PDA

View Full Version : a day in the life of a long hairer...

pdy2kn6
March 15th, 2009, 04:48 AM
we all have our different routines we do of handling our hair on a daily basis. a typical day for me would start with waking up, then unravelling my braid and then giving myself (a usually rushed) head massage. then i comb my hair an shove it in a nautilus bun then face my day. A good day being only having less than 4 attempts of putting my hair up comfortably, not messy. A bad day being spending about 30 minutes trying to get my nautilus bun comfortable and right. This has been happening alot recetnly for some reason, perhaps an indication it is getting longer (wishful thinking!!!). After about 15 minutes i think to myself, i must of forgotten how to make the bun, i finally get an okay looking one in the end, which usually always stays like that until late at night, an hour or so before bed when i take my hair down and then give myself another head massage, detangle and then braid it, ready for bed. How does your day go? do you ever end up pulling your hair down half way through the day? i always get the urge to pull it down sometimes, and want to play with it but try and resist as im trying to handle it minimally. Whats the typical day in the life of your hair care regime, washing or non-wash day...

Elbereth
March 15th, 2009, 06:20 AM
On a typical day, I wake up, undo my night braid and comb my hair with a wooden comb. Then I think of what I am up to today- whether it's best for me to put on a headcovering right away or if I can use some nice hairtoy. I proceed to put my hair up in my style of choice. All this takes five minutes or so, and I don't usually even need a mirror.
I don't normally re-do my bun during the day. When it's time to go to bed, I take my bun down, comb quickly and braid my hair.

Days when I wash my hair are a little different, as well as days when I go out or do something out of the ordinary. But this is the norm.

Speckla
March 15th, 2009, 06:31 AM
Am I long hairer now? Click the link in my siggi. That's when it's wet. I'm not sure of the inches because I haven't measured yet.

I get up, go potty, wash my hands and start making breakfast. I always admire my reflection in the window (I sleep in a satin bonnet but don't take it off until right before I take a bath). I bath, cowash (shampoo every 3-4 days), rinse, and add 99% pure organic aloe to my hair before I finger detangle. I add a leave-in of suave conditioner mixed with biolage recondish. balm. This is a daily thing for me. I will diffuse for a few minutes if it's cold outside but I usually just let it air dry. I take 15 minutes for bath, hair, and makeup. I always pull my bangs back and clip them up. I do nightly massages before bed and then I put on my satin bonnet for sleeping. I pretty much ignore my hair all day and don't really think much about it now.
________
Ford prefect (http://www.ford-wiki.com/wiki/Ford_Prefect)

AutumnLeaves
March 15th, 2009, 06:40 AM
I rarely do anything. Finger combing at the most. But then I sit home all day. After a couple of days post shampoo and condition, I start using a hair brush (I love the feel of brushing my hair). It pretty much only goes up if I am hot, or if it doesn't look too hot. All about the ease, I am. LOL

neon-dream
March 15th, 2009, 06:47 AM
When i wake up, I put my hair up with a stick and go down for breakfast etc. When it's time to do my hair for the day I take out the stick and see whether it needs combing or if it looks ok.
Then I decide what style to put it in and leave. When I come home I take out whatever style I had in if I'm not using a stick, and put a stick in. When I go to bed I take it down again :)

Periwinkle
March 15th, 2009, 07:00 AM
Wake up. Pull out the braid (or occasionally the bun). Shake hair out. Sometimes I comb and then get dressed, other times I get dressed and then comb. Put hair up. Go to school. Possibly redo during the day, depending on the style. Come home. Change out of uniform. Redo hair, possibly a different style. Before shower in the evening, I take it out and put it in my shower bun. After shower, braid for the night.

kdaniels8811
March 15th, 2009, 07:10 AM
Get up, take hair down and comb, wear down during breakfast - or checking the boards! - they put it up into an orchid bun with forks or sticks. I have a very short pair of Mia Fe's that are only 3" long but perfect for holding the bun while I sleep. They barely reach the end of my bun but work well to hold it up at night. That is all to my routine, fairly boring.

