PDA

View Full Version : Help! Hair Caught In My Throat

crebbsgirl
March 15th, 2009, 12:41 AM
Hello my fellow long-haired lovelies. I have been quiet for a few months, but I find myself turning to you guys with a plea. I seem to have swallowed a hair, and now it's stuck at the back of my throat. It's been there for about 2 days now and it's causing me some distress. Has this ever happened to anyone here? And if so how did you fix it? I've tried drinking a lot of water, I ate bread, but nothing seems to be working, and it's still there!

ETA: I looked for a thread like this and couldn't find anything. But if I missed something, mods I'm terribly sorry!

CrystalStar
March 15th, 2009, 12:48 AM
Ooo...Is it similar to when you get a popcorn skin stuck in your throat?

I'm sorry I can't help ya off the top of my head, but I'd say to keep eating lot's of water and bread and if ya can't get it out go to the doctor maybe?

RancheroTheBee
March 15th, 2009, 01:29 AM
How far down is it? Can you see it?

I've got super tiny, spindly little fingers, so I can usually jam my fingers down there if need be to remove a hair. If you can see it, you may want to try this in a mirror.

Otherwise, I may suggest peanut butter, tea with honey in it, or anything else relatively sticky. Chances are, it'll dislodge itself soon enough, so don't panic. Good luck.

LittleOrca
March 15th, 2009, 01:30 AM
Eww. That is kind of gross. :( I don't know what else to suggest other than eating a drinking. Did you drink things of different temperatures?

CindyLea1
March 15th, 2009, 01:38 AM
I have had this problem... it was usually a hair wrapped around the hangy down thing in the back of my throat. Try to unwrap the hair if you can. Last time this happened to me...my gag refex kicked in a couple of times before I could get it fixed. I recommend, attempting it over the toilet of sink.

I totally sympathize with you. I hope You can get it out.

jera
March 15th, 2009, 02:01 AM
OOOooo, that sounds so uncmfortable. :( Hugs. That's never happened to me before. I agree that trying to eat something sticky like peanut butter might help or regurgitating.

Heavenly Locks
March 15th, 2009, 04:02 AM
Have you tried to get it out by hand yet? It's possible that you've gotten a scratch that feels like a hair but the hair isn't there anymore...

Trinka
March 15th, 2009, 05:23 AM
UGH - HATE that feeling. I hope you're able to get it solved!

NenNa
March 15th, 2009, 05:45 AM
It feels terrible! *Hugs* I vote for the finger method; trying to slowly pull it back out. And I second CindyLea1 to try it over a sink...

~GypsyCurls~
March 16th, 2009, 09:49 PM
Oh you poor thing! I hope you can get rid of it...if you can't soon, please go to a doctor. I've never had that happen but have gotten hairs in my mouth when it's windy, although never as far as my throat. That must be so uncomfortable, I have had pills/vitamins stuck though. Even BCP, as tiny as they are! Please let us know when you get rid of it...

julya
March 16th, 2009, 10:18 PM
You try with a q-tip, if you can see the hair in the mirror.

Cereus
March 16th, 2009, 10:23 PM
How weird. How awful. That has never happened to me and I hope it never does.

Juneii
March 16th, 2009, 10:39 PM
agh god, I'm chocking at my own memory. it's one of the worst feelings.

I'm assuming the hair is, for lack of better words, no longer attached to your head? How far down is it? you can try gurgling water, or eating something dry and absorbent like bread?

that way your throat isn't so wet, the hair may just be wet and sticking to the side of your throat? I'm not entirely sure if that theory really works and it might make it worse but if you're desperate you might give it a try.

Dianyla
March 16th, 2009, 10:45 PM
I've experienced something similar, and it was very annoying. :tmi:

Have you tried vigorously gargling with salt water? Saline solution won't cause irritation of your throat and mucus membranes.

bouton99
March 17th, 2009, 08:33 AM
When I had that once drinking lots of sparkling water helped me. I think it was the gas that got to it.

Good luck!

Anje
March 17th, 2009, 09:24 AM
Ack! I just want to wish you luck -- it sounds like it would feel really awful.

If you're going to go groping around back there, in addition to being over a sink, it might be better on an empty stomach (like before breakfast).

Forever_Sophie
March 17th, 2009, 09:59 AM
Just another wish of good luck! I can't imagine what you're feeling. Hope it's out soon!