper. I can't stand polyester satin on my face (haven't tried silk yet), so the satin pillowcase is out. Frankly, my hair always ends up under me, even braided. If we let the cats into the room, one of them likes to try to shred my braid tassel if she decides I need to wake up to pay attention to her. So the bonnet fixes that.

pdy2kn6
March 16th, 2009, 07:28 AM
haha i love the look of that bonnet, is it silk/satin? where did you buy it from?

Johanna64
March 16th, 2009, 02:28 PM
That's a great bonnet :)
Since my hair is a little longer than bsl I braid it at night.

VikingJarl
March 16th, 2009, 02:56 PM
My hair is a nightmare if I don't braid it at night, but a single braid at the backI found to be too uncomfortable. I have a braid each side now and use a satin pillowcase. No more tangles:)

.....Unless of course I'm really tired and can't be bothered to braid it. Then I really regret it next day, spending half an hour detangling! :angry:

CopperHead
March 16th, 2009, 03:01 PM
I do one braid in the back and have been doing this for years. It works best for me.

ImperfectBrat
March 16th, 2009, 03:22 PM
Single short braid in the back. Then I tuck it up under a bandana and sleep on satin pillowcase.

I also like putting a satin flat sheet over all my pillows since I am one heck of a gymnast when I sleep and can very well end up getting the do rag off and ending up in very weird positions

somethingwicked
March 16th, 2009, 03:33 PM
Most nights I just toss my hair up over my head, where it hangs over the bed.

EEK! I could never do that; that's just asking for the monster under the bed to grab it, or that crazy guy that crawls around on the floor Charles Manson-style while you sleep.

It's always been a loose bun and a scrunchy for me; braids tangled up when I tried it.

s_tresses
March 16th, 2009, 03:33 PM
I cant sleep with anything on my head. I dont move a llot while i am sleeping but I feel ...trapped if i have something on. I wonder how some people sleep with DTs on at night. *shrugs*

AmandaPanda
March 16th, 2009, 03:50 PM
I pretty much always sleep with it loose, either over the pillow or off to the side, flip it when I turn over. Braids fray, possibly causing matts, and end up under me. High buns make my scalp hurt later on

punkgirl89
March 16th, 2009, 03:51 PM
I have a pixie cut right now (a result of a yr of ill-advised hair expirementation). Should I bother with silk pillowcases and such now, or wait till my hair reaches my shoulders or so?

marajade
March 16th, 2009, 03:53 PM
I have a pixie cut right now (a result of a yr of ill-advised hair expirementation). Should I bother with silk pillowcases and such now, or wait till my hair reaches my shoulders or so?

It couldn't hurt- and it would make you feel like a princess! ;)

JamieLeigh
March 16th, 2009, 04:00 PM
That's a cute bonnet! I don't usually do anything other than just leave it loose. I don't go to bed with wet hair, and I rarely get tangles anymore, despite being this long and wavy. Which is rare, I hear, but hey it makes me happy. :)......and last night I accidentally slept in my braid.

Speckla
March 16th, 2009, 04:49 PM
haha i love the look of that bonnet, is it silk/satin? where did you buy it from?

It's satin and I bought it at Walmart for $1.60. Best thing I've bought for my hair yet.
________
HOW TO LOVE (http://www.love-help.org/)

Katla
March 16th, 2009, 05:20 PM
I usually braid it if I remember; if not, I just keep it loose. I don't move that much at night and my pillowcases are all either satin or silk, which helps a lot :)

LittleOrca
March 16th, 2009, 05:22 PM
I have a satin sleep cap, much like your bonnet, that I love to put my hair in when I sleep. No tangles in the morning :)

arabidbutterfly
March 16th, 2009, 05:31 PM
I tie a silk or polyester scarf around mine. It isn't long enough to braid yet, but it does help.

freznow
March 16th, 2009, 06:06 PM
Typically I braid. But recently I've begun braiding in two satin scarves with the braid (putting them on my head or trying any other method always slips off) and that has helped significantly in reducing the amount of traction with the sheets.

xunnie
March 16th, 2009, 06:28 PM
I -should- put it up or use a bonnet. I'm going to get one soon! Right now, I just leave it down and use a super smooth, high-thread count pillow case.

littlemiss
March 16th, 2009, 08:28 PM
Something on my head that big would drive me mad! I do 2 braids and use a satin pillow case and this works great for me!!

shayly-fyanna
March 16th, 2009, 09:42 PM
I usually braid for sleep. tried bunning but ended up with weird crinkles in the hair and a painfully loose bun in the morning. i also tried a bonnet but i toss and turn alot while i sleep and the bonnet would come off. so stich with a simple braid.

hennared
March 16th, 2009, 11:28 PM
For those who wear a silk scarf - how do you secure it? Do you wrap it over or tie it on the top of your head/forehead? I totally stink at braiding, and I don't like how it feels wearing a braid to bed. Yet leaving it loose means lots of tangles. I like the scarf idea, but can't figure out how I'd get it to stay on my head and be comfortable over my forehead at the same time....

rose_in_bloom
March 16th, 2009, 11:33 PM
I either do one or two braids. It's really comfortable and gives me nice braid waves in the morning. And most of the time I sleep on a satin pillowcase.

