PDA

View Full Version : Hair-care – do we just think too much?

rockkcor
March 15th, 2009, 11:06 AM
I found this video on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1gKrzjMQVfw (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1gKrzjMQVfw)

These ladies have no cuts or trims for many years now all because of religious reasons.
Are we not obsessed by hair-care and things? :confused:
Looking at the video – I am sure they could put to shame most of us – without all the products and care we talk about here!

What are your thoughts?

spidermom
March 15th, 2009, 11:12 AM
I agree that many of us stress about our hair way too much. On the other hand, most of the hair shown in this link was long but not all the great looking (to me).

Brat
March 15th, 2009, 11:13 AM
I don't speak the language in the video, so I don't know what they're talking about. But, if I don't use products, and I don't look for and get rid of splits, my hair is horrible. I believe in what works for each person I guess. If I was one of those girls, maybe my hair would be used to what they're doing and be fine?

Speckla
March 15th, 2009, 11:31 AM
Sure we do. I'd rather obsess about my hair and it's health than to obsess about what size jeans I wear. ;)
________
Iolite review (http://vaporizer.org/reviews/iolite)

AJoifulNoise
March 15th, 2009, 11:36 AM
Do we obsess too much? Perhaps. But, I was a part of a religious group who didn't cut thier hair. Some of them took a lot of time on thier hair, others did not. Some hair from both groups looked great, but not all. There were a lot of thin and split ends. Honestly, the level of benign neglect that works depnds on the head of hair. Some can get away with doing nothing. For others, more needs to be done.

plainjanegirl
March 15th, 2009, 11:36 AM
I think they all had very pretty hair.
Yes I sometimes wonder if some of us do worry too much about our hair care (even myself). When my hair was alot longer than now and before I had ever heard of LHC, my hair care was so simple.
Sure wish I coulda understood the video though.

Dacia
March 15th, 2009, 11:46 AM
It's not quite benign neglect when you need your SIL's help to wash your hair, as one girl says, or having a 10 yo girl who had never had a haircut.

mellie
March 15th, 2009, 12:06 PM
My DH would say so!! :D

However, as obsessions go, it's a fairly innocuous and harmless one!

Honestwitness
March 15th, 2009, 12:13 PM
I have a friend who is a member of such a religious group. She believes it is wrong to cut your hair, even to get rid of split ends. That's too extreme, in my opinion.

Honestwitness

GlennaGirl
March 15th, 2009, 12:22 PM
Hmmm. Yes and no. This is, after all, a hair care/long hair site, so it is going to look as if people here are obsessing, simply because the majority of posts on certain boards here will naturally be about hair.

However, most people take care of their hair daily and so they think about their hair on a continuous basis too...shorties, longies and anyone in between.

Many women wear makeup every day, or consistently under certain circumstances (to work, for instance), and look at makeup any time they're in Walgreens or CVS or wherever; many people, male and female, think hard about what clothes they will wear every single day...A board dedicated to makeup or to clothing would give the same illusion of thinking about those things "too much".

I think people as a species groom regularly, so it's not abnormal to consistently consider hair, among other things, in our daily lives.

Some of us are on this particular board because we are trying to effect a change in our hair (for many of us, that means growing it long) and that takes time...so we while away that time by chatting about it. :)

Just my take on things.

Honestwitness
March 15th, 2009, 12:24 PM
More about my friend...she says she doesn't want to be judgmental of others who believe differently than she. So, I told her I won't look down on her for her views, if she promises not to look down on me for my views. She agreed, so we have a truce.

I was a member of a similar religious group for 16 years. My former group was fine with a woman's hair length, no matter how long or short it was. However, they obsessed about other lifestyle and behavior choices.

I'm glad I'm out of that group now. I'm much more wary, though, about groups that put a lot of emphasis on outward things, instead of inward things, such as our character.
I have to admit, though, that I've been obsessing about my hair a lot lately...ever since I decided to let it get longer.

And now I have found myself another group (this forum) of like-minded people. I guess we all need to feel we're a part of something larger than ourselves.

Now I've gone philosophical on you, haven't I?