Honey39
March 15th, 2009, 08:43 AM
Wake up - hair is usually flattened and curls are drooping
Hop in shower
Condition wash hair
Then - option A:
Turbie dry it for 30 mins
Comb through
Massage in some jojoba oil
Damp bun for 5 hours
A little aloe vera gel to smooth it down
Let hair down, and it dries in to big smooth curls

Option B
Pin it up dripping wet for 10 mins while I moisturise
Comb through
Separate it upside down
Scrunch dry it with paper towels
Let it dry without touching again

Both my routines involve never really touching it once I've washed it in the morning. My hair likes water and conditioner, it hates being brushed or combed. So I tend to not do anything with it once I've sorted it for the day. I can't put it up and down through the day, it just would start to frizz out and look like a mess

AJoifulNoise
March 15th, 2009, 09:09 AM
On a typical day I...
-Get up
-Comb my hair
-CO in the shower (or, shampoo/condition if it is shampoo day)
-Scrunch a small dollop of coconut oil into my ends
-Smooth what's left on my hands over the rest of my hair
-Comb my hair
-Put it up in a bun (usually cinnabun)
-Ignore hair for the rest of the day
-Take it down an hour or two before bed so it can finish drying
-Comb my hair
-Go to sleep

eadwine
March 15th, 2009, 09:36 AM
Wake up, comb through, braid, put up in nautilus bun with Amish pins. Leave like that all day.
Before bed, take out pins, catch braid end, tie with cloth band, and sleep.

The only difference is when I leave the house, then I put in a nice hairtoy, and when I get home I put the Amish pins back in :)

hurricane_gia
March 15th, 2009, 11:23 AM
On Wash Days:

I get up, unbraid my hair, and then I oil my scalp with Moonchiald's oil. I might oil the length with coconut oil, Moonchiald's oil, or jojoba oil, depending on what I have around and how greasy I can stand for my hair to be all day.

I comb my hair and then either bun it or braid it, depending on my mood. I go around in braids for months at a time and then, suddenly, I decide to switch to bunning.

I go about my day.

In the evening, about an hour before bedtime, I run a bath and I wash my hair. These days I am using a heavy conditioner on the length and a diluted conditioner with a tiny bit of shampoo mixed in for a scalp wash. Then I rinse it all out at once and don't re-condition.

I squeeze water out of my hair with a towel and then I oil the ends (coconut, moonchiald's, or jojoba). If things have been a little dry lately, I also use shea butter on the ends.

Then, I go sit in front of my computer for half an hour while my hair gets less wet.

I go to bed and flip my hair up over my pillow. It's mostly dry by the morning.

On Non-Wash Days:

I wake up and unbraid my hair (unless I'd slept with it loose because it was wet at the time).

I might comb it, or just fingercomb. Depends on how it looks.

If I am braiding, I will braid down to the last foot of hair and then I'll slather shea butter all over the loose hair, then continue braiding.

If I am bunning, I just bun it with no fuss. Lately I've been doing an inside out bun held with a ketylo, but the orchid bun is also a fave. Takes me about one minute to get my hair in a bun.

Then, I go about my day.

Some days I like a hot bath in the evening, so leave my hair in a bun while I soak in the gloriousness.

Before bed, I take out the bun and fingercomb, then re-braid very loosely. Or, if my hair was braided all day, I just undo the end and loosen the braid a little.

On Rare Occassions:

Sometimes I wake up the day after a wash and the outdoor humidity combined with clean hair has produced a big fluffy, wavy cloud of hair on my head. I like the way this looks, so on those days, if I'm not doing anything where my hair would get in the way, I fingercomb it out and leave it down.

shrimp
March 15th, 2009, 01:40 PM
Wake up.

Shake hair.

Bun.

Done.

Get home.

Rewet maybe, plop.

repeat ad infititum.

rose_in_bloom
March 15th, 2009, 03:23 PM
Wash Days (usually these are every other day):

Get up

Take out braid(s)

Spritz my hair with Kimberlily's defrizz stuff

Comb hair

Jump in the shower and S&C or CO, depending on how my hair feels

Squeeze out excess water and gently pat hair with towel

Spray on detangler and put a little bit of coconut oil on the ends

Comb out VERY gently

Braid or bun

Forget about it for the rest of the day unless I have to go out

If I have to go out I'll do some kind of bun or updo usually held with a Flexi-8

Braid for bed.

cobblersmaid
March 15th, 2009, 03:46 PM
Get up
Unravel braid
comb
put up
go to work
come home
take down
comb
braid

PrliamntofRooks
March 15th, 2009, 04:36 PM
If I remembered to braid it the night before, I get up, get dressed, undo braid and comb with a pick. I finish getting my son ready and we go down for breakfast. While he's eating I'll put it up (but I've fallen off the wagon with my 30 day challenge) if I'm going to. Go to work. Get home and either take it down and brush with my BBB or if already down just brush it with the BBB.

If it's a wash night, I'll wash it (CWC) right before bed, and may or may not braid it. Start over next day.

Ash
March 15th, 2009, 05:04 PM
Get up
Comb out braid
Shower - CWC on M/W/F or CO on T/Th/S/Su
Dry in hair towel about 15 mins, oil, comb, braid (days off leave loose)
After work, comb out braid
At home- bun, redo bun periodically
Mist and heavily oil on Su/T/Th nights before bed then braid and put in a sock
Comb and braid nightly before bed

Occasionally treatments or experiments are done on Sunday.

