PDA

View Full Version : Avatar pics go byebye?

royalscorpio
March 7th, 2008, 05:12 PM
Anyone elses avatar pics go byebye? I had to re upload mine.

royalscorpio
March 7th, 2008, 05:13 PM
Huh, and it's still not showing up. Odd.

Flaxen
March 7th, 2008, 05:21 PM
You have a profile picture, though. Did you mean for that to be your avatar?

Shermie Girl
March 7th, 2008, 05:25 PM
It won't allow me to upload my butterflies. *cry* No animated images. So I guess it is time to find something new... *sigh*

royalscorpio
March 7th, 2008, 05:39 PM
You have a profile picture, though. Did you mean for that to be your avatar?

Heeheee, yup. Opps! I fixed it. :) Thanks. :) Shame they got lost to begin with, though!

royalscorpio
March 7th, 2008, 05:40 PM
It won't allow me to upload my butterflies. *cry* No animated images. So I guess it is time to find something new... *sigh*

Yeah. I wanted to upload an animated one too, since I needed to upload something new! Ah well. :)

curls2grow
March 7th, 2008, 08:07 PM
I had my old avatar hosted on photobucket and linked to it. I tried all 4 of the photobucket linnks in the new avatar setup and none of them work. Can anyone help me figure out how to do do that?

Flaxen
March 7th, 2008, 08:11 PM
I had my old avatar hosted on photobucket and linked to it. I tried all 4 of the photobucket linnks in the new avatar setup and none of them work. Can anyone help me figure out how to do do that?

Post the photobucket link, and I'll give it a try. :smile:

wintersun99
March 7th, 2008, 08:27 PM

I don't even recognize your posts anymore, without the signature hair! I was sorry to read about you taking the henna removal one step too far and that you lost some length, but hopefully it isn't too bad. :)

Shermie Girl
March 7th, 2008, 08:29 PM

The way I did it was to use the URL option. I erased the start of the URL already in the box and copied and pasted the Direct Link line of code under the pic in my Photobucket account and saved. Worked like a charm.

I hope that made sense. :)

curls2grow
March 7th, 2008, 08:34 PM
Wonderful instructions, clear as a bell -- but I get "this is not a valid image file" when I hit save/submit. Wondering why it would not be a valid image file now, when it was fine previously. File extension is ".bmp" if that matters.

ETA: I dug a little deeper at photobucket to see if my failed avatar efforts had anything to do with sizing. When I tried to edit the pic at photobucket, it said something about the pic owner or source (which I figured was me or my computer), So I uploaded the avatar again to photobucket under a different filename, put the link on LHC avatar screen and it worked that time. :)

Shermie Girl
March 7th, 2008, 08:37 PM
Wonderful instructions, clear as a bell -- but I get "this is not a valid image file" when I hit save/submit. Wondering why it would not be a valid image file now, when it was fine previously. File extension is ".bmp" if that matters.

Hmmm... I don't know. I am not a 'puter skilled person. I was happy to figure out how to link my avatar from P-bucket here. :o

Shermie Girl
March 7th, 2008, 08:40 PM
I don't even recognize your posts anymore, without the signature hair! I was sorry to read about you taking the henna removal one step too far and that you lost some length, but hopefully it isn't too bad. :)

Thank you. :flowers: It's pretty bad. And short. But... It will grow. It always does. *Trying to be a big girl about this.* :)

Tabitha
March 8th, 2008, 04:16 AM
My avatar is being rejected, even though I've scaled it down and hosted it on ImageShack:

ETA how bizarre ... the site message told me it wasn't valid, but now I see it in this reply I just posted!

biggeorge
March 8th, 2008, 07:47 AM
It keeps telling me my avatar pic is being rejected also.

But it did appear! MAGIC!

k_hepburn
March 11th, 2008, 04:44 AM
Ahem, this is a liiiiiiittle bit embarrassing since everybody else is managing to do it just fine, but if I don't have any suitable pictures for an avatar on my computer (no digital camera yet, alas) how do I go about finding a suitably sized picture on the internet? Are there any websites with collections of avatare-suited pictures out there, like there are for smilies? And once I've found a picture I like, how do I go about incorporating it into my LHC profile?

AKA - could somebody please spell out the "Avatar for Dummies" instructions for me?

Greetings,

katharine

aisling
March 11th, 2008, 06:58 AM
Google "free avatar" or just "avatar", there's a bunch of sites with suitable sized pictures, make sure you don't chose a animated one. Then I prefer to right click on the pic and save it on my hard drive, that way I have a copy if it disappears and then you just add it (User CP link in the top bar -> Edit avatar).

k_hepburn
March 11th, 2008, 08:44 AM
Thank you so much, aisling. As you can see: it worked!!!

katharine

Leisha
March 11th, 2008, 02:45 PM
My avatar pic was gone as well (duh :p) and I didn't have it saved on my computer any more. So I spent an hour and a half (probably more) trying to find the exact same strawberry on google images but I couldn't find it :( I was really starting to miss it.

Then I got the brilliant idea to log in on the "old" lhc (archive forum) and of course there was my strawberry!! :D Why oh why didn't I try that sooner, lol. :o

It's strange seeing so few avatars, but I guess they will be reappearing the next couple of days/weeks as people reupload theirs. It helps recognise people, definitely!

Pat
March 18th, 2008, 07:34 PM
Mine vanished too and considering the amount of time it took me to upload it the first time, I thought it was going to take me at least half a day to get it up again... It was nice to see that it only took me a couple minutes! I only wish that getting to know all the new features would be as fast as the avatar thing!