Honestwitness

Carolyn
March 15th, 2009, 12:44 PM
Not knowing what was said doesn't help. Yes the women had nice long hair. Apparently they don't cut for religious reasons. OK that's totally cool. I'm not sure how a woman in another country who grows her hair for religious reasons can be compared to an American woman (me) who grows her hair for fun. Yes I'm sure many would say I am obsessed with my hair. My reaction is so what? Why do I care what others think? I'd say those women are also obsessed in their own way. Their hair obsession seems to stem from their religion if I understand it correctly. I enjoy all my products, hair toys, and LHC time talking about hair. I don't see it as a problem or as being "put to shame" to quote the OP :shrug:

Aisha25
March 15th, 2009, 12:47 PM
Not knowing what was said doesn't help. Yes the women had nice long hair. Apparently they don't cut for religious reasons. OK that's totally cool. I'm not sure how a woman in another country who grows her hair for religious reasons can be compared to an American woman (me) who grows her hair for fun. Yes I'm sure many would say I am obsessed with my hair. My reaction is so what? Why do I care what others think? I'd say those women are also obsessed in their own way. Their hair obsession seems to stem from their religion if I understand it correctly. I enjoy all my products, hair toys, and LHC time talking about hair. I don't see it as a problem or as being "put to shame" to quote the OP :shrug:
My thoughts exactly:agree:
Just because we do it for ourselves or fun doesnt mean that we are putting too much work on having nice hair:twocents:

rockkcor
March 15th, 2009, 01:01 PM
I remember someone proposed – 'never wash your hair', or similar things to get it growing faster…
I was just wondering about the clip – some of that hair is just stunning and wonderful ( to me they all looked beautiful :) with all that hair! Really!) and it all is done in state of ‘poverty’ where no balsam or conditioner can be found and used…
Maybe we only push our hair out of natural balance with all sorts of treatment…

Aisha25
March 15th, 2009, 01:07 PM
I dont think so as in India back when there was no such thing as major shops. They did henna,oilings,hair packs with yoghurt,honey and lemons. These things make hair stronger and insure nice growth and ends. I think its better to pamper them and love them. Then to neglect them:flowers:

ratgirldjh
March 15th, 2009, 01:13 PM
YES! i definitely CAN obsess about my hair too much!

long ago i used to just cut all my hair off and never think about it. then i decided that cutting it off was too much work - LOL - and just would wash it once a week and put it up in a bun

well in what seemed like not very long i had hair down to my waist!!!

so what did i do when i noticed that? i cut it off! LOL

so now i'm trying to grow it again and i DO realize that the best way for me is begign neglect.

now that i've finally figured out a way to wash it that is easy and doesn't make me itch (my obsession problems started when they quit making the shampoo i used for YEARS - Weleda Rosemary Shampoo) i am going to practice leaving my hair alone. i will just wash it once a weak with my very diluted soapnut liquid and let it dry and put it up in a bun and only brush it before i go to bed.

end of obsession ;)

begin growing long beautiful healthy chemical free hair :)

DragonLady
March 15th, 2009, 01:27 PM
Well, before I found this place I used shampoo, and brushed my hair everyday. That was about it. I quit dying it in the early 90's, and quit trimming it about the same time because I was trying to let it grow.

But years later, all I had was a head full of splits, and hair that wasn't more than a few inches longer than it was when I quit all of that. Mechanical damage from the brush and other rough handling, snarls and tangles from my whatever's-on-sale shampoo and not-so-benign neglect ruined all my intentions.

So while I admit I'm obsessed now, I'm also getting results now. And I'm so much happier with my hair, and -honestly- the rest of my appearance, too. My hair really does affect how I feel about myself in every way, and the longer and more beautiful it gets, the better I feel about the rest of my life. So I'm happy to keep my new obsession for awhile longer. :)

Carolyn
March 15th, 2009, 02:08 PM
I dont think so as in India back when there was no such thing as major shops. They did henna,oilings,hair packs with yoghurt,honey and lemons. These things make hair stronger and insure nice growth and ends. I think its better to pamper them and love them. Then to neglect them:flowers:I think pampering and loving my hair is a lot more fun than neglecting it. I can neglect it for a day or two now and then but after that I am back among the hair obsessed :D