Lile
March 15th, 2009, 05:09 PM
Well,I'm in my "growgrowgrow" mood these weeks,so my routine is:

Sundays:

-make a nice pre-poo with some conditioner,honey,coconut milk or oil.Leave it for 1hour or so...

-wash with sls free poo and rinse with some herbal tea.

-go to sleep,...pillow-dry

Wednesdays:

-Shampoo,Co,defrizz with coconut oil
-pillow dry

Everyday care:

Massage in the morning and evening.In the evening spray some rose water on the roots(for the moisture)
From time to time I massage some aloe vera gel into my scalp in the mornings,but not regularly.

I usually put it in a bun.

Coriander
March 15th, 2009, 05:21 PM
Regular day (no wash) -

Get up, go potty, make coffee or aloe/lemon water depending on how groggy I feel.
Shower with hair up, dry off and put lotion on.
Comb hair and put it into whatever 'do is happening that day. Lately I slam it into a cinnabun held by a Ficcare. How I ever managed to live without Ficcares is beyond me.
When I get ready for bed, I comb it out again and put it back into a braid or a loose bun for sleeping.

Washing days -

Same morning routine.
In the shower I CWC - I slather conditioner into my hair, let that sit a few minutes before adding a tiny bit of shampoo to my scalp. I rub that through over my head then rinse away. I squeeze all water out of my hair, and reapply another glob of conditioner from the ears down. I let that sit for a few minutes while I soap up. Then I run a comb through. I let that sit again while I shave or soap up again (yes, sometimes I do this twice).
I will then wash my face and rinse off totally, swinging my hair over my shoulder so I can rinse off my back. Then I bend over and rinse off my hair and head with freezing cold water until I feel all the conditioner is out. Then I squeeze all the water out and put it into a turbie-towel.
I dry off and get out of the shower, where I will slather myself with coconut oil. I will let my hair sit in the turbie for about half an hour, then I take it out, comb it gently, and coconut-oil the ends. If it's particularly dry outside I will also apply a leave-in conditioner all over my hair.
Occasionally, if I have time, I will put it back into a dry turbie and let it sit until I have to leave, wherefore I take it back down, comb it once more, and put it into whatever style.

Same night routine - take down, comb and braid or bun.

Geez. No wonder I only wash once or twice a week :laugh:
Then

Themyst
March 15th, 2009, 05:33 PM
I usually sleep with my hair in a quick, twisted wrap-around bun, secured with two heavy hair clips. I call it the iron maiden.

My office is in my home and so I usually get up, leave my hair up untouched, and sit in my jammies & drink my Twinings English Breakfast Tea and work for a while.

Whether I do my hair or not depends on if I have to go out. I don't go out much, but when I do, I shower, wash & condition my hair, comb it & blow dry it. Then I spray it with hairspray lightly.

If it is windy outside, I might put it back up in the iron maiden - at that point, I have a lot of new hair (4" - 6" wispys) that stick out all over and so I *gasp* use a 1/2" curling iron and curl my little wispys.

I have not learned to make any neat buns. I am unbelievably uncoordinated, I am equally incapable of figuring out 'assemble at home' items, so putting my hands and arms up behind my head and twisting my hair into a cool shape while watching a diagram or 'how to' video is impossible for me.:(

jojo
March 15th, 2009, 05:37 PM
for me I get up looking like a cave man, comb my hair through, jump in the shower, pour my soapnuts on my hair and place a shower cap on. Wash my bits and pieces and then rinse off my soapnuts, then add conditioner to my ends, shower cap back on for another 5 minutes rinse off and comb my hair whilst rinsing, then out of the shower and leave my hair to drip dry, once damp I normally do a scrunchie bun and thats it!

whats a nautilus bun?

Loviatar
March 16th, 2009, 10:02 AM
Wash days when I am going out during the day:
Wake up, undo sleep braid, fingercomb.
Wash with Dairy Whip, condition with Inecto coconut.
Wrap in towel for 5 mins.
Remove towel, work a thumbnail-full of shea butter into the ends and length.
Wrap in towel until I get bored/it's 100% dry.
Take off towel, bend forward, fingercomb aloe gel through bangs.
Stand up, comb bangs with Mason Pearson comb
Brush with Denman and arrange hair in updo

Wash days when I am not going out: routine as above from step 2 but this is done in the evening, and I spend the day with Moonchaser's Sweet Success oil on my head. The updo in this case is usually a cinnamon bun with claw clip or one of my least favourite Maximas clips.