EvaSimone
March 17th, 2009, 12:15 AM
I always braid my hair. Mostly because it really hurts when I roll on my hair and the tangles aren't too fun either.

I've been meaning to buy a satin pillowcase so that the rubbing wouldn't be so rough on my hair but I always forget.

*so many things to buy so little money.* :lol:

rags
March 17th, 2009, 01:08 AM
Usually I just sleep with it loose. I have silk pillowcases, and a bonnet like that would drive me utterly mad.
Occasionally I will braid my hair while damp and sleep on it that way so that I get nice braid waves. I don't like to do it too often though, or I get breakage from the braid ties.

Arctic_Mama
March 17th, 2009, 03:20 AM
I've discovered this lovely bonnet. It helps greatly with second day hair and nighttime tangling.

http://images45.fotki.com/v1481/photos/7/1199357/7236771/Picture165-vi.jpg

Where did you find that bonnet? I have been looking for one, but most of them just have a thin elastic bit to keep it secure that is both itchy and prone to hair snags. That one looks nice and soft.

Cindi Eponabri
March 17th, 2009, 03:30 AM
That's a great idea. I usually do one single braid or two braids on the sides, although sometimes I leave my hair loose. I have a silky type pillowcase that helps too.

Typically I braid. But recently I've begun braiding in two satin scarves with the braid (putting them on my head or trying any other method always slips off) and that has helped significantly in reducing the amount of traction with the sheets.

brok3nwings
March 17th, 2009, 06:29 AM
loose braid and sometimes just loose. i do have to untangle it everymorning though...

annie09
March 17th, 2009, 09:50 AM
another loose hair bed head here :)

Forever_Sophie
March 17th, 2009, 10:02 AM
I use a satin pillowcase, but for long, loose hair at night, I suppose I'd need satin sheets as well...? Anyway, I don't really notice a major difference but I use it religiously.

I braid my hair at night. The night before last, it was looking so great and full of body (post-wash) but kind of lifeless after leaving it loose., the ends were kind of bent and wierd...

Myrrh
March 17th, 2009, 10:49 AM
I put it in a pony tail and then a bun, but it never stays and by the time I wake up in the morning it's a rats nest :( I wish it was longer so I could do SOMETHING with it.

I might try a bonnet.

sandigirl
March 17th, 2009, 10:57 AM
No bonnet for me. I would not want to take any chances of my scalp sweating. I wear a loose ponytail tied with a scrunchie.

Cinnamon Hair
March 17th, 2009, 09:00 PM
I'll join you as a shameless bonnet-wearer! They aren't pretty, but I only wear it to sleep in. :silly: Mine is the cheap mesh feeling one you can find in the ethnic hair care section of stores like CVS and Walgreen's. The elastic stretches over time, but then I just hand sew it closed a little to make it snug again.

spf4214
March 17th, 2009, 09:22 PM
I normally just loosely pull it back with a scruncie. I find if I leave it loose I get a lot of tangles because I toss and turn a lot.

Fayejay
March 17th, 2009, 09:50 PM
I normally sleep with it loose. But the bonnet is a neat idea. I really don't like to sleep with my hair in a bun. A braid is okay.:cool:

Heavenly Locks
March 17th, 2009, 09:55 PM
I'd like to sleep with it braided but my braids don't stay in. Maybe I'll try two instead of the one?

The bonnets appeal to me too, but I don't think my hubby would really want to uh, snuggle, as much with my bonnet head. LOL

harpyangel
March 18th, 2009, 07:47 AM
I've started sleeping with my hair in 4 plaits! Just because of the layers it means the braid waves look nicer the next day :) Plus 4 plaits obviously looks VERY ATTRACTIVE. ahem.

Harpyangel xxx

Juanita
March 18th, 2009, 08:44 AM
Usually in two braids untied on the ends. The braids stay in nicely and tangle free in the morning. If I put it over my pillow the cat wants to sleep there for sure instead of beside me.