Aisha25
March 15th, 2009, 02:20 PM
I think pampering and loving my hair is a lot more fun than neglecting it. I can neglect it for a day or two now and then but after that I am back among the hair obsessed :D
Me too. For me its fun to play with mud and other messy things:D once a week of course,too lazy for everyday:wink:

Elbereth
March 15th, 2009, 02:39 PM
To me, thinking of hair care is a form of relaxation. Hair "obsessing" is completely unproductive and lots of fun. Sure, my hair problems are minor issues compared to big problems of the world, and that's why I find pondering them relaxing, along with all the other jazz that can come with long hair when I feel up to it.

When I don't have the time and energy to obsess about my hair, I just bun it, forget about it for a while and go on with my life (and you'll see me hanging around here less).

rach
March 15th, 2009, 05:09 PM
i personally pay more attention to my hair than my face (got skin problems which i'm in process of sorting which took time to get round to) and hair is my distraction , i personally think hair is a natural way to express "pretty" in my eyes :)
it was quite an interesting video even though i didn't understand the language.

Buddaphlyy
March 15th, 2009, 07:44 PM
I wouldn't consider myself obsessed now, but I'm glad that I was. Being obsessed lead me here and I've meet wonderful people who I might not have ever introduced myself to otherwise. Also, because I learned so much, I can now relax and enjoy my hair.

WritingPrincess
March 15th, 2009, 08:14 PM
Sure we do. I'd rather obsess about my hair and it's health than to obsess about what size jeans I wear. ;)
Me too. No, I consider hair one of my hobbies and I like it that way. :)

Silverlox
March 15th, 2009, 08:24 PM
Hair type also matters. I agree that the girls and women in the video had fantastic hair, but I also think that they have strong hair, probably C or a mixture of M and C.

Because of my Scandie heritage, I have F hair. If I didn't baby it somewhat, it would not grow much due to breakage. I also cannot go for too long without an S&D or a trim, due to getting fairy knots and splits every once in a while. I only trim it about 1-2 times a year, but even that is too much if your religion forbids it. :shrug:

I see my hair like a kind of pet. It needs a minimum of care and TLC to be happy. :D

Kina
March 15th, 2009, 08:38 PM
I speak the language in the video. I've also been exposed to similar religions that express the same opinions.

Annoys the crap out of me that anyone thinks they have anything to say about my hair, whether I cut it or not is up to me, not something written by somebody. (the women in the video reference the bible frequently in why they don't cut their hair)

there is conditioner available in that part of the world and I daresay it's even common (the country is Honduras).

All in all, it's a personal choice that they are making, although it may be influinced culturally (as we all are).

In any case, in latin culture it's very common for girls to have long hair until at least adolescence. My daughter didn't have a haircut until she was 11, because I loved her hair. As a matter of fact, she came back from Honduras with her hair cut up to her ears.

I cried for days over that.

JamieLeigh
March 16th, 2009, 05:34 PM

Amen and amen!!! :D

JamieLeigh
March 16th, 2009, 05:39 PM
I had mine to nearly knee-length before, and it was really bad-looking when I didn't keep it trimmed or S&D'd. Of course, I yanked it with brushes, dyed it, crimped it with a hot iron...you name it. So it was just in bad condition all around. My hair type before pregnancy was probably Medium, but nowadays it's Fine, and I don't think I could just let it grow unprovoked and achieve the nice results I want.

hurricane_gia
March 16th, 2009, 05:47 PM
However, most people take care of their hair daily and so they think about their hair on a continuous basis too...shorties, longies and anyone in between.

Exactly! I spend about a quarter of the money and time my short-haired, curling iron and hair-dryer wielding mother spends on her hair. That's now, when she has stopped coloring it.

hurricane_gia
March 16th, 2009, 06:19 PM
I notice they keep their hair down and loose (well, one woman had a low pony). Was that just for the interviews or do they just always go around with their hair loose? How can they work with their hair loose all the time?

My hair is only hip length and I find that if I turn corners too fast, my hair knocks things over and thwaps other people. I can only imagine what it would be (will be?) like at knee length.