Non wash days:
Wake up, remove braid, fingercomb.
Look in mirror.
Despair at bangs.
Plan to wet bangs down and comb into place.
Try to get into BF's bathroom.
Notice that BF's female flatmate is in bathroom.
Return to bedroom and get dressed.
Set out Denman, comb, hairtoy for the day, look for aloe gel.
Where is aloe gel?
Peek out into corridor.
Notice that BF's female flatmate is still in bathroom.
Return to bedroom and pack bag for work.
Peek out into corridor.
Wave at BF's male flatmate waiting in his doorway with towel and shower gel.
Exchange look of 'FFS' :justy: with male flatmate.
Remember aloe gel is in bathroom.
Swear.
Return to bedroom and choose book to read on train.
Notice it is 5 minutes before you have to leave apartment to get train to work.
Panic.
Notice glass of water standing beside sleeping BF, on his bedside table.
Dip comb into water.
Comb bangs with wet comb in lieu of aloe gel.
Brush hair into updo and use hairsticks.
Hair sticks will not stay in.
Swear.
Redo updo with Ficcare.
Bun unravels around Ficcare.
Swear again.
BF makes meeping noise in sleep.
Sit on bed and pet sleeping BF.
Notice time.
Shove hair into updo with the SAME hairfork you ALWAYS END UP USING.
Secure bangs with sleepie clips for added hold.
Meet BF's male flatmate on way out of house.
Discuss cold shower he managed to have that morning.
Make joke about being skanky as have not had shower yet.
Miss train, get to work, come home, have shower, see the previous wash steps above.
:justy:

Islandgrrl
March 16th, 2009, 10:11 AM
I take the buff off my head, undo my braid and fingercomb. Then throw it up into a cinnabun do my morning chores and go to the gym. If it's going to get wet (as in, in the shower), I take the bun down after I work out and rinse my hair upside down, pile it up on my head and wrap in a towel until a good amount of the moisture is gone. Then I either use a wide tooth comb or my fingers to detangle, and I put it up again. It sometimes comes down during the day if it's not comfortable (like right now) and then goes back up until I get ready for bed. It comes down, gets fingercombed or brushed with my bamboo bristle brush and braided + buffed again for sleep.

neenerbabe
March 16th, 2009, 10:15 AM

Wash days when I am not going out: routine as above from step 2 but this is done in the evening, and I spend the day with Moonchaser's Sweet Success oil on my head. The updo in this case is usually a cinnamon bun with claw clip or one of my least favourite Maximas clips.

Non wash days:
Look in mirror.
Despair at bangs.
Where is aloe gel?
Peek out into corridor.
Peek out into corridor.
Swear.
Panic.
Dip comb into water.
Swear.
Redo updo with Ficcare.
Swear again.
Notice time.
Miss train, get to work, come home, have shower, see the previous wash steps above.

Your post just made my day, that was really fun. :D

marajade
March 16th, 2009, 11:33 AM

Non wash days:
Look in mirror.
Despair at bangs.
Where is aloe gel?
Peek out into corridor.
Peek out into corridor.
Swear.
Panic.
Dip comb into water.
Swear.
Redo updo with Ficcare.
Swear again.
Notice time.

This made me laugh! Thanks for sharing!

marajade
March 16th, 2009, 11:47 AM
I work from home now so my day goes a bit differently than it used to.

On wash days:

I get out of bed, my hair usually in a braid. I used to wear a silk cap, but my hair is so long and thick now its not working as well as it used to! I go into the next room and start working. I usually leave it in a messy braid until I decide I am tired of it or in need of a better hairstyle if I need to go out for some reason.
Either one of two things happen: At Lunch: I shower and CWC in shower, detangle with conditioner, let it sit for 5 minutes while I take care of other showerly duties and then when I get out I put a leave in conditioner/EVOO in and let it sit and air dry while I work in the afternoon OR I do everything mentioned but do it in the evening after the gym and then do some crazy braid combination for beautiful braid waves the next day!

I really only hair toy and hairstyle on days I am going out which is basically my days off. It's really just conditioner and benign neglect during the week!

JamieLeigh
March 16th, 2009, 04:27 PM
I sleep with my hair loose, so when I get up at 6am, I run my wooden comb through, to make sure there are no tangles (there rarely are!). Then I usually throw it into an updo of some sort. Lately I've been favoring the hairsticks over the braided bun I usually do. I stay busy with kids and running from here to there doing Mom-and-housewife stuff, so it usually stays up in that same hairstyle all day. At bedtime, I take it down and brush with my BBB, and do my scalp massages. I take it down around 6pm on wash days, while the kids are eating supper, and wash it so that it will be dry by 10pm, which is my usual bedtime. When it's nearly dry, I oil the ends and spritz on my leave-in deep condish. At the point when it's completely dry, I detangle (if needed) with my comb, and then brush with my BBB. Then I go to bed.