Myrrh
March 18th, 2009, 12:32 PM
I just bought a bonnet today! :) In the ethnic section of hair care at Walmart. I'm going to try it out. Maybe I can oil my hair now that I have something to cover it up with!

Hairytale
March 18th, 2009, 01:06 PM
I always wear it in a scrunchie bun right on the middle of my head so I can turn around in bed how much I want to and my hair doesn't get affected by it (or I by my hair, heh :D).

Iylivarae
March 18th, 2009, 03:00 PM
I always braid it, it is so much easier to handle in the morning!

Anne~
March 18th, 2009, 06:29 PM
I always braid it and put it in a night cap. You can see the pics of my cap in my album. They are very cheap and worth it!

redeyedtreefr0g
March 19th, 2009, 09:36 AM
I leave my hair loose, though I did try when I was very young to wear the cute little cap my grandma made with my nightgown. For now it works, I have a few extra tangles I'm sure, but my husband hasn't gotten tangled in it or anything, and my dog sleeps in front of me, so is good about not getting tangled in my hair somehow.

Man I miss nightgowns. I should get some.

Anyway, if you like a braid to sleep, I thought the article about using a ribbon to secure a braid was one of the more ingenious Idea I've seen- that way it wouldn't fall out for you, and it should have a relatively low profile so as not to bulge under you and be uncomfortable. Maybe a double bow though, so it wouldn't come untied.

Charli800
March 19th, 2009, 10:58 AM
Anyway, if you like a braid to sleep, I thought the article about using a ribbon to secure a braid was one of the more ingenious Idea I've seen- that way it wouldn't fall out for you, and it should have a relatively low profile so as not to bulge under you and be uncomfortable. Maybe a double bow though, so it wouldn't come untied.
That slips right out of my hair when I sleep. :( It's great during the day though.

camirra555
March 19th, 2009, 12:40 PM
I wear a red bonnet similar to the Op's

camirra555
March 19th, 2009, 12:40 PM
Oh yeah, I also tie a bandana over it so it doesn't slip off in my sleep.

redhead_rachel
March 20th, 2009, 06:41 AM
braid of some description- dutch, english, single, double... whichever Im in the mood for :shrug:

missrandie
April 7th, 2015, 08:03 AM
I have taken to being a shameless bonnet wearer! I cut up an old silk night gown from Salvation Army and fashioned it into a bonnet. Instead of elastic, I ran a piece of tshirt "string" through it.
Between my "mob cap" and my silk pillowcase, I am set! Btw I got them just a few months ago when I started growing stuff out. I figure get used to it and protect now, save my hair from my husband's body and elbows later.

missrandie
April 7th, 2015, 08:04 AM
Forgot to add- my hair doesn't get flat in the bonnet. I think it is because I made it loose enough.

emmita
April 7th, 2015, 09:04 AM
I sleep with my hair twisted on top of my head (using a hair clip). I can't deal with braids while sleeping, it's so disturbing :rolleyes:

NitaB
April 7th, 2015, 05:55 PM
I braid to avoid tangles and wear a bonnet so DBF doesn't get hair in his face. He bought it for me, partially to be sweet and partially to save himself from my hair

Sarahlabyrinth
April 7th, 2015, 06:08 PM
I wouldn't be without my Adorabellababy silk sleep cap! I love it to bits and also SO thinks it looks cute on me so it's a double win!

FallingDarkness
April 7th, 2015, 06:28 PM
I just braid my hair. Can't deal with buns, and IDK where I could find a sleep cap... :/ Oh well.

cocoahair
April 7th, 2015, 08:15 PM
I wouldn't be without my Adorabellababy silk sleep cap! I love it to bits and also SO thinks it looks cute on me so it's a double win!
I second the adorabellababy silk sleep cap!

hinabelle
April 7th, 2015, 08:22 PM
I use a satin sleep cap and bun my hair. I need to find a better bunning strategy
though because it keeps unraveling in my sleep. I'm thinking maybe I should put
it higher on my head but my hair hates high buns. I also need to experiment with
french braids. :D

Luminaria
April 9th, 2015, 06:28 AM
Sometimes I braid my hair if I want it to be easier to deal with in the morning. I tried damp bunning recently with great results.

Mustang Suzy
April 9th, 2015, 06:55 AM
I've become so use to my sleep cap that I don't like going to bed without it. I even made sure to pack it when I went to the hospital! My hair is slippery but this cap stays put better than one with a thin elastic band. It is a black satin cap with a 1 inch wide band that I bought at Walmart for $2.50 or so. It was in the ethnic hair care section.